PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea on how to better the voting system

cadet
12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I have a question. And I would like your opinion.

We all know that the gov't was created by the people, of the people, and for the people. And the Gov't is supposed to spit shine our shoes.

So, here's a question about our voting system. Not just president, but all bills.
And bear with me.

Way back when, when the United states was but a wee little thing, there was a problem with how the heck we were going to get all those votes from the people and count them up. That'd be a bitch of a project to do, and probably take a few years to finally figure out who was president. So the idea came along to have representatives take the floor. Vote them in, and they vote for you. Much easier counting system. Easy, as, pie.

Well, that was all good and dandy back then, but with technology today, why the heck are we still treating it like all our votes go by horseback and hand written letters? There should be a MUCH better way to get everyone to have the same amount of vote as everyone else. With no extra votes for states with a small amount of people, and nobody get's screwed cause their county thinks the opposite of what they think, so their vote gets cast in with the rest of em.

Computers, are freaking powerful. I'm just throwing this out there, but why the heck don't we just set up a voting booth in all our county courthouses where you sign in with your SS number, name, and date of birth? There, you get one vote. And so does everyone else. No need for representatives to fudge your vote. Heck, you can throw that whole part of the gov't away! And all you have to do is vote on the things that you care about. Don't give a crap whether marijuana is legal or not? Don't vote on it! Really worried about gay marriage? Vote for it!
Thus, you can get the ACTUAL POPULATIONS VOTE on things that America deems important.
There's no need to worry about anything! And heck, you can use the same system for your counties/states laws/regulations. Everyone's vote counts the same, and you can see what America REALLY thinks about on every single issue.
You can even take all those representatives and give them new jobs. Going back to the places they represent (for some, for the first time in half a century) and put bills in lay-mans speak for the people that don't pay attention to politics.

And would you look at that, America becomes majority rule.
Want a new rule? Send it in to your county, have them vote on it. It wins? Send it up to state. If it's something you want implemented federally, send it up further if your state decides it's a good idea.

Now seriously, this may be the best, most freedom provoking thing ever.

And if you really want to make sure some hacker isn't making changes, just make it an option to post your name on a site that show's who voted for what. Ctrl-f, and search your name. If nobody hacked it, your name should be on the side where you voted. If they did, may heaven have mercy on whomsoever's sorry butt screwed the system up.

fj1200
12-11-2013, 04:57 PM
^We're a Republic, not a Democracy. And for good reason.

cadet
12-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Really hoping you're joking :laugh:

But seriously, wouldn't this help states become their own state? they'd have an easier time having more power than the feds if this was implemented.
Maybe not overnight, but over a few decades the states would become their own version of freedom in America.

Some places like their own things, and if you set it up so that they can make their own rules in their own area's, without forcing all of America to conform to something only one area wants, you'd have a much happier populace.
Imagine if you voted in your community, and that's what became the law there. Maybe not in the comunity next door, but you like it the way yours works.
Not only then do you have the option to move to where you'd feel has the best laws, but other states would eventually see that some things work better than others, and then you get a country that's as great as it can be under a human institution.

Arbo
12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah, as FJ said, we are a republic. And getting rid of the EC or any such thing is a big no-no. We do not want or need mob rule, no matter who is in power.

You want to make a law that makes it so news outlets can not report any poll results until ALL polls in the nation have closed, I'd be fine with that, as there is no doubt 'early results' are often misused in the hopes of getting some to say 'well no point in voting now'.

cadet
12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah, as FJ said, we are a republic. And getting rid of the EC or any such thing is a big no-no. We do not want or need mob rule, no matter who is in power.

You want to make a law that makes it so news outlets can not report any poll results until ALL polls in the nation have closed, I'd be fine with that, as there is no doubt 'early results' are often misused in the hopes of getting some to say 'well no point in voting now'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfGUSBSF4I

This is what your statement makes me think of.

fj1200
12-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Really hoping you're joking :laugh:

But seriously, wouldn't this help states become their own state? they'd have an easier time having more power than the feds if this was implemented.
Maybe not overnight, but over a few decades the states would become their own version of freedom in America.

Some places like their own things, and if you set it up so that they can make their own rules in their own area's, without forcing all of America to conform to something only one area wants, you'd have a much happier populace.
Imagine if you voted in your community, and that's what became the law there. Maybe not in the comunity next door, but you like it the way yours works.
Not only then do you have the option to move to where you'd feel has the best laws, but other states would eventually see that some things work better than others, and then you get a country that's as great as it can be under a human institution.

Nope, not joking. We've got some problems but scrapping the Republic is not a fix. Your proposal doesn't really address states or freedoms or most of what you mention; that we have the various states should accomplish what you desire via Federalism.

:confused:

aboutime
12-11-2013, 05:22 PM
You have too much time on your hands. Stick to studies, and building your career as a citizen.

You need to study in order to learn. Much of what you suggested here...probably has already been thought of, discussed, and forgotten.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Here is a better idea. 1. No male can vote until at least age 26 and 2. no female until age 30. 3. No voting if you are on welfare getting a cash check from the government. Those three things would solve 99% of the shit that is going on now. I proposed this on a forum many years ago. Got laughed at by the usual dumbasses that most likely were sucking the gubbermint tit like a starving kitten after 4 days with no mother cat. :laugh:--Tyr

Arbo
12-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Here is a better idea. 1. No male can vote until at least age 26 and 2. no female until age 30. 3. No voting if you are on welfare getting a cash check from the government. Those three things would solve 99% of the shit that is going on now. I proposed this on a forum many years ago. Got laughed at by the usual dumbasses that most likely were sucking the gubbermint tit like a starving kitten after 4 days with no mother cat. :laugh:--Tyr

Let us know when you get the Constitutional amendment for this together and working through the system. Until then all the suggestions are very much against the Constitution.

Kathianne
12-12-2013, 02:41 AM

Thank you! I found the OP so full of misunderstandings stated as facts, couldn't really get past that. I can only hope some will bother reading a few of the original founders writings. Perhaps beginning with the Federalist Papers.

Kathianne
12-12-2013, 02:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfGUSBSF4I

Only because you are undereducated in political philosophy.

aboutime
12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Only because you are undereducated in political philosophy.

Kathianne. Thank you for posting that. However. Based on how much failure OUR Educational system in America has been suffering, and intentionally being bastardized away from History, and Historical, Honest facts.
Too many aren't intelligent enough to even recognize how such things...as in the Video, are so easily accepted, and believed as fact. All because EDUCATION for too many has been a failure.

jimnyc
12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I have an idea on how to better the voting system

Me too, tell the whining Dems to EFF off and start requiring photo identification at the polls. :salute:

red states rule
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Me too, tell the whining Dems to EFF off and start requiring photo identification at the polls. :salute:

and stop the early voting crap

If yu can't get off your ass and get the polls - since many are open for about 13 hours on Election Day - then you do not get to vote