PDA

View Full Version : Don't go outside today!

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
I think this is the global warming that Jafar and Pete were referring to in other threads. :) I stole this from some hot babe I am friends with on Facebook. :)

http://i.imgur.com/PE08yAf.png

Unless you live in Florida, in which case you've got your own problems. The map you see above is Saturday's wind chill forecasts for the entire country via AccuWeather. Much of the Northern and Midwestern parts of the country will be experiencing temperatures that feel like they are between -20 and -40 degrees. The National Weather Service is calling the temperatures "life-threatening."

It won't be much better on the East Coast, where New York, Boston, and Philadelphia will be hovering around the zero degree mark. Even Southern California — normally still a baked hellscape even in the winter — will see the wind chill dip towards freezing.

http://gawker.com/dont-go-outside-today-1494505785?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Unless you are where I am... I don't want to hear ANY complaining.

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Unless you are where I am... I don't want to hear ANY complaining.

Yeah, I'm glad I don't live out by you guys!! Here in my area of NY it was about 12 when I got up and about 20 now. Like summer compared to you!! :beer:

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
One of those isolated areas being affected by global warming:

http://i.imgur.com/RDHKzCV.png

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I'm glad I don't live out by you guys!! Here in my area of NY it was about 12 when I got up and about 20 now. Like summer compared to you!! :beer:

Governor Druggie actually cancelled school statewide Monday. Last time that happened was 95/96 when the Jesse was in office and I was a freshman in high school.

I'm probably going to do the fun stuff with my kids that I did as a kid in frigid temps and get bubble solution and make 'crystal balls' on the deck, and take a glass of hot water and toss it out onto the sidewalk to watch it instantly freeze and shatter when it hits the ground.

My grandparents live up in Hibbing, MN. Windchills up there are reaching -30s and -40s, some even lower in other areas. This kind of cold weather here is called a 'Canadian Fart'.

HEY AL GORE!! We could use some global warming here!!! Just saying!!!

krisy
01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
One of those isolated areas being affected by global warming:

http://i.imgur.com/RDHKzCV.png

Im in Cincinnati and my daughter is supposed to start back to school Monday. I really hope its cancelled between the frigid temps and several inches of snow we are supposed to get! Some kids have to walk and really its not even safe to stand at the bus stop for too long. I may also need to get a space heater!

jimnyc
01-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I think if I were you guys I would just call it a day as soon as I got out of bed. No need to be outside in that crap!

krisy
01-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I think if I were you guys I would just call it a day as soon as I got out of bed. No need to be outside in that crap!

My husband contracts for Time Warner and Im worried about him working Monday and Tuesday. No one should be hanging from phone polls in that weather! They work these guys like dogs and I would be shocked if they cancelled jobs that required being outside.

KitchenKitten99
01-04-2014, 11:36 AM

I started a new job a couple months ago selling new cars at a local dealership... loving the job except for the weather. We'll still be open Monday but I am not sure I will be in the office given my kids don't have school. I may have to work remotely from home at least to follow up with customers and schedule appointments.

tailfins
01-04-2014, 02:42 PM
I started a new job a couple months ago selling new cars at a local dealership... loving the job except for the weather. We'll still be open Monday but I am not sure I will be in the office given my kids don't have school. I may have to work remotely from home at least to follow up with customers and schedule appointments.

Is the TrueCar.com price as good as you're going to get? Is there a good way to squeeze an even cheaper price?

Back to the original topic .... Cold doesn't bother me; crowds do. I rather enjoy Canada, even in the winter. A temperature of -30 isn't the end of the world if you prepare for it. Did you know there is no TrueCar.ca ? People up there actually think paying MSRP for a new car is normal.

aboutime
01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I think this is the global warming that Jafar and Pete were referring to in other threads. :) I stole this from some hot babe I am friends with on Facebook. :)

http://gawker.com/dont-go-outside-today-1494505785?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Wondering if GLOBAL WARMING will have any effect on the PACKERS game?

Anyone who intentionally exposes themselves to those sub-zero temps, and wind deserve to get FROSTBITE.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2014, 03:28 PM

http://gawker.com/dont-go-outside-today-1494505785?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow Amazing how global warming can be causing all this damn freezing aint it? :nudie: :laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
01-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I regret living in a blue state....

tailfins
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
I regret living in a blue state....

Your path to happiness utilizes a U-Haul (move your stuff) or Craigslist (sell your stuff, then move).

aboutime
01-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Amazing how global warming can be causing all this damn freezing aint it? :nudie: :laugh2:

Kinda makes one feel like starting a new business selling Global Warming Insulated Underwear during the really Hot, Summer months in Australia.

Neither makes any sense.

Kathianne
01-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Amazing how global warming can be causing all this damn freezing aint it? :nudie: :laugh2:

Is Justin getting some white stuff?

Jeff
01-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Holy Hell is it cold outside, I have never seen it get this cold in the SE since I have been here and many are saying Monday night will break all records for cold here in N. G.A. it is suppose to be 6 degrees for the low Monday night and they are already talking about closing schools, my kids are off until Wednesday but the schools in the area that are open are talking about it already ( or at least the parents are, many are saying they wont send there kids to school when it is that cold )

Forecast

46°
31°
Today
32°

Tomorrow
29°
16°
Tuesday
45°
29°
Wednesday
43°
35°
Thursday

Extended Forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/extended/USGA0095?par=yahoo&site=www.yahoo.com&promo=extendedforecast&cm_ven=Yahoo&cm_cat=www.yahoo.com&cm_pla=forecastpage&cm_ite=CityPage)

A "polar vortex" is sweeping down from the North Pole into the United States and as far south as the Gulf Coast, swathing much of the nation in an icy blanket that comes complete with life-threatening wind chills as low as minus-70 degrees.

Much of the midwest and New England is still digging out from the deadly snowstorm (http://www.newsmax.com/US/snow-storm-hercules-northeast/2014/01/02/id/544789) that blanketed states with several inches of snow, and left 16 people dead in its wake. But the super-chilled polar air that's set to start driving a wedge into the country on Sunday will put many people who remain snowed in into a deep freeze as well.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/weather-winter-cold-frecord/2014/01/04/id/545173?ns_mail_uid=65343364&ns_mail_job=1552083_01042014&promo_code=161F2-1

tailfins
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Friday, I had no choice. The apartment complex I'm living in has a contractual agreement to keep Verizon FIOS out. That's means I can count on NO INTERNET in a storm. Me and the team lead to whom I gave a ride were the only ones present on a floor of hundreds of people. Should I tell them "I miss their absence" on Monday? Some people are so stupid that they don't pick up on the meaning of that phrase.

Nukeman
01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
here's a couple of pics from our area

jafar00
01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Your extreme cold wave is actually caused by the effect on the Jet Stream by Global Warming.
http://www.wunderground.com/news/heat-wave-alaska-jet-stream-may-be-blame-20130625

You see, cold masses of air that are normally moved around by the Jet Stream are now staying put and hitting you for longer than usual. The Jet Stream is getting weaker.

Likewise, we are also experiencing a heat wave here in Australia. Hot air is being held in the centre to build up and when it finally moves, the coast gets hammered.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/linkableblob/4462104/data/bom-temperature-map-data.jpg

fj1200
01-05-2014, 02:43 PM

That's one of those few times I miss being in Michigan, during a big fat snow storm.

Trigg
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Your extreme cold wave is actually caused by the effect on the Jet Stream by Global Warming.
http://www.wunderground.com/news/heat-wave-alaska-jet-stream-may-be-blame-20130625

You see, cold masses of air that are normally moved around by the Jet Stream are now staying put and hitting you for longer than usual. The Jet Stream is getting weaker.

