PDA

View Full Version : I tried to get my daughter to post here

gabosaurus
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
She is proud of being 12 years old and views herself as "almost adult." So I thought she might come here and talk about herself. But she turned me down. Because "old people are boring" and "politics are stupid and boring."
So I allowed her to read the board for the first time. She looked at a few things and decided that "nothing was interesting."
I haven't decided whether she is genuinely disinterested or if we are being trolled by a seventh grader. :dunno:

Nukeman
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
She is proud of being 12 years old and views herself as "almost adult." So I thought she might come here and talk about herself. But she turned me down. Because "old people are boring" and "politics are stupid and boring."
So I allowed her to read the board for the first time. She looked at a few things and decided that "nothing was interesting."
I haven't decided whether she is genuinely disinterested or if we are being trolled by a seventh grader. :dunno:

gabbs I think its great if your daughter wants to read some of the postings and interact with others. I think conversing and interacting in these types of settings help to not only broaden but improve the debating skills needed later in life..

jimnyc
11-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Gabby can get on my nerves as well, but this shouldn't have nothing to do with her kid. Hell, for that fact, why even jump on her in the lounge? Where she's not trolling? How about saving the negative replies for when she deserves it? I give it to her when she trolls in an unprovoked manner, and to an extent that is exactly what others are doing to her right now.

Look how cool it worked out for Tyr having his son post. I would love to see other members kids have threads, or moderated areas, where we can interact with them and see how they feel about things, whether political or not (the parent can decide that).

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Gabby can get on my nerves as well, but this shouldn't have nothing to do with her kid. Hell, for that fact, why even jump on her in the lounge? Where she's not trolling? How about saving the negative replies for when she deserves it? I give it to her when she trolls in an unprovoked manner, and to an extent that is exactly what others are doing to her right now.

Look how cool it worked out for Tyr having his son post. I would love to see other members kids have threads, or moderated areas, where we can interact with them and see how they feel about things, whether political or not (the parent can decide that). I'd be happy if Gabby's daughter decided to join here and participate. She is 12 I believe I read and quite a number of years older than Justin so his reading her thoughts would be good IMHO. He has asked several times about other kids posting here and told him none his age or even near it that I know of . He looked puzzled and then told me point blank that many of his new friends were kids older than him and he thought they were real cool and good. :laugh: I didn't have the heart to explain they are all adults. As of now Justin is too young to post on the political subjects we discuss here but Gabby's child at that age is not too young IMHO. Justin will very likely be posting on political subjects around ten years old and most of it will likely be asking questions! Of course if he is totally against I will certainly not force it but now he sees me doing it and thinks its a fantastic and cool thing to do. I am all for his learning early that the world demands that we constantly gain knowledge or it leaves us far behind. That's a disadvantage I do not want him to have. Schools are preparing the kids early for this vast amount of knowledge the computer age has blasted us with so we need to understand our kids have that advantage to grab onto if we offer it to them. -Tyr

tailfins
11-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Look how cool it worked out for Tyr having his son post. I would love to see other members kids have threads, or moderated areas, where we can interact with them and see how they feel about things, whether political or not (the parent can decide that).

My philosophy is to judge each person's actions without regard to whom they are related. You have mentioned that this is an adult forum. Actually, it's almost not safe for work.

jimnyc
11-02-2013, 10:59 AM
My philosophy is to judge each person's actions without regard to whom they are related. You have mentioned that this is an adult forum. Actually, it's almost not safe for work.

Quite true, we would like to consider this an adult forum. But that shouldn't mean that these adults can't be mature enough to allow a parent to discuss their child, or have their child "own" a thread where they can post without the parent fearing the worst.

I take that judging one step further if I can. If a person is an ass in a thread, I may point it out. If someone is cool in a thread, I either am cool in return, or I ignore the thread. I don't see a need to have a thread ruined based on prior bad feelings or other subjects.

gabosaurus
11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
My daughter has been taught to be polite and respectful toward adults. But she does have wicked snarky streak (don't know she got that from :rolleyes: ). Which has gotten me a few calls from her school regarding kids with hurt feelings.
Truth be told, she is not interested in adult topics. She is quite willing to discuss our cat, cute pop stars, or our upcoming trip to Australia. She can tell you who Gavrilo Princip is and discuss his place in history. But she doesn't know who John Boehner is and really doesn't care.
Sorry people, but we are old and uninteresting. We can argue about politics and religious differences all we want. But if we aren't up to date on the new song by Jason Aldean or Kelly Clarkson, we are boring. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 12:11 PM
My daughter has been taught to be polite and respectful toward adults. But she does have wicked snarky streak (don't know she got that from :rolleyes: ). Which has gotten me a few calls from her school regarding kids with hurt feelings.
Truth be told, she is not interested in adult topics. She is quite willing to discuss our cat, cute pop stars, or our upcoming trip to Australia. She can tell you who Gavrilo Princip is and discuss his place in history. But she doesn't know who John Boehner is and really doesn't care.
Sorry people, but we are old and uninteresting. We can argue about politics and religious differences all we want. But if we aren't up to date on the new song by Jason Aldean or Kelly Clarkson, we are boring. :cool: Only names I recognize in that was Boehner and Clarkson. And only Clarkson because my wife loves her songs. I am not even a fan of Boehner because he is a dumbass that hasn't a clue what the real threats are and how we have less than 4 years to solve this mess or civil war will eventual result. So your daughter discussing kid things would be a refreshing thing to read for a change . Of course more for the females to read than the guys. The point is to let the kids learn and participate without we adults hammering them. How that can be done here is JIM/MODS jobs not mine. Jim indicated he thinks our kids "owning " a thread here is a good idea. Perhaps you could suggest to your daughter to simply start a thread and talk about anything she likes. That was my idea when Justin kept bugging me to let him say hi to folks here. So far that thread has been great and has had no bad posting at all. Which does show members here can behave when relating to a child. I have no problem with Justin relating to adults here as long as both parties's know the true age of each other and act appropriately. As of now he thinks his new friends here are just older kids. I'm fine with that now. Later when older he 'll learn the truth and it'll not matter only thing will matter is they were and are his "friends".--Tyr

Jeff
11-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old, the 12 year old will read over my shoulder and shows interest in whats going on but the 11 year old could care less, now if I pull up the sport thread he is there. It might be nice to have a section where these kids could post together and interact with each other on what ever subject interest them

tailfins
11-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old, the 12 year old will read over my shoulder and shows interest in whats going on but the 11 year old could care less, now if I pull up the sport thread he is there. It might be nice to have a section where these kids could post together and interact with each other on what ever subject interest them

My sons form political opinions based on things that affect them. For example my youngest son wanted to buy a souvenir when we were in Provincetown, Mass. He walked out angry because all the souvenirs were "inappropriate" (his words); the souvenirs were intended to appeal to homosexual men. We once day went bicycling in downtown Providence, RI. Both boys noticed that bicycles that only had the frame locked up had the wheels stolen. They understand we get to live in nice places and go on vacation where there are jobs. You have to build that bridge between politics and things that are part of their lives. My youngest really surprised me when he asked "Don't niggers know how to do anything besides cause trouble?" I told him he can decide that for himself and reminded him not to use those terms in public. He gave me an annoyed look and reminded me he wasn't stupid. I asked he where he picked that up. It turns out to be his best friend back in Florida that he stays in touch with to this day.

jimnyc
11-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Sorry people, but we are old and uninteresting. We can argue about politics and religious differences all we want. But if we aren't up to date on the new song by Jason Aldean or Kelly Clarkson, we are boring. :cool:

Explain to her that topics are made by the posters, not the readers! She is free to create a "hello" post and just talk to "us" when she wants to, and she could ask questions about the world and us crazy old people, or she could rant about how much homework she gets. You don't have to let her read anything else outside of that if you don't want to. I can assure you that nothing bad will be allowed in these types of threads. Anyone pushing it will be removed ASAP.

