PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of French troops drive back Mali rebels

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-06-2013, 11:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-french-troops-drive-back-mali-rebels-110344652.html;_ylt=AvZ_h5jRAkc2NaL.IVFQXdtvaA8F;_ ylu=X3oDMTNydXV1cW43BG1pdANUb3​BTdG9yeSBXb3JsZFNGB HBrZwM0OTY2ODFlYy02MzVjLTMxMmYtYWM2OC04NDFjNzVlYTc 3YjYEcG9zAz​EwBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzY2ZjVkM2Mz LTVjZWMtMTFlMi1iYmZlLTE4OTFhYzI3OWZhNg--;_ylg=X3oDMTFqOTI2ZDZmBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZARwdA​NzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3 BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — The battle to retake Mali's north from the al-Qaida-linked groups controlling it began in earnest Saturday, after hundreds of French forces deployed to the country and began aerial bombardments to drive back the Islamic extremists.

At the same time, nations in West Africa authorized the immediate deployment of troops to Mali, fast-forwarding a military intervention that was not due to start until September.

The decision to begin the military operation was taken after the fighters, who seized the northern half of Mali nine months ago, decided earlier this week to push even further south to the town of Konna, coming within 50 kilometers (30 miles) of Mopti, the first town held by the government and a major base for the Malian military.

Many believe that if Mopti were to fall, the Islamists could potentially seize the rest of the country, dramatically raising the stakes. The potential outcome was "a terrorist state at the doorstep of France and Europe," French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Saturday.

France scrambled Mirage fighter jets from a base in neighboring Chad, as well as combat helicopters beginning the aerial assault on Friday. They have also sent in hundreds of troops to the front line, as well as to secure the capital. In just 24 hours, French forces succeeded in dispersing the Islamists from Konna, the town the fighters had seized in a bold advance earlier in the week, Le Drian said.

Malian military officials said they were now conducting sweeps, looking for snipers.

"A halting blow has been delivered, and heavy losses have been inflicted on our adversaries, but our mission is not complete," French President Francois Hollande said after a three-hour meeting with his defense chiefs in Paris. "I reiterate that it consists of preparing the deployment of an African intervention force to allow Mali to recover its territorial integrity." Who knew the French had the balls??

Gaffer
12-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Who knew the French had the balls??

It was mostly likely the Foreign Legion that did the fighting. They're not French.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM
It was mostly likely the Foreign Legion that did the fighting. They're not French. I believe you are right and that would explain it. I do however give the French credit for handling their "immigrant problem" more decisively(taking more solid and aggressive actions) than have the Brits. That truly shocked me but is a fact. -Tyr

Gaffer
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I believe you are right and that would explain it. I do however give the French credit for handling their "immigrant problem" more decisively(taking more solid and aggressive actions) than have the Brits. That truly shocked me but is a fact. -Tyr

Yeah standing up to the muzzies is surprising. Getting things cleaned up in Paris would be a breeze if they were aloud to bring in the Foreign Legion. But there is some kind of law that says the Legion can't be used in country. The Mali muzzies didn't last long against the Legion.