PDA

View Full Version : MMA fighting- with children

Abbey Marie
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I am all for men being tough, but this disgusts me. What say you? More graphic pics at article.

It is the heat of battle between two MMA fighters hemmed inside an industrial metal cage. One kicks, punches and strangles his way to brutal victory. His opponent breaks down and cries tears for his mother.
But this is not an unusual end to another televised brawl between two fully grown brutes, this is kids's MMA, or Mixed Martial Arts, which is rapidly becoming one of the nation's fastest growing sports among children.
It is estimated that three million boys and girls, some as young as five-years-old launch themselves at each other weekly across the nation engaged in Pankration - some wearing no head protection and throwing punches boasting gloves little more than one-inch thick.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/05/article-2487527-19316DAC00000578-965_964x642.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487527/Inside-world-child-cage-fighting-Boys-trained-attack-MMA-arenas.html#ixzz2jzie0ROE

aboutime
11-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Totally agree with you Abbey. What that shows is more of an example of Illegal Dog Fighting, only the animals are Child Abuse victims.

The parents of those children should 1. Be arrested for child abuse. And 2. The children should be removed from the terrible home where that kind of stuff is Permitted, and Cheered.

Furthermore. Everyone is familiar with the NFL's new rules about Head Trauma...Concussions. But we have Idiot parents who condone this kind of fighting...without any protections at all????

Guess I have been right all along. This nation has become a MELTING POT of STUPID IDIOTS who only live for the instant gratification of THEIR STUPIDITY.

Abbey Marie
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Totally agree with you Abbey. What that shows is more of an example of Illegal Dog Fighting, only the animals are Child Abuse victims.

The parents of those children should 1. Be arrested for child abuse. And 2. The children should be removed from the terrible home where that kind of stuff is Permitted, and Cheered.

Furthermore. Everyone is familiar with the NFL's new rules about Head Trauma...Concussions. But we have Idiot parents who condone this kind of fighting...without any protections at all????

Guess I have been right all along. This nation has become a MELTING POT of STUPID IDIOTS who only live for the instant gratification of THEIR STUPIDITY.

All excellent points, AT. :clap:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I am all for boys learning how to fight but doing so and competing MMA style is way over the line IMHO. I can not agree with it nor will I sanction it by watching it. Once they are 18 it is ok if they want to train to do that. I just wouldn't recommend it even at that age unless one was a unique specimen and had great abilities. -Tyr

CSM
11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
*sigh*

OK, let me step into this pile of poo....

MMA being taught to children under a well trained, cognizant and competent tutor is no different than allowing children to attend Judo, Taikwando, Ju-Jitso or any other martial art instruction. While the story above depicts children engaging in such an activity without proper protection seems abhorent (intentionally so, IMO), this is another slippery slope. Going down this road will lead to schools banning dodge ball .... oh wait ....

This whole story leads me to believe it is another attempt to restrict the rights of the American citizen. "If you think this is abhorent, you should see what happens to children when you teach them about firearms!" Now there's an activity that is dangerous and leads America's youth down the wrong path. Why, such children will eventually end up as serial killers that invade our homes and schools and slaughter the innocent! Parents who allow their children to learn about guns should be charged with child abuse and thrown in jail .... yadda yadda yadda!

I will say that the article fostered (among some members here at least) the exact reaction they were hoping for.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2013, 08:13 AM
*sigh*

MMA being taught to children under a well trained, cognizant and competent tutor is no different than allowing children to attend Judo, Taikwando, Ju-Jitso or any other martial art instruction. While the story above depicts children engaging in such an activity without proper protection seems abhorent (intentionally so, IMO), this is another slippery slope. Going down this road will lead to schools banning dodge ball .... oh wait ....

This whole story leads me to believe it is another attempt to restrict the rights of the American citizen. "If you think this is abhorent, you should see what happens to children when you teach them about firearms!" Now there's an activity that is dangerous and leads America's youth down the wrong path. Why, such children will eventually end up as serial killers that invade our homes and schools and slaughter the innocent! Parents who allow their children to learn about guns should be charged with child abuse and thrown in jail .... yadda yadda yadda!

