PDA

View Full Version : The rich do not pay the most taxes, they pay ALL the taxes

red states rule
12-13-2013, 03:38 AM
This is fact the left and many of the self professed conservatives ignore - yet they keep demanding the "rich" pay their fair share of taxes

Buried inside a Congressional Budget Office report this week was this nugget: when it comes to individual income taxes, the top 40 percent of wage earners in America pay 106 percent of the taxes. The bottom 40 percent...pay negative 9 percent (http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44604-AverageTaxRates.pdf).

You read that right. One group is paying more than 100 percent of individual income taxes, the other is paying less than zero.

It's right there in Table 3 on page 13 of the report. The numbers are based on 2010 IRS and Census Bureau figures.

How does someone pay negative taxes? The CBO's formula offsets whatever taxes are paid with "refundable tax credits." Some of these are due to "government transfers" of money back to the taxpayer in the form of social security and food stamps.

That's not to say the rich are going broke. Hardly.

According to the CBO, the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans saw before-tax income grow more than 16 percent from 2009 to 2010, which isn't such a surprise since the stock market (http://www.debatepolicy.com/id/101264605) was coming off the bottom. Most of the rest of the country only saw gross incomes grow about 1 percent. When it comes to federal taxes,the top bracket paid 69 percent of the total last year. The bottom bracket paid 0.4 percent.

(javascript:void(0))

Do high taxes chase away the rich?

Will a potential tax hike on the rich drive millionaires out of their home states? Probably not. CNBC's Robert Frank reports.

"For most income groups, average federal tax rates in 2010 were near the lowest rates for the 1979-2010 period," reads the report. "The exception was households in the top 1 percent,whose average federal tax rate in 2010 was significantly above its low in the mid-1980s."

It does not look to be getting better. The CBO said that since 2010, new taxes have been added which will raise rates for everyone, with the biggest increase hitting the 1-percenters. They could end up with their highest federal tax rate since 1997 this year.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101264757

fj1200
12-13-2013, 11:35 AM
This is fact the left and many of the self professed conservatives ignore - yet they keep demanding the "rich" pay their fair share of taxes

Really? Who would that be?

Anyway, the expected rebuttal sure didn't take long:

No, The Rich Do Not Pay 'All The Taxes' (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-rich-not-pay-taxes-141712660.html)
The article goes on to present data regarding the federal personal income tax, which is indeed paid almost entirely by people with high incomes. People with low incomes pay negative federal personal income taxes (that is, the government sends them checks) because of the earned income tax credit.

At least he acknowledges some truth.

gabosaurus
12-13-2013, 11:42 AM

http://hazellcottrell.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/monday-idiots.jpg

jimnyc
12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Another day, another troll. I hope everyone can learn not to feed the trolls when there is no attempt by them to have a normal discussion.

tailfins
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM
One of the callers yesterday on Limbaugh who is single, lives in NYC and makes $180K gets to keep about half. $90K is a VERY modest standard of living in NYC, yet he hears people like him being lectured about being one of the "rich" not paying their "fair share".

My reaction to high taxes is to only work nine months out of the year and by taking my time replacing a completed assignment. If you're in New England: Work in New Hampshire and loaf in Massachusetts. Just don't loaf too long or you will ruin your career.

Abbey Marie
12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
As someone who will be visiting NH in a couple of weeks, I'm curious, why loaf in Mass?

tailfins
12-13-2013, 12:43 PM
As someone who will be visiting NH in a couple of weeks, I'm curious, why loaf in Mass?

$703 per week for unemployment benefits and almost free health insurance. If you make $100K in nine months in NH and nothing for three months in Mass., you're as they say "all set". They don't cancel the health insurance for three more months after returning to work.

red states rule
12-13-2013, 04:15 PM
$703 per week for unemployment benefits and almost free health insurance. If you make $100K in nine months in NH and nothing for three months in Mass., you're as they say "all set". They don't cancel the health insurance for three more months after returning to work.

Gee, you pay people not to work and guess what - they will not work

I had a bumper sticker on my old car that summed it up perfectly

Vote Democrat

It is easier than working

red states rule
12-13-2013, 04:20 PM
One of the callers yesterday on Limbaugh who is single, lives in NYC and makes $180K gets to keep about half. $90K is a VERY modest standard of living in NYC, yet he hears people like him being lectured about being one of the "rich" not paying their "fair share".

My reaction to high taxes is to only work nine months out of the year and by taking my time replacing a completed assignment. If you're in New England: Work in New Hampshire and loaf in Massachusetts. Just don't loaf too long or you will ruin your career.

Aside from the fact I never mentioned any names yet one poster here seems to have a guilty conscience - I have often wondered at what point does someone hit the mythical threshold of paying their fair share in taxes

It is 50% f their income? Or 60%

Considering the R's caved this year and jacked up taxes on the 1% folks (who were already paying about 40% of all Federal income taxes collected) when you figure in federal, state, local, property, sales, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other taxes - it is not uncommon to have many people handing over 60% of their income to the government

Yet many do not see an issue with that and demand more of their money to redistribute to the "poor"

Does not matter if the left is paying them to be poor either

Arbo
12-13-2013, 04:47 PM
"The rich do not pay the most taxes, they pay ALL the taxes"

I was unaware that FEDERAL INCOME TAXES were ALL taxes. :laugh:

Yes, when it comes to federal income taxes, it's been known by anyone with half a brain that has been paying attention that the top of the pile pays the vast majority of it. Old news.

But perhaps those new to this information haven't noticed much of the counterpoint to the left's 'let us tax them more!' just about includes 'they pay almost all of it, how much more is "fair"?' Those on the left never answer really, they just flounder about.

fj1200
12-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Aside from the fact I never mentioned any names yet one poster here seems to have a guilty conscience...

Considering the R's caved this year and jacked up taxes on the 1% folks...

Somebody has a guilty conscience? Some people just wonder where your trolling comments come from. :confused:

Where did the R's jack up tax rates on the "1% folks"?

red states rule
12-13-2013, 05:15 PM
An ever shirking minority is paying an ever growing majority of the taxes collected at the Federal level

The top 1% of US taxpayers pay almost as much in federal income taxes as the entire bottom 95%, and half of that bottom group paid no taxes at all in 2010

http://www.aei-ideas.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/taxes.jpg

Yet libs and some R's feel they need to pay more. Seems they see the successful folks who keep America working as a renewable money source

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/12/top-1-of-american-taxpayers-pay-almost-as-much-in-taxes-as-bottom-95-and-half-of-that-group-paid-nothing-in-2010/

fj1200
12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
... some R's feel they need to pay more.

Some do? Those people need to be stopped. :eek:

Arbo
12-13-2013, 05:26 PM
An ever shirking minority is paying an ever growing majority of the taxes collected at the Federal level

The top 1% of US taxpayers pay almost as much in federal income taxes as the entire bottom 95%, and half of that bottom group paid no taxes at all in 2010

Wait, I'm confused. In the op it says they pay ALL the federal income tax, now we hear they don't? Which is it?

And BTW, what is a 'shirking minority'?