PDA

View Full Version : Cracker Barrel: We screwed up big time

tailfins
12-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I can't imagine anything more stupid. Look at the name and tell me who their target market is. And no it's not a slur, my sons are proud crackers.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/21/duck-dynasty-cracker-barrel-phil-robertson-boycott/

tailfins
12-22-2013, 05:08 PM
“Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores,” Cracker Barrel stated. “And, we apologize for offending you.”

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/12/22/cracker-barrel-screwed-up-big-time/ (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/12/22/cracker-barrel-screwed-up-big-time/)

Abbey Marie
12-22-2013, 05:24 PM
The fact that this happened in the first place goes to show that Cracker Barrel's folksy down-home, rockers on the porch image is all marketing. Not that anyone should be surprised.

glockmail
12-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Wow. A CEO manned up. :clap:

aboutime
12-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Wow. A CEO manned up. :clap:

glock. As Abbey alluded. That wasn't a manning up by a CEO. That was a guy, desperate to keep his job, and the BOTTOM LINE for a huge corporation that needs the BUSINESS. Nothing more, nothing less.
The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR rules the world, even for the Ignorant, Stupid, and Perpetually Dumb.

jimnyc
12-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Their ban didn't last very long. They listened, and knew it would cost them. Kudos to them for "listening". Announced on their Facebook page:

Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.

jimnyc
12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I replied to a different thread about Cracker Barrel and DD, saw they were dupes and then merged both threads.

glockmail
12-22-2013, 08:34 PM
glock. As Abbey alluded. That wasn't a manning up by a CEO. That was a guy, desperate to keep his job, and the BOTTOM LINE for a huge corporation that needs the BUSINESS. Nothing more, nothing less.
The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR rules the world, even for the Ignorant, Stupid, and Perpetually Dumb.

A&E needs the business too, and they haven't manned up.

aboutime
12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

glock. I don't expect A & E to do such a thing. They have too many friends on the Liberal, Obama side who get support for what they do.

Rule of thumb: FOLLOW THE MONEY.

jimnyc
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM

I think if they don't reverse the decision soon, they will regret that decision. The guys are liable to walk, then they would need to wait one year before jumping ship. They don't need A&E - as I just read that their family net worth is now $400 million dollars. I think it was "Hunt TV" and one other channel, already publicly stating they would air the show instantly if A&E drops them - and that they wouldn't censor them and would give much more freedom to DD to speak freely, even on the show. Let me look around and see if I can find the article.

jimnyc
12-22-2013, 08:49 PM
An article about their relationship with just Walmart, but contains their worth. And contrary to what the article states, while future earnings could obviously go downhill, this won't put their current money in jeopardy. I assume worst case scenario would be that they retire as VERY very wealthy people.

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson's controversial comments may cost him and his family a lot more than he bargained for. Forbes estimates that the Robertson family's merchandise empire is around $400 million from deals just in the past year alone, and in light of his recent remarks, this fortune may be in jeopardy.

And that decision is in the hands of Walmart.

Nearly half of their $400 million is thanks to the large retailer, mainly due to apparel. Walmart announced at their annual shareholders meeting that the best-selling item of apparel for both men and women this year was the reality show's T-shirt.

http://www.eonline.com/news/492615/duck-dynasty-s-400-million-fortune-will-phil-robertson-s-comments-crumble-the-empire

aboutime
12-22-2013, 08:53 PM
An article about their relationship with just Walmart, but contains their worth. And contrary to what the article states, while future earnings could obviously go downhill, this won't put their current money in jeopardy. I assume worst case scenario would be that they retire as VERY very wealthy people.

http://www.eonline.com/news/492615/duck-dynasty-s-400-million-fortune-will-phil-robertson-s-comments-crumble-the-empire

Jim. I heard, and read how WALMART'S total supply of DUCK DYNASTY products SOLD OUT Friday. So, Phil and his family are not in any danger, by any means.
Sucks to be A&E about now.

glockmail
12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
glock. I don't expect A & E to do such a thing. They have too many friends on the Liberal, Obama side who get support for what they do.

Rule of thumb: FOLLOW THE MONEY.If it was about the money then how do you explain MSNBC? :laugh:

tailfins
12-22-2013, 09:16 PM
If it was about the money then how do you explain MSNBC? :laugh:

MS-LSD is profitable. Lefty crackpots spend money too. They are in the narrowcasting business.

glockmail
12-22-2013, 09:31 PM
MS-LSD is profitable. Lefty crackpots spend money too. They are in the narrowcasting business.
They are pitiful in comparison to their competition.

tailfins
12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
They are pitiful in comparison to their competition.

From a business perspective, it is still a network worth operating if not operating at a loss. If for example you're in the soda pop business, you don't stop producing ginger ale because cola is more profitable. The race is against zero, not against competitors except for opportunities to gain converts. Would MS-LSD gain viewers by being less nutty and becoming a cheap CNN clone? There already exists a CNN.

Kathianne
12-23-2013, 04:21 AM
Their ban didn't last very long. They listened, and knew it would cost them. Kudos to them for "listening". Announced on their Facebook page:

I'm pretty sure that I've posted before that this chain does not make my 'favorite' list. Not. at. all. My dad and my kids loved it, kids still do. Me? Haven't been in one in probably 15 years. However, whether a PR ploy or sincere, this got my attention:

...And, we apologize for offending you... Whether a business or a politician, truth speaks volumes.

I will go there 'one time' sometime soon. I don't care for the food or the portions, but I like companies that admit when wrong, whatever the reason that gets them there.

tailfins
12-23-2013, 10:40 AM
My wife's favorite menu item there is the catfish. When we were first married she thought she was being served a sick catfish because it didn't have any teeth. :laugh: I explained that American catfish didn't have visible teeth. She thought a healthy catfish should look like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SybkkiQuSuI/AAAAAAAAQW8/wn454edMPtQ/s400/Goonch%2BCatfish%2BTeeth.jpg

jimnyc
12-23-2013, 11:28 AM
I will go there 'one time' sometime soon. I don't care for the food or the portions, but I like companies that admit when wrong, whatever the reason that gets them there.

I never cared much for them either. I heard they try and keep you waiting a bit in order to shop in their story. Also read that a HUGE portion of their yearly income is from the rocking chairs that you see so many of when you go there. And while the food wasn't bad, it also wasn't anything great. Just average, IMO, and generally so crowded that I don't even pull into the parking lot. So you can see that I wasn't even a fan of them prior to this, but also wasn't against them.

Like you, I give them credit for their announcement. They could have ignored the feedback. They could have silently put the products back and hoped the negativity went away. But they listened, and had the courage to admit they made a mistake with their customers and apologized. A good business decision, but also a gutsy one.

revelarts
12-23-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that I've posted before that this chain does not make my 'favorite' list. Not. at. all. My dad and my kids loved it, kids still do. Me? Haven't been in one in probably 15 years. However, whether a PR ploy or sincere, this got my attention:

Whether a business or a politician, truth speaks volumes.

I haven't eaten there in about 10 years myself. I can't remember what if anything i liked about the food.
I've never watched an episode of duck dynasty, and have no idea what products they sell or their faces are on.

But from what i've read they haven't done a thing wrong to deserve the public and financial "shunning" they are getting.

Thankfully cracker barrel flipped flopped back.
but it seems this is going to be an ongoing thing.
chick-fil-a has step back a bit from their position after the flax they got. I do eat there often. even more now.
Businesses can do what they like, but it'd be nice if they held to principals more often rather than just being swayed by the almighty dollar.

glockmail
12-23-2013, 07:11 PM
From a business perspective, it is still a network worth operating if not operating at a loss. If for example you're in the soda pop business, you don't stop producing ginger ale because cola is more profitable. The race is against zero, not against competitors except for opportunities to gain converts. Would MS-LSD gain viewers by being less nutty and becoming a cheap CNN clone? There already exists a CNN.

You are correct of course. But it seems that the normal business practice is to maximize revenue and profit, not simply exist.

fj1200
12-24-2013, 06:48 AM
You are correct of course. But it seems that the normal business practice is to maximize revenue and profit, not simply exist.

Actually the benchmark is to maximize shareholder value which you can't say that they're not doing based on what you posted. Also MSNBC is not the whole of NBC cable news.

NBC News has a broader and more complex revenue model. It benefits from three cable news channels – MSNBC, CNBC and CNBC World. It also can amortize the costs of its news division across more platforms, including MSNBC.com.This cross-platform model helps NBC News escape the limitations of the broadcast revenue structure, which is entirely dependent on advertising. Cable channels have two revenue sources — subscription fees and advertising — roughly evenly divided. As a result, cable channels can generate far more revenue per viewer than broadcast channels. (See cable essay for more (http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2011/cable-essay/))
By our estimates, CNBC now contributes more revenue to NBC News than any other unit, even though its audiences are small compared with NBC’s network programming. By most reports it is the second-most profitable of all of NBC Universal’s cable networks, behind only USA.12 (http://stateofthemedia.org/2011/network-essay/#fn-5177-12)
PEJ estimates that NBC News, from its various parts, brought in revenue of about $2 billion in 2010.
CNBC contributed $722.9 million of that, MSNBC $382.5 million and CNBC World (an international business channel) $16.9 million, according to SNL Kagan estimates. Kagan does not break out figures for the broadcast portion of NBC News, but PEJ estimates broadcast revenue to be in the range of about $850 million, up in single digits from 2009.
The NBC News division also makes a substantial profit from its various parts, and SNL Kagan offers specific figures for the cable entities. It projects an operating profit at CNBC of $447.9 million in 2010, up 8%. MSNBC’s operating profit in 2010 was projected at $172 million, up 7.7%. CNBC World’s operating profit was estimated to increase 42.5% in 2010 to $10.4 million.13 (http://stateofthemedia.org/2011/network-essay/#fn-5177-13) PEJ projects pretax profit for NBC News broadcast operations to be in the 10% range.
http://stateofthemedia.org/2011/network-essay/

They can make plenty of money as a niche player.

glockmail
12-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Actually the benchmark is to maximize shareholder value.... Since share prices are based on potential earnings, growing market share and maximizing profits does that. How does tailoring to a fringe do that?

fj1200
12-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Since share prices are based on potential earnings, growing market share and maximizing profits does that. How does tailoring to a fringe do that?

The market doesn't ignore the costs that may go into growing market share; larger market share =!= profit maximization especially when dumping dollars and assets into a commodity market. Tailoring to a "fringe" can still be very profitable, besides your numbers of taking MSNBC only aren't the entirety of NBC cable news.

glockmail
12-24-2013, 03:24 PM
The market doesn't ignore the costs that may go into growing market share; larger market share =!= profit maximization especially when dumping dollars and assets into a commodity market. Tailoring to a "fringe" can still be very profitable, besides your numbers of taking MSNBC only aren't the entirety of NBC cable news.

Apparently advancing an agenda means more than anything to these people.

fj1200
12-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Apparently advancing an agenda means more than anything to these people.

Umm... what? :confused: