PDA

View Full Version : Bah! I Hate The Cold!

Kathianne
12-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Why am I living in Chicago area? Three reasons: Kendall, Bryan, & Derek. Ok, make that 3 + the best brother, his family, and friends in the world!

Still...

Take particular note of Sunday and after. January and February are much colder than December here, record wise.

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/forecast/

Tom Skilling's 7-Day forecast <style type="text/css" media="all"> #DayCell { width: 120px; float:left; position: relative; } #IconCell { width: 140px; float: left; } #ForecastCell { min-width: 140px; max-width: 330px; margin-right: 10px; float:left; } .dayofweek { font-size: 14px; font-weight: 800; color: #0b83bf; padding-top:0px; line-height: 22px; text-align: left; } .highlowlabel { font-weight: 100; color: #AAA; text-align: left; } .highlowtemps { text-align: left; } .hightext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 800; } .lowtext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 100; } .forecasttextbold { font-size: 12px; font-weight: 800; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 6px; border-bottom: dotted 1px #CCC; text-align: left; } .forecasttext { padding-top: 6px; font-size: 12px; text-align: left; } .divider { border-bottom: solid 1px #0b83bf; margin-bottom: 10px; clear: both; } </style>

Thursday
HIGH/LOW
32°/17°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_sunny.jpg
Markedly colder! Thursday's peak 32-degree temperature is to be 24-degrees below Wednesday's 56-degree high and 6-degrees below normal.
Gusty west to northwest winds 11 to 23 mph produce daytime chills in the 16 to 24-degree range. -A bit of mixed, filtered sunshine early but the day's cloud cover is to increase and nearly overcast skies are likely to dominate most of the day. Temperatures won't move more than a few degrees all day and may trend lower, easing back into the upper 20s to around 30 as an overcast takes hold. Extensive cloudiness and colder Thursday night. Northwest overnight winds 7 to 16 mph. Overnight lows are to range from upper single digits in a few of the coldest far west and northwest suburbs to 17 at O'Hare and near 20 in the Loop.

Friday
HIGH/LOW
23°/9°

The area is to shiver through the season's coldest daytime and nighttime temps since last February.
Daytime temperatures as much as 10-degrees colder than Thursday's and 15-degrees below normal. A good deal of cloudiness, but spells of mixed sun develop and grow more numerous in time during the afternoon. Northwest winds 7 to 16 mph produce wind chill (apparent) temperatures mainly in the 10 to 15-deg range. Skies clear Friday night allow still colder temperatures. Readings dip to low and mid single digits coldest inland locations to +9 at O'Hare to the mid teens in the Loop.

Saturday
HIGH/LOW
22°/15°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_sunny.jpg
Mostly sunny----but cold for the season.
Daytime highs 15-degrees below the normal of 37-degrees. The day's lighter wind regime is to spare area residents more modest wind chills than might otherwise have occurred. Northwest winds of 4 to 13 mph are likely to produce wind chills limited to the teens. Nighttime temps may briefly drop fairly sharply heading into Saturday night but should level off and even stage a modest rebound toward daybreak Sunday. Variable overnight winds swing east to northeast 4 to 9 mph overnight.

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
31°/24°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/light_snow.jpg
The area could be in for an accumulation of snow, particularly late in the day into Sunday night.
A disturbance lifting northeastward from the Gulf of Mexico produces Sunday's thickening cloud deck, While a few flurries can't be ruled out, particularly lakeside areas in the morning, the potential for broader coverage snowfall increases in the afternoon or evening. Snow continues into Sunday night. There are indications sections of the Chicago may see several inches of snow. East to northeast winds strengthen 10 to 22 mph and continue Sunday night.

Monday
HIGH/LOW
26°/5°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_cloudy_snow.jpg
The second arctic blast of the week gets underway in the strong northwest winds on the backside of our late weekend storm system.
Flurries and clouds may linger into morning, but clouds are likely to break allowing mixed sunshine. Temps open in the mid 20s and fall into the teens by evening. Bears game kick-off time Monday evening and night weather: Becoming mostly clear, but windy and frigid. Early estimates for kick-off time weather at Soldier Field: Temps 10 to 16-degrees; northwest winds 16 to 26 mph; game time winds chills 0 to -8-degrees.

Tuesday
HIGH/LOW
13°/2°

Cold! Generous sunshine mixes in the afternoon with some clouds.
Temperatures rise no higher than the teens for the first time this season -- levels more than 20-deg below normal amid gusty west to southwest winds 12 to 24 mph. A few flurries are possible early Tuesday night, then clearing, blustery and bitterly cold. Nighttime lows may dip below zero in the coldest inland locations ranging to +2 at O'Hare and +6 in the Loop.

Wednesday
HIGH/LOW
13°/3°

Mostly sunny but continued unseasonably cold.
Highs limited again to the teens -- readings more than 20-deg below normal. Northwest winds ease 6 to 14 mph.

Jeff
12-06-2013, 01:33 AM
We reached 70 today Kat, but it was a drizzling rain all day , our cold is suppose to be back on Sunday , 44 for the high and 42 for the low.

Kathianne
12-06-2013, 01:42 AM
We reached 70 today Kat, but it was a drizzling rain all day , our cold is suppose to be back on Sunday , 44 for the high and 42 for the low.

Jeff, I hate you for today! LOL! Still I know that 40's if cold for y'all and sorta/kinda/not much feel your pain. ;) I've a bunch of LA cousins and they were complaining how the humidity was making them crazy in clearing the carports. Sigh. Last week they were complaining of cold nights, actually went down to the 30s! LOL!

