PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Adblock is awesome!

gabosaurus
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Yet another reason why Firefox beats the crap out of IE: With Firefox Adblock, you can block out advertising banners and ads on any page that you normally visit. I am using it on this page right now. :cheers2:

Sitarro
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Yet another reason why Firefox beats the crap out of IE: With Firefox Adblock, you can block out advertising banners and ads on any page that you normally visit. I am using it on this page right now. :cheers2:

Safari is now available from Apple for free for Windoze users. I have Firefox and I never bother to open it since Safari is perfect.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Isn't that just for Mac users?

diuretic
06-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Apple launched a version of its Safari web browser for Windows-based PCs on Monday, pitting it against Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.

"What we've got here is the most innovative browser in the world and the most powerful browser in the world," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs said during his keynote speech at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Safari, which was released a few years ago for Apple's Macintosh computers, has captured about 5 per cent of the world's market share for internet browsers with more than 18 million users, Jobs said.

Internet Explorer is the predominant browser with a 78 per cent share, while Firefox has rapidly climbed to gain about 15 per cent of the market, he said. Like the other web browsers, Safari is available as a free download.

Jobs claimed Safari performs twice as fast as its competitors.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/apples-safari-browser-now-for-windows/2007/06/12/1181414250187.html

I use Firefox, Opera and IE on the XP boot. I have Swiftfox, Firefox and Opera on the Ubuntu (Linux) boot. Second (old, slow) machine runs MEPIS Linux and I use Swiftfox and Firefox on that one. Swiftfox is by far the fastest of the browsers I use but it will only run on Linux.

CockySOB
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Isn't that just for Mac users?

Apple is beta-testing a corss-platform version of Safari which will run on Windows. The problem is that it IS a beta - first day out and there were 6 major exploits found the first day out. I have a feeling it will take Apple a couple of years to get up to speed on making their software Windows-friendly. It's not a slam against Apple BTW, it's just that they are used to writing software for their own platform, and not for the Windows platform.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Excellent points!

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops--desktops/apples-safari-browser-now-for-windows/2007/06/12/1181414250187.html

I use Firefox, Opera and IE on the XP boot. I have Swiftfox, Firefox and Opera on the Ubuntu (Linux) boot. Second (old, slow) machine runs MEPIS Linux and I use Swiftfox and Firefox on that one. Swiftfox is by far the fastest of the browsers I use but it will only run on Linux.

Opera is still around?

darin
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I participate in a forum who has the HORRIBLE Google Ads which hyperlink and underline key words within a users post. Thanks to FireFox adblocker I never see it. I'm SO annoyed by the ads, however, that often I view the page in an IE tab and mis-spell or Code my replies ONLY to stop the google machine for making MY post an advertisement.

5stringJeff
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Firefox rules! It is by far the best browser for the Windows platform. I have no experience with Linux or Mac.

Also, for those who don't have Gmail: get it. Now. PM me for an invite if you need one. Gmail is the best web-based e-mail anywhere, bar none.

gabosaurus
06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I can't understand why anyone still uses IE. It's totally antique by now.

diuretic
06-14-2007, 05:27 AM
Opera is still around?

Windows version 9.21 has a nifty innovation called Speed Dial. You can pre-programme your nine favourite sites and just click on the frame you want and bingo, there it is. Yes DP is one of my nine.