PDA

View Full Version : Board running slowly?

Abbey Marie
11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
On IE. Or is it just me?

jimnyc
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
On IE. Or is it just me?

Right now all is running quick for me, but I've noticed some 'moments' when I will click on a thread that it lags in loading.

aboutime
11-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Right now all is running quick for me, but I've noticed some 'moments' when I will click on a thread that it lags in loading.

Jim. I have noticed IE tends to slow the site down. So, I disabled IE, and only use FIREFOX. The speeds stay pretty reliable. Can't really speak for IE. But it does seem they have some major threats taking place. I would advise everyone to switch to FIREFOX. I think it even works better than Google Chrome now.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks to those who bothered to reply.

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM

It's slow loading some pages again for me today. I opened a ticket with our provider like 20 minutes ago.

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow, that was quick. They told me another account was using 'extreme CPU usage' causing the server to be slow loading at times. They have suspended this account.

Little-Acorn
11-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Nobody else can get through.

Jeff
11-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Its taking for ever to bring anything up right now and I use Firefox

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Its taking for ever to bring anything up right now and I use Firefox

I'm still seeing sporadic slowness too. I just hit 'reply with quote' under your post and it took like 20-25 seconds to load. I updated the ticket and asked them to take a peek again.

Drummond
11-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Right now, it seems OK. Around 24 hours ago, though, I was having problems with very slow loading of drafted posts ... and I currently use Google Chrome.

'Chrome' is normally very fast .. way better than either IE or Firefox, in my opinion. But yesterday it was especially slow for this site ...

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Just as an Fyi - if the SQL database is slow in responding, or the server is slow due to high CPU usage, it shouldn't matter what browser anyone is using. This is simply the server taking a long time to reply to requests. I'm only pointing this out as I don't want anyone working on their machines or browsers as a result. :)

This host is pretty cool and they'll be on top of things, so long as I open tickets and make them aware of it. If someone else is sending out a million emails, or running scripts which hog resources, they'll suspend them. Hopefully any slowness will be fixed soon enough.

jimnyc
11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
They have fixed the problem and now all seems to be loading fine. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue.

aboutime
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
They have fixed the problem and now all seems to be loading fine. Hopefully that will be the end of the issue.

Congratulations Jim. And this is for real. DP has succeeded in correcting all minor problems while still remaining operational, and the issues have been solved, then ended.

NOT something anyone can honestly say about OBAMACARE, or their Website.

Thanks for showing us HOW IT'S DONE!:clap::clap::clap:

red states rule
11-09-2013, 08:57 AM

and I bet it did NOT cost $600 million to get the site up and running

jimnyc
11-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Can anyone else tell me if they are experiencing any slowness? What are you doing when it happens, just trying to open threads? Posting? I have an ongoing ticket with support, and even though they keep updating that they have fixed the issue, the slowness keeps returning on my end. I just want to make sure it's not just my connection.

CSM
11-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Can anyone else tell me if they are experiencing any slowness? What are you doing when it happens, just trying to open threads? Posting? I have an ongoing ticket with support, and even though they keep updating that they have fixed the issue, the slowness keeps returning on my end. I just want to make sure it's not just my connection.

Still slow for me on a sporadic basis. Seems more prevalent this morning however.

Arbo
11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Been slow on this end for a while. This morning especially.

jimnyc
11-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Been slow on this end for a while. This morning especially.

There is an open ticket still and I'll update here once they find a fix.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-09-2013, 12:54 PM
has been very slow for me for a few days now. Especially bad this morning.

fj1200
11-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Can anyone else tell me if they are experiencing any slowness?

Yes, it's usually slow when going to a new page, ~10 second wait and then it loads pretty quickly.

Gaffer
11-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Slow for me too. Has been slow for a few days now. 5 to 10 second wait for loading page. Thought for a while it was just me, It was still slow after others said it seemed to be fix. I'm using opera so thought maybe it was just my browser.

