PDA

View Full Version : Egypt's Morsi to be tried for 'espionage', Hamas ties

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-18-2013, 10:09 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/egypt-39-morsi-stand-trial-39-espionage-39-133445657.html Egypt's Morsi to be tried for 'espionage', Hamas ties Cairo (AFP) - Egypt's deposed president Mohamed Morsi and ex-aides will stand trial for "espionage" that helped a "terrorist" campaign involving the Palestinian militant Hamas and jihadists, the prosecution said Wednesday.

If found guilty, they could face the death penalty.

Morsi, an Islamist toppled by the military in July after a single year of turbulent rule, is already on trial for his alleged involvement in the killings of opposition protesters.

Prosecutors had been investigating his alleged links to Hamas during mass prison breaks in an early 2011 uprising against ousted strongman Hosni Mubarak, when Morsi and other Islamist prisoners escaped.

He and 35 others, including former aides and leaders of his Muslim Brotherhood, now stand accused of "espionage for foreign organisations abroad to commit terrorist attacks in the country", a state prosecution service statement said.

Those groups, according to the prosecution's investigation, included Hamas and the militant Lebanese Hezbollah movement, it said.

Some defendants, including Essam Haddad, Morsi's second in command when president, were also accused of betraying state secrets to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

The prosecution also alleged Muslim Brotherhood involvement in a surge of attacks on soldiers and police following Morsi's overthrow, centred mostly in the restive Sinai Peninsula.

Egyptian students protest over Brotherhood leader  …
A riot police maintains order on al-Azhar university campus after clashes broke out during student p …

Some of the attacks, which have killed dozens of members of the security forces, were claimed by Al-Qaeda-inspired groups with no known links to the more moderate Muslim Brotherhood.

But prosecutors say the intention of the attacks was to "bring back the deposed president and to bring Egypt back into the Muslim Brotherhood's grip".

The defendants include the Brotherhood's supreme guide Mohamed Badie and other top Islamists, who are already on trial for allegedly inciting violence.

In addition to militant attacks in the Sinai, the entire country was gripped by unrest in the months after Morsi's overthrow, with more than 1,000 people, mostly Islamists, killed in street clashes with police.

Thousands of people have been arrested, including much of the Brotherhood leadership. Yes, they need to shoot the scum. Then they need to destroy the Muslim Brotherhood by any means necessary. I hope they do because it make Obama cry like a damn baby. As his sorry ass is powerless to stop it. Good God, what a spineless pansy ass jerkweed he is.. and this nation was stupid enough to elect him again!!! IMHO every person that voted for him should have a good swift kick in the ass for good measure. And I do mean every damn body.-Tyr

jafar00
12-19-2013, 08:07 PM
It seems to be a hazardous position to be an Egyptian President these days. You are guaranteed to end up in court for a show trial whenever the opposition is voted in or seizes power in a coup.

jimnyc
12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
It seems to be a hazardous position to be an Egyptian President these days. You are guaranteed to end up in court for a show trial whenever the opposition is voted in or seizes power in a coup.

Let's put it this way, if I were in line to run for President there, I would go out of my way to ensure that ALL of the people are represented, that NO power grabs are made for the constitution, I would ENSURE I don't make moves to make myself untouchable via the courts. These are all bad moves made by Morsi. I think Egypt wants a democracy, but it ain't gonna happen if the elected try to think they OWN the country or can make changes that the people didn't vote on or agree to.