PDA

View Full Version : The best way to pee into a urinal, according to science

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-14-2013, 11:24 AM
http://sc.news.yahoo.com/best-way-pee-urinal-according-science-111300267.html .
The best way to pee into a urinal, according to science
By Chris Gayomali | The Week – Fri, Nov 8, 2013. Now that we know the best way to get a bartender's attention, let's turn our attention toward the inevitable restroom break that will soon follow.

The sad truth is that men's restrooms aren't the most sanitary places, largely because adult human males are not very good at urinating, as if the male brain briefly shuts down whenever hands and penises join together.

But fear not! There is hope. Tackling the dire problem of urinal splash-back, a team of fluid dynamics researchers from Brigham Young University — who call themselves the "whizz-kids" — set out to discover the absolute best spot for dudes to aim at when they're relieving themselves.
Now, perhaps you're the kind of guy who aims for the blue urinal cake at the bottom as if it were a Space Invader. Or maybe you take a step or two back to test your flow's strength. If you do either of these, I must kindly ask that you stop immediately. You're making a mess.

Both methods are prone to creating splash-back, which gets urine all over your shoes, and more embarrassingly, the front of your pants. Peepee pants are not a good look. Plus, you're leaving rude little puddles for the rest of us to awkwardly plant our feet around, depriving us of the basic dignity of a sturdy base. "We've all been in disgusting toilets with puddles on the floor," researcher Tadd Truscott told BBC News, "these places are a breeding ground for bacteria."

That splash is due to a fluid dynamics term called the Rayleigh Instability. Basically your stream loses power about 6 inches from the urethra, scattering your spray into messy droplets.

With a little effort, you can change. The physicists — using a nozzle and thankfully not the real thing to simulate how liquid flows from the male member — tested all sorts of peeing angles to figure out the safest way to urinate, and recorded the results on high-speed cameras. This, according to the study, is the optimal way to pee:

…men should stand as close to the urinal as possible they advise. Also helpful is directing the stream to hit the back of the urinal at a downward angle. That creates less splash-back and the drops that do bounce, head downwards into the urinal drain. Conversely, to prevent messing one's trousers (or angering neighbors) they suggest men not spray directly into the urinal or into the pool that forms at the bottom of the urinal, both cause a lot of splash-back. [PhysOrg] Posted to help the ladies that so often have to handle and wash those pee stained clothes when doing the laundry and because I got a big laugh when reading it! . Some guys never learn this and I been in restrooms washing my hands to hear and see guys splattering urine all over the floor and themselves. Also saw those same dumbasses walk out without washing their hands! Tis why I take a paper towel to open the door with when exiting.. Not talking about drunk guys here either . This stupidity comes from many guys that are sober and from all walks of life. A man should strive to drain his lizard in a hygienic way. Its not a damn water gun... My wife never has to handle nasty urine stained pants. I showed her this and she told me thanks darling .. -Tyr

Little-Acorn
11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I knew I could rely on this website for advice on the most complex, well-researched problems we face.

Where would I be without it?

gabosaurus
11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
I knew I could rely on this website for advice on the most complex, well-researched problems we face.

Where would I be without it?

:laugh: :beer:

aboutime
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Shucks. I was hoping gabby would provide all the information we need about peeing.http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/cool.png

Been doing it for almost SEVEN decades, and never...not once, has anyone ever offered to show me how to do it.:cool:

In fact. If someone feels they are so intelligent, or expert on the practice.http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/cool.png

They are more than welcome http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/cool.pngto assist me...next time I come close to a urinal.http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/cool.png

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-14-2013, 07:13 PM
:laugh: :beer: I just bet they are waiting for a government funded grant to research the best way to poop. With Obama in charge they'll likely get it and do the research on him. :laugh2: Truth is a damn lot of guys could use instructions on how not to be so messy and unsanitary when taking a leak. I simply hate to have to use a public restroom even just to urinate. Last time I used one for the other function was about ten years ago and it was by extreme emergency because I had the runs. :laugh: The ladies are right when they criticize the guys for being so unsanitary in their relief functions. --Tyr

Perianne
11-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Women's restrooms are not the nicest, either.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Women's restrooms are not the nicest, either. Really?? Then why do the ladies chastise we men so much about it? I've been led to believe that the ladies restrooms are clean.. -Tyr

logroller
11-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Perhaps if they stood closer to the urinals:laugh2:

Arbo
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Based on experience in fast food and retail when I was a teenager and got stuck cleaning them, in general women's restrooms are usually far more nasty than the mens room.

aboutime
11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Really?? Then why do the ladies chastise we men so much about it? I've been led to believe that the ladies restrooms are clean.. -Tyr

Tyr. Based only on my experience during my final years on active duty. Where the ships I served on were the Test Base ships for the Atlantic, Amphibious ships for Women.
Almost weekly. The Executive Officer had to call special meetings with the Senior Petty officers, and Officers...all Females; to instruct them on how Feminine Products DO NOT help the ship's plumbing systems, and cause dangerous, ugly, smelly backups in toilets IN THE FEMALE HEADS.

