PDA

View Full Version : Humor and Empathy

Kathianne
12-12-2013, 04:13 AM
A privileged person writes a note, showing their humor and empathy:

GW is a privileged normal person, emphasis on 'normal' here:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/george-w-bush-alabama-kicker-note-iron-bowl/

...It’s been two-and-a-half weeks since the Iron Bowl, but Wednesday, Foster, who wears No. 43, Instagrammed a letter he received from another No. 43 — President George W. Bush. The letter says, “Dear Cade (#43), Life has its setbacks. I know! However you will be a stronger human with time. I wish you all the best – Sincerely – another 43 George Bush.” Foster then writes in the caption, “Framing this.”

jimnyc
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Just read this in the sports section of Yahoo. Good for him, and a Texas guy sending it to Alabama no less! Maybe the #43 in common got to him. But anyway, that was a classy thing to do. This kid was lead to believe by many that he cost his team the game - and it's just that - A GAME - and I'm hoping that getting a personalized note from GWB helped him in some way.

tailfins
12-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Empathy is just a string of seven characters. If you're in a burning building do you want someone outside who "empathizes" or someone inside to rescue you because they think people in burning buildings are supposed to be rescued?

Abbey Marie
12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Empathy is just a string of seven characters. If you're in a burning building do you want someone outside who "empathizes" or someone inside to rescue you because they think people in burning buildings are supposed to be rescued?

Are they mutually exclusive?

jimnyc
12-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Maybe in a life and death situation you want empathy left out and simply to be rescued, but this is a simple story about an ex-president taking the time to write a short note to a college football player who was recently considered a failure. What more could he have done than empathize? Take some sort of action? I understand what you're saying, sort of, but in this instance I believe GWB acted perfectly.

aboutime
12-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Maybe in a life and death situation you want empathy left out and simply to be rescued, but this is a simple story about an ex-president taking the time to write a short note to a college football player who was recently considered a failure. What more could he have done than empathize? Take some sort of action? I understand what you're saying, sort of, but in this instance I believe GWB acted perfectly.

Jim. What all of us need to remember, regarding nearly every topic is....There will always be some who must ALWAYS see the Glass as...Half Empty, rather than Half Full.

If some have nothing to complain about. They must find something, and make up an excuse to find something wrong as a means of making their LOUSY ego feel superior to...whoever they can fool.