I will say that the article fostered (among some members here at least) the exact reaction they were hoping for. I had no reaction to the video because I did not watch it. I spoke about teaching and having the kids actually compete MMA style. My comment stated I have no problem teaching children how to fight. I do not believe teaching children how to fight MMA STYLE at such an early stage is the right move. I was taught how to fight and how to use guns both at a very early age. The difference I wasn't taught to do it as a competition but instead how to do the fighting as defense and the gun training as hunting. Only in my teens was I taught gunning for defense against a man. My general premise is parents shouldn't be choosing to train kids for a fighting career at such an early age. I'll teach my son how to fight and how to use firearms but not how to fight as in a competition for an audience. Also I believe such should be taught by the father and/or grandfather but those days are long gone. Defensive fighting being taught to young kids is ok in my book but competitive fighting MMA style is not. Was not reaction from watching a video. I do not do knee jerk reactions like that. I base my comments primarily on my past experiences , research and my core principles. -Tyr

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 08:24 AM
I have mixed emotions about this. I immediately think of football when I read about this. Many parents think/thought football was SO dangerous and will never let their kids join any football teams. They are both violent in nature, but as organized sports they can be OK.

Mixed martial arts has grown like a billion percent in the past 20 years. As adults, I think the sport is awesome and continuing to grow, and is no competing with boxing. In fact, I think it's just as popular as boxing, it just doesn't bring in the same kind of money as of yet.

But now enter the kids. That's a touchy subject. Suppose it's a 10-12 year old kid. He's been trained for 4-5 years under great supervision and has a professional trainer and school behind him. I think when doing so and following all of the rules and safety requirements, it shouldn't be much worse than boxing.

Of course if you have a 6-8 year old, with not a lot of good training, and toss him in with an unknown in a fashion where he may get injured - now that's the opposite end of the spectrum, could be quite dangerous and could be bad parenting.

I think each of these comes down to a case by case basis, as some can handle it and others would have no reason being in a cage. I also think there should be minimums, like say 10-12 to even get in the cage. Then on top of that, maybe have certain techniques and such also banned for under certain ages?

Jeff
11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
*sigh*

I will say that the article fostered (among some members here at least) the exact reaction they were hoping for.

I had no reaction to the video because I did not watch it. I spoke about teaching and having the kids actually compete MMA style. My comment stated I have no problem teaching children how to fight. I do not believe teaching children how to fight MMA STYLE at such an early stage is the right move. I was taught how to fight and how to use guns both at a very early age. The difference I wasn't taught to do it as a competition but instead how to do the fighting as defense and the gun training as hunting. Only in my teens was I taught gunning for defense against a man. My general premise is parents shouldn't be choosing to train kids for a fighting career at such an early age. I'll teach my son how to fight and how to use firearms but not how to fight as in a competition for an audience. Also I believe such should be taught by the father and/or grandfather but those days are long gone. Defensive fighting being taught to young kids is ok in my book but competitive fighting MMA style is not. Was not reaction from watching a video. I do not do knee jerk reactions like that. I base my comments primarily on my past experiences , research and my core principles. -Tyr

I have to agree with CSM here , I think it looks a lot worst than it is after all it is a 7 year old against another 7 year old ( chances of them getting hurt is slim ) and anyone of the sports CSM had mentioned also has bouts ( competition ) as for the kids crying because they lost you just have to walk by the dug out of a baseball team ( after a tough loss) and you will see these kids get upset when they lose the crying you see may be just because they lost . With that said I don't feel it is for all young kids ( all are different ) but remember there are those that say football is to tough a sport for the young kids, but some kids just aren't ready for this kind of competition and that is OK but Karate , Judo or any one of those type of sports teach kids a lot of discipline , my youngest ( 11 ) is wrestling now and is loving it . Now if they where getting hurt the way the older fighters do I could see keeping kids out of it but as long as no one is getting hurt ( no worse than they would any other sport ) let them have at it.

CSM
11-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Ok Tyr, I got it. You based your reaction on your personal experience. I don''t have a problem with that. My personal experience is and was entirely different. I see nothing wrong with teaching children to compete in what some may see as a violent sport with the caveat that such competition be made as safe as possible. There are many violent sports (football,for example ... which was mentioned earlier) in which children participate. Should we not encourage children to participate in football unless their grandfather taught them? Is the only reason to teach a child and have them participate in any sport is so that they have a future career?

Again, I would say that the article fostered the hoped for visceral reaction among many ... even you, who only read the title and not the entire article. I will say the media is masterful in their propaganda tactics and it sometimes works on even the best of us (myself included).

