PDA

View Full Version : Broward may cancel deal with radio station because it airs Rush Limbaugh

stephanie
06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
By Scott Wyman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 13 2007, 1:19 PM EDT

Rush Limbaugh has long been a thorn in the side of liberals, but now, because of him, some Democratic politicians don't even want to join with a local radio station to broadcast hurricane information.

Radio station WIOD, AM 610, has been the official channel for emergency information from Broward County government for the past year. The County Commission, all Democrats, balked at renewing the deal Tuesday, unable to stomach the station also being home to Limbaugh's talk show.

Commissioner Stacy Ritter said she did not want to support a station that's out of step with area politics. Ritter, a Democratic stalwart in the state Legislature before being elected to county office, cited talk shows hosted by Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and WIOD's partnership with Fox News.

"They have every right to speak, but we don't have to do business with them," she said.

Limbaugh responded to the commissioners Wednesday on his radio show. He said the county's qualms about WIOD are a sign of out-of-control partisanship in the nation. He quipped that if the county wanted him off the air, all that officials would need to do is schedule emergency press conferences during his broadcast from noon to 3 p.m.

"They are politicizing the delivery of emergency news, which is non-partisan," said Limbaugh, who lives in Palm Beach. "They are making weather a partisan issue."

Limbaugh has long been a fixture on WIOD, but no county official raised an issue about him or the other shows when the deal was approved for the first time a year ago.

The deal with WIOD would ensure that news conferences are broadcast start to finish live from the county Emergency Operations Center in Plantation. Emergency managers became concerned during hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 that radio and television stations preempted their announcements in favor of news out of Miami.

The rest..and lots of comments at....http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-churricane13jun13,0,4183214.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Hagbard Celine
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
It's not that he's a thorn. It's that he's a no-talent hack drug addict who never says anything true or even remotely funny or positive. He's like a piece of rotten fruit that is so rotten it has turned black and the mold growing on it has sprouted-out and grabbed ahold of whatever is in the near vicinity and not even the fruit flies have an interest in it anymore because it's just so rotten that it might as well be dirt.

glockmail
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
It's not that he's a thorn. It's that he's a no-talent hack drug addict who never says anything true or even remotely funny or positive. He's like a piece of rotten fruit that is so rotten it has turned black and the mold growing on it has sprouted-out and grabbed ahold of whatever is in the near vicinity and not even the fruit flies have an interest in it anymore because it's just so rotten that it might as well be dirt.

Not that your opinion has any meaning whatsoever, but since the station is the best signal in the county, it can be heard in an emergency by the most people. Therefore moving to another station could potentially risk lives. The Democrats are willing to do this for pure political reasons. :slap:

theHawk
06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
If he is just a no talent hack then why does he ruffle so many feathers? lol

Rush's on-air commentary sends liberals running away from debating issues. Much like shinning light on cockroaches.

nevadamedic
06-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Rush's on-air commentary sends liberals running away from debating issues. Much like shinning light on cockroaches.

No kidding.

Abbey Marie
06-13-2007, 07:28 PM
This is so reminiscent of Gov. Blanco's refusal to accept Federal assistance during the early days of Katrina. She too put partisan politcs ahead of the very lives of her constituents.

Oh, and conservatives wouldn't need to stoop to such pathetic levels even if they wanted to- no one listens to liberal talk radio anyway.

06-13-2007, 09:52 PM

This seems to be a frequent topic, but since liberals cant seem to answer if i have to ask it again: What has Rush lied about?

You guys say he never says anything true, so why is it so damn difficult for you to find one thing?

gabosaurus
06-14-2007, 12:54 AM
The biggest way to hurt radio and TV stations is through the pocketbook. If a community doesn't like the programming of a station, it should refuse to deal with it. Liberal or conservative. Though there are very few non-conservative talk radio programs.

Sitarro
06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
The biggest way to hurt radio and TV stations is through the pocketbook. If a community doesn't like the programming of a station, it should refuse to deal with it. Liberal or conservative. Though there are very few non-conservative talk radio programs.

Exactly why there aren't any non-conservative talk radio programs, nobody listens to them when they are forced on the public....that includes that joke that is taxpayer helped, NPR.

