PDA

View Full Version : Root canal

jimnyc
11-05-2013, 10:12 AM
About 30-35 years ago when I was about 11-12 or so, my sister knocked out my front tooth with a seesaw. I ended up getting a root canal and a crown. The root canal was horrible and painful! But that was a long time ago, and I'm hoping they improved! A few years ago I had a bad tooth and chose to have it yanked instead of dealing with a root canal. Now I have another on the lower rear and I'm getting a root canal tomorrow at 11am. I figure its best to save it, even with a crown, rather than have to eventually get an implant of sorts.

Anyway, anyone else deal with a root canal in recent memory? Can anyone convince me that it isn't half bad with a shot of novacaine? I got knocked out with the tooth pull as I'm a wuss, so you can imagine I am dreading this root canal. The dentist set aside 1.5 hours! WTF??? Says he needs to do the root canal and then a post, followed by a temporary crown. In 2-3 weeks I will return to get the permanent crown put on.

tailfins
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Just pretend you're Blake Shelton in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqL7QwNohM

Arbo
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I think I have had two root canals (at least one, but pretty sure I remember a second). They were nothing. No pain, no nothing. Not an issue, though I understand in the past they could be horrible.

tailfins
11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
I did something really dumb. Being too cheap to get a root canal and crown done in the USA, I had it done in Mexico. It all had to be re-done a couple of years later. The re-do in the USA wasn't bad. Latin America is great for single guys to find women, however for dental work, not so much.

jimnyc
11-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I think I have had two root canals (at least one, but pretty sure I remember a second). They were nothing. No pain, no nothing. Not an issue, though I understand in the past they could be horrible.

I hope you're right. I have a REAL fear of going to the dentist, which is why I was knocked out a few times. Just the sound of that damn drill gives me anxiety. I hate getting my teeth drilled and it sounds like the drilling for this on will take quite awhile. Maybe I'm getting worked up for nothing, I dunno. But even the needle sends me into a panic thinking about it. That's the worse needle ever, directly into your gums. I'll gladly take that 5 seconds of pain if the root canal itself doesn't hurt.

jimnyc
11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I did something really dumb. Being too cheap to get a root canal and crown done in the USA, I had it done in Mexico. It all had to be re-done a couple of years later. The re-do in the USA wasn't bad. Latin America is great for single guys to find women, however for dental work, not so much.

I've always been a huge believer of "you get what you pay for". My concern is the pain, so I'll pay whatever amount is necessary to ease the chance of any pain. What did they give you in Mexico, some Tequila? LOL I prefer propofol!!

tailfins
11-05-2013, 11:04 AM
I've always been a huge believer of "you get what you pay for". My concern is the pain, so I'll pay whatever amount is necessary to ease the chance of any pain. What did they give you in Mexico, some Tequila? LOL I prefer propofol!!

It was Novacaine with a huge needle; not fun.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
About 30-35 years ago when I was about 11-12 or so, my sister knocked out my front tooth with a seesaw. I ended up getting a root canal and a crown. The root canal was horrible and painful! But that was a long time ago, and I'm hoping they improved! A few years ago I had a bad tooth and chose to have it yanked instead of dealing with a root canal. Now I have another on the lower rear and I'm getting a root canal tomorrow at 11am. I figure its best to save it, even with a crown, rather than have to eventually get an implant of sorts.

Anyway, anyone else deal with a root canal in recent memory? Can anyone convince me that it isn't half bad with a shot of novacaine? I got knocked out with the tooth pull as I'm a wuss, so you can imagine I am dreading this root canal. The dentist set aside 1.5 hours! WTF??? Says he needs to do the root canal and then a post, followed by a temporary crown. In 2-3 weeks I will return to get the permanent crown put on. Be afraid, be very afraid, its exceedingly painful. Glad to help.. ;)--Tyr

WiccanLiberal
11-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I have had a bunch of root canals unfortunately. Most were a great relief. I have had good dentists. The best technique seems to be heavy novocaine all around then, once drilled out, more directly in the canal. I was terrified of the first one, but once done, the relief was such a surprise I would never hesitate to go for one when needed. Piece of advice. I load up on about 800 mg of ibuprofen about an hour or two before. Also helps.

fj1200
11-05-2013, 01:49 PM
About 30-35 years ago when I was about 11-12 or so, my sister knocked out my front tooth with a seesaw.

Sounds familiar. :eek: Although not my sister and not a seesaw. Anyway, had the root canal close to 20 years ago and I don't remember that being so bad except for the abscess that had developed and they needed to leave the root of the tooth open so that the bad stuff could drain out for a couple of weeks. Let me tell ya, drink cold liquid wrong or breathe in cold air wrong and it went straight to the base of the tooth... OUCH!!! puts it mildly.

jimnyc
11-05-2013, 05:31 PM
It was Novacaine with a huge needle; not fun.

Like I said, the needle scares me as much. I always ask the dentist to let me know when to close my eyes as I really don't like to see the needles.

Be afraid, be very afraid, its exceedingly painful. Glad to help.. ;)--Tyr

Oh man, I hate you. I've been reading as much as I could to help ease my worries, your post just had me read a little more was all! :lol:

I have had a bunch of root canals unfortunately. Most were a great relief. I have had good dentists. The best technique seems to be heavy novocaine all around then, once drilled out, more directly in the canal. I was terrified of the first one, but once done, the relief was such a surprise I would never hesitate to go for one when needed. Piece of advice. I load up on about 800 mg of ibuprofen about an hour or two before. Also helps.

I'm assuming any Ibuprofen is ok? I use Advil mostly. I'm going to ask the dentist to freeze the area quickly where the needle goes, then a plentiful shot of the novacaine, and then the laughing gas on top of that. Whatever it takes to make it quick, smooth and painless.

I wonder how a root canal compares to an implant? I'll also need one of those next year for a tooth that was pulled awhile back. :(

Sounds familiar. :eek: Although not my sister and not a seesaw. Anyway, had the root canal close to 20 years ago and I don't remember that being so bad except for the abscess that had developed and they needed to leave the root of the tooth open so that the bad stuff could drain out for a couple of weeks. Let me tell ya, drink cold liquid wrong or breathe in cold air wrong and it went straight to the base of the tooth... OUCH!!! puts it mildly.

Yeah, mine already hurts from cold or warm foods/liquids, and also if I take a quick breath of cool air. While dreading this procedure, at least if all goes well this should be the end of any pain from that tooth.

Fwiw - I was standing at the side of the seesaw that was down on the ground. My sister thought it would be funny to quickly slam down the high side, so that my side would come flying up and almost take my face off, but only succeeded in taking a rather large portion of my front tooth. The ironic thing is that it was a few campsites over where I tossed a rock at Jeff and knocked his tooth out. I think we both ended up with crowns in the end! :laugh:

Jeff
11-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Jim think of it as a tattoo it only uncomfortable while they do it and maybe a short bit afterwards then it is better than it has been in a long time :thumb:

jimnyc
11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Back home and thank God it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I literally lost sleep thinking about this last night and this morning. The dentist put something like anbesol on, but stronger, waited a minute or 2 and gave me a needle. He waited about 10 minutes and then a 2nd. Rather than use the drill to break down the tooth first, he went straight to break through the cavity into the canal. The he immediately gave me another shot directly into the canal. Up til that point all I really felt was the pinch of the first needle. After the 3rd into the canal I never felt anything. My jaw started hurting towards the end but that's about it. He finished the root canal and has the post installed for the crown. I have an appointment for next Friday to have the finalized crown installed from the lab.

I am SO glad that's over. I had white knuckles holding the seat arms when I first sat down in the chair. This guy was methodical though and talked the entire team to explain things and take your mind off of it.

Abbey Marie
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
:hyper: :dance:

WiccanLiberal
11-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Back home and thank God it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I literally lost sleep thinking about this last night and this morning. The dentist put something like anbesol on, but stronger, waited a minute or 2 and gave me a needle. He waited about 10 minutes and then a 2nd. Rather than use the drill to break down the tooth first, he went straight to break through the cavity into the canal. The he immediately gave me another shot directly into the canal. Up til that point all I really felt was the pinch of the first needle. After the 3rd into the canal I never felt anything. My jaw started hurting towards the end but that's about it. He finished the root canal and has the post installed for the crown. I have an appointment for next Friday to have the finalized crown installed from the lab.

I am SO glad that's over. I had white knuckles holding the seat arms when I first sat down in the chair. This guy was methodical though and talked the entire team to explain things and take your mind off of it.
Congrats for getting through it and hope you continue to feel better.

tailfins
11-06-2013, 06:59 PM

It's only over after you get the bill! :panicsmiley:

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I am ultimately going to need a 'dental implant' or 2 down the road. All I ever knew about this was that it was a post of sorts that went into the bone, and a fake tooth installed. I now made the mistake of looking this up on Youtube. In addition to seeing an extraction, which I never saw myself, this quickly shows what is done to put in an implant. I can now safely say that this will never ever be done to me without me being knocked out first! Sorry, plain old novacaine won't be enough for this one! If you get queasy easily, don't watch this. You can fast forward to the good parts! LOL

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HGPbcTBdcso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 04:20 PM
It's only over after you get the bill! :panicsmiley:

My dental insurance sucks. We have Metlife. As it is they only cover a $2k maximum per year, and then they only cover percentages of procedures. For example, they will only be covering 60% of my root canal. If an implant is done, they will only cover 50%. The only thing decent is 2 free cleanings per year. And dental visits are expensive!!

Kathianne
11-08-2013, 02:38 AM
My dental insurance sucks. We have Metlife. As it is they only cover a $2k maximum per year, and then they only cover percentages of procedures. For example, they will only be covering 60% of my root canal. If an implant is done, they will only cover 50%. The only thing decent is 2 free cleanings per year. And dental visits are expensive!!

If not for dental insurance, they'd be affordable. Same with simple medical procedures.