PDA

View Full Version : So who knows anything about batteries?

jimnyc
12-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I have 2 brand new rechargeable NiMH batteries and they came with a small charger. The charger isn't much larger than the 2 batteries themselves, and then the 2 prongs fold out so that you can plug it into an outlet. The batteries are supposed to be charged initially, and the light indicator is red showing that indeed they are low and need a charge. Thing is, they are VERY HOT in the charger, too hot to hold in your hand for longer than a few seconds. I read elsewhere that this was a sign of batteries going bad, or the batteries getting too much power too quickly. Either way, being brand new, I would hope both units are operating properly.

Is it normal for this type of battery to get so hot when charging? Should I be looking for a stronger/better recharger? I have another downstairs that does 4 batteries, but different style, and that one has a fan built in and I've never seen the heating issue.

aboutime
12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm This may help Jim

Gaffer
12-10-2013, 05:59 PM
It sounds like it doesn't have a resistor plug. Those big square plugs on most electric items. The batteries will normally get warm but they shouldn't get real hot. Be careful if your using it.

namvet
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
the one i have holds four AA's. it will charge em from dead in about 15 mins. but they do get pretty warm. the charger has a fan that runs to keep them from overheating. had it for years. the fan running is the key to long life

PostmodernProphet
12-17-2013, 08:14 AM
it definitely is NOT normal for a properly operating charger to get that hot......are they protected batteries?.....
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/battery%20protection%20UK.html

you can tell if the positive end shows a lip at the top of the cylinder.....

many cheap unprotected batteries are coming out of China....

I have a scorch mark on the desktop next to my computer that demonstrates the risk, fortunately I was sitting next to it when it went off like a roman candle.......I now charge all my batteries on a piece of slate floor tile.....