PDA

View Full Version : It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Your Own Home In San Rafael, California

Jeff
11-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Soon you will have a live in guard :rolleyes: I wonder if the same people making these laws will also be paying these people's rent ? But there is hope, they have all ready stated it isn't fair because it effects low income families so it will be interesting to see if Liberal Californa goes the way a Lib normal does ( PC ) or if they decide to attack the poor low income families ( tough spot to be in for a liberal :laugh: )

In a unanimous decision, members of the San Rafael City Council have approved the strictest type of smoking ordinance (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/23/san-rafael-smoking-ban_n_4326768.html) in the country. Effective last week, Assembly Bill 746 (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB746) bans residents of apartments, condos, duplexes, and multi-family houses from smoking cigarettes and “tobacco products” inside their homes.
http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/_external/2013_11/a-crimemoonfall-pixflickr.jpg?h=135&w=200Moonfall Pix/FlickrIntroduced by Assembly Member Marc Levine and pushed by the Smoke-Free Marin Coalition (http://www.smokefreemarin.com/NewsandUpdates.html) for over seven years, the ordinance applies to owners and renters in all buildings that house wall-sharing units for three or more families. The purpose is to prevent second-hand smoke from travelling through doors, windows, floorboards, crawl spaces, or ventilation systems (i.e. any conceivable opening) into neighboring units.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/25/it-is-now-illegal-to-smoke-in-your-own-h

CSM
11-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Soon you will have a live in guard :rolleyes: I wonder if the same people making these laws will also be paying these people's rent ? But there is hope, they have all ready stated it isn't fair because it effects low income families so it will be interesting to see if Liberal Californa goes the way a Lib normal does ( PC ) or if they decide to attack the poor low income families ( tough spot to be in for a liberal :laugh: )

http://reason.com/blog/2013/11/25/it-is-now-illegal-to-smoke-in-your-own-h

Isn't it wonderful how there are those who are willing to go to any length to protect the people? I will be greatly relieved when they get around to making sports illegal and really happy when they make booze illegal (again).

logroller
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
What if its medicinal?

red states rule
11-27-2013, 11:26 AM
So lets take a closer look at the liberal thought process

Libs need revenue and levy heavy taxes on tobacco products

Libs, using the excuse for public health. pass restrictive laws of the sale and use of tobacco products

Libs, citing decreasing revenues, raise the already high taxes on tobacco products

Go figure

If I still smoked, I would light up in my house out of pure damn spite - and tell city officials to stuff any citation I would get

logroller
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
So lets take a closer look at the liberal thought process

Libs need revenue and levy heavy taxes on tobacco products

Libs, using the excuse for public health. pass restrictive laws of the sale and use of tobacco products

Libs, citing decreasing revenues, raise the already high taxes on tobacco products

Go figure

If I still smoked, I would light up in my house out of pure damn spite - and tell city officials to stuff any citation I would get

What if someone was growing rice in their apartment (above yours) and water comes through, soaking your belongings. Would their rice being taxed make it ok?

red states rule
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
What if someone was growing rice in their apartment (above yours) and water comes through, soaking your belongings. Would their rice being taxed make it ok?

Not relevant

That is what renters ins is for. :laugh:

I understand personal responsibility is a foreign concept to you LR - but I try not to depend on others

revelarts
11-27-2013, 05:45 PM
well all be Randy Marsh in a few years if this keeps up

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j2zlPNGuPbw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Arbo
11-27-2013, 06:03 PM
While it is an utterly stupid law, it appears those that whine about it forget that whole Constitution and 10th amendment thing. It's not being done on a federal level. Hell, not even on a state wide level.

logroller
11-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Not relevant

That is what renters ins is for. :laugh:

I understand personal responsibility is a foreign concept to you LR - but I try not to depend on others

Its as relevant as your tobacco tax comment.

Does your rental insurance cover tobacco-smoke related illness?

I realize consideration of others is a foreign concept to you, but I try not to harm others.

red states rule
11-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Its as relevant as your tobacco tax comment.

Does your rental insurance cover tobacco-smoke related illness?

I realize consideration of others is a foreign concept to you, but I try not to harm others.

As I clearly stated I no longer smoke however YOU should be delighted BF. Smoking is considered as a "pre-existing condition" under Obamacare. You remember Obamacare don't you?

