PDA

View Full Version : Florida school textbook teaches about Islam but excludes all other religions!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-06-2013, 11:10 AM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/5/parents-slam-pro-islam-slant-florida-textbook/ Parents slam pro-Islam slant in Florida school textbook Hundreds of parents, angry at what they say is a biased student textbook with a decided pro-Islam slant, have launched a campaign demanding equal religious representation and planned a protest at the school board meeting this week.

The book, “World History,” devotes fully 32 pages — an entire chapter — on “Muslim Civilizations,” including descriptions of the Koran and a listing of the Five Pillars of Islam, The Daily Caller reported. But noticeably missing is information on any other religion.

Protesters are demanding that students tear out the Islam chapter until the school, in Volusia County, provide a like number of pages on other religions, the local WFTV reported.

“The problem is there needs to be balance,” said District 2 Deltona commissioner Webster Barnaby, in The Daily Caller. “In America today, Christianity is being relegated to the trash heap. Why relegate Christianity to a footnote in an entire history book, and you give an entire chapter on the teachings of Islam? To suggest that everybody knows about Christianity, that is total ignorance.”

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, meanwhile, has sent out a statement in opposition to the protest.

“This group is displaying an alarming level of intolerance and brazen disregard of minority religions,” CAIR said, adding that the protesters’ actions were “un-American.”

District officials said in The Daily Caller that they have no plans to drop the textbook, saying that other religions like Christianity and Judaism are randomly represented in other pages.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/5/parents-slam-pro-islam-slant-florida-textbook/#ixzz2jskd6ZA9
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter I told you people a year ago this is where we are headed! And look how fast we got there but the naysayers here attacked me viciously and called me a fool. See my thread , I Take My Stand , for more numerous and clear evidence of that. I ALSO POINTED OUT OBAMA'S CONNECTION TO ISLAM BUT WAS TREATED THE SAME WAY ABOUT THAT TOO. NOW WE SEE HERE A CLEAR EXAMPLE THAT PROVES MY VIEWS WERE DEAD ON ACCURATE. Who would have "thunk" it!??? Read how they tried to defend that !!!! If my child was in that school I'd tear that damn chapter out and mail it to the damn school then file a lawsuit. Just imagine the damn uproar had it been an entire chapter devoted to Jesus and the Christian faith! --Tyr

gabosaurus
11-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I wonder what the other side of this story is.

CSM
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Isn't it ironic that CAIR makes a statement about the "intolerance and brazen disregard of minority religions" and how the protestors are "un American" when many who practice Islam are supressing any other religion (to the point of killing those who do not embrace Islam). Don't bother replying to this post with assertians that Christianity has done the same in the past or with some anecdotal description of isolated incidents that have occured recently. No other religion in the modern age perpetrates as many or more henious atrocities that folks claiming to be Islamic do; some of those are even state sponsored and encouraged.

aboutime
11-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Isn't it ironic that CAIR makes a statement about the "intolerance and brazen disregard of minority religions" and how the protestors are "un American" when many who practice Islam are supressing any other religion (to the point of killing those who do not embrace Islam). Don't bother replying to this post with assertians that Christianity has done the same in the past or with some anecdotal description of isolated incidents that have occured recently. No other religion in the modern age perpetrates as many or more henious atrocities that folks claiming to be Islamic do; some of those are even state sponsored and encouraged.

CSM. Wonder if it seems odd to anyone reading this, how mentioning the words "One nation under God" in the Pledge...repeated by school children in the morning is BANNED, but discussions of ALLAH are being taught in books...probably in the same classrooms????