Likewise, we are also experiencing a heat wave here in Australia. Hot air is being held in the centre to build up and when it finally moves, the coast gets hammered.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/linkableblob/4462104/data/bom-temperature-map-data.jpg

believe it or not blizzards in the northern states aren't unusual :lame2:

Yes, this is a good one, but I don't think it matches the blizzard of 1978. Actually I don't think it even comes close. We were out of school for 3 weeks and had to be plowed out using earth movers.

Jeff
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Beautiful Pics and Home !!

SassyLady
01-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Been in the 70's around here this week....gets down to 27-30 at night. We are in drought conditions ... need some rain.

Kathianne
01-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Been in the 70's around here this week....gets down to 27-30 at night. We are in drought conditions ... need some rain.

Praying you get rain and we get some warm!

glockmail
01-06-2014, 09:02 AM
:lol:

jimnyc
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The Northeast will be the last to see the cold. I woke up to 52 degrees this morning, but it drops below 10 this evening sometime. A buddy of mine on FB from Wisconsin just posted that he was leaving for work and it was -24!!

jimnyc
01-06-2014, 09:20 AM
:lol:

I'll reply to the smiley!! And only because it's spot on. And not because that's Jafar's stance, but rather because there's always a stance. No matter what happens anymore, weather related or tragedies, anything at all related to mother nature, it's all the fault of global warming!

Obama sucks. Damn global warming.

glockmail
01-06-2014, 09:58 AM
15 below F tonight in the mountains of North Carolina.

:coffee:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Is Justin getting some white stuff? No white stuff yet for Justin. He had hoped to wake up this morning to see white stuff everywhere but did not happen. Damn cold here and the city water pressure is about one fifth of normal. I called they know about the problem and are attempting to fix it. Here is our forecast.
Day Forecast
Updated: Jan 6, 2014, 8:21am CST

Today
Jan 6

Mostly Sunny / Wind
13°F

9°F

Mostly Sunny / Wind

Kathianne
01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
No white stuff yet for Justin. He had hoped to wake up this morning to see white stuff everywhere but did not happen. Damn cold here and the city water pressure is about one fifth of normal. I called they know about the problem and are attempting to fix it. Here is our forecast.
Day Forecast
Updated: Jan 6, 2014, 8:21am CST

Today
Jan 6

Mostly Sunny / Wind
13°F

9°F

Mostly Sunny / Wind

A few of my cousins in LA are concerned about 'how cold' it is. One posted at 11 am, that it was still below freezing!

However, reading a bit further saw someone told her to make sure to keep the water running at trickle, so pipes don't freeze. That would NOT happen in our area. Today, with the extreme below zero temps not going to be gone until at least tomorrow afternoon, if leaving from more than 5 or 6 hours, we'd run a bit of water. Otherwise the houses are built for it. There's no way waterpipes would 'freeze' even if the outside is 0. Too much insulation and pipes aren't exposed enough to freeze as long as the house is heated.

Little-Acorn
01-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I lived in Minnesota for five years, and I really, really didn't like the weather.

So I moved.

Problem solved.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5844&d=1389034937

KitchenKitten99
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I lived in Minnesota for five years, and I really, really didn't like the weather.

So I moved.

Problem solved.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5844&d=1389034937

I hate you right now. Just saying.

Kathianne
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Tomorrow again schools will be closed. Kids are cheering, parents who are working from home are crying.

glockmail
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
A few of my cousins in LA are concerned about 'how cold' it is. One posted at 11 am, that it was still below freezing!

However, reading a bit further saw someone told her to make sure to keep the water running at trickle, so pipes don't freeze. That would NOT happen in our area. Today, with the extreme below zero temps not going to be gone until at least tomorrow afternoon, if leaving from more than 5 or 6 hours, we'd run a bit of water. Otherwise the houses are built for it. There's no way waterpipes would 'freeze' even if the outside is 0. Too much insulation and pipes aren't exposed enough to freeze as long as the house is heated.

When I built my mountain cabin I put the oil burner/ boiler in the garage basement. There are no heat vents there but it is heated by waste heat from the boiler itself. The walls and doors are well insulated, so it typically stays about 10 degrees below the set temperature of the house.

My 'plumber from hell' ended up putting an octopus of cold water pipe above the boiler and against an outside wall, not in the joist space but against the ceiling. No big deal but in order to complete the drywall I put a box around the whole mess. The alternative was a half-dozen openings. That was difficult to do because you're working above the boiler with limited access.

Big mistake by me since the uninsulated sill plate (double 2x10) is inside the box. The walls are R25 or so but the sill area is 3" thick and only R9. So when it gets real cold and I leave for a week or so (house thermostat set to 50F), the garage gets down to 40F and pipes freeze inside this little box. They haven't frozen so much as to burst pipes but the kitchen sink above has no cold water to it.

Ultimately I plan on removing the entire ceiling to take care of creaks in the floor above (a second mistake, but by my carpenter who used the wrong glue in this area), so I have not bothered to redo the box area. My temporary fix is to install a thermostat in the garage that is set at 45F. I also turn the water off at the house main.

KitchenKitten99
01-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Is the TrueCar.com price as good as you're going to get? Is there a good way to squeeze an even cheaper price?

Back to the original topic .... Cold doesn't bother me; crowds do. I rather enjoy Canada, even in the winter. A temperature of -30 isn't the end of the world if you prepare for it. Did you know there is no TrueCar.ca ? People up there actually think paying MSRP for a new car is normal.

TrueCar.com is a joke and a waste of your time.

Why? Because all they are doing is quoting you the price based on the incentives that are available to the public, and not a secret. The catch is you have to qualify for the incentives AND many of the incentives are on specific models with certain options/trim levels. If you want to know all the incentives you qualify for, you can either go to the manufacturer website or the dealer themselves.

We have our prices right on most of our vehicles ( www.cornerstoneautoresource.com (http://www.cornerstoneautoresource.com) ). In warm weather, we have the window sticker on the outside with the price listed. Winter time doesn't allow for the sticker to properly adhere.

Depending on where you live, the type of vehicle you're looking for, and the selling practices of the dealer, the average new vehicle could be sold for $1500 to $5000 over invoice.

I actually did a scenario for a 2013 F-150 4x4 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, with the Luxury Package. We have one on our lot priced at $46,104 with an MSRP of $54,180. The same model truck with similar options, almost identical via TrueCar.com at Freeway Ford in Bloomington has an MSRP of $51,285 and they are selling it on their website for $40,857. How are they undercutting by $6k?

There is not a real savings there. They have ALL the assumed price discounts customers qualify for all of them which is almost never the case. This dealer works similar to another one locally that have been disciplined for misleading pricing. Another way to know that is they don't actually list which discounts are being counted. We do. We list each name of each rebate and savings discount available to everyone regardless. Additional savings are available to certain qualified buyers such as military and owner loyalty, or even just for owning a competitor vehicle. We just don't list those initially because not everyone qualifies for them.

Trigg
01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
I've been facebooking with a friend in Florida and just sent her a video of water turning to steam when thrown in this weather. It's only -10 with NO windchill.....she got a huge kick out of the video.

But, we're supposed to be back in the high 20's to 30's by the end of the week, back to normal. :dance:

gabosaurus
01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
KitchenKitten, I hope you are OK and retaining your sanity under these conditions. I have to admit that, when I went out for lunch here a couple of hours ago, it was 77 and the sun was out. :cool:

In an attempt to gather some understanding, I called my sister-in-law in Edina this morning and she was close to insanity. It was -20 or so and her three kids were getting stir crazy. The middle child was happy not to have school, so she wanted to go hang out with her boyfriend. My SIL told her she could walk to Champlin if she felt the need. Didn't get a happy response.
Her husband went to work at 6:30 a.m. I asked what he was wearing. SIL replied "pretty much everything." :laugh: Since he will be outside pretty much the entire day examining roads and bridges to make sure the cold hasn't compromised their structural integrity.

Good luck and stay safe to everyone enduring the frigid conditions.