Well you used to comment on it and express how you were looking forward to the roll out - then suddenly - you stopped expressing your support

As far as the tax - if you goal is to raise revenue through taxing an activity - then you should do everything possible to encourage that activity. Libs do the exact opposite. They pass a tax then do everything possible to discourage the activity. Then wonder why the revenue is not flowing into the government

logroller
11-28-2013, 04:21 AM
As I clearly stated I no longer smoke however YOU should be delighted BF. Smoking is considered as a "pre-existing condition" under Obamacare. You remember Obamacare don't you?

Well you used to comment on it and express how you were looking forward to the roll out - then suddenly - you stopped expressing your support

As far as the tax - if you goal is to raise revenue through taxing an activity - then you should do everything possible to encourage that activity. Libs do the exact opposite. They pass a tax then do everything possible to discourage the activity. Then wonder why the revenue is not flowing into the government
Oh good for you. Still dodging the question I see. The rest of your strawman diatribe is irrevelent. Clearly you know the answer to the question is devastating to your premise of personal responsibility. When someone smokes in their apartment and that smoke makes its way to adjacent units it causes others harm. Fact--Second hand smoke kills. So rsr, when the person next door smokes and a child gets asthma fits or worse, who's personally responsible: the child? The parents? Despite what your boyfriend says, even you're not that big an asshole.

red states rule
11-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Oh good for you. Still dodging the question I see. The rest of your strawman diatribe is irrevelent. Clearly you know the answer to the question is devastating to your premise of personal responsibility. When someone smokes in their apartment and that smoke makes its way to adjacent units it causes others harm. Fact--Second hand smoke kills. So rsr, when the person next door smokes and a child gets asthma fits or worse, who's personally responsible: the child? The parents? Despite what your boyfriend says, even you're not that big an asshole.

I answered your tax question BF. Perhaps you should go back and brush up on Economics 101 and get back to me

As far as the heart tugging liberal talking point - second hand smoke is over hyped much like global warming. I see you are now in the desperate stage to try and excuse more government intrusion into our lives

And I see you are maintaining the standards of staff in your personal comments. Jim must be so proud of you

Given your anti gay slurs you must be trying to replace Alec Baldwin at MSNBC with your own show.

logroller
11-28-2013, 06:12 AM
I answered your tax question BF. Perhaps you should go back and brush up on Economics 101 and get back to me
Answer? You must define answer as dodge, dismiss and deny. Indeed, you nailed it then. Back to Econ claims again-- care to explain why oil prices and quantity consumed can both be near their highest mr Econ 101?

As far as the heart tugging liberal talking point - second hand smoke is over hyped much like global warming. I see you are now in the desperate stage to try and excuse more government intrusion into our lives

Over-hyped? Guess I can add deluded to the d***-words you're into... Or rather, in you. How bothered you must be that you can't harm others and get away with it. Its no wonder taxes go through the roof-- government is charged with protecting the public from people like you, whose only positive contribution to society is tax revenue.

And I see you are maintaining the standards of staff in your personal comments. Jim must be so proud of you
That is not a topic for debate. You have a problem with staff-- take it to Jim. But alas, you know that-- you've done it before and I haven't mentioned that subject, even in jest. But still you beat that drum. somebody's jealous.

Given your anti gay slurs you must be trying to replace Alec Baldwin at MSNBC with your own show.
My bad. I hadn't thought about how calling you gay maybe insulting to other gays. :laugh:

red states rule
11-28-2013, 06:19 AM
You asked about taxes and I gave a logical and reasonable explanation about taxes and how to raise revenue. Perhaps it was too deep for you to cope with

Only a liberal would allow government to "take care of people" and forgo personal responsibility and go with flawed research. Typical of a big government liberal like yourself

As far as my comment about you - sure go ahead a flame and then hide behind your title. I do not have a problem with you BF. I know you are a liberal who has a short fuse with anyone who has a different opinion then you do. I also know you fall back on personal attacks when you are boxed into a corner and cannot defend your liberal beliefs. YOU flamed first and I simply pointed out that is something Jim does not want from staff. YOU are the problem not me. So by all means hide and cower behind your position on the board

So go ahead an keep up with the gay slurs. I guess that is all you have to try and elevate yourself despite the fact you have a very inflated opinion of yourself

Have a nice day LR

logroller
11-28-2013, 08:02 AM
You asked about taxes and I gave a logical and reasonable explanation about taxes and how to raise revenue. Perhaps it was too deep for you to cope with
"Sugar, rum, and tobacco, are commodities which are no where necessaries of life, which are become objects of almost universal consumption, and which are therefore extremely proper subjects of taxation." Adam Smith, An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of The Wealth of Nations, 1776

Perhaps reality is too deep for you to cope with? Taxes on tobacco have had a profound effect on decreasing the number of smokers, especially among the young. Econ 101 describes this as elasticity.