CSM
11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I have to agree with CSM here , I think it looks a lot worst than it is after all it is a 7 year old against another 7 year old ( chances of them getting hurt is slim ) and anyone of the sports CSM had mentioned also has bouts ( competition ) as for the kids crying because they lost you just have to walk by the dug out of a baseball team ( after a tough loss) and you will see these kids get upset when they lose the crying you see may be just because they lost . With that said I don't feel it is for all young kids ( all are different ) but remember there are those that say football is to tough a sport for the young kids, but some kids just aren't ready for this kind of competition and that is OK but Karate , Judo or any one of those type of sports teach kids a lot of discipline , my youngest ( 11 ) is wrestling now and is loving it . Now if they where getting hurt the way the older fighters do I could see keeping kids out of it but as long as no one is getting hurt ( no worse than they would any other sport ) let them have at it.

You bring up a some good points. Children competing in an organized, supervised and well structured sport against other children of the same skill level under supervised and safe conditions is not a bad thing, IMO. It would be outright criminal to toss a kid, 5 years old, in a cage with no training and tell him to fight an older kid that has been training for 5 years. That is not sport. I have 4 sons and they all participated in sports beginning at an early age. They all survived without injury (the exception is one who broke his leg skiing) and all four continue to participate (one in particular still enjoys martial arts). None of them made a career in sports. They learned a few things about winning and losing, sportsmanship, respect for others and themselves, etc.

The entire article (IMO) is just another propaganda piece by some lib trying to generate outrage among the populous. "MMA is bad ... look at the poor lil kid crying his eyes out! This should be banned!" You will notice that nothing was mentioned about kids being hospitalized or maimed for life as a result of participating, no study after study proving the detrimental psycholigical effects or even a critical examination of MMA with recommendations for making the sport safer. No, this was a drive-by hit piece. You could almost write one just like it using any other sport from badminton to skate boarding and get someone to proclaim how horrible that particular sport happens to be.

tailfins
11-08-2013, 09:02 AM
What if the kids want to have MMA competitions? More supervision and well thought out rules is one thing. Taking away still more freedom is another.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok Tyr, I got it. You based your reaction on your personal experience. I don''t have a problem with that. My personal experience is and was entirely different. I see nothing wrong with teaching children to compete in what some may see as a violent sport with the caveat that such competition be made as safe as possible. There are many violent sports (football,for example ... which was mentioned earlier) in which children participate. Should we not encourage children to participate in football unless their grandfather taught them? Is the only reason to teach a child and have them participate in any sport is so that they have a future career?

Again, I would say that the article fostered the hoped for visceral reaction among many ... even you, who only read the title and not the entire article. I will say the media is masterful in their propaganda tactics and it sometimes works on even the best of us (myself included). ok, perhaps I cited how firm I'd be on this with my child when I SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED THAT YES ITS A PARENTS RIGHT TO DECIDE. With very rigid rules, very disciplined and professional instructors using a preset list of safety guidelines I can see where it could be ok but maybe only at a certain age do they do full MMA style. My main objection was my thoughts on how some kids would use this advantage to pummel other kids in fights and when angry possibly do very serious harm to other kids. By taking it out of the ring onto the streets. We should understand kids may not be able to control their emotions and teaching them how to do serious damage to another human at too early an age presents its own dangers. How is it going to be explained when a 9 or 10 year old gets into a fight and chokes to death another 9 or 10 year old because he had been train MMA style fighting since he was 6 and in anger didn't stop soon enough? Still my correction is that it is not my call when it is the decision made by the parent. I'd just not consider it for my child until he was at least 14/15 and only then if he were a unique specimen and had great strength and talent. Why train to be only average or subpar? My personal decision within my family is a bit different than my opinion if other parents have the right to do it with their child,--they certainly do have that right but we agree there should be a safety concerned that should be properly addressed.-Tyr

Abbey Marie
11-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this was described as a "Lib" propaganda piece. Really? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinions, though I disagree. Wish I knew what the rush is to turn 5-7 year old kids into vicious fighters. Perhaps it's that old "living vicariously" parent thing.

CSM
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this was described as a "Lib" propaganda piece. Really? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your opinions, though I disagree. Wish I knew what the rush is to turn 5-7 year old kids into vicious fighters. Perhaps it's that old "living vicariously" parent thing.

LOL! Yeah, I just want kids to all be knickle dragging, snot slinging, rolling in the mud, baby killers.

Read the first two paragraphs of the article and tell me the adjectives used therein were not used specifically to provoke specific images. I'll even quote them for you:

It is the heat of battle between two MMA fighters hemmed inside an industrial metal cage. One kicks, punches and strangles his way to brutal victory. His opponent breaks down and cries tears for his mother.

