PDA

View Full Version : Black boxes in cars.

cadet
11-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally, I thought this was a joke. I heard about it a few months ago, and kinda laughed it off and went on.
But I'm still hearing about it.

Apparently, uncle sam wants to start taxing you on how much you drive. Says they need more taxes. And they'll just tax you on using your own car that you fill with already taxed gas.

Are they serious?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-should-the-government-pay-for-highways-by-tracking-how-far-you-drive-20131028,0,6186873.story#axzz2jQZniQWn

fj1200
11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally, I thought this was a joke. I heard about it a few months ago, and kinda laughed it off and went on.
But I'm still hearing about it.

Apparently, uncle sam wants to start taxing you on how much you drive. Says they need more taxes. And they'll just tax you on using your own car that you fill with already taxed gas.

Are they serious?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-should-the-government-pay-for-highways-by-tracking-how-far-you-drive-20131028,0,6186873.story#axzz2jQZniQWn

The idea is to find a replacement for the tax on gasoline...

In theory it's a better way. In reality a fricking bureaucratic nightmare with major privacy issues.

Arbo
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM

This is something they have been pushing for a long long time. Of course if put in place, the people it would hurt most are the lower end of the economic spectrum.

fj1200
11-01-2013, 03:53 PM
This is something they have been pushing for a long long time. Of course if put in place, the people it would hurt most are the lower end of the economic spectrum.

I'm sure that they'll get a tax credit up to 800 billion percent of the poverty line though. Because that's nice.

cadet
11-01-2013, 05:59 PM

And those dumb enough not to take it out...

Arbo
11-01-2013, 06:07 PM
And those dumb enough not to take it out...

Oh, if they make it mandatory, there will be a law against that. Be sure of that.

cadet
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh, if they make it mandatory, there will be a law against that. Be sure of that.

Oh, I'm sorry sir. It just kinda... broke.

aboutime
11-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Oh, I'm sorry sir. It just kinda... broke.

cadet. Would you trust anyone who would make up that kind of story?

Showing how you would intentionally find a way to break the law. Says more than you know.

cadet
11-01-2013, 06:38 PM
cadet. Would you trust anyone who would make up that kind of story?

Showing how you would intentionally find a way to break the law. Says more than you know.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -Thomas Jefferson.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
In theory it's a better way. In reality a fricking bureaucratic nightmare with major privacy issues. Exactly what kind of "privacy rights" did Stalin , Mao or Hitler allow the private citizen?? The people behind these changes think the same way. No citizen right ever trumps the State' s rights. They just say for security reasons the State needs to do this or must force you the citizen not to do that. It covers every damn thing. Obama already thinks and governs as much as he can get by with that way now.. --Tyr

Arbo
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Exactly what kind of "privacy rights" did Stalin , Mao or Hitler allow the private citizen??

Perhaps I missed some breaking news, but last I recall, none of those people were in charge of the USA. :laugh:

aboutime
11-01-2013, 07:26 PM
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -Thomas Jefferson.

cadet. I honestly don't care how many of the Founding Fathers you quote here. Show us ONE of them who approved of breaking any laws. Because Jefferson said that, so long ago. It doesn't give any present day American citizen the right to intentionally BREAK any laws.

And you didn't answer my first question.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-01-2013, 07:35 PM
When are they going to put some of those black boxes on Obama's many teleprompters?? Or better yet attach lie detectors to them!! Make it give a sound like a gunshot every time the ffing weasel lies. It would be going off like a 50 cal . machine gun being emptied at an advancing enemy platoon.. .. :laugh:-Tyr

Arbo
11-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Funny, that's the sort of quote that many of the extreme pro gunners use when the talk is about government outlawing and taking their guns, yet I doubt they will approve of your use of it to disconnect a black box. :laugh:

cadet
11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
cadet. I honestly don't care how many of the Founding Fathers you quote here. Show us ONE of them who approved of breaking any laws. Because Jefferson said that, so long ago. It doesn't give any present day American citizen the right to intentionally BREAK any laws.

And you didn't answer my first question.