Only a liberal would allow government to "take care of people" and forgo personal responsibility and go with flawed research.
Flawed research? I call bullshit. Show me one piece of research that says second-smoke is less than harmful. Just one.

As far as my comment about you - sure go ahead a flame and then hide behind your title.
I do not have a problem with you BF. I know you are a liberal who has a short fuse with anyone who has a different opinion then you do. I also know you fall back on personal attacks when you are boxed into a corner and cannot defend your liberal beliefs. YOU flamed first and I simply pointed out that is something Jim does not want from staff. YOU are the problem not me. So by all means hide and cower behind your position on the board
A) You flamed first, see your post 6, saying that I lacked intrinsic personal responsibility.
B) You brought up my title, not I. It doesn't have any bearing on the discussion.
C) I'll let Jim speak for himself; but given that you aren't staff, I yield to your expertise on what not to do. You're exemplary in this regard.

So go ahead an keep up with the gay slurs. I guess that is all you have to try and elevate yourself despite the fact you have a very inflated opinion of yourself

Have a nice day LR
Not to toot my own horn but I have a pretty great life. I have a lasting marriage to a wonderful wife; three beautiful children; family and friends to die for; a good job and I still receive other offers; I now own my home and cars, outright; and I'm a community leader that has influence at the local level in a city of over a half-million. That's all good and, although I'm content with far less, I'm not finished.

You're very abrasive and condescending and I can't help but think there's something in your closet that you're scared of getting out. It's probably just the reality that you're not what mama hoped for so you glam onto whatever jabs you can take at others who, not only aspire to greater things but actually achieve them. Just accept who you are and let go of the bitterness.

Jeff
11-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Seriously y'all are OK with the Government telling you you can't do something that is legally sold and legal to own, ya just can't use it :eek: As for the second hand smoke , if you are worried what others do might hurt you then maybe you should buy a single dwelling . If you have ever been in the Hallway of a apartment building where a Indian lives it flat out stinks ( the spices they use have a very nasty odor) should we make them cooking illegal ? When you pay to rent something it is suppose to be yours until the lease runs out so no the Gov. has no right to tell you that you can't use a product that is legal to buy IMO .

fj1200
11-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Seriously y'all are OK with the Government telling you you can't do something that is legally sold and legal to own, ya just can't use it :eek: As for the second hand smoke...

It's a matter of controlling negative externalities, pollution in this case; Government is the only entity in this scenario that can realistically control such things. The other things to take into consideration is that your private property rights theoretically extend to the point that they affect the rights of another individual, i.e. their health. Of course it's no surprise that this sort of thing is happening around SF, CA. They try to solve many barely existent problems.

red states rule
11-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Seriously y'all are OK with the Government telling you you can't do something that is legally sold and legal to own, ya just can't use it :eek: As for the second hand smoke , if you are worried what others do might hurt you then maybe you should buy a single dwelling . If you have ever been in the Hallway of a apartment building where a Indian lives it flat out stinks ( the spices they use have a very nasty odor) should we make them cooking illegal ? When you pay to rent something it is suppose to be yours until the lease runs out so no the Gov. has no right to tell you that you can't use a product that is legal to buy IMO .

It is amazing how so many people are willing to let the government intrude more and m ore into their lives and even into their home. They are willing to allow that intrusion under the assumption the government knows what is best for them and their families

Why so many people are willing to submit to the whims of the Feds and submit under the guise that the government cares more about their family then they do

Jeff I saw a story of TV a hot sauce maker had to CLOSE because a Judge ruled they odor the factory gave off was too "offensive" to the neighbors. A business is closed and people out of a job because people are "offended"

What the hell is happening to this nation?