PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Sheriff: We Have Not and Will Not Enforce New Gun Control

Jeff
12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
This is Great, hopefully as the Gun Grabbers seem to be gaining ground people will react like this more and more, after all it seems as though the same people that where against gun control a year ago ( or when ever it was it failed the first time ) still are but for some reason it keeps getting pushed forward ( or they keep trying )

Weld County, Colorado, Sheriff John Cooke says he and his deputies have not enforced the gun control laws passed in March and they will not enforce those laws. Before the laws were passed Cooke said he would not enforce them, and since their passage he has made good on his promise.
According to The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/16/us/sheriffs-refuse-to-enforce-laws-on-gun-control.html?_r=1&), Cooke explains his position by pointing to the myriad ambiguities and gray areas in the new laws.
For example, at a recent press conference Cooke held up two 30-round magazines, one of which was possessed before the new ban went into effect on July 1st and the other was purchased afterward--"maybe." He then "[shuffled] the magazines, which look identical, and asked the audience to tell the difference."
As the audience sat unable to comply, Cooke asked: "How is a deputy or an officer supposed to know which is which?"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/16/Colorado-Sheriff-We-Have-Not-And-Will-Not-Enforce-New-Gun-Control

fj1200
12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Let me get this straight... a magazine is illegal based on when it was purchased??? Silly law is silly.

Nukeman
12-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Let me get this straight... a magazine is illegal based on when it was purchased??? Silly law is silly.
Exactly!!!!!! and the morons on the left are calling for these sheriffs to be recalled due to their "unwillingness" to enforce "laws". What they fail to see or understands is that EVERY DAY officers choose what they will and will not enforce... If they (the left) want blanket or blind obedience to the law then EVERY time you get pulled over in traffic you must be issued a ticket when discretion is taken out of the equation. Last I checked whenever the police blindly follow the "law" we have a tyrant or dictator in charge... just saying!!

aboutime
12-17-2013, 07:16 PM
As a comparison for some who may not understand why the sheriffs are NOT following the laws. I find all of it nearly equal to any member of the ARMED FORCES who refuses to carry out an UNLAWFUL Order.

Granted, the laws are the law, and should be obeyed. However. Law enforcement, such as the sheriffs in question; realize that complying with, or prosecuting the laws as written would be nearly as Unconstitutional...in their interpretation of the Unlawful laws as Obama telling members of our military to SHOOT American citizens here in their own nation...because...he says so.

CSM
12-18-2013, 07:10 AM
As a comparison for some who may not understand why the sheriffs are NOT following the laws. I find all of it nearly equal to any member of the ARMED FORCES who refuses to carry out an UNLAWFUL Order.

Granted, the laws are the law, and should be obeyed. However. Law enforcement, such as the sheriffs in question; realize that complying with, or prosecuting the laws as written would be nearly as Unconstitutional...in their interpretation of the Unlawful laws as Obama telling members of our military to SHOOT American citizens here in their own nation...because...he says so.

Of course members of the military should not be shooting American citizens ... that is the job of the police. Besides, the unions would have a field day if the military tried to infringe on what is clearly the policeman's area of responsibility!

DragonStryk72
12-18-2013, 11:56 AM
What I don't get is this approach to gun control. I was actually having a civil discussion with a guy on YouTube the other day on the subject, and my big problem with current attempts at gun control are that they don't actually effect the people they're written to stop.

I'm all for restrictions that protect people from those who would try to make victims of them, but we've pretty much covered all the angles you can on that one, save for a few, and the new laws do nothing to address those. Demands about closing the "gun shows loophole" are met with questioning shrugs by gun show attendees who are receiving backgrounds at gun shows. Ban "extended clips", but only ones after a certain date, meanwhile ignoring that carrying two 22-bullet magazines will not only match, but exceed the number of bullets in the fight, with negligible differences in the time required to get the same body count.

The big one we haven't covered is private sales between individual citizens. Not businesses, but just some guy throwing up guns on Craig's and EBay where there's no real monitoring or background checks. Every other law on gun control for the past several years has been a knee-jerk reaction to basically close the barn after the horse is already loose. And because we're doing it as a knee-jerk reaction to events, the entire debate is always too filled with vitriol to produce any worthwhile legislation