You really don't understand how far america has gone into the shitter do you?
Do you know how many laws are unjust these days? 5 years ago I would have said we still stood a chance at going back to the right thing. Now the only thing standing between us and a better america is a revolution.

aboutime
11-01-2013, 09:43 PM
You really don't understand how far america has gone into the shitter do you?
Do you know how many laws are unjust these days? 5 years ago I would have said we still stood a chance at going back to the right thing. Now the only thing standing between us and a better america is a revolution.

Never mind cadet. If you can't bring yourself to honestly answer my first question. Maybe you should consider how YOU might be part of the problem that is causing America to go into the shitter.
All I asked was two small, simple questions. And all you can do is blast at me?
My grandchildren have more common sense than that. And they answer simple questions.

Gaffer
11-01-2013, 09:58 PM
First of all I'm not putting a box in my truck. They would have to do it in the dead of night while I'm sleeping and then I would rip it out when I found it. Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's right or that I have to obey it. The problem with this country is there are too many laws, rules and regulations.

fj1200
11-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Exactly what kind of "privacy rights" did Stalin , Mao or Hitler allow the private citizen?? The people behind these changes think the same way. No citizen right ever trumps the State' s rights. They just say for security reasons the State needs to do this or must force you the citizen not to do that. It covers every damn thing. Obama already thinks and governs as much as he can get by with that way now.. --Tyr

Ummmmmmmmm...... Privacy issues are why it won't fly here though the bureaucratic nightmare of it all will give it the final nail.

red states rule
11-02-2013, 04:25 AM
This is a classic example of people doing what liberals tell them to do and then they are punished for it

Libs told people to buy fuel efficient cars, drive less, and conserve energy. People did that as the price of gas (thanks to Obama's non existent energy policy) and people used less gas. Of course government took in less revenue from the gas tax

Well that is unacceptable. Government will never make due with less

So now the left want to tax us by the mile. Of course I do see where this would replace the gas tax and I am sure politicians would (as usual) exempt themselves from the law

Bottom line is, liberals will find a way to screw you over no matter if you obey them or not

And yes there is a huge privacy issue but that does not seem to bother politicians on both sides of the aisle

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Ummmmmmmmm...... Privacy issues are why it won't fly here though the bureaucratic nightmare of it all will give it the final nail. I am not so sure about that because I heard exactly that about obamacare when it first got cranked up and everybody I talked to boohooed the very idea that it would ever pass!!! And look where it is now! Same thing when the first suggestion was ever made about the Feds drone striking here within the United States but apparently Obama is very sure he has that authority. Aren't you overlooking who and what kind of bastard we currently have in charge!??? As well as not admitting that the SCOTUS has been corrupted ?? As my grandfather always cautioned , never think that poisonous snake lying there is dead or sleeping. Best to shoot it in the head before making such a huge and possibly deadly assumption . Too many Americans made that mistaken assumption about obamacare and look what it got us. -Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 09:38 AM
This is a classic example of people doing what liberals tell them to do and then they are punished for it

Libs told people to buy fuel efficient cars, drive less, and conserve energy. People did that as the price of gas (thanks to Obama's non existent energy policy) and people used less gas. Of course government took in less revenue from the gas tax

Well that is unacceptable. Government will never make due with less

So now the left want to tax us by the mile. Of course I do see where this would replace the gas tax and I am sure politicians would (as usual) exempt themselves from the law

Bottom line is, liberals will find a way to screw you over no matter if you obey them or not

And yes there is a huge privacy issue but that does not seem to bother politicians on both sides of the aisle

Tax us by the mile and repeal those gas taxes. hah,hah,hah ha Never happen, they'll never repeal those gas taxes!! However they may yet tax us by the miles we drive. But they'll keep those gas taxes too. Look at how many cities/counties institute a tax supposedly to fund building a new jail or some other large project . The write the law for this tax to be for four years because that will raise the amount highest estimated revenue needed to build or fund whatever project. Yet the taxes are still being paid today years and many decades later. I've seen it around here several places I've lived. County jail was built in the late 60's funded on a "four year sales tax" increase ! Now over 40 years later we all still pay that tax. No sir , the number of times the government repeals a tax in the last hundred years or so can be counted on one hand . Now lets pretend they do and the miles driven crap gets implement, people greatly curtail the amount of driving they do and the big G DOESNT MAKE THE EXTRA BILIONS MONTHLY THEY NEED. What will they do about that? They just raise the amount of the tax until they get the required number of billions per day! We are already tax slaves and most Americans do not even know it because lots of the taxes are hidden. --Tyr

cadet
11-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Never mind cadet. If you can't bring yourself to honestly answer my first question. Maybe you should consider how YOU might be part of the problem that is causing America to go into the shitter.
All I asked was two small, simple questions. And all you can do is blast at me?
My grandchildren have more common sense than that. And they answer simple questions.

