PDA

View Full Version : Ethics, morality and DP members.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Who is ethical here and why? Who is steady in their political philosophy rather than wishy-washy(flip floppers)? As the OP of this thread I will not list anybody yet other than the five ladies that are very solid in their political convictions. They are Abbey, Kat, Sassy, Wiccan and Gabby. And don't shoot me if I fail to name a few other ladies here because I seem to keep forgetting if the are female or male but my thanks given on their posts indicate I see their intelligence and steadfastness. I believe there are no wrong answers here as it's a judgment call. I can name those members in opposition to my conservative and far right philosophy that are ethically presenting that opposition but am more interested in what other members here think. This should go far past any simple favoritism type of thing. Please cite only the positive and not use this to bad mouth anybody . --Tyr

Abbey Marie
11-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Tyr, that is a very nice thing to say. And I am glad to see you have included Gabby in your list. She is so much more than the person some people here portray her to be.

Not female, but I think Rev fits your description very well. As do you!

glockmail
11-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't see how you can equate ethics and morality with political convictions. We have posters here who are solidly on the Left who use every excuse to defend liberal politicians yet use skewer conservatives for doing the exact same thing. Hypocrisy is neither ethical or moral.

cadet
11-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I tend to be rock steady in my views. Till something showed up and I discovered I was wrong. It made me really look at what I stood for and think about it. Now I think republicans are kinda stupid. As are liberals. I'd place myself currently as a anarchist libertarian. (I say anarchist because I believe what the founders believe, just enough gov't so nobody rose and created a communist gov't, but no more)
I use to be against pot. Now I don't care what you do with your body.
I use to be highly conservative. Then I learned I differ on quite a few things with them. (I still stand up for them, I just disagree on a few issues)
I also use to be anti-gay. Now I'm just anti-gay marriage. Call it a civil union and I'd have no issue with it. But forcing churches to conform to gay marriage is just wrong. And talking about gays to kids and telling them they're gay at a young age is a recipe for disaster. They'll just believe it and then it's a self fulfilling prophecy...

There's a bit of a difference between conviction and being bull headed. By my ethics, I'm fine with admitting I'm wrong. But I don't have to do that very often :rolleyes:

WiccanLiberal
11-01-2013, 11:47 AM
I think ethics and morality and political opinion have to be linked. I try to define my positions and opinions by their fit with my moral compass. I can therefor support a position wholeheartedly. But that also lets me realize that others may not hold the same opinion and do so in their own honest way. They can be opposed to me and yet be respected for that. And thank you for the regard.

glockmail
11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
...I'd place myself currently as a anarchist libertarian. (I say anarchist because I believe what the founders believe, just enough gov't so nobody rose and created a communist gov't, but no more)... You're making a mistake by calling yourself an anarchist. Yeah you can define it any way that you want but a political affiliation is defined by the most vocal faction of it's members.

The Founders were libertarians, not anarchists. They believed in limited federal government, and leave the states to make their own decisions with regard to all other matters. Some believed that local governments were extremely important in people's lives. Ben Franklin was a powerful advocate of fire departments, for example.

I'm anti gay marriage as well, and actively promoted my states recent constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I don't really care that Massachusetts and Vermont are gay marriage states now. I think it's bullshit when a judge decrees it so; those decisions are best made by a super-majority of the people of those states, or at the very least by their elected representatives.

tailfins
11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Tyr, that is a very nice thing to say. And I am glad to see you have included Gabby in your list. She is so much more than the person some people here portray her to be.

Calling people trash sure sounds ethical and moral to me. Actually BEING ethical and moral doesn't matter, but only the PERCEPTION of being ethical and moral, right? :bsflag:

cadet
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
You're making a mistake by calling yourself an anarchist. Yeah you can define it any way that you want but a political affiliation is defined by the most vocal faction of it's members.

The Founders were libertarians, not anarchists. They believed in limited federal government, and leave the states to make their own decisions with regard to all other matters. Some believed that local governments were extremely important in people's lives. Ben Franklin was a powerful advocate of fire departments, for example.

I'm anti gay marriage as well, and actively promoted my states recent constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I don't really care that Massachusetts and Vermont are gay marriage states now. I think it's bullshit when a judge decrees it so; those decisions are best made by a super-majority of the people of those states, or at the very least by their elected representatives.

I'm anarchist by the standards of today's republicans! :salute:

aboutime
11-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Abbey. I agree with Tyr...to a point about all of you ladies who come here to be included in the many discussions. And, I respect all of you as much as I respect my own Wife.
But. I refuse to be a hypocrite when it comes to speaking about gabby. Who may be the nicest person on Earth. Until she proves otherwise with her never-ending, stupidity shown here.
So. While she is a BELOVED member by some. Until she feels like coming down to earth. I refuse to change, or become a hypocrite...just to make others feel happy.

gabosaurus
11-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't see how you can equate ethics and morality with political convictions. We have posters here who are solidly on the Left who use every excuse to defend liberal politicians yet use skewer conservatives for doing the exact same thing. Hypocrisy is neither ethical or moral.

Is that not part of being political opposites? You find people on the right who defend their views, yet skewer opposite viewpoints. Not to mention the ones who believe that only conservatives can be Christians.
I am liberal. If you say something that I disagree with, I am going to state otherwise. Too many people view disagreement as trolling. There is more than one viewpoint on every issue.
I preach morality from the viewpoint of someone who grew up deeply rooted in quite the opposite. I find that you often don't truly recognize sin until you find forgiveness through giving your life to God.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.

glockmail
11-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Is that not part of being political opposites? You find people on the right who defend their views, yet skewer opposite viewpoints. Not to mention the ones who believe that only conservatives can be Christians.
I am liberal. If you say something that I disagree with, I am going to state otherwise. Too many people view disagreement as trolling. There is more than one viewpoint on every issue.
I preach morality from the viewpoint of someone who grew up deeply rooted in quite the opposite. I find that you often don't truly recognize sin until you find forgiveness through giving your life to God.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.

I judge you to by the most hypocritical poster here, and you're not ethical or moral enough to admit when you are. For instance just the other day people making comparisons between Obama and Hitler and you judging that to be unethical, then me linking to a thread that you started in 2007 doing the exact same thing but with Bush. :laugh:

tailfins
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
I judge you to by the most hypocritical poster here, and you're not ethical or moral enough to admit when you are. For instance just the other day people making comparisons between Obama and Hitler and you judging that to be unethical, then me linking to a thread that you started in 2007 doing the exact same thing but with Bush. :laugh:

Irrespective of any political beliefs, she's an abusive asshole. If she were a TEA Partier, I still wouldn't have anything to do with her.

glockmail
11-01-2013, 02:42 PM
By the way Gabs I know many libs who consider themselves to be Christians. There happens to be a special place in hell for hose who misinterpret the religion to suit their political agendas. :laugh:

tailfins
11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
By the way Gabs I know many libs who consider themselves to be Christians. There happens to be a special place in hell for hose who misinterpret the religion to suit their political agendas. :laugh:

I won't make those kind of spiritual judgements. But if she is truly born again she's got a HUGE attitude adjustment (in the Hank Williams, Jr. sense of the word) coming her way.

glockmail
11-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I won't make those kind of spiritual judgements. I will. I've seen them use the Bible to justify sodomy and homosexuality. Some claim that they are preachers, so teach these lies.

Arbo
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Ethics? Most people have a warped sense of ethics… if something follows their preconceived beliefs it's ethical. That's the extent of their thinking.

Morals? Most often code word for 'what the bible says' and 'how we want to insert ourselves into the lives of others'.

Neither side has much of either of the above BTW. Both parties are full of hypocrites and brain dead sheep, and very much lacking in any consistency in their views. There is only one 'thing' to base all political decisions upon, and it is what all my political beliefs go back to:

Abbey Marie
11-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Calling people trash sure sounds ethical and moral to me. Actually BEING ethical and moral doesn't matter, but only the PERCEPTION of being ethical and moral, right? :bsflag:

Your point above, while simultaneously treating Gabby pretty much like trash, is noted.

red states rule
11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
I was raised and taught you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do

Also a major character trait is how you treat people that cannot do anything for you. An example would be the waiter/waitress at the restaurant. The person clearing at your work place. Are you polite? Do you treat them with respect? Or do you look down on them?

I watch how others treat them and it tells me a lot about them

glockmail
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
But Gabs is trash.