Sitarro
06-14-2007, 01:24 AM

Typical of the silly shit you always tend to throw out in a lame ass attempt to be relevant...... you just aren't and neither is your opinions or whomever's opinions you are parroting. Tell the truth Celine, you've never heard a single Rush Limbaugh show, have you? Dickhead.

stephanie
06-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Typical of the silly shit you always tend to throw out in a lame ass attempt to be relevant...... you just aren't and neither is your opinions or whomever opinions you are parroting. Tell the truth Celine, you've never heard a single Rush Limbaugh show, have you? Dickhead.\

They probably haven't.........

But, the meme is........rush sucks...whether we listen to him or not...

At least I've tried to listen to Randie Rhodes.........

:lame2:the woman....????????:laugh2:

dan
06-14-2007, 09:26 AM
This seems to be a frequent topic, but since liberals cant seem to answer if i have to ask it again: What has Rush lied about?

Right off the bat, he denied being a drug addict for a while.

He is constantly ranting about the "liberal media conspiracy", for which there is no solid evidence.

Abbey Marie
06-14-2007, 09:33 AM

He is constantly ranting about the "liberal media conspiracy", for which there is no solid evidence.

Does he really say there is a conspiracy, or does he claim there is widespread bias? Either way, that's giving an opinion, not lying. You should read the book Bias, by former CBS correspondent Bernard Goldberg. It's a real eye-opener.

Can you cite an instance where he has lied about the subject matter of his shows?

Kathianne
06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Does he really say there is a conspiracy, or does he claim there is widespread bias? Either way, that's giving an opinion, not lying. You should read the book Bias, by former CBS correspondent Bernard Goldberg. It's a real eye-opener.

Can you cite an instance where he has lied about the subject matter of his shows?

I have to agree with you Abbey, while I don't like Rush much myself, the 'charge' that he denied drug use for awhile strikes me as a non-starter, as by definition addict connotes a problem with awareness.

dan
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM

I'll check it out. Unfortunately, I got a huge pile of books for some Summer reading, and now I haven't really been following up on the actual READING part!

As for Rush, I have two major problems with him:

1) his entire personality really irritates me. Everything he says is "folks, I'm so smart for knowing this, anybody who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, etc., etc."

and

2) His across-the-board support of Republicans, regardless of their stance, simply because they're Republicans. I don't trust anybody who votes or thinks solely along party lines.

But, at the end of the day, he's just a guy trying to cause a commotion and make money. He's no different than Michael Moore.

Kathianne
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll check it out. Unfortunately, I got a huge pile of books for some Summer reading, and now I haven't really been following up on the actual READING part!

As for Rush, I have two major problems with him:

1) his entire personality really irritates me. Everything he says is "folks, I'm so smart for knowing this, anybody who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, etc., etc."

and

2) His across-the-board support of Republicans, regardless of their stance, simply because they're Republicans. I don't trust anybody who votes or thinks solely along party lines.

But, at the end of the day, he's just a guy trying to cause a commotion and make money. He's no different than Michael Moore.

I agree with #1. :laugh2: In fairness though, I believe he's been riding GW on immigration bill.

All this is besides the point, no group should be able to remove civil defense or weather warnings because of programming.

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM

It ruffles feathers because this particular no-talent hack has an enormous mouthpiece from which to broadcast his negativity. Atleast that's what ruffles my feathers. I take what he says with a grain of salt, but the fact that he reaches so many is what blows my mind. Also the fact that so many are willing to listen to pure vitreol on a daily basis blows my mind. No wonder heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. Everybody's listening to stressful, hateful radio all the time!

stephanie
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
:lol:If listening to Rush is stressful and hate radio..

What do you call listening to Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, Olbermann, Jack Cafferty...????.

Easy listening....:coffee:

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
:lol:If listening to Rush is stressful and hate radio..

What do you call listening to Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, Olbermann, Jack Cafferty...????.

Easy listening....:coffee:

I don't listen to those guys either. If you're starting to detect a trend, you're a sharp one. I'm not interested in the opinions of talking heads.

dan
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
All this is besides the point, no group should be able to remove civil defense or weather warnings because of programming.

I agree 100% with everything here.

Hobbit
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Exactly, and with 22 million listeners (cited on his show today), the people have spoken, and they want Rush Limbaugh to stay on the air. If they had all voted in 2004, they would have comprised over %10 of all votes (significantly less than that for the American Idol vote that kicked out Sanjaya).

I, personally, find the man both charming and funny. What's really funny is that most of the people who spit his name as if it was a curse and hate him with every fiber of his being take him far more seriously than he takes himself, and many of them haven't even listened to his show.