No... I would not trust someone with that kind of story. But I would salute them.

And no, I guarantee I'm not part of the problem. Unless you're insinuating that I'm not doing anything to fix it just like everyone else. Then I am part of the problem.

fj1200
11-02-2013, 01:22 PM
I am not so sure about that because I heard exactly that about obamacare when it first got cranked up and everybody I talked to boohooed the very idea that it would ever pass!!! And look where it is now!

I don't recall most saying that. It was clear that they would pass something, anything, just to save face.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't recall most saying that. It was clear that they would pass something, anything, just to save face. Most conservatives I know where saying exactly that . Because they knew how silly and how unconstitutional it was. Yep, I know SCOTUS ruled it was constitutional but as God is my witness those bastards voting that it was are all worthless scum not worth the damn price of a popsicle. They voted political instead of doing their sworn duty and Roberts I hope dies an agonizing long and painful death for his treason. Cold-hearted-maybe but his treachery deserves no better IMHO.. Tyr

aboutime
11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
No... I would not trust someone with that kind of story. But I would salute them.

And no, I guarantee I'm not part of the problem. Unless you're insinuating that I'm not doing anything to fix it just like everyone else. Then I am part of the problem.

No 'insinuation' at all. I said, what I said. And, if you are doing something to 'as you say', FIX IT. Tell us what that might be.

fj1200
11-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Most conservatives I know where saying exactly that. Because they knew how silly and how unconstitutional it was.

Conservatives of course knew it was ridiculous but the betting money would be on something getting passed.

jimnyc
11-03-2013, 06:57 AM
As far as I'm concerned, an odometer and a bill of sale is more than enough tracking for me. A black box of sorts has too much room for them to track even more information. Most of them, at least under that term, also track movements. Where I go should be no business of theirs. Hell, I don't believe how many miles I drive should be their business either.

red states rule
11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Politicians are trying to see how far they can push. It is clear there is not a huge outrage over the NSA spying, or the IRS targeting people due their political views. So why should they even consider NOT pushing ideas that can further intrude on your privacy?

Until the masses stand up and kick them repeatedly in the ass they will continue to do what they are doing

Same way if you do not come down on your kids. If you do nothing about bad behavior - the bad behavior will continue

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-03-2013, 09:28 AM
As far as I'm concerned, an odometer and a bill of sale is more than enough tracking for me. A black box of sorts has too much room for them to track even more information. Most of them, at least under that term, also track movements. Where I go should be no business of theirs. Hell, I don't believe how many miles I drive should be their business either. This is where obamacare comes into play. Speeding causes wrecks and healthcare costs skyrocket due to the costs of the severe and lifelong injuries resulting from such car accidents. The black box can record your speeding and even be used to have a governor in it to prevent speeding. Yes sir, all done to save government money and of course your safety. :laugh: That to me is what is behind this black box idea. Just more government control over the sheep. Just consider --Baitcar-- the TV show and you'll get the idea what its heading to. THEY NATURALLY WOULD TRY TO SELL THIS IDEA AS A TAX REVENUE GENERATING PLAN ONLY BASED UPON A TAX FOR NUMBER OF MILES DRIVEN ! -Tyr

Nukeman
11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

And you didn't answer my first question.Are you truly this dense??? Do you not understand that at the time of the drafting of the Declaration of Independence we were under BRITISH and the Kings law, and anything that they did AGAINST the crown was illegal. Hell that one was TREASON!!!!! When Paul Revere traveled and announced that "the British are coming" in CIVILIAN attire that would make him a SPY.....

I find hard to believe that someone who grew up in the United States of America could even question if the "Founding Fathers" ever broke any laws. I can say only the unjust ones!!!!!!!!!