PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft, Security flaw or marketing scheme?

Fennec
11-29-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2310014/microsoft-warns-of-windows-xp-zero-day-exploit-in-the-wild It used to be that when a exploit was found, it was patched with an update. But is Microsoft not getting enough money from it's winxp support revenues? What happens to the companies that run custom software tailored for winxp, they have to pay both an upgrade fee, keep paying for support AND pay a development firm to redesign a new software compatible with win 7 or 8 then deal with the down time caused by data migration and new software testing...wouldn't want to be on that boat!It used to be that when an exploit was found, it was patched with an update. But is Microsoft not getting enough money from its winxp support revenues? What happens to the companies that run custom software tailored for winxp, they have to pay both an upgrade fee, keep paying for support AND pay a development firm to redesign a new software compatible with win 7 or 8 then deal with the down time caused by data migration and new software testing...wouldn't want to be on that boat!

jimnyc
11-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I was working on a laptop for someone recently and had to manually find the major SP releases as they are no longer found via Windows Update - and if you install XP on a machine, you almost HAVE to have SP3 if you want things running smoothly. Now you have to go to Microsoft's site and search for an hour to find the 200Mb+ service pack and do it manually.

I'm testing out various Linux packages that you can boot off of on a USB stick. Might just do away with windows someday!!

Fennec
11-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Truth is in a couple of years XP will become old news. The fact that Microsoft will stop posting updates for it and being the money hungry corporation that it is will never hand it out to the open source community, it'll just become too unsafe for anyone to use. I personally installed win8 on a machine I recently built for gaming and it's not too bad for a desktop, but I do lose a couple of seconds every time I boot it up because I have to click on the "desktop" tile to get into a usable format...start screen...what a piece of :lame2: