PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Overreach.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-07-2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.burtfolsom.com/ Presidential Overreach
by Anita on November 21, 2013

Posted by Anita Folsom

Is there a similarity between the Court-packing scheme of President Roosevelt in the 1930s and Obamacare today? Yes there is. In both cases, we see the fatal consequences of presidential overreach.

In 1937, FDR was angry that the Supreme Court had struck down two of his pet New Deal programs, the NRA and AAA. (The NRA tried to set prices nationwide for the costs of everything from pressing a pair of pants to repairing a watch to selling kosher chickens. With the AAA, Roosevelt tried to restructure the entire American farm program; for example, some farmers were told how much land they had to remove from production, the government targeted commodities prices, and the government paid farmers not to produce.)

By February, 1937, Roosevelt had a plan to deal with the pesky Supreme Court. He would “pack” the court with up to six new justices, making a total of fifteen. FDR then called six key Democrat leaders of Congress to the White House for a conference. When he explained his new plan to the congressmen, some listened in dismay and others were horrified. FDR presented his “reform” as a plea for judicial efficiency, but in reality he simply wanted to appoint six justices who would support his big government ideas and give him the votes on the Court that he needed to implement his New Deal.

As the six startled men, instructions in hand, left the White House, Rep. Hatton Sumners of Texas reportedly said, “Well, boys, here is where I cash in my chips.” Over the next few months, members of Congress agreed with Sumners, and Congress refused to back FDR’s court packing scheme.

Fast forward to today. In Mark Steyn’s recent column for National Review Online: “Thus Spake Obama: The Incompetency of Our Neo-Monarchy,” Steyn points out that President Obama shows such disregard for the U.S. Constitution that he often reacts more like a ruling monarch than an American president:

“On November 14th, [Obama] passed a new law at a press conference. George III never did that. But, having ordered America’s insurance companies to comply with Obamacare, the president announced that he is now ordering them not to comply with Obamacare. The legislative branch (as it’s still quaintly known) passed a law purporting to grandfather your existing health plan. The regulatory bureaucracy then interpreted the law so as to un-grandfather your health plan. So His Most Excellent Majesty has commanded that your health plan be de-un-grandfathered. That seems likely to work. The insurance industry had three years to prepare for the introduction of Obamacare. Now the King has given them six weeks to de-introduce Obamacare.

“I wonder if he has the legal authority to do this,” mused former Vermont governor Howard Dean. But [Dean is] obviously some kind of right-wing wacko. Later that day, anxious to help him out, Congress offered to “pass” a “law” allowing people to keep their health plans. The same president who had unilaterally commanded that people be allowed to keep their health plans indignantly threatened to veto any such law to that effect: It only counts if he does it — geddit? As his court eunuchs at the Associated Press obligingly put it: “Obama Will Allow Old Plans.” It’s Barry’s world; we just live in it.” Excellent article and so very revealing of what Obama is and now does simply because he realizes that the only way to stop him is to have a civil war!! That's what Americans haven't a clue about.. We are already conquered by the guy that the idiots amongst us chose to worship!! Obama knows Americans will choose to wait for his term to end rather than to fight a civil war. With that belief firmly in place he will now wreck this nation and its Constitution as far as possible! -Tyr

revelarts
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
In this cases I think this maybe just a case of him Lying to public again, I somehow think he knows what he said was BS legally. I could be wrong though. if he put's it in writing as an executive order or something we'll know he's just lost his mind.

FDR was a piece of work wasn't he. gezlousie. these presidents need some serious cold cocking from congress and the courts.