PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-01-2014, 10:52 AM
If you feel inclined post your New Year's resolutions here. I'll go first. Usually I do not make any......1. Work to defeat enemies of this nation(starting with dems) 2. Up my book reading to 4 a months instead of the current 3. Be a more gentle person(been working on that one since the early 70's) 4. JUSTIN IS 7 YEARS OLD NOW--GUN LESSONS BEGIN IN EARNEST NOW, TEACH HIM TO BE AS GOOD AT IT AS I AM. That one my wife already lodged protests against yesterday. A man has to do what he knows to be best. Wish me luck on the coming battle she will wage. ;)--Tyr

Drummond
01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't normally think about New Year Resolutions myself. Thinking about it right now .. here's what I've come up with.

1. To continue to be a staunch defender of the Conservative cause, meaning that I'm equally committed to continuing my opposition to those forces ranged against it.

2. I tend to be just a little too conciliatory towards my opponents, when I lack the reason to do that (a very recent example of that was a most timely reminder). Lesson learned: I need to get tougher still than at present .. without, of course, going so far as to equal their own tactics ... I am the 'good guy', after all !!

3. I've had a weight problem for ages ... I really should take it more seriously. Maybe restart my membership of my local gym ...:eek::eek:

4. ... Aargh ... !!!:eek:

Kathianne
01-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I've taken a position of working/living with kids that would be in foster care if not for this organization. After application, interviews, visits I was offered the position provisionally on psych eval, medical, references, driving record, and background investigation. The vetting was completed yesterday and I was officially welcomed on board. I move on the 11th and begin training on the 13th.

This position will require me to stop smoking or cut down to the 2 days a week I'll be off. I think quitting seems the best idea.

While I don't really need to lose weight, I do need to exercise and have found a health club 5 minutes away from where I'll be staying. It's close to groceries so I will be able to go when my 'girls' are in school and I'm getting food. I am very excited!

Drummond
01-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I've taken a position of working/living with kids that would be in foster care if not for this organization. After application, interviews, visits I was offered the position provisionally on psych eval, medical, references, driving record, and background investigation. The vetting was completed yesterday and I was officially welcomed on board. I move on the 11th and begin training on the 13th.

This position will require me to stop smoking or cut down to the 2 days a week I'll be off. I think quitting seems the best idea.

While I don't really need to lose weight, I do need to exercise and have found a health club 5 minutes away from where I'll be staying. It's close to groceries so I will be able to go when my 'girls' are in school and I'm getting food. I am very excited!

On that last one, you're describing the essence of my difficulty. I too live about 5 minutes away from the nearest gym facilities (at a fairly brisk walk). Trouble is, this would involve exercise in order to take exercise !

... Life can be so unfair ...

There is a plus point. In the same facility, someone's opened up a shop where you can buy burgers. So every cloud has a silver lining ....

Kathianne
01-01-2014, 12:34 PM
On that last one, you're describing the essence of my difficulty. I too live about 5 minutes away from the nearest gym facilities (at a fairly brisk walk). Trouble is, this would involve exercise in order to take exercise !

... Life can be so unfair ...

I love the discipline of my health club regime, was a very difficult 'luxury' to give up when I lost my teaching position. This is actually a park district facility that has all my 'requirements': track, swimming-both lap and therapy pools, steam, sauna, showers, and full service locker room. (I don't like trucking wet towels or suits back home.) Best of all, instead of my old club's $85 a month, this will only be $59. Sign up fee at old one was over $125, this is only $25. I'll still be saving hundreds monthly by quitting smoking. I'm going to get signed up as soon as I figure how things work there. I need to know more about paperwork and such, how much time I will actually have.

But I will find a way to make it work. ;)

Abbey Marie
01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
They will be lucky to get you, Kath!

:dance::hyper:

Drummond
01-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I love the discipline of my health club regime, was a very difficult 'luxury' to give up when I lost my teaching position. This is actually a park district facility that has all my 'requirements': track, swimming-both lap and therapy pools, steam, sauna, showers, and full service locker room. (I don't like trucking wet towels or suits back home.) Best of all, instead of my old club's $85 a month, this will only be $59. Sign up fee at old one was over $125, this is only $25. I'll still be saving hundreds monthly by quitting smoking. I'm going to get signed up as soon as I figure how things work there. I need to know more about paperwork and such, how much time I will actually have.

But I will find a way to make it work. ;)

The facility I have near me doesn't quite offer as much as yours .. though it does have a gym, swimming pool, track, and I think a steam room. I'd go just for a gym workout once or twice a week (used to be twice, tapered off to once, then I started missing weeks, then I let the membership lapse - sheer bone-idleness on my part). Cost ... around £18 per month, though that was their 'Stepping Stones' introduction, which was offered at cut price rate, lasting for 12 months. To rejoin, I think the monthly fee would be around £30 / month.

I never have smoked, and I just occasionally drink from my own choice (social occasions usually determine how often otherwise). No, with me, it's a fondness for chips, steak and kidney pies, and just generally any food within around 5 miles of me ...

Kathianne
01-01-2014, 01:18 PM
The facility I have near me doesn't quite offer as much as yours .. though it does have a gym, swimming pool, track, and I think a steam room. I'd go just for a gym workout once or twice a week (used to be twice, tapered off to once, then I started missing weeks, then I let the membership lapse - sheer bone-idleness on my part). Cost ... around £18 per month, though that was their 'Stepping Stones' introduction, which was offered at cut price rate, lasting for 12 months. To rejoin, I think the monthly fee would be around £30 / month.

I never have smoked, and I just occasionally drink from my own choice (social occasions usually determine how often otherwise). No, with me, it's a fondness for chips, steak and kidney pies, and just generally any food within around 5 miles of me ...

I love to cook and eat! Exercising makes it less guilty pleasure. ;) Besides, it really helps my energy levels and overall attitude.

Drummond
01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
I love to cook and eat! Exercising makes it less guilty pleasure. ;) Besides, it really helps my energy levels and overall attitude.

I think with me it's the other way round. I'd go to the gym, then visit the burger shop afterwards (or at minimum stick around to enjoy the aroma before briskly walking home to cook a fry-up ....). I find eating burgers or fry-ups makes the gym session less of a guilty pleasure ... :laugh:

PostmodernProphet
01-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm moving to Utah and marrying a second wife....maybe a third if I'm lucky..... year from now I will have lost more weight than any of you.....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm moving to Utah and marrying a second wife....maybe a third if I'm lucky..... year from now I will have lost more weight than any of you..... Careful or else you will have lost much more than just weight. :laugh: Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-01-2014, 11:04 PM

But I will find a way to make it work. ;) I would bet a hefty sum on that... I wish you great success at your new journey Kat. Just be sure to not abandon us here. New jobs sometimes requite much energy and time at first. --Tyr

aboutime
01-02-2014, 10:17 PM

Kathianne. One of the most difficult things I have done during my entire life, has been stopping the smoking habit. When I was in the navy. I used to quit the day before payday, and buy a carton once I had the money in hand.
The real kicker was the LAST day I smoked. Which was the day I had my First Heart Attack. And my doctor told me...following my Quadruple Bypass....If I smoked again. I wouldn't live to see my next birthday. That was nearly 5 years ago in June.
I like being alive to see our six grandchildren GROW UP.
And opening my eyes each morning HELPS.