Jeff
12-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Kat when I go hunting in the winter down here I am always the first back to the heater in the truck :laugh: and I hear it every time how I should be use to the cold , it doesn't work that way 30's at night is now very cold for me but when I was a kid in NJ I would plow snow all night wearing just a flannel , I guess your body adapts to your surroundings ( and mine did very quickly , cold is cold :laugh: )

Kathianne
12-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Kat when I go hunting in the winter down here I am always the first back to the heater in the truck :laugh: and I hear it every time how I should be use to the cold , it doesn't work that way 30's at night is now very cold for me but when I was a kid in NJ I would plow snow all night wearing just a flannel , I guess your body adapts to your surroundings ( and mine did very quickly , cold is cold :laugh: )

I think I could get used to the South. Now, how do I get the boys down there? The daughter is heading for UK for at least a year, though I'm guessing more.

Jeff
12-06-2013, 02:41 AM
I think I could get used to the South. Now, how do I get the boys down there? The daughter is heading for UK for at least a year, though I'm guessing more.

HMMMM the UK, might be nice to visit them for a extended stay ;)

Florida is where I really want to wind up Kat, My Dad has a place in Port Charlotte and it is beautiful, yes it gets hot but everything has A/C and for the most part the breeze from the ocean is enough to keep ya from getting to hot, hopefully I will be there real soon .

Kathianne
12-06-2013, 03:22 AM

Florida is where I really want to wind up Kat, My Dad has a place in Port Charlotte and it is beautiful, yes it gets hot but everything has A/C and for the most part the breeze from the ocean is enough to keep ya from getting to hot, hopefully I will be there real soon .

I hear you. Same with my brother and I, though can't recommend FL for the kids. For me? Only with teaching job in hand. For my brother, docs saying that Jay's brain tumor is no longer 'life threatening.' So far they won't say that. So it's likely my brother will be here for foreseeable future. If I got an offer, I'd take it, since none are forthcoming here. I'd be hoping that my bro and SIL felt secure enough to put distance between their son and their grandchildren. Like I said, not holding my breath.

fj1200
12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Two words: Heated clothes. :)

On another note: Shorts and T-shirt today. :poke:

Jeff
12-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Two words: Heated clothes. :)

On another note: Shorts and T-shirt today. :poke:

Fj I just let the dog out and man the sun is out and it is warm as can be, only down fall if the Weather channel is saying rain by noon, Hmmm I can get a quick ride for breakfast before the rain :thumb:

fj1200
12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Fj I just let the dog out and man the sun is out and it is warm as can be, only down fall if the Weather channel is saying rain by noon, Hmmm I can get a quick ride for breakfast before the rain :thumb:

I haven't seen the sun yet but I'd give it a try if I were you.

Gaffer
12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
We currently have ice rain. And 3 to 6 inches of snow expected by tonight.

Little-Acorn
12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Bah! I Hate The Cold!

Ditto! Last night it got all the way down to **52** degrees F!

I ask you!

:bye1:

Gaffer
12-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Bah! I Hate The Cold!

I ask you!

Why does the term "suffer bitches" suddenly come to mind?

Arbo
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
It was great here this morning. It was 0. Which means it's neither hot nor cold, right? No temperature means it can't be bad, right?

Little-Acorn
12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Bah! I Hate The Cold!

I ask you!

If this keeps up, I may have to put the top up on my convertible.
Brrrrr........ :freezing:

tailfins
12-06-2013, 06:57 PM
We currently have ice rain. And 3 to 6 inches of snow expected by tonight.

Better cold than poor.

Gaffer
12-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Better cold than poor.

I'm poor because of heating costs.

gabosaurus
12-06-2013, 08:47 PM
My husband's oldest sister lives in Minneapolis. She is one of those odd people who embraces cold weather. It was below zero this morning, which she told her mom was "a bit chilly."

Kathianne, you should come to Australia with us. We plan to be on the beach on Christmas Day, enjoying the expected high-eighties temperatures and watching Santa come in on a surfboard. :cool:

Larrymc
12-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Why am I living in Chicago area? Three reasons: Kendall, Bryan, & Derek. Ok, make that 3 + the best brother, his family, and friends in the world!

Still...

Take particular note of Sunday and after. January and February are much colder than December here, record wise.

http://www.chicagoweathercenter.com/forecast/Come on kath, its a dry cold right, :laugh:

red states rule
12-08-2013, 06:42 AM
I will have to deal with a Global Warming storm later today and tomorrow. Should make driving to work a lot of fun

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 AM EST MONDAY... * PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW AND SLEET... THEN CHANGING OVER TO FREEZING RAIN MID AFTERNOON AND CONTINUING THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.
* ACCUMULATIONS... 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET... FOLLOWED BY A QUARTER INCH OF ICE. THE HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS OF ICE WILL BE AT ELEVATIONS BELOW 1500 FEET.
* TIMING... SNOW AND SLEET WILL BEGIN SUNDAY MORNING... THEN WILL CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON. FREEZING RAIN WILL CONTINUE SUNDAY NIGHT... EVENTUALLY CHANGING TO RAIN LATE MONDAY MORNING. THE GREATEST ACCUMULATION OF ICE WILL TAKE PLACE ON SUNDAY NIGHT.
* TEMPERATURES... LOW TO MID 20S.
* WINDS... NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH.
* IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE PROBABLE DUE TO SLICK ROADS AND ICY CONDITIONS ESPECIALLY ALONG INTERSTATE 81 AND IN SHELTERED VALLEY LOCATIONS. DOWNED TREE BRANCHES AND LIMBS ALONG WITH POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY.

red states rule
12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Snowing like hell here right now, and the road outside my house is totally covered

They have increased the amount of snow but are still calling for 1/4 inch of ice

Maybe one day I can retire to Hawaii

Abbey Marie
12-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Kath, the cold builds character. And keeps the "characters" off the streets committing crime.
But I suppose at this point you've built enough character!

