PDA

View Full Version : Dialect Quiz

Thunderknuckles
12-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Thought this was cool. It asks you 25 questions about the words you use to describe things or how you pronounce certain words and then guesses you location in the country. It came pretty close for me. Put me in California but closer to Sacremento when I'm a SoCal boy.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Trigg
12-24-2013, 02:40 PM
well it had me all over the map :laugh:

This could be because my parents are from Kansas, I grew up in Indiana, but graduated in Florida and spent quite a lot of time there.

aboutime
12-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Thought this was cool. It asks you 25 questions about the words you use to describe things or how you pronounce certain words and then guesses you location in the country. It came pretty close for me. Put me in California but closer to Sacremento when I'm a SoCal boy.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Got my location exactly...in the Philadelphia, Pa. area. SODA, and SNEEKERS got me.

NightTrain
12-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Very good!

It picked Wisconsin as my most likely place, along with Michigan, with Alaska in a close second. All 3 hints at the bottom of the page said it was "Kittycorner" that gave it away.

I was a youngster when we moved from WI to AK, but the fact that my parents and family are from there naturally would have trickled down to us kids.

jimnyc
12-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Yikes, I was shocked at how accurate this was! It came back and told me Yonkers, NY, which is 2 towns over from me (although I grew up in NJ, which was within it's range too!)

Trigg
12-25-2013, 06:07 PM
had my daughter take it and it put her outside the Chicago area, the word pop was the one that got her.

glockmail
12-26-2013, 01:25 PM
It nailed me dead-on as a former Bostonian because I used the word "rotary" to describe a traffic circle or round-a-bout. :laugh:

revelarts
12-26-2013, 05:39 PM
neat quiz
Put me broadly in the mid Atlantic region highlighting, DC, Baltimore and New York.
somehow i picked up genric east coast dialect i guess. In college in Pittsburgh people often said they could tell i was from the south but just barley.

fj1200
12-26-2013, 10:22 PM
neat quiz
Put me broadly in the mid Atlantic region highlighting, DC, Baltimore and New York.
somehow i picked up genric east coast dialect i guess. In college in Pittsburgh people often said they could tell i was from the south but just barley.

Prolly 'cause ya talk like ya type. :poke:

Jeff
12-27-2013, 07:30 AM
It nailed me dead-on as a former Bostonian because I used the word "rotary" to describe a traffic circle or round-a-bout. :laugh:

Glock the first trip I took up there was to Agawam and when you got off the interstate the first you hit was a Rotary :laugh: man I didn't know what to do for a second :laugh:

Jeff
12-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Dang I have been in the S.E. 25 plus years and it still took me straight back to the Jersey area, Philly on up to NYC

glockmail
12-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Glock the first trip I took up there was to Agawam and when you got off the interstate the first you hit was a Rotary :laugh: man I didn't know what to do for a second :laugh:

Don't slow down and give the guy to your left a head fake. :laugh: