PDA

View Full Version : Lessons my wife has learned in New England

tailfins
11-04-2013, 08:32 AM
When my wife was single she didn't like to leave South Omaha. It's basically a "Little Mexico" with a few Sudanese Africans mixed in. In places like Grand Island, my wife would get comments at a checkout such as "learn English" or "Go back where you came from". She has noticed in New England it's possible to have people in the same room and not be in their presence. As an example think of people walking past a homeless person at a subway entrance. Now, if I get a project in Omaha, we could live in a snob community like Papillion with no problem. And now my wife speaks enough English to ask "How would you like to have a Federal Civil Rights complaint"? Or now she can tell me so I can yell at the manager and ask the perpetrator why are they minimum wage white trash if they speak English so well. I didn't rescue my wife from Brazilian poverty, but rather an "old Nebraska town" with a tip-stealing hotel housekeeping manager.

I know how to deal with the following kind of people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gdmHHoI9beM#t=8

tailfins
11-04-2013, 08:58 AM
However, it's not always the locals at fault. Some of my wife's friends were murdered by a "friend" after giving them odd jobs to do. It was good deed that didn't go unpunished. My wife is a bit annoyed that her friend didn't want the perp to get the death penalty. Here is the latest news on that.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130826/NEWS/130829178

(http://www.omaha.com/article/20130826/NEWS/130829178)

Arbo
11-04-2013, 09:35 AM
New England contains some of the most rude people on the planet. This should shock nobody.

tailfins
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
New England contains some of the most rude people on the planet. This should shock nobody.

It's just a different kind of rude than Nebraska. The biggest difference is that people in New England are less likely to go out of their way to bother you. You ignore them; they ignore you. The key is getting used to having people in the same room without being in their presence. Just consider them not mentally there, kind of like they are furniture. Once you get used to that concept, it's not all that bad. Gabby is furniture here at DP as far as I'm concerned.

Arbo
11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
It's just a different kind of rude than Nebraska. The biggest difference is that people in New England are less likely to go out of their way to bother you. You ignore them; they ignore you. The key is getting used to having people in the same room without being in their presence. Just consider them not mentally there, kind of like they are furniture. Once you get used to that concept, it's not all that bad. Gabby is furniture here at DP as far as I'm concerned.

Having spent many years in new england, I disagree. Rude is a way of life up there. In your face asshats. I see for no reason at all you took a jab at another user when she wasn't even part of the discussion, are you sure you are not from New England?

tailfins
11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Having spent many years in new england, I disagree. Rude is a way of life up there. In your face asshats. I see for no reason at all you took a jab at another user when she wasn't even part of the discussion, are you sure you are not from New England?

That's some pretty high praise. I'm still learning, but haven't yet mastered the art of being a:

http://www.davepye.com/images/masshole.jpg

tailfins
11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Here is another example how the culture differs. We lived in a fancy gated community in Florida. A neighbor knocked on our door, annoyed that my youngest son was standing on the roof of the car waving at people as they went by. After asking if he was waving with all five fingers or just one, I said it was no big deal. He didn't like that answer. I mentioned this to the pastor of the first church we went to in Massachusetts. That pastor said in New England the kid could set the car on fire and no one would say a word about it.

DragonStryk72
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
When my wife was single she didn't like to leave South Omaha. It's basically a "Little Mexico" with a few Sudanese Africans mixed in. In places like Grand Island, my wife would get comments at a checkout such as "learn English" or "Go back where you came from". She has noticed in New England it's possible to have people in the same room and not be in their presence. As an example think of people walking past a homeless person at a subway entrance. Now, if I get a project in Omaha, we could live in a snob community like Papillion with no problem. And now my wife speaks enough English to ask "How would you like to have a Federal Civil Rights complaint"? Or now she can tell me so I can yell at the manager and ask the perpetrator why are they minimum wage white trash if they speak English so well. I didn't rescue my wife from Brazilian poverty, but rather an "old Nebraska town" with a tip-stealing hotel housekeeping manager.

Well, Mass is its own special kind of asshole, and they are the ones who get us all labeled as the rudest people out there, but really, they shouldn't be used as the litmus of New England. Two things primarily effect New Englanders get effected by two things that generally create the New england attitude: Winter and pop density. There was a line in the old movie Gung Ho where Katsuhito is bitching about life in Japan, saying "You go to put on your pants in the morning, and there's someone in there with you."

With both NYC and Boston, we have such high pop density that we have a tendency to compartmentalize folks. Basically, as long as you aren't making our lives harder, we don't really care, basically live and let live. This essentially insular attitude get reinforced by northern winters, where we're basically with our family/friends for months on end, with less interaction with others.

However, You should keep in mind that if you have friends in these locales, you have a group of people who will put a bat upside a guy's head if you ask. If you're in a fight, we're in a fight. We're not gonna call the cops, or talk it down, we're going to lay hands on them and take care of the problem.

tailfins
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, Mass is its own special kind of asshole, and they are the ones who get us all labeled as the rudest people out there, but really, they shouldn't be used as the litmus of New England. Two things primarily effect New Englanders get effected by two things that generally create the New england attitude: Winter and pop density. There was a line in the old movie Gung Ho where Katsuhito is bitching about life in Japan, saying "You go to put on your pants in the morning, and there's someone in there with you."

With both NYC and Boston, we have such high pop density that we have a tendency to compartmentalize folks. Basically, as long as you aren't making our lives harder, we don't really care, basically live and let live. This essentially insular attitude get reinforced by northern winters, where we're basically with our family/friends for months on end, with less interaction with others.

However, You should keep in mind that if you have friends in these locales, you have a group of people who will put a bat upside a guy's head if you ask. If you're in a fight, we're in a fight. We're not gonna call the cops, or talk it down, we're going to lay hands on them and take care of the problem.

I have been to 49 states and I have never met any place better at leaving you the 4@** alone. If it weren't for the housing shortage, staying here long term would be tempting. I check my deliverables into version control, get my pay, go home and nobody bothers me. It's hard to beat.

glockmail
11-04-2013, 07:40 PM

This pretty much nails it. Especially the compartmentalizing. When you meet someone socially, one of the first things they as is "what are you", referring to ancestry. Any other part of the country, no one cares, unless you are off the boat with an accent then people are generally interested in where you came from, not your great-grandparents.

This explains the racism that is rampant up there, especially metro Boston where I grew up. Italians live in the north end, Irish in Southie, blacks in Roxbury, and Jews in Newton. You can't ride certain parts of the subway after certain hours unless your skin is a certain color.

I moved out of there as soon as I could. I hate that fucking place.

gabosaurus
11-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Perhaps if she learned to speak English and didn't behave like she was property, she would earn some respect. Of course, she has to have a man complain to people instead of doing in herself.
Face it tailfins, you don't have a wife. You have furniture.

tailfins
11-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Perhaps if she learned to speak English and didn't behave like she was property, she would earn some respect. Of course, she has to have a man complain to people instead of doing in herself.
Face it tailfins, you don't have a wife. You have furniture.

You just lost any moral authority about respecting women. I could be a wuss and cry to the mods about you breaking the rules about attacking family members. Instead, I will just "owe you one". Don't complain when I happen to be in the mood to drop a turd on someone and you're "it". :shitfan: I will explain something to you sweetie. You talk about how well you live, but it's mostly on your husband's dime. You're almost as dependent as my wife. The difference is that you're lying to yourself by holding a low-skill union job and shirking much of your job as a wife off on him.