Abbey Marie
06-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Whichever side you favor, I think it's helpful to have people who act as news watchdogs, so to speak. There is so much out there to absorb. And I don't mind sifting through their strong opinions to settle on the ones I agree with. I just don't trust the MSM to be straight with us anymore. And that goes for Internet news distributers too, like Yahoo. The danger is, if you listen too much, you can become very cynical.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM

1. That's typical of all drug abusers. But he rose above that very quickly.
2. I've been listening in for about 15 years and never heard him call it a conspiracy.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
It ruffles feathers because this particular no-talent hack has an enormous mouthpiece from which to broadcast his negativity. Atleast that's what ruffles my feathers. I take what he says with a grain of salt, but the fact that he reaches so many is what blows my mind. Also the fact that so many are willing to listen to pure vitreol on a daily basis blows my mind. No wonder heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. Everybody's listening to stressful, hateful radio all the time!

You never answered the question. :poke::poke:

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

2) His across-the-board support of Republicans, regardless of their stance, simply because they're Republicans. I don't trust anybody who votes or thinks solely along party lines......

I haven't seen this either. He's blasted many republicans many, many times, including Bush.

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
2. I've been listening in for about 15 years and never heard him call it a conspiracy.

The fact that he calls it the "liberal media," which he is a part of by the way, is proof positive that he thinks there is a conspiracy. Deep down he thinks there's a dark chamber somewhere from which Al Gore issues memos to his media cronies. He thinks there's a puppet master, which is crazy. He's crazy. There, see? I proved that Limbaugh is a crazy, overweight drug addict.

Abbey Marie
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
The fact that he calls it the "liberal media," which he is a part of by the way, is proof positive that he thinks there is a conspiracy. Deep down he thinks there's a dark chamber somewhere from which Al Gore issues memos to his media cronies. He thinks there's a puppet master, which is crazy. He's crazy. There, see? I proved that Limbaugh is a crazy, overweight drug addict.

I don't see any proof there. He is pointing out that the MSM is overall liberal. Unless he is saying that the various outlets get together to plan biased coverage, it's no more than that. People like to talk of "conservative talk radio". Is that proof positive that they are callling it a conspiracy?

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't see any proof there. He is pointing out that the MSM is overall liberal. Unless he is saying that the various outlets get together to plan biased coverage, it's no more than that. People like to talk of "conservative talk radio". Is that proof positive that they are callling it a conspiracy?

Look harder. Rush lumps "the media" into a basket and tags it with the word "liberal." I personally know that he wears a tinfoil cap when he does his show so that Al Gore can't use his liberal telepathy to take over his show. Proof positive, he's crazy. Talk radio is conservative. The only person worth mentioning on talk radio is Rush Limbaugh, and I think it's no secret that he's a conservative. The only people who listen to talk radio are grumpy-old people anyway. It's a perfect match--that's why air america didn't work. Libs are usually young, professional people who can afford XM radio. Who needs or wants to listen to scratchy-old AM radio, especially when the only thing on it is Rush's hot air?

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Actually he has explained this phenomenom very well. Many media outlets follow the lead of the NYT, and occasionally Democrat talking points, but mostly its just intellectual laziness and like-mindedness. The proof is in the pudding, when several separate journalists all use the same obscure terms on the same day. Remember when Presidential Candidate George W. Bush lacked "gravitas"? Do you think they all came up with that term on the exact same day? Of course not. That opinion was held by several liberal media types, one of them came up term, the remainder thought it was catchy and ran with it.

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Actually he has explained this phenomenom very well. Many media outlets follow the lead of the NYT, and occasionally Democrat talking points, but mostly its just intellectual laziness and like-mindedness. The proof is in the pudding, when several separate journalists all use the same obscure terms on the same day. Remember when Presidential Candidate George W. Bush lacked "gravitas"? Do you think they all came up with that term on the exact same day? Of course not. That opinion was held by several liberal media types, one of them came up term, the remainder thought it was catchy and ran with it.

So you've noticed it too! Fox News always echoes the White House's talking points. If Tony Snow said it, you can bet it'll be repeated over and over on the Fox News chyron as well as by all the beautiful talking heads that day.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Look harder. Rush lumps "the media" into a basket and tags it with the word "liberal." I personally know that he wears a tinfoil cap when he does his show so that Al Gore can't use his liberal telepathy to take over his show. Proof positive, he's crazy. Talk radio is conservative. The only person worth mentioning on talk radio is Rush Limbaugh, and I think it's no secret that he's a conservative. The only people who listen to talk radio are grumpy-old people anyway. It's a perfect match--that's why air america didn't work. Libs are usually young, professional people who can afford XM radio. Who needs or wants to listen to scratchy-old AM radio, especially when the only thing on it is Rush's hot air?

