PDA

View Full Version : 'You got to marry these girls when they are 15 or 16': Duck Dynasty star Phil Roberts

Jeff
01-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Looks like some aren't going to let this go, yes this could be all all a hoax just to gain popularity but I don't see where they need more popularity. I remember watching a episode where Phil said most of the same things and it was a joke, it was to make people laugh but it seems some would rather hang him for something ( or at least add more fuel to the fire to try and hang him with )

With all the nonsense that just went on with this show I personally don't want to see it in the headlines any longer.

Unpleasant video footage of reinstated Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson has emerged in which he appears to advise young men to marry underage girls because they are easier to control.In the 2009 Sportsmen's Ministry talk, Robertson, 67, who began dating his wife when she was 14-years-old, advises his audience, 'You got to marry these girls when they are 15 or 16. They'll pick your ducks' - which is a literal reference to removing dead bird's feathers.

Warming to his stereotypical redneck theme, Robertson, who was suspended from the A&E hit for nine days earlier this month for homophobic comments, tells the gathered crowd that in addition to being young, the girls have to know how to cook and carry a Bible - 'That'll save you a lot of trouble down the road.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531462/You-got-marry-girls-15-16-Duck-Dynasty-star-Phil-Robertson-wades-new-controversy-advises-men-marry-underage-girls-newly-unearthed-video.html#ixzz2p40mlVrx

Jeff
01-01-2014, 07:04 AM
This is the actual video they are speaking of , if you watch it as Phil goes on talking about woman you can hear the crowd Laughing , it was a joke.

Left-leaning bloggers have unearthed a 2009 video of embattled “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson that they claim features him advising grown men to marry underage girls. Decide for yourself if that’s what he is advocating or if there is more to his comments: “You got to marry these girls when they are 15 or 16. They’ll pick your ducks,” he can be heard saying in the video from 2009. Of course, Robertson literally means that the girls will remove the feathers from ducks. “Look, you wait until they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket,” he tells the audience, who can be heard laughing during his speech. He advises that men check with a young girl’s parents before making anything official. “You need to check with mom and dad about that of course.”

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/12/watch-2009-video-phil-robertson-fire-yet/

tailfins
01-01-2014, 01:18 PM
He was making a reference to what he heard other people say "back in the day". The story is a result of selective quoting and is a hatchet job.

I can relate to Phil's background. My sister married at 15 so her son could be raised by she and the boy's father. My mom married at 17 at a weight of 70 lbs. to avoid starving. If pregnant teens married, there would be fewer bastards running around demanding government assistance. I had aunts that passed out in high school because no food was available for three days. Anyone who says I don't like strong women doesn't appreciate my grandmother who was left alone with nine children to raise in 1930 thanks to Black Lung and Tuberculosis and managed to keep the family together throughout the Great Depression while not forgetting to teach traditional values. My mother married in 1937 as not to be a burden and to eat.

jafar00
01-03-2014, 01:59 PM
He was making a reference to what he heard other people say "back in the day". The story is a result of selective quoting and is a hatchet job.

I can relate to Phil's background. My sister married at 15 so her son could be raised by she and the boy's father. My mom married at 17 at a weight of 70 lbs. to avoid starving. If pregnant teens married, there would be fewer bastards running around demanding government assistance. I had aunts that passed out in high school because no food was available for three days. Anyone who says I don't like strong women doesn't appreciate my grandmother who was left alone with nine children to raise in 1930 thanks to Black Lung and Tuberculosis and managed to keep the family together throughout the Great Depression while not forgetting to teach traditional values. My mother married in 1937 as not to be a burden and to eat.

Indeed. People married younger back then.

My mother in Law married at 15.

My Grandmother was 16.

glockmail
01-03-2014, 03:21 PM
The media is stretching here: "...he appears to advise young men to marry underage girls..."

Actually, he appears to advise young men to marry girls their age, when they are both young.

revelarts
01-03-2014, 03:55 PM
parts of Russia's have got a tradition where the fellas kidnap young women , 15- 20 yr old, and marry them.
some of the young women are starting to buck the system though. Some have committed suicide over it. Other have run away.

Some of the older more traditional folks from the area don't understand all the fuss
older married woman: " ...of course i care for him if i didn't i wouldn't have had 9 children with him, he's a good man.." :confused0058:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TDnO_yV_8mo?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

marriage traditions be weird dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-SYo4U4bE
forced marriages... in Australia

fj1200
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
^Well, it does fill all of the major requirements. One man and one woman. :poke:

revelarts
01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
^Well, it does fill all of the major requirements. One man and one woman. :poke: But then they forget the Thou shalt not steal bit.

Bible says a man should Leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife.
not STEAL a wife.

fj1200
01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
^It's tradition. Don't mess with the laws man. :poke:

Thunderknuckles
01-03-2014, 05:17 PM
So everyone's cool with Muhammad now right? :)

gabosaurus
01-03-2014, 06:00 PM
To me, it is just another example of the ignorance of these redneck hillbillies. I realize why Duck Dynasty is so popular. Normal people have a fascination with trailer trash and how they live. Same reason why Honey Boo Boo is so popular.
I think a few of the DD guys have married teenage girls. It's the whole "barefoot and pregnant" mentality. Get 'em when they are first fertile, before they have a chance to start thinking for themselves. That way, the men are always in total control. Yee-Haw ya'll.

01-03-2014, 07:14 PM
You clearly havent seen the show if you think the men are in charge.

gabosaurus
01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
You clearly havent seen the show if you think the men are in charge.

Who is in all the commercials and making all the comments to the media? When you see the TV clips, who is in them? The men.

glockmail
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
I think a few of the DD guys have married teenage girls. ... Care to back that up? Oh wait, you can never back anything up. :laugh:

glockmail
01-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Who is in all the commercials and making all the comments to the media? When you see the TV clips, who is in them? The men.

Phil designed the original duck call that became very successful. His son Willie graduated college with a business degree and then turned it into a much more successful business; according to Phil, much bigger than he could have imagined. Willie's brother expanded the line with many more calls. Their uncle manufactures them and tests them with real-world experience.

None of the women had anything to do with the product design, manufacturing, testing or mechandising. They don't even use the product. So why would they be spokesmen for the show? :laugh:

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Phil designed the original duck call that became very successful. His son Willie graduated college with a business degree and then turned it into a much more successful business; according to Phil, much bigger than he could have imagined. Willie's brother expanded the line with many more calls. Their uncle manufactures them and tests them with real-world experience.

None of the women had anything to do with the product design, manufacturing, testing or mechandising. They don't even use the product. So why would they be spokesmen for the show? :laugh:

She wants us to believe the "men are in charge" because they make the business decisions and are on the front line. Gabby has stated that her husband makes the dough in her home, which puts him on the front lines. I'm assuming, by her own logic of course, that her hubby is in charge of her household, and I gotta wonder if Gabby is allowed to think for herself or not. :dunno:

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 10:53 AM
To me, it is just another example of the ignorance of these redneck hillbillies. I realize why Duck Dynasty is so popular. Normal people have a fascination with trailer trash and how they live. Same reason why Honey Boo Boo is so popular.
I think a few of the DD guys have married teenage girls. It's the whole "barefoot and pregnant" mentality. Get 'em when they are first fertile, before they have a chance to start thinking for themselves. That way, the men are always in total control. Yee-Haw ya'll.
Nevermind these guys are college-educated and built a business on their own. The show came much later in their lives and is something they do for fun. They don't need the money, trust me.

Of course you have contempt for anyone who lives what they preach and live the kind of down-to-earth lives the greenies only talk about.

I also love the initial comments the article in the OP stated that Phil made 'homophobic' comments. Seems to me that the writer never even read the GQ article. Phil QUOTED the Bible. He said NOTHING about being afraid of homosexuals and only stated he didn't understand the desires of one. Not to mention he also stated that he treats everyone with love and kindness, preaches the Lord's word, and then lets the Lord sort it out from there. Doesn't sound hateful or homophobic to me.

Sounds more like you and your liberal-left groupies are Christian-phobic. I don't see you making comments or posting about Louis Farrakhan's statements that were said recently, that were far worse than what Phil said.

oh yeah, I almost forgot...he's a left-wing token boy... dang those double-standards are great, aren't they??

krisy
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I watch the show a lot, and can honestly say that his wife Kaye doesnt appear to be unhappy or the type to be dominated by her husband in any way. ;) Phil likes to stir up feathers I think. Unfortunately,he will have the P.C. police after him now. Waste of time tho......their objections to him obviously backfired.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
I guess I didn't go down far enough! :laugh::laugh::laugh: My wife was 24 years old when we married 9 years ago. Yet on another political forum a group of libs called me a baby snatcher. :laugh: I suspect jealousy but hey it could have just been the usual stupidity. Nine years, a beautiful son and still going strong , I think I finally made a wise choice in choosing a mate. Girls these days at 15/16 are a long way from being as mature and capable as were the girls of my mother's generation. Parents no longer teach girls from an early age to be wives and mothers as used to be taught. Taught mostly by their mothers. I remember my mom teaching my sisters to cook ,saying, "someday you'll have to do this for your husband and kids so you all have to learn and learn how to do it right." And they all did learn that and much, much more because my mother was an excellent cook. My oldest sister Judy excels in cooking rivaling even my mother! Just as my oldest brother tells me, "you are an even better shoot than dad or granddad." That's his opinion, myself , I still think both shot better than me and I was indeed the star pupil of we boys. By the way, dad used to say when teaching we boys , "someday you'll have to do this for your family, so learn it well." And we did... Of course we were a farm family , you know the type the elitists love to ridicule! The type taught right from wrong and also strong Christian morals! .................................................. .................................................. Instructing children to be adults heading their families has fallen into a sad state. So often now the parents are either divorced or too busy living very selfish lives themselves to even bother. If parents don't even bother they have no right to complain how their kids turn out. I am now on my second bother tour, Justin now 7 learns to shoot. We go to shoot this afternoon. And yes , I know it's a year late starting but had to appease the wife a tad for family harmony... ;) I kept my word(always do) and waited until he was 7 years old. -Tyr

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 11:27 AM
I guess I didn't go down far enough! :laugh::laugh::laugh: My wife was 24 years old when we married 9 years ago. Yet on another political forum a group of libs called me a baby snatcher. :laugh:...

Heh, my ex-DH must really be a 'baby snatcher' cuz I was a month shy of 22 years old when we got married in 2002.

Then even though I was 30 when I married my current DH, he's 14 years older than I am. Most people say it isn't a big deal and it isn't but the funny part is that given the fact my parents were teenagers when I was born, my dad is only 5 years older than my husband. My grandparents are younger than my in-laws. My family loves him though and treat him as if he's always been there so it's all good. My dad with his sense of humor calls him 'son'.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2014, 11:30 AM

To me, it is just another example of the ignorance of these redneck hillbillies. Hey Gabby, in that statement you left out the word --Southern --- as in
To me, it is just another example of the ignorance of these -Southern- redneck hillbillies. See how much more insulting it is when that word is tossed in and its the liberal elitist thing to do too. You know keeping the Hollywood/elitist stereotype of we "Southern men" as ignorant "country hicks" must be upheld.. --Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Heh, my ex-DH must really be a 'baby snatcher' cuz I was a month shy of 22 years old when we got married in 2002.

Then even though I was 30 when I married my current DH, he's 14 years older than I am. Most people say it isn't a big deal and it isn't but the funny part is that given the fact my parents were teenagers when I was born, my dad is only 5 years older than my husband. My grandparents are younger than my in-laws. My family loves him though and treat him as if he's always been there so it's all good. My dad with his sense of humor calls him 'son'. If healthy age can be a none factor. I am sure you guys found that out as you say. 14 years , just a small number. I am 26 years older than my wife. The age has not been a factor at all. The cultural difference has been. She being from Cebu, Philippines which has a much different culture than ours. . Language wasn't a problem either. She speaks 4 languages fluently (and 2 others at get by level) and English is one of the four fluent ones . Being a Southern man myself (slang etc.) she speaks proper English better than I do at times. Simply because I often say, "Y'all jest git er dunnn." :laugh: However she encourages me to say the word -Y'all- because she thinks is great and delights in my Southern accent . She has admitted when we talked long distance on the phone early on during our 4 year courtship /romance before marriage that my accent often left her wondering exactly what the hell I was saying. She learn Southern speak rather quickly after we married. I love it when she tries to say, "Y'all" , like we do. She then butchers an already butchered word combination.. Cracks me up every time. --Tyr

krisy
01-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Your taking the show waaay to literally. You also sound very judgemental and clearly dont watch the show. The wives are hardly barefoot and pregnant and clearly dont take orders lol. They are well spoken and intelligent women. One of the wives actually works at the DC with her husband and helps run the business.

Much of what goes on in this show is acting anyway. Willy said in a FNC interview on New years eve that they are making funny moments in the show. They are far from "redneck",but I find it ironic that when it comes to talking about a group that libs support...I.e. gays,that the p.c. police are on patrol. Yet,its o.k. to label others with different beliefs that are from the south as hillbillies and rednecks and thats acceptable to you.

01-05-2014, 05:41 PM

You mean the commercials where their wives are standing right next to them?

01-05-2014, 05:44 PM

None of the women had anything to do with the product design, manufacturing, testing or mechandising. They don't even use the product. So why would they be spokesmen for the show?

It was Willie's wife who convinced them to do the reality show. The wives are just involved in the marketing of the show. They are part of Duck Commander company as well, though it's behind the scenes.