Seems the young ladies were abusing their sanitary cleanliness by attempting to flush certain items down into the ship's CHT, wastewater system. Which has been changed over the years, as I have learned.
But...women's rest rooms have become noted for being the dirtier of the two choices.

gabosaurus
11-16-2013, 01:19 AM
Womens restrooms can be fairly nasty. Especially when they choose to leave certain hygienic products laying around instead of disposing of them properly. Women shouldn't have to aim, but sometimes they do. With ugly results.

PostmodernProphet
11-16-2013, 08:05 AM
reminds me of a Chinese restaurant I went to in down town Grand Rapids years back......the urinal stall was so narrow I couldn't get my shoulders into it horizontally......had to do a bank shot off the wall to hit the urinal.......

aboutime
11-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Found one like this in Italy. http://icansayit.com/images/toiletfloor.jpg And we Americans complain about cleanliness?

This was in the back of a restaurant in Naples. 1985-87 time frame.

Notice, no seat, no T.P. just stand, or squat.

WiccanLiberal
11-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Working in health care, I have seen women's rest rooms in hospitals and have to say they can be exceedingly nasty when you would think health care workers would be more careful about hygiene. I wash my hands before and after using the facilities and handle doorknobs with paper towels. The reason women are insistent about bathroom hygiene in the home is that they are more frequently the ones who have to do the cleaning. I have to say V4R is a very considerate housemate on this issue.

gabosaurus
11-17-2013, 12:23 AM
My sister's former charge grew up in the wilds of Colombia. There was no running water. There was no toilet paper.
You don't want to know anything else. :uhoh:

WiccanLiberal
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hsFZ7xR_B1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abbey Marie
11-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Gotta love how the article approaches this as an education issue. I am sure any guy over the age of 10 knows exactly what will happen if he doesn't aim well. If puddles and splashes are still being made by adult men, then I suggest it's either due to brain damage, inebriation, or intentional abuse.

:laugh2:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Gotta love how the article approaches this as an education issue. I am sure any guy over the age of 10 knows exactly what will happen if he doesn't aim well. If puddles and splashes are still being made by adult men, then I suggest it's either due to brain damage, inebriation, or intentional abuse.

:laugh2: Which is exactly why I laughed so hard when reading it and then decided to post about it. Boys are typically taught most of this when potty trained. Sure some guys are lazy slobs that urinate all over the place from either that laziness, ignorance or mean spiritedness. I find it hard to believe that so many do it out of ignorance. As that was the very first gun I learned to aim with correctly.. :laugh: The reality is far too many guys are stupid and just don't care IMHO. Many do it in public restrooms when they would never dare do that at home! That's malicious intent....--Tyr

glockmail
11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the size of the puddles under urinals. Yeah, guys should know how to do it, but obviously many don't. They need to post a summary of this article on the wall above every urinal in the US.

And for guys who enjoy making their wives happy, take this sage advice: clean the toilet. Don't allow your wife to do it. That goes for every other dirty job in the house as well.

aboutime
11-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Which is exactly why I laughed so hard when reading it and then decided to post about it. Boys are typically taught most of this when potty trained. Sure some guys are lazy slobs that urinate all over the place from either that laziness, ignorance or mean spiritedness. I find it hard to believe that so many do it out of ignorance. As that was the very first gun I learned to aim with correctly.. :laugh: The reality is far too many guys are stupid and just don't care IMHO. Many do it in public restrooms when they would never dare do that at home! That's malicious intent....--Tyr

For Tyr, and everyone else discussing this thread. What all of us have to admit about the public in general is...They are generally SLOBS..unless they have to clean it up themselves. And that goes for Everyone, Male, and Female.

Public restrooms in most places TRY to keep up with the cleanliness. But, we all know how far that goes.
Speaking from many years of personal experience in the navy. Those who have never lived aboard a navy ship, where bathroom/toilets are bunched, and shared by dozens of men, or women. Have no idea how disgusting PEOPLE really are, or can be...especially when...They have no need to worry about CLEANING up after they use what are called "HEADS".
I'm sure. Our fellow Navy veterans here on DP can vouch for what I am saying.
So, it doesn't really matter where you are, or who you happen to be.
Human beings...by habit. Are simply, and generally SLOBS.

WiccanLiberal
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
One of my aunts had a sign in her bathroom. "Young bucks with short horns should stand close to the bowl."

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-17-2013, 08:25 PM
After Wiccan's reply this old joke should fit right in here. My grandfather told it to me when I was about 12 years old. One pitch black night in the hills two weary walkers met in the middle of a tall bridge spanning high over the wide river between their respective homes. The young buck spoke first saying --- Howdy, nice night aint it? The much older man returned with , sure is but I have to take a piss after walking that 26 long miles tonight . The young buck returned, me too after walking just over 40 miles tonight. As they both unzipped and got down to business the young buck spoke first and declared my, my that water sure is cold!! The old feller didn't miss a beat when he replied, Sho' is and its awful damn deep too"--:laugh:-Tyr