stephanie
06-14-2007, 03:46 PM
:poke:

19:00 14 June 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Roxanne Khamsi

Bill Harbaugh, University of Oregon
Science Magazine
Paying taxes feels good, say researchers.

The surprising discovery, based on brain scans, can also predict which people are most likely to donate cash to charity.

Bill Harbaugh at the University of Oregon in Eugene, US, and colleagues gave 19 female university students $100, and told them some of this money would have to go towards taxes.

Each volunteer then read a series of 60 separate taxation scenarios involving $0 to $45 in taxes, knowing that one of the scenarios would be selected at random and the related amount be subtracted from their $100.

Secret pleasure
As the participants viewed the tax scenarios, their brains were scanned using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Surprisingly, whenever the students read the taxation scenarios, scientists saw a spike in activity within two of the brain's reward centres – the nucleus accumbens and caudate nucleus.

Harbaugh says that people probably like paying taxes more than they admit. He believes the results of his new study help explain the widespread compliance with tax laws. "We like to complain about it, but based on what we do, we are not as opposed to it as we like to say," Harbaugh says.

Economist Robert Frank of Cornell University comments that tax-paying might stimulate positive feelings in the brain because the process helps equalise the burden of helping others.

Harbaugh then repeated the experiment, but instead of the money being given in taxation, the scenarios related to charity donations, and the participants could choose to give their money.

Bigger boost
These brain scans suggest that donating money creates an even greater boost in brain reward centres than paying mandatory taxes.

Harbaugh explains this bigger boost has to do with the fact that voluntary donations are a personal choice: "You feel better because it was your agency that made the difference. Usually, when you are giving, people are watching," he says, which can be an ego boost.

Harbaugh was also able to predict a person's generosity based on their brain response to paying tax.

The 10 subjects who showed the greatest brain activity in response to hypothetical taxes in the first part of the study later chose to donate money twice as often as the other nine subjects.

At the end of the experiment, those whose brains responded more positively to tax-paying generally gave about $17 to charity, while the other nine subjects gave $10, on average.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12068&feedId=online-news_rss20

Hobbit
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Bill Harbaugh at the University of Oregon in Eugene, US, and colleagues gave 19 female university students $100, and told them some of this money would have to go towards taxes.

Scientific method rule #4ish: Be sure to rule out as many outside factors as possible. This was not a random sample nor was it in any way large. All of the test subjects were female graduate students at the University of Oregon. Maybe females like paying taxes, but males don't. Maybe graduate students enjoy paying taxes, while the rest of the population doesn't. More likely, students working in this particular field of study at this particular university actually believe in the government and enjoy giving taxes, whilst cynics, such as myself, cringe as if being disemboweled every time they think about how much of their tax money is being forcefully confiscated so that it can be spent on utter waste designed to do nothing more than buy votes for people they don't like.

Judging by the rest of the articles this publication chose to report, it's reasonable to believe that the only reason they jumped on this fundamentally flawed 'study' is because they believe high taxes are a good thing and will jump on anything that justifies that view.

stephanie
06-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Judging by the rest of the articles this publication chose to report, it's reasonable to believe that the only reason they jumped on this fundamentally flawed 'study' is because they believe high taxes are a good thing and will jump on anything that justifies that view.

Those were my thoughts..when I saw this article...

I'm like...........give me a friggen break..

Hagbard Celine
06-14-2007, 04:16 PM
My ass.

shattered
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah.

It pleases me to stay out of jail, and keep my house.

As for *liking* to pay them... :fu:

Missileman
06-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Let's rerun the experiment again, only this time, make the 19 subjects pull the $100 out of their own wallets. Even better, make the 19 subjects dig a ditch for 12 hours before giving them the $100 and then tell them "oh by the way, some of this money will be taken from you to support some people who won't make an effort to take care of themselves." Of course it's pleasureable to spend someone else's money...it's the foundation of the Democratic platform.

Trigg
06-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Let's rerun the experiment again, only this time, make the 19 subjects pull the $100 out of their own wallets. Even better, make the 19 subjects dig a ditch for 12 hours before giving them the $100 and then tell them "oh by the way, some of this money will be taken from you to support some people who won't make an effort to take care of themselves." Of course it's pleasureable to spend someone else's money...it's the foundation of the Democratic platform.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

06-14-2007, 05:33 PM
people get free money and they are surprised when they dont mind paying the taxes? heck if you want to give me free money as long as its taxed, ill enjoy it too.

But to claim that paying taxes in general is pleasurable is absurd... unless you are the government screwing people... then you might get some sick pleasure out of it.

stephanie
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
people get free money and they are surprised when they dont mind paying the taxes? heck if you want to give me free money as long as its taxed, ill enjoy it too.

But to claim that paying taxes in general is pleasurable is absurded... unless you are the government screwing people... then you might get some sick pleasure out of it.

:laugh2:

Hobbit
06-14-2007, 05:45 PM

But to claim that paying taxes in general is pleasurable is absurd... unless you are the government screwing people... then you might get some sick pleasure out of it.

Ah, but remember, according to Democrats (which, by the way, pervade the universities), income is not earned, it's distributed, so there should be no difference between being given the money and working for it.

At this time, I'm borrowing a fark tag. http://img1.fark.com/images/2002/topics/unlikely.gif

Lightning Waltz
06-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Let's rerun it another time, and after they've dug a ditch for 12 hours, give them most of the money, but also give them a credit card that is maxed out... Then, whisper in their ears that the person you dug the ditch for, got even more money back than you did.

LOki
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Let's rerun it another time, and after they've dug a ditch for 12 hours, give them most of the money, but also give them a credit card that is maxed out... Then, whisper in their ears that the person you dug the ditch for, got even more money back than you did....because they probably paid 20X more in taxes than your ditch digging job is worth for the whole fucking year.