View Full Version : Dobbs: Give it a rest, Mr. President

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/12/Dobbs.June13/index.html

for once I almost agree with Dobbs.

darin
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
What does he say?

Okay - here - try this: Quote the first bit of the piece; it'll allow users to decide if the link is worth-following :)

By Lou Dobbs

Editor's note: Lou Dobbs' commentary appears weekly on CNN.com.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- President Bush is building his legacy, adding another unfortunate line of hollow bravado to his rhetorical repertoire. To "Mission accomplished," "Bring it on," "Wanted: Dead or alive," and of course, "I earned ... political capital, and now I intend to spend it," he has added "I'll see you at the bill signing," referring to his own ill-considered push for so-called comprehensive immigration reform legislation.

Bush emerged from a midday meeting with Republican senators on Capitol Hill to declare, "We've got to convince the American people this bill is the best way to enforce our border."

No, Mr. President, someone you trust and respect must convince you that kind of tortured reasoning should never be exposed before cameras and microphones. Isn't there anyone in this administration with the guts to say, "Give it a rest, Mr. President"?

Sen. Jeff Sessions came close when he said, "He needs to back off." This president desperately needs to be reminded that he is the president of all Americans and not just of corporate interests and socio-ethnocentric special interest groups.

In what other country would citizens be treated to the spectacle of the president and the Senate focusing on the desires of 12 million to 20 million people who had crossed the nation's borders illegally, committed document fraud, and in many cases identity theft, overstayed their visas and demanded, not asked, full forgiveness for their trespasses?

Illegal aliens and their advocates, both liberal and conservative, possess such an overwhelming sense of entitlement that they demand not only legal status, but also that the government leave the borders wide open so that other illegals could follow as well, while offering not so much as an "I'm sorry" or a "Thank you."

This bill would be disastrous public policy and devastate millions of American workers and their families, taxpayers and any semblance of national security. Yet even in defeat, Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, one of the reform bill's chief architects, declared: "Doing nothing is totally unacceptable." Like the senator, Bush says the status quo is unacceptable.

The president and the senator are wrong. It is the sham legislation they support that is totally unacceptable. But if Bush and Kennedy sincerely desire resolution to our illegal immigration and border security crises, I'd like to try to help. But a word of caution, if I may, to our elected officials: Resolution of these crises will require honesty, directness and an absolute commitment to the national interest and the common good of our citizens. Here are what I consider to be the essential guiding principles for any substantive reform:

First, fully secure our borders and ports. Without that security, there can be no control of immigration and, therefore, no meaningful reform of immigration law.

Second, enforce existing immigration laws, and that includes the prosecution of the employers of illegal aliens. As Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri, put it, illegal employers are the magnet that draws illegal aliens across our border. Enforcing the law against illegal employers and illegal aliens at large in the country will mean bolstering, in all respects, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

Third, the government should fund, equip and hire the people necessary to man the Citizenship and Immigration Services. To do so will ensure that the agency is capable of fully executing and administering lawful immigration into the United States and eliminating the shameful backlog of millions of people who are seeking legal entry into this country.

Rest at Link above

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
What does he say?

Okay - here - try this: Quote the first bit of the piece; it'll allow users to decide if the link is worth-following :)

I thought you wern't supposed to do that? That's why I didn't.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Rules mean nothing to the rulers.

jimnyc
06-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Rules mean nothing to the rulers.

Try reading the "fair use act" - You're allowed to post the first few paragraphs and then link to the rest, just not entire stories.

Facts mean nothing to the dense.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Try telling that to the dense. :cool:

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 11:39 AM

He was.

darin
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM

He did - but "they" are dense, and and refuse understand. See how that works?

"They" Post BS unrelated to the topic. "They" are schooled by the "rulers" of the forum. "They" refuse to acknowledge their idiocy. Because..."They" are dense.

gabosaurus
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not dense. I am merely too intelligent to be understood by lesser mortals. :cool:

5stringJeff
06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm not dense. I am merely too intelligent to be understood by lesser mortals. :cool:

:cough: :bs1: :cough:

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 07:55 PM

:laugh2: Thanks, I needed a good laugh today. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
You have to draw the line between those who earned degrees from prestigious universities and those who barely made it out of high school. It's the difference between making intelligent points and merely drooling over voluptuous women you don't have a chance at.

Sitarro
06-14-2007, 01:32 AM
You have to draw the line between those who earned degrees from prestigious universities and those who barely made it out of high school. It's the difference between making intelligent points and merely drooling over voluptuous women you don't have a chance at.

Pretending that being a fangirl of a hockey team makes you some how part of the team shows a tremendous amount of intelligence.....not. How exactly has the Ducks winning a silly big trophy changed your life, anyone's life? Of all of the "who gives a shits" that has to rate very high.....probably along the lines of the way black people thought they had actually won something when that murderous pile of shit O.J. was let off by that idiot jury.... pathetic.:coffee:

GW in Ohio
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
You guys who oppose amnesty need to stop focusing on the resident aliens' "demand" for assimilation. All it does is continue to fuel your outrage and provide you with a reason to dig in your heels.

If you oppose amnesty, what do you propose to do? Round up all the undocumented workers and deport them? Good luck.

If you'll permit a small criticism, your attitude is essentially, "We're on board the ship. Tough luck for the rest of you. We're pulling up the gangplank." That's a pretty selfish attitude, in my opinion. The illegal aliens who crossed the border came here for the same reason every other ethnic group came here....to make a better life for themselves and their families....the same reason your ancestors came over here.

What's that you say? The other ethnic groups (The Irish, the Germans, the Italians, etc.) came here legally? That's because the only way they could get here was legally, via a ship. I guarantee you, if it had been the Germans, or the Irish or the Italians at our southern border, they would have come over exactly the same way the Mexicans did.

The Mexicans who are here illegally are law-abiding, hard-working people. They're the kind of people we want as fellow citizens. I say, let's give them a path to citizenship. If they take it, great. Make 'em legal and get them to start paying taxes. If they don't accept the path to citizenship, then we deport them.

And finally, I'm in favor of sealing off our southern border to shut off the flow of illegal immigrants. Build a wall, put the National Guard on patrol, do whatever you have to do.

Comments?