PDA

View Full Version : World War II vet told he’s too old for memorial parade

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I know this is about a Brit WW2 soldier but feel its best placed here. It goes to show the ignorance and lack of respect so many have today for those that served so honorably in the past and helped saved the world from unimaginable tyranny. -Tyr
http://news.yahoo.com/world-war-two-vet-told-he-s-too-told-for-memorial-parade-002838715.html .
World War II vet told he’s too old for memorial parade
..By Eric Pfeiffer | Yahoo News – Sat, Nov 16, 2013.

A World War II veteran who served the British Royal Navy with distinction was told he’s now too old to take part in an annual parade honoring veterans.

The Express reports that 89-year-old Albert “Dusty” Miller has served as the grand marshal for nearly 40 years in the Royal British Legion’s annual Remembrance Day parade.

The reason? Officials say Miller is “too old to be insured.”

“They came up to me and said, 'I've got a bit of bad news for you,’” Miller told the paper. "At first I thought somebody had died and it was going to be another funeral. Then they told me HQ insisted I had to stand down as parade marshal.”

The World War II vet enlisted when he was just 16-years-old. The Express says he was awarded for each of the four military campaigns he took part in during the war, receiving the 1939-45 Star, the Atlantic Star medal, the Burma Star with a Pacific clasp and the International Submarine Service medal.

Miller said he argued that he’s still fit enough to handle the requirements of being the parade’s marshal, the requirements of which are described and organizing and leading the annual veteran’s parade. But the organizers told him that technically he should have retired from parade duties when he turned 85 because of the insurance rules.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks,” Miller said. "I was that disgusted I didn't know what to say.”

The Royal British Legion has not commented on the story but Miller noted he had served as marshal for 38 consecutive years and that, "I never even knew standard-bearers had to be insured.”

aboutime
11-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Just another sign of the times, even in G.B. these days.

Everyone who puts Drummond down, calls him names, and accuses him because of their ignorance. Do not pay attention to what his Nation is going through with the rise in Muslim strength over citizens of Britain.
Every American here who needs to disagree with Drummond, should imagine if this kind of thing was permitted to grow...right here in the USA?

Whether you are a Veteran, or not. The world has become such a dangerous place. But the selfishness of IDIOTS, and STUPIDITY they present...pretending to be something they will never, ever be as Americans is...Disgusting.
That WWII Veteran still has more courage than anyone who makes such a declaration about his age. In other words.
He exposed the true IDIOTS who have never honestly FOUGHT for anything, other than a parking place, or that Last Cookie.

Larrymc
11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
I know this is about a Brit WW2 soldier but feel its best placed here. It goes to show the ignorance and lack of respect so many have today for those that served so honorably in the past and helped saved the world from unimaginable tyranny. -Tyr .
World War II vet told he’s too old for memorial parade
..By Eric Pfeiffer | Yahoo News – Sat, Nov 16, 2013.

A World War II veteran who served the British Royal Navy with distinction was told he’s now too old to take part in an annual parade honoring veterans.

The Express reports that 89-year-old Albert “Dusty” Miller has served as the grand marshal for nearly 40 years in the Royal British Legion’s annual Remembrance Day parade.

The reason? Officials say Miller is “too old to be insured.”

“They came up to me and said, 'I've got a bit of bad news for you,’” Miller told the paper. "At first I thought somebody had died and it was going to be another funeral. Then they told me HQ insisted I had to stand down as parade marshal.”

The World War II vet enlisted when he was just 16-years-old. The Express says he was awarded for each of the four military campaigns he took part in during the war, receiving the 1939-45 Star, the Atlantic Star medal, the Burma Star with a Pacific clasp and the International Submarine Service medal.

Miller said he argued that he’s still fit enough to handle the requirements of being the parade’s marshal, the requirements of which are described and organizing and leading the annual veteran’s parade. But the organizers told him that technically he should have retired from parade duties when he turned 85 because of the insurance rules.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks,” Miller said. "I was that disgusted I didn't know what to say.”

The Royal British Legion has not commented on the story but Miller noted he had served as marshal for 38 consecutive years and that, "I never even knew standard-bearers had to be insured.”It seems to me there should be a way to allow him to continue, as long as he wants, he may need a little more help, but that should not be a problem, im sure there are plenty of current personnel who would be glad to help him.