PDA

View Full Version : People Say They Like Creativity, but They Really Don’t

tailfins
12-06-2013, 09:14 PM
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/creativity_is_rejected_teachers_and_bosses_don_t_v alue_out_of_the_box_thinking.html
(http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/creativity_is_rejected_teachers_and_bosses_don_t_v alue_out_of_the_box_thinking.html)

To live creatively is a choice. You must make a commitment to your own mind and the possibility that you will not be accepted. You have to let go of satisfying people, often even yourself.

revelarts
12-07-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/creativity_is_rejected_teachers_and_bosses_don_t_v alue_out_of_the_box_thinking.html
(http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/creativity_is_rejected_teachers_and_bosses_don_t_v alue_out_of_the_box_thinking.html)

this is outstanding article. and applies to creativity across the board.
"people don't do it that way" is almost a mental euphemism for "it can't/won't work & i don't like it"
and if an idea or persons actions don't fit an established pigeon hole, people will often still find a one to stuff it in. or try to reject it outright as not a viable or 'realistic' idea/way of being.

I've worked with graphic designers a photographers and seen their creative work , sometimes things as simple as turning a conventional ad sidewise in a magazine, frowned apon and rejected because "it's not normal... but we want you to be creative". It's a frustrating position to put people in.

"Staw says a successful creative person is someone 'who can survive conformity pressures and be impervious to social pressure.'”

Also helps if you can get a bit of authority or backing from authority. the decision makers.
If your ideas are shot dead and never funded or applied they'll never see the light of day.
If Steve Jobs worked at microsoft or IBM we'd probably have never have heard of him and wouldn't have certain product categories. Some companies have had to create systems to foster creativity since the norm is to NOT take creative risk.

tailfins
12-07-2013, 11:01 AM
this is outstanding article. and applies to creativity across the board.
"people don't do it that way" is almost a mental euphemism for "it can't/won't work & i don't like it"
and if an idea or persons actions don't fit an established pigeon hole, people will often still find a one to stuff it in. or try to reject it outright as not a viable or 'realistic' idea/way of being.

I've worked with graphic designers a photographers and seen their creative work , sometimes things as simple as turning a conventional ad sidewise in a magazine, frowned apon and rejected because "it's not normal... but we want you to be creative". It's a frustrating position to put people in.

"Staw says a successful creative person is someone 'who can survive conformity pressures and be impervious to social pressure.'”

Also helps if you can get a bit of authority or backing from authority. the decision makers.
If your ideas are shot dead and never funded or applied they'll never see the light of day.
If Steve Jobs worked at microsoft or IBM we'd probably have never have heard of him and wouldn't have certain product categories. Some companies have had to create systems to foster creativity since the norm is to NOT take creative risk.

I'm not an artistic person. My creativity could be compared to a watchmaker. When I strive to make my work bug-proof, it gets called "overkill". I also work to minimize lines of code and in the past got scolded for writing code that forces the team to learn new approaches.

It REALLY irritates me when what is currently being used DOESN'T work and am told my approach is outside the scope of the team's mission.

If your ideas are shot down, especially when it's accepting something that's broken over something that isn't, one must have the guts to walk away from the company.

revelarts
12-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm not an artistic person. My creativity could be compared to a watchmaker. When I strive to make my work bug-proof, it gets called "overkill". I also work to minimize lines of code and in the past got scolded for writing code that forces the team to learn new approaches.

It REALLY irritates me when what is currently being used DOESN'T work and am told my approach is outside the scope of the team's mission.

If your ideas are shot down, especially when it's accepting something that's broken over something that isn't, one must have the guts to walk away from the company.

"outside of the scope of the teams mission" ha. seems there no shortage of creative euphemisms for killing creativity.
'forces the team to learn new approaches', That'd be bad?

Making things like code simpler is creative work, making things work without glitch is creative work.
Seems we are wired to solve problems but there's another part of us that's want to be lazy and solve them the same ol way.

tailfins
12-07-2013, 12:16 PM
"outside of the scope of the teams mission" ha. seems there no shortage of creative euphemisms for killing creativity.
'forces the team to learn new approaches', That'd be bad?

Making things like code simpler is creative work, making things work without glitch is creative work.
Seems we are wired to solve problems but there's another part of us that's want to be lazy and solve them the same ol way.

I am currently on a good team and brought up the differences between artistic people and functional people on a project. One interesting thing I heard a team member say was as long as the artistic person can deliver a XAML file (that's XAML with FOUR letters, NOT XML), it doesn't matter how it was produced even with a MAC. XAML is associated with Silverlight.

Does this seem useful to you?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26623/silverlight

revelarts
12-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I am currently on a good team and brought up the differences between artistic people and functional people on a project. One interesting thing I heard a team member say was as long as the artistic person can deliver a XAML file (that's XAML with FOUR letters, NOT XML), it doesn't matter how it was produced even with a MAC. XAML is associated with Silverlight.

Does this seem useful to you?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26623/silverlight

Yep,
I use silverlight. It's a must for netflixs.