But this is not an unusual end to another televised brawl between two fully grown brutes, this is kids's MMA, or Mixed Martial Arts, which is rapidly becoming one of the nation's fastest growing sports among children.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487527/Inside-world-child-cage-fighting-Boys-trained-attack-MMA-arenas.html#ixzz2k4dleknU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

You cannot tell me that the adjectives used are not specifically chosen for their negative connotations. "hemmed inside an industrial cage" "brutal victory" "televised brawl" "fully grown brutes" are intentionally used to incite negative imagery from the outset. This is certainly a typical propaganda method which has been adpopted by much of the liberal MSM to foster support for the next cause du jour. You even intentionally use the word "viscious" in your own statement to add more weight to your negative opinion of the sport (not that I think you are a lib propagandist; I don't).

Obviously, my point of view is substantially different. I wanted my children to be capable of not only defending themselve and others, I also wanted them to learn things like fair play, sportsmanship, self confidence, team work, the benefits of physical activity, etc. I wanted them to learn things that playing with Ken and Barbie couldn't teach them. All that being said, clearly, my children were taught a lot more than how to be "viscious fighters" through martial arts and martial arts were not the only activities they engaged in as children.

aboutime
11-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Shame on all of you. Or at least anyone who even tried to make MMA equal, in any way, with Martial Arts where NO INTENTIONAL BLOOD is shed.

And if this is in any way a means of taking anyone's freedoms, or liberty away.

How bout volunteering YOUR KIDS for the sport, unprotected, and ready for the OBAMACARE idea to deny you coverage for the BRAIN DAMAGE, and STUPIDITY it breeds.

Speaking of which. We now have at least TWO DP members who have permitted their children to take part in this forum. How bout we ask those parents to ALLOW those two children...One girl, and One Boy named Justin...to become DP representatives of MMA?

Would all of you like to see that too?

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Shame on all of you. Or at least anyone who even tried to make MMA equal, in any way, with Martial Arts where NO INTENTIONAL BLOOD is shed.

How bout volunteering YOUR KIDS for the sport, unprotected, and ready for the OBAMACARE idea to deny you coverage for the BRAIN DAMAGE, and STUPIDITY it breeds.

Nah, come on now! Boxing is dangerous, football is dangerous, rugby, kickboxing...

Sure, MMA is an awfully violent sport. But other than some knuckleheads playing around in their backyard, this is a very organized sport and the guys fighting are all trained professionals. I've seen many fights with blood shed. I've also seen much blood shed in kick boxing fights or even taekwondo. I think the main point behind all of them is to fight, to defend ones self, and to maximize the moves one has in order to win the fight.

You do bring up a fair point about the kids though, as to whether or not they were pushed into the sport or chose it. I know I wouldn't push my son into such a violent sport. But as to the adults - they do so willingly. Some of them have been involved in martial arts or boxing the majority of their lives. While violent, they know what they're getting into and it's all considered part of the sport.

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Speaking of which. We now have at least TWO DP members who have permitted their children to take part in this forum. How bout we ask those parents to ALLOW those two children...One girl, and One Boy named Justin...to become DP representatives of MMA?

Wow, we speak generically about MMA in general, and give our opinions on others having children involved in the violent sport. But I don't see in any way why we need to bring these kids into the conversation. Just because one has no issue with the MMA doesn't mean they need to OK it for their own kids.

aboutime
11-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow, we speak generically about MMA in general, and give our opinions on others having children involved in the violent sport. But I don't see in any way why we need to bring these kids into the conversation. Just because one has no issue with the MMA doesn't mean they need to OK it for their own kids.

Once again Jim That is not what I was driving at. Some see no problem with bringing children into MMA, as shown. And I identified it as Child Abuse.
I used the members as examples, wondering if they would also feel as willing IF....Their children were involved in the MMA idea as shown.
It's meant to get attention, and to see how HONEST people can be when THE SHOE is on THEIR foot. If you get my drift.
As for bringing them into the conversation. Unless it becomes personal. As we see all around us. Nobody really gives a FLYIN' F.

jimnyc
11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Once again Jim That is not what I was driving at. Some see no problem with bringing children into MMA, as shown. And I identified it as Child Abuse.
I used the members as examples, wondering if they would also feel as willing IF....Their children were involved in the MMA idea as shown.
It's meant to get attention, and to see how HONEST people can be when THE SHOE is on THEIR foot. If you get my drift.
As for bringing them into the conversation. Unless it becomes personal. As we see all around us. Nobody really gives a FLYIN' F.

I admittedly wouldn't have my son involved in the sport. I don't think it would be fair of me to pass judgment, to an extent, on others who have children fighting. I grew up playing football and part of a wrestling team. I loved being involved in anything that involved lots of contact and competition. I knew of other kids who's parents wouldn't sign off to let them play the contact sports.

aboutime
11-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I admittedly wouldn't have my son involved in the sport. I don't think it would be fair of me to pass judgment, to an extent, on others who have children fighting. I grew up playing football and part of a wrestling team. I loved being involved in anything that involved lots of contact and competition. I knew of other kids who's parents wouldn't sign off to let them play the contact sports.

Jim. I don't see common sense, and logic as passing judgement on anyone. I also played football in jr high, way back when...we didn't have half of the protection they do today. But...at no time was rolling in the mud, hard tackling ever permitted to become a BLOODSPORT like MMA IS. And anyone who denies that. Has never seen it in person, or on tv. Allowing children to take part in that kind of intentional, willful destruction of another child is just DUMB, and hinges on Child Abuse.

Suppose we allow such a thing to spread into the schools? How bout bullies being given the GO AHEAD, or SANCTIONS by the School Administration to allow children to just BUST HEADS, and get rewarded for it?
Of course you wouldn't want your children to take part. YOU HAVE A BRAIN, and know about Common Sense.

Trigg
11-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I am going to start out saying.....my boys wrestle.

They started young, with headgear, mouth pieces and knee pads. Against kids their own weight.

That being said, I've seen kids get broken arms at wrestling meets because the referee wasn't paying close enough attention to what was going on. Kids can and do get hurt. BADLY

I have a hard time with parents putting their kids in a position to hurt themselves and others without ANY TYPE of protective gear. MMA type fighting is NOT for younger kids who have no option of protecting themselves and wearing protective gear. If adults want to do this, that is an adult decision.

CSM
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Really? Shame on me?? Shame on you for trying to foist your preconceived and ill-informed opinions on someone else! Want to talk about brain damage? There are studies that show the greatest cause of head injuries from sports come from SOCCER...that's right .... SOCCER. Look it up for yourself. Do you know what causes the most sports injuries among you female children? It's CHEERLEADING! Furthermore, do you know what MMA stands for? Sure you do ... MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. To suggest through parsing of words or semantics that any martial arts program is worse than any other is disingenuous at best. Also, any physical sport played without appropriate protection is just plain crazy. I saw no one in these forums suggesting that any kid play any sport or engage in any activity without supervision and proper safety equipment. The rest of your little post is pure BS.

CSM
11-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Awrighty then! I'm going to drop out of this whole thread and let you opinionated and self righteous (though absolutely wrong, IMO) posters have the field. I will say that I have participated, watched my children participate in MMA. I have not run amok within the US population nor have my children. There is no history of violence perpetrated upon the innocent and defenseless in my family nor have I ever stated a desire to do so (unlike some of you aforementioned opinionated, self righteous posters). Put that in your smike and pope it! The field is yours.

aboutime
11-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Really? Shame on me?? Shame on you for trying to foist your preconceived and ill-informed opinions on someone else! Want to talk about brain damage? There are studies that show the greatest cause of head injuries from sports come from SOCCER...that's right .... SOCCER. Look it up for yourself. Do you know what causes the most sports injuries among you female children? It's CHEERLEADING! Furthermore, do you know what MMA stands for? Sure you do ... MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. To suggest through parsing of words or semantics that any martial arts program is worse than any other is disingenuous at best. Also, any physical sport played without appropriate protection is just plain crazy. I saw no one in these forums suggesting that any kid play any sport or engage in any activity without supervision and proper safety equipment. The rest of your little post is pure BS.

CSM. My apologies if I offended, or insulted you in any way. That said. Foisting my opinion here is merely my exercising of my 1st amendment rights, per our constitution. And, the rules of this forum. Designed to be a place where ANYONE is permitted to offer an Opinion.
You disagree with me. Fine. I disagree with you. Fine.
Nuff said.

Abbey Marie
11-08-2013, 07:30 PM
LOL! Yeah, I just want kids to all be knickle dragging, snot slinging, rolling in the mud, baby killers.

Read the first two paragraphs of the article and tell me the adjectives used therein were not used specifically to provoke specific images. I'll even quote them for you:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487527/Inside-world-child-cage-fighting-Boys-trained-attack-MMA-arenas.html#ixzz2k4dleknU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

You cannot tell me that the adjectives used are not specifically chosen for their negative connotations. "hemmed inside an industrial cage" "brutal victory" "televised brawl" "fully grown brutes" are intentionally used to incite negative imagery from the outset. This is certainly a typical propaganda method which has been adpopted by much of the liberal MSM to foster support for the next cause du jour. You even intentionally use the word "viscious" in your own statement to add more weight to your negative opinion of the sport (not that I think you are a lib propagandist; I don't).

Obviously, my point of view is substantially different. I wanted my children to be capable of not only defending themselve and others, I also wanted them to learn things like fair play, sportsmanship, self confidence, team work, the benefits of physical activity, etc. I wanted them to learn things that playing with Ken and Barbie couldn't teach them. All that being said, clearly, my children were taught a lot more than how to be "viscious fighters" through martial arts and martial arts were not the only activities they engaged in as children.

The writing is descriptive of what was going on. I don't have a problem with it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Lets not get carried away about this. If a parent has a child involved and feels its safe for their child I have no objection to that parent exercising their right to raise their child as they think best. Also I doubt at the early age they are allowing the level of damage your opponent as is in the professional MMA sport. I want to state right here and now I've not been critical of a parent doing that if they think it safe . I then picked an age I thought it right if it were my child. Just as I certainly think children should receive proper and safe firearm training at an earlier age than most people I know do. It is still a parent's right to choose. A parent having had experience and seen it to be safe for their child gets no criticism from me. --Tyr

Jeff
11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Wow , seriously ? AT you sound like the family that lived behind me when growing up, yea none of there 8 kids could get involved with TACKLE football , to barbaric to dangerous , yup all the same things you are saying , and guess what there where four girls and four boys , All but one where heavy drinkers , the oldest was the biggest pot dealer in town back in the day and a couple of the sisters well lets just say if ya had a date with one of them on a Friday night you where in for a good time, and guess what as soon as these kids where old enough to get away from the house they where playing football at another park( out of the 8, 2 did grow up to be great people the other 6 even though they couldn't play tough sports are no different than you or I ) My kids fight harder than most MMA bouts would allow and neither one of them has ever been hurt badly ( and yes this is fights in the yard or where ever that break out with no protection or rules ) Now I guess I am a bad father because my kids fight, Hardly my kids understand they must stand up for what is right , they also NOW ( yes it took this long to teach them ) there is a time and place for everything , Is MMA fighting dangerous , yes and if I took a 15 year old kid that had been training for a few years and threw him in with a kid say around 8 with no training you are right that would be wrong but when you take 2 kids with the same type of training and the same body size it is no worse than any other full body sport, these guys you see hurting each other bad on TV ( or a live event ) have been training for years can lift twice there body weight and are usually plenty old enough to sign there own permission slip, what we seen in these pictures is kids being taught the rules of MMA fighting and different moves but if you had noticed bot one picture where a child was bloodied up ( if they could of found a picture like that think of the heads that would of turned) again any type of fighting isn't for all kids but if the child enjoys it why not let him/her fight in a controlled environment with all the safety gear plus a ref to shut it down as soon as a kid gets hurt.

Abbey Marie
11-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Awrighty then! I'm going to drop out of this whole thread and let you opinionated and self righteous (though absolutely wrong, IMO) posters have the field. I will say that I have participated, watched my children participate in MMA. I have not run amok within the US population nor have my children. There is no history of violence perpetrated upon the innocent and defenseless in my family nor have I ever stated a desire to do so (unlike some of you aforementioned opinionated, self righteous posters). Put that in your smike and pope it! The field is yours.

CSM, I have nothing but respect for you. I think you are letting your emotions get the better of you here because this is something your children have done. I don't see anyone here being any more or less opinionated than you. We are all just stating what we feel. It's all good.

:salute:

tailfins
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Brazilian MMA is often fought with street kids that are thought of as expendable. The same kids that are now fighting MMA are the same ones that the police would have secretly exterminated if they were still on the street. In Brazil, MMA saves the lives of those kids because it takes them off the street. Isn't it ironic that they refer to the indigenous "Indian" population as "savages"? The below link is an example.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/death-to-undesirables-brazils-murder-capital-1685214.html

According to Mr Demetrio, the biggest threat to these kids is from death squads, made up of local police officers, both former and serving.