I personally like the feeling of being all cozy inside when it's cold outside. Especially when we have the fireplace going. I wouldn't trade it.

red states rule
12-08-2013, 12:35 PM
25 degrees and snow is accumulating pretty damn fast

What a lousy day

tailfins
12-08-2013, 12:56 PM
... the cold builds character. And keeps the "characters" off the streets committing crime.

That's one reason I like to visit Canada in the Winter. Once it was New Year's in Manitoba, another February in Quebec, December in Saskatchewan, and this year Montreal just after USA Thanksgiving. Crowds suck, Canada is less crowded, particularly in Winter; there's not a crappy Province out of the ten unless you try to get a job. Just don't go too far North in the Winter because you'll get little or no daylight. One day I want to see if it's possible to drive in a regular car to Tuktoyaktuk, NT in late February or early March.

Drummond
12-08-2013, 01:40 PM

It does have its good points (political correctness culture notwithstanding ..)

What we don't basically get, is ...

... anything like the extreme this describes. We do get extremes in weather ... more usually wind related, though. Just a couple of days ago much of the UK suffered a tidal surge said to be the worst we've had since 1953.

But such temperature extremes, certainly in the space of just a couple of days, are just about unknown here. I'm glad of it .. adaptation must be hell ...

tailfins
12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
But such temperature extremes, certainly in the space of just a couple of days, are just about unknown here. I'm glad of it .. adaptation must be hell ...

It's not as bad as you think, one just becomes insensitive to temperature. The continent's mid-section has such wild swings. Places like Denver, Cheyenne, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Oklahoma, the Dakotas can easily have short sleeve highs above 70 degrees F followed by lows well below freezing in the same day.

It's amazing how a $2,000 weekly net paycheck can make you forget the weather report. Driving a new Lexis in the snow is better than riding a city bus in Miami.

Trigg
12-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't mind the cold, I just wish that it would snow.

The kids will only play outside in this weather if there are snowballs to throw at each other. :laugh:

gabosaurus
12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I would rather be warm and wealthy. You people can keep all the snow up north. :cool:
We were watching some of the snow game earlier and my daughter asked if the snow was fun to play in. She has never seen the stuff.

Abbey Marie
12-08-2013, 08:03 PM
We had around 11 inches. Yippee!!

Kathianne
12-09-2013, 12:12 AM
We got perhaps 3-4", though were supposed to get only a dusting. I truly hate winter now. I used to love snow, didn't even mind cold. Loved sledding and skating, not too mention building snowmen and having snowball fights. Not any more! My hand is aching!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2013, 12:44 AM
I would rather be warm and wealthy. You people can keep all the snow up north. :cool:
We were watching some of the snow game earlier and my daughter asked if the snow was fun to play in. She has never seen the stuff. As a kid I loved he snow. Here in the South they shut down schools as soon as the first flakes start to fall. As an adult I quickly learned to dislike the snow and the cold. I always loved the Summer and the sunshine. And not just because the girls dressed far skimpier in hot weather although that was surely an added gift. ;) I mean bikini's came in and we guys thanked God for a miracle.. :clap:--Tyr

red states rule
12-09-2013, 02:52 AM
8 inches of snow here but it looks like the ice we were to get fizzled. I am going to leave early for work and take my sweet time

Where is that global warming libs keep bellowing about - I am sick of the cold!!!!!

DragonStryk72
12-09-2013, 03:29 AM
Well, I'm fairly happy with the weather here in VA Beach. It's basically like late autumn in NY until half-way through February, when it starts to warm back up.a

red states rule
12-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Round 2 on the way this morning

What the hell happened to that damn global warming I was hearing so much about?

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW... HEAVY AT TIMES.
* ACCUMULATIONS... 3 TO 6 INCHES.
* TIMING... BY DAWN IN VIRGINIA... AND A LITTLE AFTER SUNRISE IN NORTHERN MARYLAND.
* TEMPERATURES... IN THE LOWER 30S.
* WINDS... NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH.
* IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FROM HEAVY SNOW. THE SNOW WILL IMPACT THE MORNING RUSH TUESDAY WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATION RATES OF 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR.

jimnyc
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
It snowed again starting at about 7 this morning here and I would guess we got between 1-3 inches and then it stopped. It looks good on lawns and trees but it never really stuck on the streets. It just started up again about a half an hour ago and they we might get one more inch. Luckily, not enough to have to shovel, as I've retired from that position. I'm saving my allowance for a good snow blower, but only because I was denied having a new driveway installed with heat underneath!

red states rule
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
It snowed again starting at about 7 this morning here and I would guess we got between 1-3 inches and then it stopped. It looks good on lawns and trees but it never really stuck on the streets. It just started up again about a half an hour ago and they we might get one more inch. Luckily, not enough to have to shovel, as I've retired from that position. I'm saving my allowance for a good snow blower, but only because I was denied having a new driveway installed with heat underneath!

Another 5 inches here and traffic was a mess this morning

Did not even think about going to work today. Many accidents and spin outs on the highway I have to take every day

Snow has stopped but temps drop into the teens tonight

aboutime
12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Well, I'm fairly happy with the weather here in VA Beach. It's basically like late autumn in NY until half-way through February, when it starts to warm back up.a

Dragon. As a neighbor of yours. We like this kind of weather because the NAVY stops, or limits training flights out of Oceana.

Autumn is about the limits of our Winter, as you said.

Remember. If the news mentions snow in any way. The WORLD comes to an end, and schools close.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Arbo
12-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Kathianne
12-11-2013, 12:11 AM
It's not pretty here:

Wednesday
HIGH/LOW
18°/-4°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_cloudy_chance_of_snow.jpg
Cloudy, winds gusting over 25 mph shift to the north and cold.
Snow in the morning diminishes before noon with total accumulations of 1 to 3 inches possible. Clearing in the afternoon as skies become mostly sunny. Highs hold in the upper teens with sub-zero wind chills. Chance of some snow or flurries again later at night. Frigid with overnight lows below zero.

Thursday
HIGH/LOW
16°/15°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_cloudy_chance_of_snow.jpg
Some light snow or flurries in the morning – becoming partly sunny.
Gusty winds out of the west with highest afternoon temperatures in the middle teens then falling. Partly cloudy overnight steady or slowly rising temperatures.

Friday
HIGH/LOW
28°/26°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/cloudy.jpg
Clouds and flurries dominate.
Windy. Cold eases a bit as afternoon highs reach the upper 20s but wind chills remains challenging. Thickening and lowering clouds at night with snow likely toward morning, as southerly winds shift to the north-northeast.

Saturday
HIGH/LOW
32°/13°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/snow.jpg
Snow and windy . Significant accumulations a threat.
Highest temperatures peak in the lower 30s then fall back through the 20s overnight as snow diminishes to flurries. Heavier snow showers develop in northwest Indiana

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
18°/0°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_cloudy_snow.jpg
Partly cloudy with snow showers.
Some heavy in northwest Indiana. Early morning highs in the upper teens fall to near zero at night. Northerly winds gust in excess of 30 mph slowly subside. Temperatures fall to around zero overnight.

Monday
HIGH/LOW
19°/13°

Partly sunny and continued cold.
Highs top out just shy of 20 degrees nearly 15 degrees below seasonable normals. Overnight lows hold in the 10-15 range.

DragonStryk72
12-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Dragon. As a neighbor of yours. We like this kind of weather because the NAVY stops, or limits training flights out of Oceana.

Autumn is about the limits of our Winter, as you said.

Remember. If the news mentions snow in any way. The WORLD comes to an end, and schools close.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lol, and I will still be meandering about in shorts and jacket. Only real issue is that ocean wind will try it's level best to rip the skin off your face.

red states rule
12-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Now they are talking about a Nor'easter this weekend where the snow will be measured in FEET not inches. Saturday and Sunday should be "fun"

Right now the only issue I will have going to work today is watching for black ice

Damn Hawaii is looking so nice right now

aboutime
12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
lol, and I will still be meandering about in shorts and jacket. Only real issue is that ocean wind will try it's level best to rip the skin off your face.

Dragon. We now have a new grandbaby in the family. So, we're passing up the Boardwalk Light show this year.
I've been in this area since August of 1964 for military at first, then settled here after I retired.

Best way to avoid the ocean wind is....sitting beside the fireplace. Tomorrow everything will be just as unpredictable...give it a few minutes?:laugh:

red states rule
12-11-2013, 04:09 PM
More snow on the way this weekend. Snow, and ice - possible Nor'easter where the snow could be measured by the foot

Arbo
12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
I thought you guys said it was cold out east. Came out to NC for work today, man is it warm!

jimnyc
12-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I thought you guys said it was cold out east. Came out to NC for work today, man is it warm!

What's the temps? It's been in the low 20's here overnight lately and low 30's during the day. We got about 6 inches or so of snow last night that I had to shovel. Effing snow. Had enough of it in my life now and can do without. Unless of course I'm an old bastard and can only look out my window, then I like the stuff!

Arbo
12-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Got to RDU about 7pm, it was about 46. T shirt weather. Was laughing at everyone bundled up and complaining it was cold.

jimnyc
12-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Got to RDU about 7pm, it was about 46. T shirt weather. Was laughing at everyone bundled up and complaining it was cold.

For me that's cold, but still only sweatshirt weather. Not really worthy of complaining about though until it starts hitting the teens, or if I have to shovel &^$%# snow.

Abbey Marie
12-15-2013, 08:58 PM
I wonder how Tailfins is doing. My BIL in NH got a foot of snow.

Kathianne
12-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Looks like we'll warm up slowly during this week, then turn cold again. Right now the outside thermometer says, 9F:

Monday
HIGH/LOW
22°/17°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_cloudy_chance_of_snow.jpg
Clipper system passing across the upper Great lakes brings slight moderation in temps.
Temps in the single digits and teens at sunrise moderate to late-day highs in the low and mid 20s. Light winds become S to SW at 10 to 20 mph. Clouds thicken by midday. Snow or flurries develop, mainly city and points north. About an inch possible. More clouds, light snow or flurries late at night. Low temps hold in the upper teens. Winds shift west toward morning as a cold front approaches.

Tuesday
HIGH/LOW
26°/13°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_cloudy_chance_of_snow.jpg
Blustery NW winds develop behind an early morning cold front.
Light snow or flurries may amount to a dusting in some areas. Temps in the mid 20s slowly fall in the afternoon.

Wednesday
HIGH/LOW
34°/31°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/partly_cloudy.jpg
Light winds and sunshine early.
Increasing clouds during the afternoon. S winds increase to 20 to 30 mph, bringing a surge in temps. Highs reach the low or mid 30s. Temps rise overnight.

Thursday
HIGH/LOW
42°/32°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/rain.jpg
Low clouds and drizzle build to occasional rain as moisture arrives on south winds.
Fog develops over melting snow pack. Temps the low 40s, then drop to near freezing overnight.

Friday
HIGH/LOW
32°/16°

Blustery and colder with flurries.
Temps near freezing at daybreak fall through the day. NW winds 15 to 25 mph. Clearing with diminishing winds at night. Lows dip to the mid teens.

Saturday
HIGH/LOW
31°/18°

Sunshine fades during the day.
Seasonably cold air is reinforced overnight as S winds turn NW at 10 to 15 mph. Flurries possible, but accumulating snow passes well north of the area.

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
25°/12°

Partly cloudy and colder.
NW winds of 15 to 25 mph produce single-digit wind chills, and send lake effect snow into NW Indiana. Winds diminish by evening. Low temps dip to the teens.

stevecanuck
12-16-2013, 02:25 AM
My husband's oldest sister lives in Minneapolis. She is one of those odd people who embraces cold weather. It was below zero this morning, which she told her mom was "a bit chilly."

Kathianne, you should come to Australia with us. We plan to be on the beach on Christmas Day, enjoying the expected high-eighties temperatures and watching Santa come in on a surfboard. :cool:

We're already in Australia. Spending the rest of the winter just north of Sydney in Avalon Beach. Where are you going to be?

Kathianne
12-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Why, oh why am I living here?

Tom Skilling's 7-Day forecast http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-12/323978020-21091338.jpg (http://www.rohrman.com/index.htm) <style type="text/css" media="all"> #DayCell { width: 120px; float:left; } #IconCell { width: 140px; float: left; } #ForecastCell { min-width: 140px; max-width: 330px; margin-right: 10px; float:left; } .dayofweek { font-size: 14px; font-weight: 800; color: #0b83bf; padding-top:0px; line-height: 22px; text-align: left; } .highlowlabel { font-weight: 100; color: #AAA; text-align: left; } .highlowtemps { text-align: left; } .hightext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 800; } .lowtext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 100; } .forecasttextbold { font-size: 12px; font-weight: 800; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 6px; border-bottom: dotted 1px #CCC; text-align: left; } .forecasttext { padding-top: 6px; font-size: 12px; text-align: left; } .divider { border-bottom: solid 1px #0b83bf; margin-bottom: 10px; clear: both; } </style>
Monday
HIGH/LOW
10°/5°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_cloudy.jpg
Coldest daytime readings in nearly three years since a high of 8 degrees on January 21, 2011.
Morning sun dims as clouds increase through the afternoon. After a frigid start afternoon temperatures struggle to reach double-digits with southwest winds 10-15 mph. Cloudy at night with some light snow during the evening ending around midnight. Accumulations generally an inch or less. Overnight lows range fall to around 5 degrees.

Tuesday
HIGH/LOW
15°/12°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_cloudy_snow.jpg
Mostly cloudy and cold New Years Eve.
West winds 10 to 20 mph. Snow develops late and continues overnight with a couple of inches of accumulation possible. Highs moderate to the teens with little fall at night.

Wednesday
HIGH/LOW
22°/16°

Highs reach the lower 20s.
A snowy start to 2014 a snow continues through the day with significant accumulations possible. East to northeast winds 12-22 mph.

Thursday
HIGH/LOW
16°/-5°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/mostly_cloudy_snow.jpg
Snow diminishes to flurries by afternoon as clouds break and thin.
Increasing N/NW winds 15-25 mph and gusty. Temps fall through the day dropping well below zero at night. Wind chills as low as 20 below by evening.

Friday
HIGH/LOW
14°/-2°

Very cold despite mostly sun skies.
Highs struggle to 10 to 15. Fair and frigid again overnight with lows with subzero lows again most areas.

Saturday
HIGH/LOW
30°/19°

Sunny start to the day.
A sunny start to the day with increasing mid and high level clouds in the afternoon. Brisk southwest winds 15-25 mph and gusty boost temperatures to 30 degrees.

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
28°/18°

Cloudy and cold.
Cloudy and seasonably cold with some snow developing. Increasing northeast-north winds 12-22 mph.

gabosaurus
12-30-2013, 01:03 AM
The day that we left Melbourne, it was 68 degrees. This afternoon, back in Huntington Beach, it was 63. Such is the life we lead...

Kathianne
12-30-2013, 01:06 AM
The day that we left Melbourne, it was 68 degrees. This afternoon, back in Huntington Beach, it was 63. Such is the life we lead...

Unless I've been missing something, you are living quite close to your folks and where you were raised. No? So are many of us, just not CA folks here.

What you are missing? I've no doubt you wouldn't understand.

gabosaurus
12-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I am missing nothing that I don't want to miss. I have zero desire to experience snow and freezing weather. Which is why I will never leave Southern California.
My husband's oldest sister left for Minneapolis more than 20 years ago and has no desire to return. She likes winter to be winter and summer to be summer.
I know and understand why people choose to live in the North. Because they are strange. :poke:

Kathianne
01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Snow should be tapering off tomorrow, then:

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-12/323978020-21091338.jpg (http://www.rohrman.com/index.htm) <style type="text/css" media="all"> #DayCell { width: 120px; float:left; } #IconCell { width: 140px; float: left; } #ForecastCell { min-width: 140px; max-width: 330px; margin-right: 10px; float:left; } .dayofweek { font-size: 14px; font-weight: 800; color: #0b83bf; padding-top:0px; line-height: 22px; text-align: left; } .highlowlabel { font-weight: 100; color: #AAA; text-align: left; } .highlowtemps { text-align: left; } .hightext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 800; } .lowtext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 100; } .forecasttextbold { font-size: 12px; font-weight: 800; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 6px; border-bottom: dotted 1px #CCC; text-align: left; } .forecasttext { padding-top: 6px; font-size: 12px; text-align: left; } .divider { border-bottom: solid 1px #0b83bf; margin-bottom: 10px; clear: both; } </style>
Wednesday
HIGH/LOW
22°/17°

Additional snow accumulations on the way into Thursday pushing the holiday ever-closer to becoming Chicago’s snowiest New Year’s Eve/New Year’s day period in over 3 decades--34 years.
Lake effect snow showers as Wednesday morning opens. Wider coverage snow returns mid and late-Wednesday morning through the afternoon. Strengthening east to northeast winds 11 to 22 mph. Area storm totals by nightfall 4 to 8 inches with the snow continuing to fall. Snowy periods, particularly in counties adjoining Lake Michigan Thursday night, blustery and chilly. Snowfalls may end up heavy at times into Thursday possibly leading to local accumulations approaching one foot. Wednesday's northeast winds continue strong and gusty as the back more north to northwest at 12 to 24 mph at night.

Thursday
HIGH/LOW
18°/-2°

Vigorous snow showers remain a possibility near Lake Michigan where additional accumulations are a good bet.
Elsewhere, extensive cloudiness, windy and colder with occasional snow flurries. Cold, arctic air is to tighter its grip on the area's holiday area. Falling temperatures during the day are to be accompanied by sub-zero wind chills. Temperatures drop below zero overnight. Northeast winds shift to the northwest and diminish.

Friday
HIGH/LOW
16°/11°

Partly sunny and cold.
High temperatures recover into the middle to upper teens after starting out well below zero. Clouds and a chance of light snow – especially north – overnight. Light winds become southwesterly and begin strengthening.

Saturday
HIGH/LOW
28°/12°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/flurries.jpg
Increasing cloudiness, gusty winds out of the southwest and milder--high temperatures around 30-degrees.
High temperatures surge to within striking distance of 30-degrees. A chance of snow later in the afternoon and at night. Winds shift to the northwest and turning colder again overnight.

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
19°/-4°

http://tv.trb.com/includes/tvdata/wgntv/weather/icons/flurries.jpg
Arctic air’s on the move into the Midwest again lowering temps.
Partly cloudy and cold with gusty northwest winds and a chance of snow flurries. Highest temperatures in the lower to middle 20s during the forenoon – then falling in the afternoon. The arctic chill becomes brutal Sunday night with temperatures dropping well below zero! Sunday night.

Monday
HIGH/LOW
0°/-16°

The brutal, near record or record-level chill in part of the coldest invasion of arctic air in this area in 5 years.
The temps predicted going into the new week are to include a rare 0-degree or lower high temperature Monday. On only 59 occasions over the past 143 years has a Chicago daytime high remained at or below 0-degrees. The day’s partly cloudy skies may produce lake-effect snow showers over northwest Indiana. Brutally cold wind chills are expected in the 15 to 20-below range. Clear, brutally cold Monday night with lows -10 to -15. Stinging northwest winds are expected.

Tuesday
HIGH/LOW
-4°/-15°

The brutal arctic chill continues with near record or record levels.
Mostly clear and cold overnight. Northwest winds diminish somewhat – becoming west to southwest at night

tailfins
01-01-2014, 11:30 PM
I wonder how Tailfins is doing. My BIL in NH got a foot of snow.

I just now saw this post. What a difference 100 miles makes. The lower elevation, being further to the South and close to the ocean makes for MUCH milder weather in RI than in NH. I threw them a high hourly rate to work in RI and they took it, so here I am.

I am missing nothing that I don't want to miss. I have zero desire to experience snow and freezing weather. Which is why I will never leave Southern California.
My husband's oldest sister left for Minneapolis more than 20 years ago and has no desire to return. She likes winter to be winter and summer to be summer.
I know and understand why people choose to live in the North. Because they are strange. http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/smilies/poke.gif

Because someone offered them a boatload of money to do so. With all the government sponsored annoyances, I'm not sure even double pay would lure me to California. I can only think of three places in the US I wouldn't live in even for an absurd figure like $200 per hour: NY, CA, HI. I suspect you don't notice the annoyances because your husband shields you from them.

Just to give an idea: NH will get twice as much snow and be much colder for the snow storm on the way.

Milford, NH pasted first, see Pawtucket, RI below that

Tonight Jan 1

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/16.png 24°F Observed High 1:05 pm
9°F
Snow

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>90%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> NNE at 8 mph </dd></dl> <dl class="twc-line-snow-box"><dt>Snowfall</dt><dd> 1-2 in </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/today/03055)

Thu Jan 2

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/16.png 12°

Snow

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> NNE at 14 mph </dd></dl> <dl class="twc-line-snow-box"><dt>Snowfall</dt><dd> 4-6 in </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/tomorrow/03055)

Fri Jan 3

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/16.png 11°
-10°
AM Snow

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>70%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> NNW at 17 mph </dd></dl> <dl class="twc-line-snow-box"><dt>Snowfall</dt><dd> 1-3 in </dd></dl> Details

(http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail2/03055)
Pawtucket, RI Tonight Jan 1

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/14.png 30°F Observed High 2:25 pm
20°F
Light Snow

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> N at 12 mph </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USRI0047)

Thu Jan 2

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/16.png 28°
11°
Snow

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> NE at 20 mph </dd></dl> <dl class="twc-line-snow-box"><dt>Snowfall</dt><dd> 1-3 in </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/tomorrow/USRI0047)

Fri Jan 3

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/16.png 14°
-3°
Snow / Wind

<dl><dt>Chance of snow:</dt><dd>100%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> NNW at 22 mph </dd></dl> <dl class="twc-line-snow-box"><dt>Snowfall</dt><dd> 1-3 in </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail2/USRI0047)

Sat Jan 4

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/34.png 26°
24°
Mostly Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of precip:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> WSW at 9 mph </dd></dl> Details (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail3/USRI0047)

Sun Jan 5

http://s.imwx.com/v.20131006.215409/img/wxicon/100/26.png 41°
37°
Cloudy

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>10%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> SSW at 9 mph
</dd></dl>

Abbey Marie
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Partly a weather story: My husband bought me tickets to see Jersey Boys for my birthday last month. The show is tonight, and I was pretty excited. First, we get the forecast: 4-8 inches of snow, so we booked a hotel room in the city. Then we get home to pack and get ready, and our den and laundry room are flooded. From the smell, it appears that the pipe from our home to the sewer line backed up.
And on top of that, we had two family portraits from the mid-1800s on the floor in the den, that are now a bit wet.

So, no play, no hotel, and a smelly expensive plumbing mess. :( :crying2:

Kathianne
01-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Partly a weather story: My husband bought me tickets to see Jersey Boys for my birthday last month. The show is tonight, and I was pretty excited. First, we get the forecast: 4-8 inches of snow, so we booked a hotel room in the city. Then we get home to pack and get ready, and our den and laundry room are flooded. From the smell, it appears that the pipe from our home to the sewer line backed up.
And on top of that, we had two family portraits from the mid-1800s on the floor in the den, and are now a bit wet.

Oh that sucks! I saw Jersey Boys a few years ago, it was great. I hope you get a rain check. :(

gabosaurus
01-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I talked to my sister-in-law in Minneapolis earlier today. They are expecting minus-20 temperatures this weekend. Could be made worse by wind chill and ice buildup. Which means my brother-in-law, who is a supervisor in roads and bridges, will be stranded in his office working 12-16 hour shifts. He has to go out and make sure nothing is compromised by ice and cold. I have a picture of him from a few years ago. He looks like an arctic explorer in heavy coats and wind goggles.

aboutime
01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Partly a weather story: My husband bought me tickets to see Jersey Boys for my birthday last month. The show is tonight, and I was pretty excited. First, we get the forecast: 4-8 inches of snow, so we booked a hotel room in the city. Then we get home to pack a get ready, and our den and laundry room are flooded. From the smell, it appears that the pipe from our home to the sewer line backed up.
And on top of that, we had two family portraits from the mid-1800s on the floor in the den, and are now a bit wet.

Sorry to hear that Abbey. Call your Insurance company if you haven't already. Get out of there. Your health must come first. Go to a hotel, or relative. Sewerage isn't anything humans need to be near at all.
Hard way to start a new year. Good Luck. God Bless.

Kathianne
01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Abbey. Call your Insurance company if you haven't already. Get out of there. Your health must come first. Go to a hotel, or relative. Sewerage isn't anything humans need to be near at all.
Hard way to start a new year. Good Luck. God Bless.

Good advice, most basic homeowner's policies include sewer back-up. They don't include 'flooding' of basement, without a rider.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Partly a weather story: My husband bought me tickets to see Jersey Boys for my birthday last month. The show is tonight, and I was pretty excited. First, we get the forecast: 4-8 inches of snow, so we booked a hotel room in the city. Then we get home to pack a get ready, and our den and laundry room are flooded. From the smell, it appears that the pipe from our home to the sewer line backed up.

So, no play, no hotel, and a smelly expensive plumbing mess. :( :crying2: That stinks!!! Sorry to hear about such bad luck Abbey. I sure hope your insurance covers it. Plumbers aren't cheap. Most make the equivalent to doctor wages it seems. -Tyr

Kathianne
01-03-2014, 05:58 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/areaweather?cityId=60666&startOrd=0

The first 'feels like' are day time wind chills, 2nd are night time wind chills. Monday is going to be a killer. I'm hoping that by Sat. 1/11 the temps are at least in the 20's. I'm moving. Pray!

7-day Forecast for Chicago

Daytime
Nighttime

<tbody>
01/03
Fri
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_31.gif
18°
Bitterly cold with times of clouds and sun; extreme cold can be dangerous for outdoor activities in the morning

Feels Like: -4°
Winds: 14mph SSW

16°

Feels like: -7°
Winds: 21mph SSW

<!-- empty spacer row -->

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/04
Sat
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_22.gif
29°
Breezy and not as cold with some sunshine giving way to clouds; a little afternoon snow
Feels Like: 14°
Winds: 16mph WSW
10°

Feels like: -17°
Winds: 17mph NNW

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/05
Sun
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_22.gif
10°
Windy and colder with a little snow at times
Feels Like: -11°
Winds: 18mph NNW
-18°

Feels like: -53°
Winds: 19mph WNW

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/06
Mon
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_6.gif
-6°
Mostly cloudy, windy and frigid; extreme cold can be dangerous for outdoor activities

Feels Like: -34°
Winds: 18mph W

-14°
Feels like: -42°
Winds: 18mph W

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/07
Tue
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_3.gif
-1°
Partly sunny, breezy and very cold
Feels Like: -21°
Winds: 16mph W
-5°
Feels like: -22°
Winds: 10mph SW

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/08
Wed
http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_31.gif
19°
Considerable cloudiness and frigid with a chance for a bit of snow or flurries
Feels Like: 2°
Winds: 11mph S
16°
Feels like: -1°
Winds: 14mph SW

</tbody>

<tbody>
01/09
Thu

http://a.abclocal.go.com/static/art/weather/white/icon_weather_small_19.gif
32°
A couple of morning flurries; otherwise, cloudy and not as cold
Feels Like: 22°
Winds: 11mph W
16°
Feels like: 5°
Winds: 9mph WSW

</tbody>

gabosaurus
01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
The Governor of Minnesota has cancelled school statewide on Monday. Kids are overjoyed. My sister-in-law is not. :laugh2:

01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I hate the cold too

Kathianne
01-04-2014, 06:48 AM
uptick in bad news:

Tom Skilling's 7-Day forecast http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-12/323978020-21091338.jpg (http://www.rohrman.com/index.htm)

<style type="text/css" media="all"> #DayCell { width: 120px; float:left; } #IconCell { width: 140px; float: left; } #ForecastCell { min-width: 140px; max-width: 330px; margin-right: 10px; float:left; } .dayofweek { font-size: 14px; font-weight: 800; color: #0b83bf; padding-top:0px; line-height: 22px; text-align: left; } .highlowlabel { font-weight: 100; color: #AAA; text-align: left; } .highlowtemps { text-align: left; } .hightext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 800; } .lowtext { font-size: 30px; font-weight: 100; } .forecasttextbold { font-size: 12px; font-weight: 800; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 6px; border-bottom: dotted 1px #CCC; text-align: left; } .forecasttext { padding-top: 6px; font-size: 12px; text-align: left; } .divider { border-bottom: solid 1px #0b83bf; margin-bottom: 10px; clear: both; } </style>
Saturday
HIGH/LOW
31°/13°

Blowing and drifting of snow continues into Saturday morning in open areas.
The situation has closed roads and stranded motorists in their cars during the night in open areas surrounding the city. Extreme caution is advised as road conditions in open areas may be challenging and may change dramatically over short stretches. Southwest winds 12 to 24 mph as the day opens ease Saturday afternoon to 4 to 9 mph. Clouds lower and thicken. Light snow develops Saturday afternoon. Milder, more seasonable temps than in many recent days. Snow increases Saturday night. 3 to 5" accumulations likely by morning -- with additional accumulations Sunday. Winds shift northerly increasing 8 to 18 mph.

Sunday
HIGH/LOW
13°/-19°

Accumulating snow, gusty winds out of the north-northeast and much colder. Accumulating snow, gusty winds out of the north-northeast and much colder. Accumulating snow, gusty winds out of the north-northeast and much colder.
New snowfall from near a foot far south to far north. Accumulations over city could range from 3 to 5 inches north to 6 to 8 inches south sections.

Monday
HIGH/LOW
-10°/-18°

Dangerous, record-breaking cold.
Wind chills 30-below zero. Variable cloudiness with a chance of snow flurries/snow showers NW Indiana. Extremely cold overnight; -40-degree wind chills possible.

fj1200
01-04-2014, 07:41 AM
A high of 10 below, that's just crazy.

Kathianne
01-04-2014, 08:20 AM
A high of 10 below, that's just crazy.

winds at 19, gusting near 30. Those sub-zeros get worse quick.

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
That's nuts! I read another article that said that the 49'ers vs Green Bay game 'could' break a record of -59 including the wind chill!!

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Unless you are where I am... I donna-wanna hear it! :boohoo:

Kathianne
01-05-2014, 01:28 AM
The weather reports last night, (Friday night), said 8-12". This morning they were saying 3-6". I was so glad. One lone guy on weather channel, said, "I don't think so, Chicago is going to get socked. This storm if moving north of what the models are saying..."

The snow started before I left the house, 2:30pm. The reports were saying wouldn't start until 'late tonight.' Sigh. Got off work at 10:30, already 4". Snowing more heavily now and getting conflicting reports of 'stopping Sunday night,' to 'stopping Tuesday morning.' In any case, looks like we're in for a foot-18" and by late afternoon tomorrow, way below sub-zero temps until Wed. afternoon. Sigh.

For me though, the good news is that by Fri/Sat we'll be in 30's. Even with rain, that should make the move bearable.

Kathianne
01-06-2014, 12:38 AM

Still...

A 'thanks' brought me back to this post. Just got home about 40 minutes ago, temp here then was -4. It's now -8. Brrrr. I hate the cold!

Tomorrow is going to smash records, luckily I do not have to go out!

I'm dreading February!