PDA

View Full Version : Votes at Stake: Proposal would change voting system

glockmail
06-13-2007, 12:36 PM
This clearly and end-run around the Constitution and must be stopped. These State Legislators that support this should be hung.

Legislators in North Carolina, and other states across the country, are taking a look at changing the way voters elect a president.

Under a bill approved by the N.C. Senate last month, North Carolina’s 15 votes in the Electoral College would go to the presidential candidate who wins the national popular vote instead of the winner of the North Carolina vote. The change would take effect only if enough other states pass similar bills.http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351609020&path=&s=

Mr. P
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Polls show that majorities of both Democrats and Republicans favor awarding the presidency to the candidate who receives the most votes nationwide.
I don't believe that for a second. A majority vote would move this country closer to a democracy and it's ultimate collapse. IMO

There is so much wrong with this idea. Anyone that thinks this is a good thing is either lying, doesn't understand our form of government or has their head up their ass.

Joe Steel
06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
This clearly and end-run around the Constitution and must be stopped. These State Legislators that support this should be hung.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351609020&path=&s=

This is an excellent idea; so good, in fact, I surprised any Republican would support it.

glockmail
06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
This is an excellent idea; so good, in fact, I surprised any Republican would support it.

Since you have demonstrated many times over that you are liberal, are clueless to what the Constitution says and despise our republican form of government, your opinion should not surprise anyone.

When the bill was approved by the state Senate last month, it passed along partisan lines, with Democrats supporting it and Republicans opposing it.

06-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Not surprising that people ignorant of the Constitution would support it.

JohnDoe
06-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm not certain that this is ''unconstitutional'' Avatar, though it would circumvent its intent in my opinion.

Each state can cast their electoral votes in the way the deem appropriate.

Recently, there has been some talk of some states choosing to cast their electoral votes split, by the percentages of the various party votes within their state instead of all of them going to just the winner.

I am not certain whether these proposals have passed, but there has been serious consideration to such, from what I have read.

Gaffer
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Any time there's an attempt to change the voting laws and usurp the constitutions its a democrat.

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Actually two or three states have voted to do away with the electorial college.