PDA

View Full Version : Gifts?

Kathianne
12-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Justin got a leap pad 2 (http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/LeapPad2/category/cat1020006):

LEAPPAD2 Discover the #1 kids' learning tablet, our award-winning LeapPad2™!* With a kid-tough frame and friendly controls, LeapPad2 is made by experts just for kids. Take photos, record videos, make art and explore the LeapFrog library of 800+ educator-approved apps, games, eBooks, videos and more.**

One of my best friends, whom I'm living with temporarily, bought Leap Pads for her grandkids last year. They love them.

Smart move, Tyr. Obviously a hit with Justin.

Now here's the big question, for adults what were the 'big hits' for you?

A few years ago, my kids and one of my friends bought me a Kindle Touch, no need to hook up to computer to get books, delivered via Whisper.

Truly big hit.

I still love it, though will upgrade to Paper White if income allows.

What did you get, that you think you will still love a few years from now?

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I got a Capuchin monkey, coupons to touch boobies, Steelers tickets, a 2014 Mustang GT 500 Shelby, a T3 line to my house, 2 playful kittens...

Oh wait, none of that happened, that fat bastard ignored me once again. :(

But I did get an awesome new bath robe, lined with wool, very warm and very, very cool. The fat man made a wise choice there. I think maybe the old lady next door complained that she is tired of seeing me in my underwear letting the dogs out early in the morning! :laugh:

He also gave me some new cool Italian shaving stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/Pf6dgk3.jpg

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh, and also cool, the no good lazy fat scumbag who ignores me every year, he got Jordan a new game for his Xbox - "You Don't know Jack". It's a trivia type game, and you're a contestant on a TV show, sort of. Weird but fun game. Wife is kicking my ass already though. :(

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
This is the robe that I got, same color and all. And if I get any fatter myself, I might very well look like Santa Claus while wearing this!! :)

http://i.imgur.com/Gth0EjD.jpg

tailfins
12-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Both my sons wanted and got a Nvidia Shield. Nvidia pulls a fast one and practically forces you to also buy a Nvidia GTX 660 or better graphics card to use the streaming feature. :bang3: So ... they got each the graphics card too. My oldest discovered the joy of overclocking, so I'm trying to teach him the joy of temperature monitoring.

glockmail
12-26-2013, 01:10 PM
I so lucked out with my wife's gift this year. She's the worst person to buy for because when I ax her what she wants she always responds with a list of what she doesn't want.

So I asked my daughter. She said a Patagonia jacket, like the one that she just got, because her mom commented on how much she liked it. So she shopped on-line and selected my wife's favorite color, and I told he to go ahead and order it on her own credit card (we pay the bill anyway, and she pays us back).

When the bill came in my wife blasted my daughter for buying the same jacket twice. My daughter replied that she really liked it and so wanted a different color, then my wife was sorta OK with that.

Yesterday my wife opened it up, absolutely loved it and commented that it looked like the second one that my daughter had bought. We recanted the whole story and the "gotcha" was as good as the gift. :laugh:

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Both my sons wanted and got a Nvidia Shield. Nvidia pulls a fast one and practically forces you to also buy a Nvidia GTX 660 or better graphics card to use the streaming feature. :bang3: So ... they got each the graphics card too. My oldest discovered the joy of overclocking, so I'm trying to teach him the joy of temperature monitoring.

Sweet, got the Shield and a new video card to go along with it? Did they teach you the joy of sharing with your favorite message board owner? :2up:

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 01:39 PM
I so lucked out with my wife's gift this year. She's the worst person to buy for because when I ax her what she wants she always responds with a list of what she doesn't want.

So I asked my daughter. She said a Patagonia jacket, like the one that she just got, because her mom commented on how much she liked it. So she shopped on-line and selected my wife's favorite color, and I told he to go ahead and order it on her own credit card (we pay the bill anyway, and she pays us back).

When the bill came in my wife blasted my daughter for buying the same jacket twice. My daughter replied that she really liked it and so wanted a different color, then my wife was sorta OK with that.

Yesterday my wife opened it up, absolutely loved it and commented that it looked like the second one that my daughter had bought. We recanted the whole story and the "gotcha" was as good as the gift. :laugh:

I wish mine were that easy. My wife sets me up to lose no matter what I do. She refuses any questioning and states she doesn't want anything, doesn't need anything and would honestly and truthfully be happiest if I got her nothing at all. She did go as far as to say that she would be happy with help cleaning. Of course I cleaned as much as I could on Christmas Eve so that she would come home to a clean house. But also, as men, we know we can't get away with "nothing" on Christmas, birthdays or Valentines Day, it's just an unwritten law that women will hold over you until eternity has come and passed, even if they did swear they didn't want anything. Of course then, even the smaller stuff that you get makes you look like a cheapskate. But I did offer her written promises in her awesome Christmas card I gave her:

5 free trips to Starbucks. Basically, I hate this place, and she knows I refuse to step in the front door with the fruitcakes and snobs in there. But for her, for Christmas, I gave her 5 "KYOO-PONS" for me to get her what she likes with no notice, no questions. Yes, I had to clarify "kyoo-pons" as we had just argued over the pronunciations, which she pronounces as "koo-pons". My dictionary showed both and she didn't like that.

10 (I think) clean this room demands. This means at any given time, outside of my normal Mr. Mom duties, she can say "clean it", and I need to do so with no questions asked

5 "Dinner is on me". Self explanatory, could be ordering or cooking.

3 "Go get me a snack" coupons. Sometimes a couple both get hungry at 9pm, then we argue who needs to go to the store to get some yummies. I have NEVER won this one. Nonetheless, I gave her 3 guarantees in writing on this one.

I know there were more, but can't remember off top of my head, but I know the last was:

1 "Let it go" coupon. What this means is, when we are arguing/debating/discussing something, and we inevitably get to the point where I have won out and usually rub it in her face, she needs only mention this and I instantly and immediately drop the subject and no reference to me being right and her wrong again. *I explained further how this is a once in a lifetime gift, never ever to be given again.

fj1200
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
But for her, for Christmas, I gave her 5 "KYOO-PONS" for me to get her what she likes with no notice, no questions. Yes, I had to clarify "kyoo-pons" as we had just argued over the pronunciations, which she pronounces as "koo-pons". My dictionary showed both and she didn't like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovk4JNw3hAk

glockmail
12-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I wish mine were that easy. My wife sets me up to lose no matter what I do. She refuses any questioning and states she doesn't want anything, doesn't need anything and would honestly and truthfully be happiest if I got her nothing at all. She did go as far as to say that she would be happy with help cleaning. Of course I cleaned as much as I could on Christmas Eve so that she would come home to a clean house. But also, as men, we know we can't get away with "nothing" on Christmas, birthdays or Valentines Day, it's just an unwritten law that women will hold over you until eternity has come and passed, even if they did swear they didn't want anything. Of course then, even the smaller stuff that you get makes you look like a cheapskate. But I did offer her written promises in her awesome Christmas card I gave her:

5 free trips to Starbucks. Basically, I hate this place, and she knows I refuse to step in the front door with the fruitcakes and snobs in there. But for her, for Christmas, I gave her 5 "KYOO-PONS" for me to get her what she likes with no notice, no questions. Yes, I had to clarify "kyoo-pons" as we had just argued over the pronunciations, which she pronounces as "koo-pons". My dictionary showed both and she didn't like that.

10 (I think) clean this room demands. This means at any given time, outside of my normal Mr. Mom duties, she can say "clean it", and I need to do so with no questions asked

5 "Dinner is on me". Self explanatory, could be ordering or cooking.

3 "Go get me a snack" coupons. Sometimes a couple both get hungry at 9pm, then we argue who needs to go to the store to get some yummies. I have NEVER won this one. Nonetheless, I gave her 3 guarantees in writing on this one.

I know there were more, but can't remember off top of my head, but I know the last was:

1 "Let it go" coupon. What this means is, when we are arguing/debating/discussing something, and we inevitably get to the point where I have won out and usually rub it in her face, she needs only mention this and I instantly and immediately drop the subject and no reference to me being right and her wrong again. *I explained further how this is a once in a lifetime gift, never ever to be given again.

I've often told people 'that there ain't no Q in coupons'. :laugh:

You must be a hard man to live with Jim, because you haven't figured out that the woman is always right. Think of her as a customer, because they are always right too. Unless of course they are wrong, then you delicately tell them so.

The advice that I give to my married friends is that the man's job is to treat the wife like she is a queen, so that in the hopes that she will respond and treat you like a king. That means that I do as much work around the house as possible. I work at home and my career has been slow since The Obamanation, so I've been making dinner most of the time. I've become the grill master and the wife and kids love my cooking. Since day one I have always cleaned the toilets, and done every other dirty or back-breaking job that has to be done. If a sink is slow I clean out the trap, because I know the hair and makeup is clogging it. I sweep the garage and have a clean throw rug next to her car door so she can step onto it when she gets out. On my side of the garage I have a clean(ish) tarp over my shelf full of spent oil and nasties, so she doesn't have to see it. I vacuum the carpets and stairs, and clean all the floors. I put the toilet seat down and make sure the toilet paper roll is full and a spare nearby. I keep her PC running. I keep the cars maintained. I haul the trash and recycling out. I make sure everything works in the house as it's supposed to.

I go to Costco two or three times per month and keep the shelves and the refrigerator stocked with basics. Once/ month I go with her to the supermarket and she Q-pons her way through for the stuff not available at the big-box.

The only things that I don't do is the laundry, unless it's all mine and my sons, since she is very meticulous about her clothes. She rewards me by ironing my shirts and I do my best to minimize the number that needs ironing.

jimnyc
12-26-2013, 03:54 PM

You must be a hard man to live with Jim, because you haven't figured out that the woman is always right. Think of her as a customer, because they are always right too. Unless of course they are wrong, then you delicately tell them so.

The advice that I give to my married friends is that the man's job is to treat the wife like she is a queen, so that in the hopes that she will respond and treat you like a king. That means that I do as much work around the house as possible. I work at home and my career has been slow since The Obamanation, so I've been making dinner most of the time. I've become the grill master and the wife and kids love my cooking. Since day one I have always cleaned the toilets, and done every other dirty or back-breaking job that has to be done. If a sink is slow I clean out the trap, because I know the hair and makeup is clogging it. I sweep the garage and have a clean throw rug next to her car door so she can step onto it when she gets out. On my side of the garage I have a clean(ish) tarp over my shelf full of spent oil and nasties, so she doesn't have to see it. I vacuum the carpets and stairs, and clean all the floors. I put the toilet seat down and make sure the toilet paper roll is full and a spare nearby. I keep her PC running. I keep the cars maintained. I haul the trash and recycling out. I make sure everything works in the house as it's supposed to.

I go to Costco two or three times per month and keep the shelves and the refrigerator stocked with basics. Once/ month I go with her to the supermarket and she Q-pons her way through for the stuff not available at the big-box.

The only things that I don't do is the laundry, unless it's all mine and my sons, since she is very meticulous about her clothes. She rewards me by ironing my shirts and I do my best to minimize the number that needs ironing.

I do a lot, but probably not as much as I should! Then again, I am literally Mr. Mom, so it IS my job. I am the dish man, and have learned to get angry at dishes lying around, and even when they are incorrectly placed in MY dishwasher! LOL I like to cook the dinner when on grill, and only a little indoors, where the wife takes charge as she would rather do that than eat the crap I may produce! I'm the carpet guy and also the one who scrubs, sweeps and swiffers. I do what I can as a handyman fixer kind, but have been known to have my brother John come over and do the difficult things. (He recently helped place cement down, fix a porch, redo a window frame...). I gladly bring our vehicle to the garage and guzzle coffee as I wait, as I know crap about fixing cars/trucks. I do the laundry, but that's just dropping off and picking up from laundromat, as we still haven't gotten a new washer/dryer.

But PC's, yep, that's where I earn my keep, with the entire family for that fact! Smart phones, tablets, slow PC's and fast ones, I'm the go to guy when someone has a computer problem. Truth be told though, I don't gain much ground with the wife on that one, as half the time I don't think she gives a crap if the internet even exists or her electronics.

tailfins
12-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Sweet, got the Shield and a new video card to go along with it? Did they teach you the joy of sharing with your favorite message board owner? :2up:

Look us up next time you're in Rhode Island.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-26-2013, 07:19 PM

The only things that I don't do is the laundry, unless it's all mine and my sons, since she is very meticulous about her clothes. She rewards me by ironing my shirts and I do my best to minimize the number that needs ironing. You are on to something there. Myself, I treat my wife as good as possible and then try to get by with doing as little housework as possible except when she is too tired, too sleepy or too sick, then I volunteer to do it all until she is better. Trust me , she doesn't let me be a lazy bastage around the house. I got her 8 gifts for Christmas, she got me two! And one of those she gave me with extra spirit and action Christmas eve after we went to bed!!!! ;) I am surprised that we didn't wake Justin in his bedroom at the other end of the house. I aint complaining mind you. :beer:-Tyr

logroller
12-26-2013, 09:36 PM
My favorite gift is the model train my son received. I forgot how cool those things are, and have become. This one does the regular stuff, f/r speed control, billows smoke and such, and also has a bell, whistle and verbal announcements all controlled via remote. I'm already researching all the upgrades I want to make. My son is just impressed that when he hauls down the track at top speed and derails it throws sparks. Strangely, the derailing spark thing isn't listed among the train features.

Jeff
12-27-2013, 07:48 AM
My favorite gift was the one from my wife, she got me a DeWalt cordless drill and a impact driver set all in one, it came with a real nice carrying case, now if I just felt good enough to actually take it out to the shop :freezing:

But I think the coolest gift in the house was ( yea the kids got all there Under Armour stuff and Mossy Oak stuff, seems all of a sudden they care about looking good, hmmm I guess middle school or rather middle school girls will do that :laugh:) but my youngest got one of those helicopters ya see the guy flying at all the malls and it is a lot of fun to fly, of course everyone has gotten just good enough to try things that work half the time , the other half of the time we crash and burn :laugh:

On another note I have already told my wife next year I want either Jim or Glock :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
12-27-2013, 08:33 AM
this is the first year I can remember I got everything I asked for.....my son gave me a hand turned stone drip tip for my ecig in a red jasper......my daughter gave me a safety razor.....and my wife gave me a pair of leather suspenders......

PostmodernProphet
12-27-2013, 08:38 AM
You are on to something there. Myself, I treat my wife as good as possible and then try to get by with doing as little housework as possible except when she is too tired, too sleepy or too sick, then I volunteer to do it all until she is better. Trust me , she doesn't let me be a lazy bastage around the house. I got her 8 gifts for Christmas, she got me two! And one of those she gave me with extra spirit and action Christmas eve after we went to bed!!!! ;) I am surprised that we didn't wake Justin in his bedroom at the other end of the house. I aint complaining mind you. :beer:-Tyr

that's what the seven extra gifts were for.....

glockmail
12-27-2013, 08:59 AM

On another note I have already told my wife next year I want either Jim or Glock :laugh:

Sorry, I'm unavailable.

:talk2hand:

jimnyc
12-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Look us up next time you're in Rhode Island.

I was only in RI once on a business trip to a doctors office, probably like 1991. I also passed through several times on my way to Boston.

jimnyc
12-27-2013, 03:50 PM
My favorite gift is the model train my son received. I forgot how cool those things are, and have become. This one does the regular stuff, f/r speed control, billows smoke and such, and also has a bell, whistle and verbal announcements all controlled via remote. I'm already researching all the upgrades I want to make. My son is just impressed that when he hauls down the track at top speed and derails it throws sparks. Strangely, the derailing spark thing isn't listed among the train features.

No doubt, gotta be like the dude from the Addams Family (the father, too lazy to look it up) and have the engines crash and blow the whole damn thing up!! Derailing is cool too, so long as you have little tiny passengers in there who come out the windows when you go off the rails! :eek:

logroller
12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
My favorite gift was the one from my wife, she got me a DeWalt cordless drill and a impact driver set all in one, it came with a real nice carrying case, now if I just felt good enough to actually take it out to the shop :freezing:

But I think the coolest gift in the house was ( yea the kids got all there Under Armour stuff and Mossy Oak stuff, seems all of a sudden they care about looking good, hmmm I guess middle school or rather middle school girls will do that :laugh:) but my youngest got one of those helicopters ya see the guy flying at all the malls and it is a lot of fun to fly, of course everyone has gotten just good enough to try things that work half the time , the other half of the time we crash and burn :laugh:

Those r/c helis are cool. Last memorial day my friends and I were flying one and it got stuck in a tree. I lamented that is was a shame we didn't have a second one to dislodge the first. :laugh2:

glockmail
12-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I was only in RI once on a business trip to a doctors office, probably like 1991. I also passed through several times on my way to Boston. My contention that Rhode Island is merely a suburb of Boston is yet again confirmed. :laugh: