PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

jimnyc
12-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Jim - Free and Healing for Three Years, Two Months, Twenty Days, 2 Hours and 24 Minutes,
while extending my life expectancy 204 Days and 8 Hours,
by avoiding the use of 58855 nicotine delivery devices
that would have cost me $30,898.07.

This is the counter that has been running on my desktop since the day I quit smoking. I don't post this to brag, but to point out several things.

It's been over 3 years since my last smoke and I STILL have cravings here and there. I still have impulses at times to go and reach for a cigarette. The habit was so deep, I suppose, that it takes a very long time to fully get rid of it. I remember reading an article once where they said it may take up to 15 years to fully become an "ex smoker".

Almost 60,000 cigarettes! And that's just in 3 years. I must have smoked a million before I quit!

And look, I saved over $30,000 dollars - and haven't saved a damn dime since I quit! In fact, quitting made me seek out other addictions is all - and now it's water, sandwiches, all kinds of fruits, cereal....

Kathianne
12-07-2013, 11:49 AM
This is the counter that has been running on my desktop since the day I quit smoking. I don't post this to brag, but to point out several things.

It's been over 3 years since my last smoke and I STILL have cravings here and there. I still have impulses at times to go and reach for a cigarette. The habit was so deep, I suppose, that it takes a very long time to fully get rid of it. I remember reading an article once where they said it may take up to 15 years to fully become an "ex smoker".

Almost 60,000 cigarettes! And that's just in 3 years. I must have smoked a million before I quit!

And look, I saved over $30,000 dollars - and haven't saved a damn dime since I quit! In fact, quitting made me seek out other addictions is all - and now it's water, sandwiches, all kinds of fruits, cereal....

:thumb:

Hey, at least you're not dehydrated! ;)

Abbey Marie
12-08-2013, 01:10 PM
You should be proud!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k_6A8v520-Y/US13-igYBZI/AAAAAAAAFvw/o2mrB77OS9k/s640/bragging.jpg

aboutime
12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
The hardest thing I ever HAD to do was quit smoking. Four years in June was the LAST smoke I had, just before my last heart attack.
I had become a really good QUITTER while in the Navy. I tried to quit almost every day...BEFORE payday for many years.

It took a warning from the doctor who sliced open my chest, and who performed the Quadruple Bypass to convince me. If I wanted to stay around to grow older with our grand kids. Smoking should be the LAST thing I do.

On Friday. Our SIXTH grandchild..."A BOY" arrived. He will NEVER smell, STINKY, Old me.

jimnyc
12-08-2013, 05:34 PM
The hardest thing I ever HAD to do was quit smoking. Four years in June was the LAST smoke I had, just before my last heart attack.
I had become a really good QUITTER while in the Navy. I tried to quit almost every day...BEFORE payday for many years.

It took a warning from the doctor who sliced open my chest, and who performed the Quadruple Bypass to convince me. If I wanted to stay around to grow older with our grand kids. Smoking should be the LAST thing I do.

On Friday. Our SIXTH grandchild..."A BOY" arrived. He will NEVER smell, STINKY, Old me.

Congrats on the grandchild!! :salute:

aboutime
12-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the grandchild!! :salute:

Thanks Jim. Now, 5 boys, and 1 Honest to goodness princess. The new little guy was born at 7:11 p.m Friday, and weighed....HONESTLY....Seven pounds, 11 ounces.
Just hope he never has to work at ONE when he gets older.:eek:

He's our family, early Christmas present. Everyone is Healthy.

glockmail
12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I work with folks in their 20's and 30's who smoke and don't eat right, and at 54 I'm in better shape than most all of them. When the subject is broached I tell it to them straight. Look at the obituaries every day for a week and you'll notice that there are two "waves" of folks dying. There's a lot in their 60's and then another wave in their 80's. The difference is that the old folks took care of themselves, ate right, exercised and didn't smoke.

The 60's crowd may see their grand kids born. The 80's crowd will see them get married. 20 years is a huge difference in the amount of experiences that you get to have on this earth.

gabosaurus
12-08-2013, 08:02 PM
I work with folks in their 20's and 30's who smoke and don't eat right, and at 54 I'm in better shape than most all of them. When the subject is broached I tell it to them straight. Look at the obituaries every day for a week and you'll notice that there are two "waves" of folks dying. There's a lot in their 60's and then another wave in their 80's. The difference is that the old folks took care of themselves, ate right, exercised and didn't smoke.

My dad is the same way. Moving up on 60 and still moving around. One of my best friends lives with her grandfather, who is 82. He is still very active. Outlived both of his brothers by more than 20 years. They both smoked.
My daughter was in a grocery store with my mom and they stopped to talk to someone. My daughter said "I can't stand ladies who smoke. They smell like poop."

glockmail
12-08-2013, 08:44 PM
My dad is the same way. Moving up on 60 and still moving around. One of my best friends lives with her grandfather, who is 82. He is still very active. Outlived both of his brothers by more than 20 years. They both smoked.

My mother's dad worked through his early 80's and lived to 94. His wife smoked and ate too much so died in her late 60's. Her sister is now 96. Their mother lived to be 100, as did their uncle. My mom ate too much so died in her 70's. Her brother, my uncle, abused his body with drugs and died at 70.

My dad doesn't eat right either and his obesity is adding stress to his legs, making it hard to walk. Otherwise he'd be in much better shape although still relatively healthy at 84; still working volunteer work at least two days per week. His mother, a smoker, never saw any of her grandchildren get married. His dad, another smoker, did see two of us get married, but was in terrible physical shape and died in his early 70's.

A guy that was another dad in my son's scout troop had a heart attack two years ago, pushing a lawnmower around his yard. Nice guy but ate his wife's food. She was always the fat gal pushing donuts and sweets on the kids during outings and after athletic events, and they were both huge.

My wife has a theory that the national trend towards increasing longevity will soon cease and then reverse itself. The reason is the increasing number of obese. Back when I was a kid it was unusual for folks to be fat. Look around now, the fattys outnumber the skinnies.

red states rule
12-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Congrats Jim. It has been about 3 years since I last smoked a cig. Almost 30 years smoking MORE and I will never light up again

I also gave up on the E cig as well about 7 months ago

So those of you who own RJ Reynolds stock I am the reason for your stock price decline :laugh2: