PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous cross-country storm threatens US holiday travel

Jeff
11-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I saw this and thought how much I would like to be traveling the N.E. this week and thought about how many will be, sounds like y'all need to keep your eyes open, I hope all have a great Holiday and those traveling have no issues with this storm !!

(Reuters) – Thanksgiving travel may be snarled by a wintry storm system heading for the East Coast, bringing snow, sleet and rain to a region already plunged in to sub-freezing temperatures, the National Weather Service said Sunday.
Forecasters warned the winter storm now in the Southwest could cause flight delays and icy roads for some of the millions of people traveling for the holiday, depending on the path it takes as it heads eastward.
“There’s still a whole lot of uncertainty,” Lora Wilson, a National Weather Service meteorologist, said in an interview. For now, the forecast was for heavy rain on Tuesday and Wednesday for much of the East Coast and Central Plains.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/24/dangerous-cross-country-storm-threatens-us-holiday-travel/

tailfins
11-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Right after Thanksgiving dinner my nephew, my sister and I are driving to Montreal for the long weekend. This should be interesting.

Jeff
11-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Right after Thanksgiving dinner my nephew, my sister and I are driving to Montreal for the long weekend. This should be interesting.

Hope y'all have a great time !!! Safe Travels !!

Kathianne
11-25-2013, 09:14 AM
We've a bit of snow for today and tomorrow, while cold, Thanksgiving should be sunny and dry!

Hope everyone has a good Turkey Day!

Little-Acorn
11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Looks like by Wednesday it'll only be affecting the east coast. Most of the nation will be unaffected.

So it's no big deal.

Late November is storm time. This storm doesn't look any worse than usual. We got them all the time in Minnesota, Colorado, and New Jehsey when I lived there.

Get out your jackets and shovels, and be safe.

Trigg
11-25-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm cooking this year, but even if I did family is only a half hour away.

The older two get here tomorrow, so I'm cooking some extra goodies today so they will have something when they get here. I just have to keep the younger two out of it until then. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I saw this and thought how much I would like to be traveling the N.E. this week and thought about how many will be, sounds like y'all need to keep your eyes open, I hope all have a great Holiday and those traveling have no issues with this storm !!

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/24/dangerous-cross-country-storm-threatens-us-holiday-travel/ We are driving to Nashville TN. Wednesday afternoon to spend 4 days at my daughter's new home and take the holiday with her ,her new husband and my grandson Caleb.. I do not expect any real bad weather to slow us down. My daughter's first Thanksgiving as a wife and in her new home with the new husband and new job. Will be her first solo prepared Thanksgiving meal too. Her mom was not a great cook but her grandmother, my mom, was off the charts great in that department. Usually even the NOT SO GREAT COOKS if they are Southern women are still fairly good compared to some other areas I have visited IMHO. I AM SURE KK WILL DO GREAT BUT I KNOW SHE IS NERVOUS ABOUT IT ALL. I did my best to help her when talking on the phone last night. I told her just turn on the oven , sling that stuff together, try not to burn the house down and don't overcook the cranberry sauce. :laugh: She wasn't amused at all. ;) I hope everybody here has a happy and wonderful T-day with family and friends.--Tyr

Kathianne
11-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Tyr, if I were your daughter you'd get some burnt cranberries for sure! LOL!

Had an early Thanksgiving with my kids and their spouses Sat., at older son's home. They are heading east on Wed. to celebrate with her family.

Thursday going to daughter's in-laws, always a great spread! I just wish I could hear conversations.

I'm thinking of making a turkey between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I miss cooking for a crowd and love the leftovers!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Tyr, if I were your daughter you'd get some burnt cranberries for sure! LOL!

Had an early Thanksgiving with my kids and their spouses Sat., at older son's home. They are heading east on Wed. to celebrate with her family.

Thursday going to daughter's in-laws, always a great spread! I just wish I could hear conversations.

I'm thinking of making a turkey between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I miss cooking for a crowd and love the leftovers! haha, I know you would Kat and it'd be a well deserved jab too. I wouldn't be shocked if KK does exactly that because proud to say my daughter sure thinks a lot like you. :clap:--Tyr

Abbey Marie
11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Kath I'm sorry you cannot hear the conversations. I am sure we cannot imagine how that feels.

I'm glad we are staying put for this one. I'm a pretty average cook, but we will have both fireplaces going and drink the Veuve Clicquot I've been saving for an occasion.

And of course, lots of this:

http://smallbiztrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/football.jpg

It will be just the three of us, so VERY low key, and we will miss all the relatives.

Have a great time, everyone, and enjoy your families while they are here.

jimnyc
11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
It's supposed to start getting crappy here tomorrow afternoon up until mid-day on Thursday for the turkey. We're just doing a small turkey and all the extras for the 3 of us. If it's not junk food, the boy eats like a bird. The woman already eats like a bird. I'll be eating like a mammoth sized pig who turned into a zombie and ate all of his friends!

tailfins
11-25-2013, 07:45 PM
It's supposed to start getting crappy here tomorrow afternoon up until mid-day on Thursday for the turkey. We're just doing a small turkey and all the extras for the 3 of us. If it's not junk food, the boy eats like a bird. The woman already eats like a bird. I'll be eating like a mammoth sized pig who turned into a zombie and ate all of his friends!

If they eat turkey like a bird, wouldn't that make them cannibals?

jimnyc
11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
If they eat turkey like a bird, wouldn't that make them cannibals?

I always wondered that. What if you toss out some of the bird in the yard for the local birds, you know they'll eat it!!

My wife always gets a small turkey anyway. They eat small portions and I'll eat the rest. I'll actually eat more of the sides than anything. I usually start with about 5lbs of mashed potatoes, 5lbs of stuffing and 5lbs of the turkey, then mix a bit of all 3 with each bite. I love mixing!! :laugh:

Kathianne
11-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I always wondered that. What if you toss out some of the bird in the yard for the local birds, you know they'll eat it!!

My wife always gets a small turkey anyway. They eat small portions and I'll eat the rest. I'll actually eat more of the sides than anything. I usually start with about 5lbs of mashed potatoes, 5lbs of stuffing and 5lbs of the turkey, then mix a bit of all 3 with each bite. I love mixing!! :laugh:

I brought to my son's and will to the 'in-laws' my mom's au gratin potatoes. LOL! Those and making gravy are my specialties.

Jim, you'd love the potatoes. I can't give measurements, it all depends on the casserole dish I'm using. While my dad always sliced the potatoes for my mom, I use my mandolin, as I slice my fingers whenever I use a knife.

You need:

A bunch of baking potatoes
Shredded sharp cheddar-lots
butter
flour
salt & pepper
milk

Peel spuds, put in cold water while you keep peeling more and more. When finished, clean water and start slicing-however you choose to do that.

Put slices into another pot of cold water until finished with all spuds.

Pam your casserole dish. Take a handful of slices and shake off water. Make single layer in the bottom. A dash of salt and pepper. Add cheddar. Take a decent pinch of flour and cover. Dot with bits of butter. Repeat and repeat until casserole is filled or you're happy with having used all your potatoes.

So you've got your whole bowl full, now comes the tricky part, adding the milk. Slowly drizzle over potatoes, watching the sides. When you can see the milk beginning to appear, add one more bit. Stop! (Should just be peeking through perhaps at 3rd or 4th level down of potatoes. Got to be careful not to add too much, just enough. LOL! Oh, throw more cheddar on top if milk sort of knocked it down.

Bake at 400, covered for 45 minutes or so. Put more cheddar on, remove top, bake another 15-20 minutes until brown.

BTW, can also layer in leftover ham when making or add the ham to leftover potatoes in ramekins or another bowl-don't forget to add a bit of milk and more cheddar!

jimnyc
11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
I brought to my son's and will to the 'in-laws' my mom's au gratin potatoes. LOL! Those and making gravy are my specialties.

Jim, you'd love the potatoes. I can't give measurements, it all depends on the casserole dish I'm using. While my dad always sliced the potatoes for my mom, I use my mandolin, as I slice my fingers whenever I use a knife.

You need:

A bunch of baking potatoes
Shredded sharp cheddar-lots
butter
flour
salt & pepper
milk

Peel spuds, put in cold water while you keep peeling more and more. When finished, clean water and start slicing-however you choose to do that.

Put slices into another pot of cold water until finished with all spuds.

Pam your casserole dish. Take a handful of slices and shake off water. Make single layer in the bottom. A dash of salt and pepper. Add cheddar. Take a decent pinch of flour and cover. Dot with bits of butter. Repeat and repeat until casserole is filled or you're happy with having used all your potatoes.

So you've got your whole bowl full, now comes the tricky part, adding the milk. Slowly drizzle over potatoes, watching the sides. When you can see the milk beginning to appear, add one more bit. Stop! (Should just be peeking through perhaps at 3rd or 4th level down of potatoes. Got to be careful not to add too much, just enough. LOL! Oh, throw more cheddar on top if milk sort of knocked it down.

Bake at 400, covered for 45 minutes or so. Put more cheddar on, remove top, bake another 15-20 minutes until brown.

BTW, can also layer in leftover ham when making or add the ham to leftover potatoes in ramekins or another bowl-don't forget to add a bit of milk and more cheddar!

I love au gratin potatoes!! My Mommy used to make them for me, I even remember she always made it in this corning ware dish. Never did get a recipe though, was never a recipe kind of guy. I'll print this one out and see if I can make a go of it for the holiday, or maybe bribe the woman to do so!! :)

CSM
11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I will be taking my in laws (who are both elderly; the FiL has Alzheimers and the MiL is deaf) to their daughter's house for Thanksgiving. I enjoy their company so it is not a chore for me. I gotta tell ya, having a conversation with someone with Alzheimers is interesting (to say the least!). In fact, you get to have the same conversation about every ten minutes. Fortunately, he has a great sense of humor, wo we get to laugh a lot. Looking forward to it all and I hope the rest of you have a great day too!

Jeff
11-26-2013, 07:58 AM
We are driving to Nashville TN. Wednesday afternoon to spend 4 days at my daughter's new home and take the holiday with her ,her new husband and my grandson Caleb.. I do not expect any real bad weather to slow us down. My daughter's first Thanksgiving as a wife and in her new home with the new husband and new job. Will be her first solo prepared Thanksgiving meal too. Her mom was not a great cook but her grandmother, my mom, was off the charts great in that department. Usually even the NOT SO GREAT COOKS if they are Southern women are still fairly good compared to some other areas I have visited IMHO. I AM SURE KK WILL DO GREAT BUT I KNOW SHE IS NERVOUS ABOUT IT ALL. I did my best to help her when talking on the phone last night. I told her just turn on the oven , sling that stuff together, try not to burn the house down and don't overcook the cranberry sauce. :laugh: She wasn't amused at all. ;) I hope everybody here has a happy and wonderful T-day with family and friends.--Tyr

Try we got a little bit of freezing rain last night and they are calling for heavy rain today and then tomorrow snow showers and all that mess, but I am past where you will be heading so maybe you will luck out, just be careful on Monteagle ( I am guessing you will hit it anyway ) it is a beautiful ride but not so much in the snow.

Kathianne
11-26-2013, 08:19 AM
I love au gratin potatoes!! My Mommy used to make them for me, I even remember she always made it in this corning ware dish. Never did get a recipe though, was never a recipe kind of guy. I'll print this one out and see if I can make a go of it for the holiday, or maybe bribe the woman to do so!! :)

"Dash of salt & pepper" hard to explain this, as I wouldn't want anyone to use a heavy hand or not enough. I use those McCormick grinders, pick them up in spices. I used 5 grinds of pepper, and 3 of salt on each layer. Remember the cheddar has salt in it! BTW, I use unsalted butter. I use perhaps 6 dots of butter per layer, just even it out.

If you have ham, you can add slices or chopped ham to it too, it's own layer if doing so from the beginning.

Bacon would be a fine addition!

Hope you get to try them. ;)

jimnyc
11-26-2013, 08:23 AM
"Dash of salt & pepper" hard to explain this, as I wouldn't want anyone to use a heavy hand or not enough. I use those McCormick grinders, pick them up in spices. I used 5 grinds of pepper, and 3 of salt on each layer. Remember the cheddar has salt in it! BTW, I use unsalted butter. I use perhaps 6 dots of butter per layer, just even it out.

If you have ham, you can add slices or chopped ham to it too, it's own layer if doing so from the beginning.

Bacon would be a fine addition!

Hope you get to try them. ;)

The McCormick grinders is what the wife has too, well at least for the pepper. And chopped ham and bacon in it, now THAT sounds awesome! Hell, maybe I should make it today as a test? :coffee:

Kathianne
11-26-2013, 08:37 AM
The McCormick grinders is what the wife has too, well at least for the pepper. And chopped ham and bacon in it, now THAT sounds awesome! Hell, maybe I should make it today as a test? :coffee:

LOL! They are not hard. I used 8 potatoes for dinner on Sat, there were 6 of us. I had about a cereal bowl full at the end, threw some cheddar and a bit of milk on in the morning, popped it in oven for about 20 minutes. Breakfast!

They are addictive, like I said, doesn't matter if summer or winter, when I ask anyone who's had them, "What can I bring?" Potatoes! :laugh2:

Jeff
11-26-2013, 08:46 AM

My wife just picked up a 24 lb bird , the problem is Jim is I am going to eat just like you only there is a whole lot more :laugh: We are having friends over to spend Thanksgiving together, I am looking forward to Turkey day it seems like more this year than previous years .

Kathianne
11-26-2013, 08:55 AM
My wife just picked up a 24 lb bird , the problem is Jim is I am going to eat just like you only there is a whole lot more :laugh: We are having friends over to spend Thanksgiving together, I am looking forward to Turkey day it seems like more this year than previous years .

