PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason I LOVE Country Music - so many Class Acts involed in it

-Cp
06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Country star LeAnn Rimes surprises Iraq veteran with wheelchair van

PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) - Iraq veteran Peter Reid has gotten a boost from LeAnn Rimes.

A 2004 mortar attack in Iraq's Anbar province left Reid, a Navy Seabee, partially paralyzed, blind in one eye and dependent on a motorized wheelchair. He also suffered a brain injury, and bits of shrapnel remain in his head and body.

Reid hadn't left his Palm Bay house for months because it took two people to lift him into and out of his van.

Now he's looking forward to shopping trips with his wife, Michele, because of a gift from Rimes.

Last week in Nashville, Tenn., the 24-year-old country singer handed Reid the keys to a new wheelchair-accessible van.

Chevrolet, the Coalition to Salute America's Heroes and Rimes, a supporter of the veterans group, teamed up to present the van to Reid.

"She's wonderful," Reid said of Rimes after returning Monday to Florida. "She walked up to me like I was part of her family. She said, 'Pete, come with me. I have something for you.' I went out and there was the van. It was quite a surprise."

The Chevrolet Uplander is equipped with an automatic door and wheelchair ramp, allowing Reid to manoeuvre his wheelchair into and out of the van.

While in Nashville, Reid and his wife attended a Rimes concert and her fan-club breakfast.

http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=6ec57a2f-11f0-4f5b-ba8f-9aa12d1bc081&k=55696

5stringJeff
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
LeAnn Rimes is hot.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Her voice is amazing. and I think she is very cool for doing this, but- shouldn't we taxpayers via the VA be giving a man like this what he needs to make his life better, including a van?

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 12:39 AM
With VA funding as slashed as it is, I am surprised they have money to do anything like that. It's more important to buy weapons than fund the VA.

darin
06-13-2007, 12:43 AM
With VA funding as slashed as it is, I am surprised they have money to do anything like that. It's more important to buy weapons than fund the VA.

You are such a piece of crap for not harping on the VA's funding 20 years ago.

(shrug). You use the 'VA funding' as a cause now, ONLY because you hate America and America's president. You're lies are transparent, and my God have mercy on your soul.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 11:51 AM
DP rules prohibit me from disputing you on this point

5stringJeff
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM

No, DP rules prohibit you from flaming while (whilst?) replying, not from defending your point.

gabosaurus
06-16-2007, 06:39 PM
No, DP rules prohibit you from flaming while (whilst?) replying, not from defending your point.

With some, there is no difference in the two.

Nuc
06-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Her voice is amazing. and I think she is very cool for doing this, but- shouldn't we taxpayers via the VA be giving a man like this what he needs to make his life better, including a van?

Yes. Unfortunately a lot of political incitement to charity is merely a way for the politicians and government to shift responsibility for basic care to the private sector. So they can use taxpayer's money to line their own pockets and those of their friends rather than to help the people.

darin
06-17-2007, 12:33 PM

It's PATHETIC you whine and cry about something (The VA in this case) ONLY when it suits your current political agenda. You don't give two shits about Veterans - only your precious liberal ideology.

Pale Rider
06-18-2007, 09:39 AM

So you know when to draw in the claws aye? You two faced, revolting, gutless, wretch.

gabosaurus
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
:lame2:

Guernicaa
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Please...just because one gives a van...doesn't mean that the majority of these conservative retards are heros.

Liberal celeberties do SOO much more.

OCA
06-18-2007, 08:07 PM

No, actually they don't do shit but drop dime(falsely) on blood and soil.

Liberals are fucking piles of shit.

manu1959
06-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Please...just because one gives a van...doesn't mean that the majority of these conservative retards are heros.

i don't think they are heros either.....got a link to all the great things lib celebs do for the vets?

Guernicaa
06-18-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.instantkarma.org/InstantKarma.html

Top artists (liberals) in the a combined force to stop genocide in Darfur. Inspired by the works of Lennon.
Listen to the music, fucking pure...the way Lennon would have wanted it.
This shits raising MILLIONS of dollars in aid while some country bump girl gives a guy a van...C'mon...theres no comparison.

Guernicaa
06-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Angelina Jolie, with the help of Brad...
I don't even think I need to go into details...because everyone knows how amazing the two of them are.

Guernicaa
06-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Rosie:
For All Kids Foundation-An organization that's rasied 22 million dollars to help early childhood education and child protection.

Also her foundation assisted tremendously after Hurrican Katrina.

Guernicaa
06-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Christina Aguilera-

Throughout her career, Aguilera has been involved with certain charities. She signed a letter from PETA to the South Korean government asking that the country stop its alleged killing of dogs for food.[63] Her involvement in supporting the Defenders of Wildlife have also added to her donations with charities.

Aguilera is still a major contributor in her hometown of Pittsburgh contributing regularly to the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh. According to her official website, she toured the center and donated $200,000 to the shelter. She also has auctioned off front row seats and back stage passes for the Pittsburgh based charity.[64] She has continued her donations and visits to the shelter, and plans to open an additional one.[65] She also supports the Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and Refuge UK.[66] Since then she has worked with Lifetime Television's 'End violence against women' campaign. Her work there included a public service announcement which aired on the network and during her 2007 tour.[67]

Aguilera contributes in the fight against AIDS, by participating in AIDS Project Los Angeles' Artists Against AIDS "What's Going On?" cover project. In 2004, Aguilera became the new face for cosmetic company M·A·C and spokesperson for M·A·C AIDS Fund. Aguilera appeared in advertisements of the M·A·C's Viva Glam V lipstick and lipgloss. In addition, Aguilera contributed to YouthAIDS by posing for a joint YouthAIDS and Aldo Shoes campaign for "Empowerment Tags" in Canada, the U.S. and the UK. She was featured with one of three ubiquitous slogans, "Speak No Evil?" and stated, "HIV is something that people don’t want to talk about, hear about, or face."[68][69] Singer Elton John hand-picked Aguilera, among others, for his Fashion Rocks concert benefiting his AIDS foundation.[70] The show, which accompanies music and fashion to benefit the fight against AIDS/HIV, is televised annually and aired in September.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Aguilera

Guernicaa
06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Liberals do SOO much more.

krisy
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Liberals do SOO much more.

Uh,Obama,you sound a bit like a six year old. Conservatives and Liberals both do a lot for charity.Even that evil guy in the White House.:dance:

Abbey Marie
06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Btw, Obama, raising money from other's wallets by using your celebrity, and giving your own money are two different things.

gabosaurus
06-21-2007, 03:10 PM
A lot of celebs give to charity. Some of it from their hearts, some of it on directions from their PR person.
I should know. My dad is a PR person. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
A lot of celebs give to charity. Some of it from their hearts, some of it on directions from their PR person.
I should know. My dad is a PR person. :laugh2:

I'll bet he's seen it all!