CAIR...can kiss my butt.

jafar00
11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
I told you people a year ago this is where we are headed! And look how fast we got there but the naysayers here attacked me viciously and called me a fool. See my thread , I Take My Stand , for more numerous and clear evidence of that. I ALSO POINTED OUT OBAMA'S CONNECTION TO ISLAM BUT WAS TREATED THE SAME WAY ABOUT THAT TOO. NOW WE SEE HERE A CLEAR EXAMPLE THAT PROVES MY VIEWS WERE DEAD ON ACCURATE. Who would have "thunk" it!??? Read how they tried to defend that !!!! If my child was in that school I'd tear that damn chapter out and mail it to the damn school then file a lawsuit. Just imagine the damn uproar had it been an entire chapter devoted to Jesus and the Christian faith! --Tyr

Get over it Tyr. It is a single chapter in a whole book. Other religions do feature in it as well apparently.

I could only find mention of this on tea party and hate blogs. Also a lot of Jewish news sites. I couldn't find a copy of the thing online either.

I know you would prefer it if the section on Islam was changed to "Muslims R Bad mmmkay?"

Kathianne
11-07-2013, 03:00 AM
I told you people a year ago this is where we are headed! And look how fast we got there but the naysayers here attacked me viciously and called me a fool. See my thread , I Take My Stand , for more numerous and clear evidence of that. I ALSO POINTED OUT OBAMA'S CONNECTION TO ISLAM BUT WAS TREATED THE SAME WAY ABOUT THAT TOO. NOW WE SEE HERE A CLEAR EXAMPLE THAT PROVES MY VIEWS WERE DEAD ON ACCURATE. Who would have "thunk" it!??? Read how they tried to defend that !!!! If my child was in that school I'd tear that damn chapter out and mail it to the damn school then file a lawsuit. Just imagine the damn uproar had it been an entire chapter devoted to Jesus and the Christian faith! --Tyr

I'm curious why the publisher wasn't named. Many texts carry that title.

red states rule
11-07-2013, 04:33 AM

Eh, it is now cool to bash Christians and their beliefs

logroller
11-07-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm curious why the publisher wasn't named. Many texts carry that title.
Pearson iirc.

tailfins
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Get over it Tyr. It is a single chapter in a whole book. Other religions do feature in it as well apparently.

I could only find mention of this on tea party and hate blogs. Also a lot of Jewish news sites. I couldn't find a copy of the thing online either.

I know you would prefer it if the section on Islam was changed to "Muslims R Bad mmmkay?"

If you consider articles as ideas for investigation, you won't obsess where they come from. If you want to blow off an idea because of the source, then don't complain when people blow off an article because it's on Owl Jazz-era (where's the dancing owl emoticon?)

Arbo
11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

What? There could be more the the whole story? Pish! There is no time for that, people must be outraged and type in big bold letters, Vent out their anger and show how little emotional control they have!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Just imagine the damn uproar had it been an entire chapter devoted to Jesus and the Christian faith! --Tyr

stevecanuck
11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I would be interested to see what the text book says about Islam. I'm sure it's the usual apologist propaganda. I would be shocked if it said anything about the sword verses or the fact that Mohamed taught and made war rather than peace.

tailfins
11-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't worry about my kids in this matter. Mohammed isn't Jesus; that's all that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z5ScrUB3Y

Hope is here, shout the news to everyone
It's a new day, peace has come, Jesus saves
Mercy triumphs at the cross
Love is come to rescue us, Jesus saves

Hope is here what a joyful noise we'll make
As we join with heaven's song
To let all the world know that Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know that Jesus saves

Free at last, every debt has been repaid
Broken hearts can be remade, Jesus saves
Sing above the storms of life, sing through the darkest night
Jesus saves

Free at last, what a joyful noise we'll make
As we join with heaven's song
To let all the world know that Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know that Jesus saves

We'll sing it out to let all the world know
That Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know
That Jesus saves

You save, you heal, restore, reveal
Your Father's heart to us
You rose to raise us from the grave

Your spirit lives in us

Sing it out to let all the world know
That Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know that
Jesus saves

Shout it out to let all the world know
That Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know that
Jesus saves

Sing it out to let all the world know
That Jesus saves
Raise a shout to let all the world know
That Jesus saves

Oh, sing it out and shout 'til the whole world knows his name
(Jesus saves)
Sing it out and shout for we will know your name
(Jesus saves)

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
What? There could be more the the whole story? Pish! There is no time for that, people must be outraged and type in big bold letters, Vent out their anger and show how little emotional control they have!