Abbey Marie
11-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Slow again today. ETA: Jim, any screen refresh is slow. Moving between screens, editing, inserting a graphic, whatever. Hope that helps. About 10 seconds.

aboutime
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I noticed yesterday how it seemed to take much more time to SUBMIT. And, if I happened to mistakenly hit SUBMIT twice. It warned about not posting...bla, bla, bla.

jimnyc
11-09-2013, 06:30 PM
At least you guys know I'm aware of the issue and on top of it. I still have a running ticket with support. At first, they said it was another website on this server that was suspended for abuse of resources. Maybe about the next 3-4 updates I was just told that there was high CPU usage on the server and that it was fixed. The problem always seemed to continue though. The next time I said it was still happening, I was told that it was something on my site that was causing the high CPU usage. WTF? Nothing has changed here, so no new plugins or software that would be suddenly using so much resources. And it seems odd that there was a rogue site on the server, then something was hogging the CPU, and then they think it's software I am running that is eating the CPU. Anyway, they are looking into it again. That's the best we can do is keep troubleshooting it until it's behind us.

red states rule
11-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Slow for me this morning. Also had log in issues as well

jimnyc
11-11-2013, 09:58 AM
A little after noon time yesterday they resolved the issue. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me what was causing it this time. I didn't care as it was fine all day after that up until I went to bed last night. But I woke up this morning and I see the slowness has returned again, even if sporadically. The ticket was re-opened and I am looking for a permanent fix.

jimnyc
11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
The site I know is horribly slow. I received a few PM's about it and one phone call, so I'm aware! I'm just waiting on tech support to pinpoint what the cause is. Hopefully I'll be able to update this thread soon and get back to regular speeds.

Abbey Marie
11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
It's much better tonight. :cool:

Drummond
11-11-2013, 09:18 PM
It's a bit of a shock, but for once I'm in agreement with FJ over something !

Yes, it's usually slow when going to a new page, ~10 second wait and then it loads pretty quickly.

This exactly describes my own experience.

I did have a very brief period, something like 20 minutes ago, where I couldn't access the forum at all. My version of Google Chrome obliged me, unbidden, with a cached copy of this site dated 31st October instead !

This only lasted a couple of minutes, though. All now seems OK.

logroller
11-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Ditto

red states rule
11-12-2013, 04:34 AM
still slow and takes awhile to jump from one page to another

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Being that the slowness still lingers on after so long, I have asked tech support to please move my account to another server. I asked them to do so ASAP, so you might just see the closed sign up when you visit next. Hopefully they'll get it done sooner than later.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 02:52 PM
My apologies, we may lose some posts!

Due to the slowness, as I said, I asked for our site to be moved to another server. Due to so many things to do, I was out of the house for a bit. The data was apparently moved to a new server at around noon EST. I was notified after the fact and just updated the name servers with my registrar. Everyone propagates differently, so some my see the old server when coming here and some may be in the new server. If you make a post on the old server, then propagate to the new server after the fact, that post won't show up.

Propagation these days don't take long compared to the days of past. It could be less than an hour for some and up to 8 hours or so for others, but likely less.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh, and if the board is moving much quicker, you're likely on the new server.

fj1200
11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
It's flying now. :clap: There is a big gap of no posts after 9 a.m. this morning so it looks like you were right about losing posts.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 03:02 PM
It's flying now. :clap: There is a big gap of no posts after 9 a.m. this morning so it looks like you were right about losing posts.

You could still have intermittent issues/ I went around to like 30 WHOIS sites and half have them updated already and the other half no. For example, I was just browsing around our site here, all fast, then it got slow. Then I got logged out. It's possible that it's taking different routes and some routers are updated already and others are not. Shouldn't be long though.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I see some large gaps in posting times from this morning until this afternoon. My sincerest apologies to anyone who took the time to post and lost them.

Arbo
11-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I see some large gaps in posting times from this morning until this afternoon. My sincerest apologies to anyone who took the time to post and lost them.

Ah, that explains it. I was just in a thread where I thought "i swear I responded to this already, where'd it go?" I figured it was due to the hosting company, thanks for letting us know.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Can you guys give a quick update to how the speed is now, if there has been any change in the site loading. I'm curious if it's better for anyone, or about the same as it's been? Did changing servers help us?

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Ah, that explains it. I was just in a thread where I thought "i swear I responded to this already, where'd it go?" I figured it was due to the hosting company, thanks for letting us know.

I was just at the train station and hopped on my cell and peeked around a bit. Obviously my cell service is still seeing the old server as nothing I posted this afternoon is there. Weird.

fj1200
11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Can you guys give a quick update...

Pretty good, a little lurchy though but that could be on my end too.

jimnyc
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Pretty good, a little lurchy though but that could be on my end too.

For me, but this could just be me, it seems like posting and reading is much quicker, but it's still slow whenever I click to go back to the homepage.

Abbey Marie
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Very smooth now. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I see some large gaps in posting times from this morning until this afternoon. My sincerest apologies to anyone who took the time to post and lost them. I lost some truly brilliant posts that I put my heart and soul into. I mean blood ,sweat and tears went into a few dozen of them! O' the horror of it all has me pert near in tears as I type this now. As payment for this travesty I'd like my name to appear in bold ,flashing blue and gold colors and a case of the very best Irish whiskey you can procure. And toss in a couple gold stars to boot.. ;) Did lose a post but no biggie it was one of my shorter rants.. :laugh:--Tyr

logroller
11-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Back to normal speeds for me. Lags a little at 30-40% but its completed in 3-4 seconds-- a far cry from the ten-second load times recently.

Drummond
11-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Just caught up with the latest comments here.

Yep, quicker and smoother for me, too.

Also ... perhaps worth saying .. in 'another place', I just answered a comment from a contributor who claimed possible loss of a comment of his. I didn't take him seriously. After reading this latest crop of posts, I wonder if that was actually a mistake.

So thanks for this insight. When I'm next on here, I may address that issue directly with him.:beer:

Jeff
11-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Working great here James !! :thumb:

I spoke to soon, posting this took a long time but when I hit the edit button it went right through so maybe it is just the posting side ?

CSM
11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Seems to be working fine here

NightTrain
11-27-2013, 09:43 AM
It's running slowly again, Jim. Even timed out a minute ago.

Gaffer
11-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Running slow here too. Was slow yesterday as well. !0 to 15 seconds to display a page, sometimes longer.

aboutime
11-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Nothing to report here. Running as required, smoothly, and much better than OBAMACARE ever will.

gabosaurus
11-28-2013, 12:38 AM
No trouble with the board. Some of our more elderly members might be running slowly. But I suppose that is to be expected. :cool:

red states rule
11-28-2013, 03:37 AM
Jim, the board has been running slow for the last couple of days

Seems the Obamacare site is running better then your board. :laugh:

aboutime
11-28-2013, 03:44 PM
No trouble with the board. Some of our more elderly members might be running slowly. But I suppose that is to be expected. :cool:

So tell us gabby. How many hours did it take you to type all of that dumb, descriptive stuff about yourself above??

jimnyc
11-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I haven't abandoned you guys, I have another ticket open with support to hopefully address these slowdowns. I wanted to do some testing to eliminate the site itself as problematic. But email loads fine, FTP loads fine images alone load fine & other files like zip files and movies and such. The slowness only occurs when you click on a link here on the board, which is all SQL related of course. But when I ran a backup and moved it elsewhere to another server, everything I click on loads perfectly. Hopefully with this information in hand, tech support will be able to find out what is causing this.

red states rule
11-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Seems to be getting slower Jim. Most of the time, it takes about 30 seconds to bring anything up

Jeff
11-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Jim, the board has been running slow for the last couple of days

Seems the Obamacare site is running better then your board. :laugh:
Dang what a slam :laugh: I bet Obama must have a bunch of the slips handed in :laugh:

Seems to be getting slower Jim. Most of the time, it takes about 30 seconds to bring anything up

Mine seems to run slower at certain times of the day

red states rule
11-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Dang what a slam :laugh: I bet Obama must have a bunch of the slips handed in :laugh:

Mine seems to run slower at certain times of the day

It was intended as a joke Jeff

BUT, Obamacare is up and running and is moving faster then DP right now