Maybe she would like to start a thread in the animals section and discuss pets and other members pets? Maybe she would be surprised at what music the old people listen to, and how we still listen to some of the music from her up and coming generation! And with your permission maybe we can make her listen to some Zeppelin, Stones & maybe Iron Maiden, to make sure the cool stuff gets handed down!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I have a 11 year old and a 12 year old, the 12 year old will read over my shoulder and shows interest in whats going on but the 11 year old could care less, now if I pull up the sport thread he is there. It might be nice to have a section where these kids could post together and interact with each other on what ever subject interest them That is great and you letting each decide for himself is the right way to go too. Perhaps suggest your 12 year old start his own thread here in the lounge and discuss anything he likes. If its about guns, motorcycles, cars , hunting , fishing, sports etc--" guy thangs" and even girls-:laugh: many of us "old dogs" can give some good advice as long you approve and its pg rated.. Tyr

jafar00
11-02-2013, 03:01 PM

I don't think this is a good forum for children. Very few of us here have the self control to moderate our own writing let alone rely on stricter moderation to make it a more friendly place.

jimnyc
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't think this is a good forum for children. Very few of us here have the self control to moderate our own writing let alone rely on stricter moderation to make it a more friendly place.

I wouldn't recommend full and free access to the entire forum for ones child. But threads similar to what Tyr's son has done should be fine. I'd like to think the adults here are mature enough to not allow certain things to go into a thread written by a child. They wouldn't get a second chance to do so, that's for sure. I just think it's a fun thing every now and again. I don't think any of them would want to go around the entire board like the adults do anyway, but it's fun to let them interact a little, even if it needs to be supervised.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't think this is a good forum for children. Very few of us here have the self control to moderate our own writing let alone rely on stricter moderation to make it a more friendly place. I disagree Jafar. My son's thread has went along over 6 pages with absolutely no problems, not even a hint at a problem. Of course I keep him confined solely to that thread as he is only 6 years old. Gabby's daughter should encounter no problems. Certainly will not from me and I suspect that no other member here will dare do such a low thing as to attack a child posting here. Also know Jim and Mods wouldn't allow it. Tis why I let Justin get involved. I certainly wouldn't have done that if I thought some here were low enough to attack him ! I certainly see no such member here now IMHO.. Sure we blast each other from time to time and are often very aggressive about it but doing that to a child --never!! -TYR

tailfins
11-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend full and free access to the entire forum for ones child. But threads similar to what Tyr's son has done should be fine. I'd like to think the adults here are mature enough to not allow certain things to go into a thread written by a child. They wouldn't get a second chance to do so, that's for sure. I just think it's a fun thing every now and again. I don't think any of them would want to go around the entire board like the adults do anyway, but it's fun to let them interact a little, even if it needs to be supervised.

After giving it some thought, why not? My sons watched Full Metal Jacket with me when they were 7 and 8 respectively. They have seen a gay pride event. We all thought of it as a zoo of sub-humans. We have cruised slums. We have discussed what happens if another kid stashed weed in your backpack and you get blamed. I don't shield my sons from the hard edges of society, but I want to be around to explain what they see.

Kathianne
11-02-2013, 11:58 PM

I do not have young kids and am not sure that I'd want them seeing some of the stuff I post, if I did have any younger ones.

Now I've seen Justin's thread and it's obvious that it was used to introduce him to one of the places his dad visits. Kinda cool at that, I've only seen nice responses and that's as it should be.

Gabby's daughter is older and I loved her posts as well, though a 12 year old may well end up reading more than I would like. Gabby though for the most part, just posts her occasional flames and streams of consciousness-nothing much to raise her daughter's eyebrows, though some of the responses to her? Arrrk!

I think messageboards are quite cool, but would look for some age appropriate ones with kids of similar interests. I know Danielle is into history, my guess there are some others interested, though they may not be 'very active boards' might be of interest to her:

(probably already knows this one):

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/

The following is a good site, might be a place she likes to read and find out more about what they are speaking about. Some of the discussion, most actually, would be college level. However Danielle, from what your mom says, I'm guessing you are heading for AP American, European, maybe more in HS. Some of these topics you might find some 'easy reads' in your school library now, expand upon later.

http://historum.com/

gabosaurus
11-03-2013, 08:26 PM
We were at a restaurant and they had a football game on. A score flashed that the Steelers were losing big time. My daughter knows zero about football, but saw the score and said "uh oh, Katie is not going to be happy. And I bet Jim from your board is going to be sad, too."
I am guessing she described Jim's misery pretty accurately.

Trigg
11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
personally I wouldn't want my younger kids on a discussion forum. There is just too much to watch our for.

My older son posts here, but he can take care of himself. Some of his posts leave me shacking my head, but I stay out of it because he needs to learn to defend his opinions. He's an adult though, not 12.

jimnyc
11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Cleaned thread and moved fighting to the cage.