I don't know if it's just me or if people are doing less entertaining than in the past. I think it's been more difficult to spend the $$ having folks over and with the economy not rebounding, hard to get 'up' to go to the bother.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are basically holidays too big to fail. ;) Once they get rolling, the cooking and baking go forth. I think if I had young kids today, I'd focus more on company and celebrating with the dinner, than going hog wild on presents. Kids remember their 'holidays', not so much the toys they've outgrown! There are reasons we all remember the 'ugly sweaters or pj's' they stick out in the mind! LOL!

Like Jim said in earlier post, 'my mom made those, she always used the Corning Ware dish,' that's the kind of thing kids remember.

Jeff
11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't know if it's just me or if people are doing less entertaining than in the past. I think it's been more difficult to spend the $$ having folks over and with the economy not rebounding, hard to get 'up' to go to the bother.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are basically holidays too big to fail. ;) Once they get rolling, the cooking and baking go forth. I think if I had young kids today, I'd focus more on company and celebrating with the dinner, than going hog wild on presents. Kids remember their 'holidays', not so much the toys they've outgrown! There are reasons we all remember the 'ugly sweaters or pj's' they stick out in the mind! LOL!

Like Jim said in earlier post, 'my mom made those, she always used the Corning Ware dish,' that's the kind of thing kids remember.

You are so right Kat, I remember my family having a big time on all the Holidays but Thanksgiving started it all, the entire family would get together at one point during the day , heck the kitchen table was filled with deserts and the house had a special smell , the pie's where over filled ( not like these flat "Ms. Smith's pies" everyone seems to get now a days ) And the TV had football on all day, it's nice to think back of the days when we didn't have all these headaches we do now a days .

Kathianne
11-26-2013, 11:46 AM
You are so right Kat, I remember my family having a big time on all the Holidays but Thanksgiving started it all, the entire family would get together at one point during the day , heck the kitchen table was filled with deserts and the house had a special smell , the pie's where over filled ( not like these flat "Ms. Smith's pies" everyone seems to get now a days ) And the TV had football on all day, it's nice to think back of the days when we didn't have all these headaches we do now a days .

Well I've been lucky with Thanksgiving and Christmas for the most part. I loved when I was young and I loved when hosting. Right now there's no way I could afford to do so, but lucky that I go to folks that make a big deal out of. No 'Mrs. Smith's' there. LOL!

Even the other night, realized I did teach my kids a few things. My daughter-in-law made a turkey breast, my son a standing rib roast. ;) He 'had to try it for a crowd. 6 of us!

I was mostly addressing that for my family, when I was small, even when my kids were younger, we had people over at least once a month. Might just be my folks and brother and his family; might be a real crowd for a grill or roast beef dinner, then games. I did on a smaller scale when the kids got older. This economy has brought with it other ways of cutting back, this was just the first to go.

Still, holidays bring it back.

Abbey Marie
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM

You three and we three should have a joint Thanksgiving!

red states rule
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Cold damp rain today and temps to drop to mid 20's tonight

Damn I hate winter

tailfins
11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Try we got a little bit of freezing rain last night and they are calling for heavy rain today and then tomorrow snow showers and all that mess, but I am past where you will be heading so maybe you will luck out, just be careful on Monteagle ( I am guessing you will hit it anyway ) it is a beautiful ride but not so much in the snow.

Before they opened I-24, Monteagle was an adventure in and of itself. For an upclose and personal understanding of this, detour off to US-41. Then imagine an overloaded truck barely able to climb the grade followed by a parade of cars, some of them overheating.

fj1200
11-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Before they opened I-24...

It's hard to imagine the interstates NOT being there and how it must have been to travel before they were constructed. That's some sweet socialism right there. ;)

drummond fodder

red states rule
11-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Now light snow and the wind is picking up

Damn I hope I can retire to Hawaii one day

Kathianne
11-27-2013, 03:42 PM
My son and his wife got into Philadelphia this morning on time. Driving to Atlantic City, her grandmother lives there. I'm so glad they got in safely!

gabosaurus
11-28-2013, 12:28 AM
We will be experiencing winter conditions on Thanksgiving Day. The high temperature will be 65 and the low will dip below 50.

Kathianne
11-28-2013, 02:47 AM
We will be experiencing winter conditions on Thanksgiving Day. The high temperature will be 65 and the low will dip below 50.

Respectively, shut up! ;)

red states rule
11-28-2013, 03:28 AM

Have a safe and wonderful holiday Gabby. Looks like you will not be on the beach on Turkey Day :laugh: