PDA

View Full Version : NSA officials consider Edward Snowden amnesty in return for documents

jimnyc
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't know about this one. I'm sure there is a bit of national security involved here, as well as saving a lot of embarrassment. But seeing this guy get complete amnesty would bug the crap out of me, as I still believe that ultimately he broke too many laws. Also, how many other people already have these documents? What guarantee is there that others don't have them AND the security keys to get to them? What guarantees are there that he or someone else wouldn't release them down the road anyway? I honestly don't think there is any stopping it now, even if he does get some kind of deal. in 10 years we'll see a release of a trove of documents and he'll just swear they must have been hacked/stolen somehow.

National Security Agency officials are considering a controversial amnesty that would return Edward Snowden to the United States, in exchange for the extensive document trove the whistleblower took from the agency.

An amnesty, which does not have the support of the State Department, would represent a surprising denouement to an international drama that has lasted half a year. It is particularly unexpected from a surveillance agency that has spent months insisting that Snowden’s disclosures have caused vast damage to US national security.

The NSA official in charge of assessing the alleged damage caused by Snowden’s leaks, Richard Ledgett, told CBS News an amnesty still remains controversial within the agency, which has spent the past six months defending itself against a global outcry and legislative and executive proposals to restrain its broad surveillance activities.

“My personal view is, yes, it’s worth having a conversation about,” Ledgett, who is under consideration to become the agency’s top civilian, said in an interview slated to air Sunday evening on 60 Minutes. “I would need assurances that the remainder of the data could be secured, and my bar for those assurances would be very high. It would be more than just an assertion on his part.”

Snowden is in Russia, having been granted a year-long asylum that has sparked international intrigue. In June, the Justice Department filed a criminal complaint charging the 30-year old former contractor with theft of government property, unauthorized communication of national defense information and “wilful communication of classified communications intelligence information to an unauthorized person”, although he has not yet been indicted.

Any amnesty would have to come through the Justice Department, which did not respond to a request for comment.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/15/nsa-edward-snowden-amnesty-documents