:lol:

I figgered you were just pulling this out your ass. Now I now. Good move- you had me going there for a while. :laugh2:

glockmail
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
So you've noticed it too! Fox News always echoes the White House's talking points. If Tony Snow said it, you can bet it'll be repeated over and over on the Fox News chyron as well as by all the beautiful talking heads that day.

The difference is, of course, is that Snow is the official spokesman for the Administration. Fox reporting on what he says is their job.

What the beautiful Alan Coombs and Geraldo Rivera opine about it is something different altogether. :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
The difference is, of course, is that Snow is the official spokesman for the Administration. Fox reporting on what he says is their job.

What the beautiful Alan Coombs and Geraldo Rivera opine about it is something different altogether. :laugh2:

Geraldo's 'stache savvy-ness is unparalleled. Alan Combs is an alien. That's Fox news for you. Cast a handsome, all-American as the Conservative--Hannity--and cast the Toxic Avenger as his "liberal" co-host. What a joke Fox News is. And they do more than "report" on what Tony Snow says. They repeat it like a mantra.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Geraldo's 'stache savvy-ness is unparalleled. Alan Combs is an alien. That's Fox news for you. Cast a handsome, all-American as the Conservative--Hannity--and cast the Toxic Avenger as his "liberal" co-host. What a joke Fox News is. And they do more than "report" on what Tony Snow says. They repeat it like a mantra.

So you have the hots for Sean. :poke:

But the fact is that lots of outspoken libs are ugly. Look at Rosie. Look at Mike. Look at Harry Reid, or George Soros.

I think Fox did pretty well considering.

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
So you have the hots for Sean. :poke:

But the fact is that lots of outspoken libs are ugly. Look at Rosie. Look at Mike. Look at Harry Reid, or George Soros.

I think Fox did pretty well considering.

Yes, I have the hots for Hannity :rolleyes: All that proves is that ugly people compensate for their hideousness by being loud. There are also a lot of beautiful people who are also liberal minded. Look at Angelina Jolie. I mean, she alone makes up for all the ones you listed. Plus, I have a trump card that beats everything like an ace of spades anytime a conservative says anything about any liberal: Dick Cheney. My work here is done.

dan
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM

1. That's not really an excuse. Suicide bombings are typical of all militant Muslims, does that make it OK? And, I don't think I'd call lying for a couple weeks, then finally admitting the truth after overwhelming evidence was found to be "rising above that".

2. That's just splitting hairs. He talks about the MSM like it's a huge connected liberal machine working to bring down the president. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Hobbit
06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
1. That's not really an excuse. Suicide bombings are typical of all militant Muslims, does that make it OK? And, I don't think I'd call lying for a couple weeks, then finally admitting the truth after overwhelming evidence was found to be "rising above that".

It seems to be enough for the likes of Bill Clinton, and Ted Kennedy still hasn't admitted any wrongdoing in the Mary Jo Kopechne case. Limbaugh's come clean. He asked forgiveness. He's been forgiven by his listeners.

He also got hooked on the druge during its normal use. He's an imperfect man who made a mistake. Would you like everything you ever did wrong a matter of public record? Now, if he'd come out and said he didn't do anything wrong and went right back to doing it as soon as he thought he could get away with it, then I'd be a little ticked off.

2. That's just splitting hairs. He talks about the MSM like it's a huge connected liberal machine working to bring down the president. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

He's said before that he doesn't think it's intentional. He, Neal Boortz, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and others have all called out the liberal bias in nearly every nationally marketed media network, save most radio networks. It doesn't mean they meet in some dark room to decide how to spin something. Instead, it's a (probably unintentional) clouding of EVERYTHING they do. It's not just how they report the stories. It's what they choose to report and what not to report.

I'd also like to point out that if you listened to Rush, you'd know that he calls them the 'drive-by' media, because they like to rush in, paint whatever kind of picture of a story they want people to believe, then move on before any counterpoint can be given, kinda like how they made a big stink about Plame being LEAKED but had moved on to the latest Paris Hilton nonsense by the time anybody could point out that there was nothing to leak.

