PDA

View Full Version : 75 Percent Say Celebrate Christmas in Public Schools

red states rule
12-12-2013, 03:46 AM
This is sure to PO those engaged on the annual War on Christmas

Despite the attempt by the Texas state legislature to ban (http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/07/texas-grade-school-bans-christmas-despite-new-state-law-explicitly-allowing-christmas/) the very word "Christmas" from an elementary school "winter party," it seems the vast majority of Americans are still in full support of celebrating the religious holiday in public schools.
A Rasmussen (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/holidays/december_2013/75_think_christmas_should_be_celebrated_in_public_ schools) report released Wednesday has the details:

"Despite school administrators’ concerns nationwide, Americans strongly believe that Christmas should be a part of public schools. They feel just as strongly that religious symbols should be allowed on public property.

Seventy-five percent (75%) of American Adults think Christmas should be celebrated in public schools, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% disagree, while 10% are not sure."
Stories, such as the recent case where Jesus was removed from the nativity scene at the South Carolina Air Force base (http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/12/10/air-force-kicks-baby-jesus-off-base-n1760639), should not be understood as the national perspective on the presence of Christ in the public holiday. Only ten percent of Americans polled did not support celebrating Christmas in the classroom. The so called, "War on Christmas" might not be as much of an uphill battle as many are being led to believe.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/sarahjeanseman/2013/12/11/poll-75-percent-say-christmas-should-be-celebrated-in-public-schools-n1761295

PostmodernProphet
12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
given that what they are probably considering is a celebration of the secular aspects of Christmas, I have no intention of hollering "whoopie!"......

Arbo
12-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't know why they would want to celebrate it in school. But if they want to recognize it as the religious holiday it is and what it means, I don't give a crap. But I also don't give a crap if they do the same for holidays of other religions either, though I'm sure that some that think christmas should be in schools would stand against other religions being discussed and recognized in schools.

red states rule
12-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Yes, in todays America we cannot permit children to put on a Christmas play. Sing Christmas carols. Wear festive clothes, Have a Christmas party. Bring in Christmas cookies and sweets to share with their classmates. Have the word "Christmas" on the school calendar or anywhere displayed on school property

Hell that would put fun into the holiday season

Cannot have any of that in your local liberal indoctrination center

Missileman
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
This is sure to PO those engaged on the annual War on Christmas

I'd much prefer they celebrate graduation with a strong foundation in the 3 "R"s.

Arbo
12-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes, in todays America we cannot permit children to put on a Christmas play. Sing Christmas carols. Wear festive clothes, Have a Christmas party. Bring in Christmas cookies and sweets to share with their classmates. Have the word "Christmas" on the school calendar or anywhere displayed on school property

Funny, all the choirs at my daughters middle school just had a concert, and they sang christmas music. After that the band played christmas music. I know they have christmas parties as the end of this quarter wraps up. Seems it's all fine here.

jimnyc
12-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Funny, all the choirs at my daughters middle school just had a concert, and they sang christmas music. After that the band played christmas music. I know they have christmas parties as the end of this quarter wraps up. Seems it's all fine here.

I suppose the majority are still like that, but I do often read stories about schools taking religion out of these concerts, and any references directly to Christianity. Frosty would be OK, as would Rudolph. But "Little Drummer Boy" and bringing gifts to the newborn king? Some schools are banning stuff like that. I don't think schools should sponsor Christianity or any other religion, but I also don't think they should go nuts to rewrite songs in order "not to offend" others.

Seriously, look around us in the past 10 years, what DOESN'T offend others? School always sucked to me growing up, but at least I was able to wear what I wanted (outside of profanity of course) and we could celebrate Christmas, or some could not celebrate. Sometimes we saw Menorah's and sometimes we saw Christmas trees. It's just a shame that we suddenly live in a world where everyone and anyone gets offended when the wind blows, and then others must change in order to cater to their sensibilities.

Arbo
12-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Seriously, look around us in the past 10 years, what DOESN'T offend others?

I often tell such people that don't have a right to not be offended. And on top of that, them thinking that things that 'offend' them need to be shut down or silenced goes against the idea of America as it violates the rights of others.

We can only correct the idiots one at a time, and must be vigilant as they reproduce rapidly.

red states rule
12-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Here is one example of many as the War on Christmas 2013 gets fired up

The Wausau, Wis. School District says it’s okay to jingle bells and don gay apparel but lay off the Baby Jesus stuff – and that has parents and students ready to deck somebody’s halls.

The community became enraged after the elementary schools canceled their upcoming Christmas concerts and the school district issued guidelines that curtailed the number of sacred holiday songs the high school choir could perform.

Phil Buch, the director of the Wausau West High School choir programs since 1981, told the Wausau Daily Herald that he was given three choices after meeting with school officials about the upcoming yuletide season.

He was told the choirs could perform one sacred song for every five secular songs performed; eliminate all Christmas music or postpone December concerts

He was also reportedly told that the district had to approve every musical selection. Instead, Buch announced that he was temporarily disbanding the school’s elite choir.

School Board member Pat McKee told me it’s nothing short of a war on Christmas.

“When you look at it on the surface, it’s hard to argue against that train of thought,” he said.

“People are justifiably making that correlation – that it’s a war on Christmas.”

McKee said he doesn’t blame parents, teachers and students for being upset.

“People should be angry,” he said. “People are very, very angry, very passionate and rightfully so.”

http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/10/08/starnes-wisconsin-school-cracks-down-religious-christmas-music