Why not save your snide remarks for those that can't control themselves towards you? I honestly don't see Tyr continually doing so to you. In fact, I've seen many times in the past few days alone where he has simply ignored your comments. I could be wrong, but I think he may even have you on ignore.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Why not save your snide remarks for those that can't control themselves towards you? I honestly don't see Tyr continually doing so to you. In fact, I've seen many times in the past few days alone where he has simply ignored your comments. I could be wrong, but I think he may even have you on ignore. Jim, I have had Arbo on ignore for many weeks now and there he will stay. I am done with discussing topics here with such as he. My time is too valuable to waste on such a person. Currently he and the banned member Conhog are on my ignore list neither will ever come off of it. And when this old dog says never he damn sure means it. Others here I oppose often I see some level of merit to them but those two none exists IMHO.-Tyr

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Jim, I have had Arbo on ignore for many weeks now and there he will stay.

That says it all. If EITHER side places the other on ignore, the other should cease as well. Obviously within a short amount of time the other person should see that one is not even addressing them or replying to them.

tailfins
11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
That says it all. If EITHER side places the other on ignore, the other should cease as well. Obviously within a short amount of time the other person should see that one is not even addressing them or replying to them.

Yeah, but that's not much fun. It's nice to have someone to serve as a tree when one's in a Snoop Dogg mood. It's a target rich environment! :pee:

jafar00
11-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Just imagine the damn uproar had it been an entire chapter devoted to Jesus and the Christian faith! --Tyr

It wouldn't have been mentioned, and you wouldn't be posting about it here.

Gaffer
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM

It was on FOX news yesterday. And it said in the article, "no other religions were mentioned". FOX reported the same. You say you could not find a copy of the book online, so how do you know other religions were mentioned?

Definitely need to know the publisher here. This is a piss poor revision of history.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-07-2013, 07:35 PM
It wouldn't have been mentioned, and you wouldn't be posting about it here. That is where you are wrong Jafar. I do not want our public schools to become seminaries and am firmly opposed to us having any form of a theocracy. --Tyr

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 07:38 PM
IMO, there shouldn't be anything at all about religions, unless mere references. Discussing something historical that happened involving the Muslim world is fine, but discussing aspects of the Quran would be wrong. Unless of course they would like to include Christian history and discuss the Bible, which we all know won't be happening.

Anyway, they should just be leaving out mentions of religion within the school. That's something that parents work with their children towards, or an individual themselves.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I know you would prefer it if the section on Islam was changed to "Muslims R Bad mmmkay?" I'd prefer if it even mentioned Islam at all that the truth be told about. However we both know that would never happen. To present the truth about it is only a concept for we that prefer truth over lies and murder. And CAIR never defends the truth about Islam when it is presented instead they attack it and it's author. And why should it be given such special treatment above all the other religions when Christianity and to a lesser extent the others are forbidden in our schools? Think they taught about Islam being UTTERLY AND EVER SO DEVASTATINGLY defeated in the battles of TOURS AND VIENNA???? NO SIR, THAT WOULD POINT TO ALLAH NOT GIVING ISLAM ITS VICTORIES. Both battles Islam had overwhelming advantage in numbers but still suffered a humiliating defeat!! And that is because the God of Abraham , Isaac and Jacob decided to stop Satan and his crew right there . Reality is a biatchhhhh sometimes and history reveals truth and brutal facts. Do try to get over it.. - ;)-Tyr

Arbo
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Why not save your snide remarks for those that can't control themselves towards you? I honestly don't see Tyr continually doing so to you. In fact, I've seen many times in the past few days alone where he has simply ignored your comments. I could be wrong, but I think he may even have you on ignore.

I was not aware it was against the rules to respond to certain messages.

Edit: I see your later post, honestly, it seems pointless to say that if someone is on ignore they can not respond to posts by those that have them on ignore. Great way to let the goon squad shut down any discussion and shut up opposing views.

gabosaurus
11-08-2013, 12:46 AM
As I recall, there are also World History chapters on the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition and Martin Luther. Those are religious topics. You can't pick and choose which historical events you want to study.

Kathianne
11-08-2013, 12:51 AM

That seems weird. I haven't found a high school or middle school text that I approve of, though not on their inability to deal with comparative religions. Indeed, that subset has usually been fairly covered.

If I was teaching and presented with such a text, there are many sources to avail oneself to for providing a better handle:

http://www.asdk12.org/depts/socialstudies/online/CompWorldReligion.asp

http://www.pbs.org/teachers/thismonth/worldreligion/index1.html

http://www.pbs.org/teachers/thismonth/worldreligion/index2.html

http://www.tolerance.org/lesson/taking-closer-look-religions-around-world

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 06:40 AM
I was not aware it was against the rules to respond to certain messages.

Edit: I see your later post, honestly, it seems pointless to say that if someone is on ignore they can not respond to posts by those that have them on ignore. Great way to let the goon squad shut down any discussion and shut up opposing views.

Umm, no. The point is to try and stop feuds from ruining non-stop threads. It's one thing if you address a point he is making and he happens to have you on ignore, and another thing entirely when you are flaming someone who has you on ignore. The only thing looking to be shut down is the unprovoked crap towards a member that already has you on ignore. Anything at all other than the flaming is just fine, so save the stuff about anything being shut down.

CSM
11-08-2013, 07:23 AM
As I recall, there are also World History chapters on the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition and Martin Luther. Those are religious topics. You can't pick and choose which historical events you want to study.

Yep, to ignore the fact that religion has and still does have an impact on global events is unrealistic.

Arbo
11-08-2013, 09:15 AM
The only thing looking to be shut down is the unprovoked crap towards a member that already has you on ignore. Anything at all other than the flaming is just fine, so save the stuff about anything being shut down.

Again, it is your biased opinion what is flaming. It is also noted that several who have others on ignore keep discussing those they have on ignore, yet I have not seen a public lashing for that.

Thanks for the bias and stacked deck.

For the sake of the thread when you respond can it be put in the thread in the cage? Thanks.

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Again, it is your biased opinion what is flaming. It is also noted that several who have others on ignore keep discussing those they have on ignore, yet I have not seen a public lashing for that.

Thanks for the bias and stacked deck.

For the sake of the thread when you respond can it be put in the thread in the cage? Thanks.

The point has been made. Everyone now knows Tyr has you on ignore. If he references you it is cool to respond. If you want to address a point he made and respond, of course that is cool too. If you want to pop into a thread and make your first post an unprovoked tossing of crap towards a member who hasn't even addressed you - not cool. You made it clear you were addressing Tyr with the reference of the big bold letters. Then you tried to insult. You didn't even make the slightest effort to address the topic at all. That's textbook flaming.

tailfins
11-08-2013, 09:38 AM

You have made the rare excellent point. All of the above are Catholic. I will add Mafiosos to your list for a more modern example. "Hail Mary, Mother of god, bless us as we make these cement shoes"

The point has been made. Everyone now knows Tyr has you on ignore. If he references you it is cool to respond. If you want to address a point he made and respond, of course that is cool too. If you want to pop into a thread and make your first post an unprovoked tossing of crap towards a member who hasn't even addressed you - not cool. You made it clear you were addressing Tyr with the reference of the big bold letters. Then you tried to insult. You didn't even make the slightest effort to address the topic at all. That's textbook flaming.

Nice instructional post.