06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
cant help but notice there is still not even a claim on what Rush apparently lies about.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes, I have the hots for Hannity :rolleyes: All that proves is that ugly people compensate for their hideousness by being loud. There are also a lot of beautiful people who are also liberal minded. Look at Angelina Jolie. I mean, she alone makes up for all the ones you listed. Plus, I have a trump card that beats everything like an ace of spades anytime a conservative says anything about any liberal: Dick Cheney. My work here is done.

Angelina's only one hole though. She makes up for Rosie, but you've got plenty of coyote-uglies to fill in.

glockmail
06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

1. I never said it was an excuse. The hallmark of a conservative is that he accepts responsibility for his actions, which Rush did quickly, in spite of his initial falure.
2. I wouldn't call it spiltting hairs. In fact, Rush makes fun of Hillary all the time for her comment on the "vast right wing conspiracy". He understands what liberals do and how, and uses that to predict their behavior.

Hobbit
06-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Angelina's only one hole though. She makes up for Rosie, but you've got plenty of coyote-uglies to fill in.

Let's also not forget that Angelina Jolie has not made a career out of political commentary and isn't very well educated in that arena. Lots of hollywood types are liberal minded, but how many of them are guest commentators on news shows or have their own (successful) show or ever write a decent book on the subject? Geez, there are female conservatives in politics, news, and opinion who are absolute babes while the who's who of female liberal commentators and authors is like a Mt. Rushmore of ugly. There must be exceptions somewhere, but Laura Bush and Condi Rice are much better looking that Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer, and don't even get me started on comparing Michelle Malkin, Laura Ingraham, and Peggy Noonan to Rosie O'Donnel, Janeane Garofalo, and Helen Thomas. Well, to be nice, I'll let you drop Helen Thomas and add Randi Rhodes.

Yurt
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM

That is not the lies the libs are accusing him of. Besides, that is really more "denial" than "lying." An addict can not admit to themselves they are addict, that is why the first step is "admitting" you need help or that you are addict, one of those two.

Yurt
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Does anyone else see this as a possible first amendment issue?

glockmail
06-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Let's also not forget that Angelina Jolie has not made a career out of political commentary and isn't very well educated in that arena. Lots of hollywood types are liberal minded, but how many of them are guest commentators on news shows or have their own (successful) show or ever write a decent book on the subject? Geez, there are female conservatives in politics, news, and opinion who are absolute babes while the who's who of female liberal commentators and authors is like a Mt. Rushmore of ugly. There must be exceptions somewhere, but Laura Bush and Condi Rice are much better looking that Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer, and don't even get me started on comparing Michelle Malkin, Laura Ingraham, and Peggy Noonan to Rosie O'Donnel, Janeane Garofalo, and Helen Thomas. Well, to be nice, I'll let you drop Helen Thomas and add Randi Rhodes.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78&d=1172796621

dan
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
It seems to be enough for the likes of Bill Clinton, and Ted Kennedy still hasn't admitted any wrongdoing in the Mary Jo Kopechne case. Limbaugh's come clean. He asked forgiveness. He's been forgiven by his listeners.

It's not enough for me. Clinton should've been punished for lying under oath, and Ted Kennedy should be rotting in a cell for what he did.

He also got hooked on the druge during its normal use. He's an imperfect man who made a mistake. Would you like everything you ever did wrong a matter of public record? Now, if he'd come out and said he didn't do anything wrong and went right back to doing it as soon as he thought he could get away with it, then I'd be a little ticked off.

I wouldn't want everything I ever did wrong to be a matter of public record, but if I made my living telling millions of people what everyone else is doing wrong, I wouldn't be surprised when my wrongdoings came out.

However, this is really all moot because this....

That is not the lies the libs are accusing him of.

Is completely true.

Does anyone else see this as a possible first amendment issue?
Hadn't thought of it from that angle but I think it definitely could be (and possibly should be).

Hagbard Celine
06-15-2007, 09:00 AM

He's said before that he doesn't think it's intentional. He, Neal Boortz, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and others have all called out the liberal bias in nearly every nationally marketed media network, save most radio networks. It doesn't mean they meet in some dark room to decide how to spin something. Instead, it's a (probably unintentional) clouding of EVERYTHING they do. It's not just how they report the stories. It's what they choose to report and what not to report.

I'd also like to point out that if you listened to Rush, you'd know that he calls them the 'drive-by' media, because they like to rush in, paint whatever kind of picture of a story they want people to believe, then move on before any counterpoint can be given, kinda like how they made a big stink about Plame being LEAKED but had moved on to the latest Paris Hilton nonsense by the time anybody could point out that there was nothing to leak.

You're wrong. Scooter Libby is not in JAIL now because there was "nothing" to leak. :rolleyes:

Hobbit
06-15-2007, 09:23 AM
You're wrong. Scooter Libby is not in JAIL now because there was "nothing" to leak. :rolleyes:

Is he in jail for leaking? Is ANYBODY in jail for leaking? No. Libby is in jail because his hours and hours of testimony had a few key parts that were inconsistant with the testimony given by reporters who testified only after being threatened with life in prison by the special prosecutor. If anything had been leaked, Richard Armitage, not Scooter Libby, would have been prosecuted.

dan
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM

I know that's what he calls them. I think it's ridiculous, though. The reason the media moves on so quickly is because we're in the middle of an electronic information revolution. Literally everything that happens can be reported within minutes. I don't think there was ever a conscious effort to move to the "drive-by" style, that's just how it became. As with absolutely everything else in our society in the past decade, the public's need for information in the MSM has exponentially increased. They paint the picture that is most immediately available, then move on, they don't paint what they want people to believe.

Chuck Klosterman has a great essay about this in his new book, Chuck Klosterman IV. He's a journalist who started his career in the very conservative midwest and now works in NYC, and he explains how there is little to no difference with the way printed media is prepared in either region.

glockmail
06-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I know that's what he calls them. I think it's ridiculous, though. The reason the media moves on so quickly is because we're in the middle of an electronic information revolution. Literally everything that happens can be reported within minutes. I don't think there was ever a conscious effort to move to the "drive-by" style, that's just how it became. As with absolutely everything else in our society in the past decade, the public's need for information in the MSM has exponentially increased. They paint the picture that is most immediately available, then move on, they don't paint what they want people to believe.

Chuck Klosterman has a great essay about this in his new book, Chuck Klosterman IV. He's a journalist who started his career in the very conservative midwest and now works in NYC, and he explains how there is little to no difference with the way printed media is prepared in either region.

Wrong. Rush calls them "drive by" because they create sensationalism out of next to nothing, and then move on and ignore the aftermath of the problems that they themselves have caused. They don't report news anymore- they manuafacture it.

Sitarro
06-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Angelina Jolie is beautiful? Really, you think that thing is beautiful(have you seen it without the 3 pounds of makeup?), your idea of beauty must be a pit bull.

You admit to never listening to talk radio or watching Fox and yet you have opinions on both, uninformed opinions(obvious when you use all of the standard childish criticisms of Rush like, that he is fat, he isn't actually...look at something current). You are a silly little boy (a skinny, undernourished binge drinking frat that is a nicotine addict)that is not informed enough about anything to have an actual opinion.......oh wait, you're in college, I guess that's where you get your opinions, from what someone else that has never listened or watched any of these shows. And I guess you know what someone else wrote in a book about something too, write back when you actually get into the real world.

Sitarro
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
These are predominantly print journalist, not the tv anchors but interesting findings......

http://www.journalism.org/node/2304

The American Journalist
Politics and Party Affiliation
October 6, 2006
In findings likely to fuel the raging debate over the issue of media bias, a new book concludes that the nation’s journalists have moved a bit to the right since the 1990s, but are still considerably more liberal than the general public.

This political snapshot of the media comes from the new edition of “The American Journalist in the 21st Century: US News People at the Dawn of a New Millenium,” the major academic study of the characteristics of American newsrooms. Published every 10 years since the 1970s, it is based on four decades of survey data, the latest a national telephone survey of 1,149 mainstream journalists conducted in 2002.

In the most recent survey, 40% of journalists described themselves as being on the left side of the political spectrum (31% said they were “a little to the left” and 9% “pretty far to the left”). But that number was down notably, seven percentage points from 1992, when 47% said they leaned leftward.

The percentage of “middle of the roaders” moved up slightly to 33% in 2002 from 30% in 1992. And the number of journalists identifying themselves leaning toward the political right also inched up to 25% from 22% a decade earlier (20% “a little to the right” and 5% “pretty far to the right”).

Sitarro
06-15-2007, 11:20 PM
beautiful?????

Abbey Marie
06-15-2007, 11:21 PM
I realized she was weird when I heard she wore a vial of Billy Bob Thornton's blood around her neck.

Sitarro
06-15-2007, 11:25 PM
How about the kiss she gave to her brother on the Academy Awards.....uncomfortable moment for everyone watching.

Abbey Marie
06-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Ewww.

dan
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
What does Angelina Jolie have to do with this topic?