PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been to Iceland?

tailfins
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
If you have, what did you think? Is it a destination you would recommend? Airfare to there seems pretty reasonable at around $700 round trip.

aboutime
01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
If you have, what did you think? Is it a destination you would recommend?

Had navy friends who were stationed there. They loved it. Beautiful, but kinda cool. Thermo generated heat, and electricity, plus the beauty. A Photography paradise.

http://youtu.be/5SOrdALBvLI

jafar00
01-04-2014, 03:00 PM
The economy fare from here is $3k+ (expedia) for economy and 37hrs travel. Still, I would like to experience Iceland one day. Crisp, clean and quirky.

fj1200
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm waiting for their economy to crater so that I can pick up a new wife cheap.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UJJQSk3me3o/UrcxJGo0CjI/AAAAAAAACOQ/nT4wWwrQgr0/s400/IcelandWoman.jpg

:poke:

Drummond
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
If you have, what did you think? Is it a destination you would recommend? Airfare to there seems pretty reasonable at around $700 round trip.

Yes, I've visited ... a long time ago, but yes - in the summer of 1986.

Depends on what you look for in a holiday as to whether it's worth going to. If you're looking for a holiday 'to get away from it all', then Iceland is ideal.

For the size of its total population (around 320,000) it's a very large landmass, with half of this number living in Reykjavik. Visit in summer, expect temperatures in the 50's to possibly low 60's fahrenheit. If they have a heatwave, you might be lucky enough to experience 70 degrees (though rather unlikely).

Early August sunshine had the sun rise at around 4AM, and begin to set at 11.30PM, as I recall. Entry (when I went) was via Keflavik International Airport, which doubled as a US military base.

Reykjavik (.. back then ..) had one TV channel, broadcasting around 5 hours per day from 7.30 PM. A substantial amount of what it broadcast was British television programmes (which means that some were also American), with original soundtrack intact but with Icelandic subtitles.

The station was closed down in July -- reason being, the Islanders were worried that TV could be killing the art of conversation ...

Radio ... a couple of stations are receivable over the airwaves. Broadcast news bulletins once daily at 7AM in the summer months. Also, if in range, you could tune in to the Keflavik base's military entertainment station on AM. Also .. late at night, after 11PM, you should be able to (if faintly) receive BBC Radio 4 on 1500 metres, longwave.

If you want easy access to alcoholic beverages, you'd be advised to buy at Keflavik's Duty Free shop, open to customers when they ENTER the country. Failing that, large warehouse-style establishments, manned by people in uniform, sell booze during limited opening hours during the day, on 2 days per week.

... now ... all this was information true of 1986 ! Much may have changed (not least Internet access, media via the Internet, all that). Following digital TV's introduction, Iceland may also well use the UK's Sky digital satellite system for some of its TV reception.

Hope all this helps. As I say, I view Iceland as a 'get away from it all' holiday ..

tailfins
01-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm considering Iceland in June/July because I don't like crowds and lots of heat.

Drummond
01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm considering Iceland in June/July because I don't like crowds and lots of heat.

In that case, definitely go there ! Reykjavik will appear to you to be a fairly normal town (even if some of the buildings are brightly coloured). Leave the Reykjavik environment, and you're pretty much guaranteed a sense of solitude. In fact ... I travelled on one of their local tourist outings (during an afternoon), and they took us to a remote coastline spot ... and I swear, you could actually FEEL that there was nobody around you for many miles in any direction (apart from the coach party, naturally ...) ... it was a liberating experience. In fact, something of that experience sticks with you throughout your stay in the country ...

Approaching it from the air, by the way, is nothing short of dramatic. Being a volcanic island, it looks like you're flying over a moonscape.

Bear in mind that it's an island community, insular to a degree. They're friendly - many should speak English - and of course, if the Keflavik US base is still there, I would think you're likely to encounter other Americans there.

tailfins
01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
In that case, definitely go there ! Reykjavik will appear to you to be a fairly normal town (even if some of the buildings are brightly coloured). Leave the Reykjavik environment, and you're pretty much guaranteed a sense of solitude. In fact ... I travelled on one of their local tourist outings (during an afternoon), and they took us to a remote coastline spot ... and I swear, you could actually FEEL that there was nobody around you for many miles in any direction (apart from the coach party, naturally ...) ... it was a liberating experience. In fact, something of that experience sticks with you throughout your stay in the country ...

Approaching it from the air, by the way, is nothing short of dramatic. Being a volcanic island, it looks like you're flying over a moonscape.

Bear in mind that it's an island community, insular to a degree. They're friendly - many should speak English - and of course, if the Keflavik US base is still there, I would think you're likely to encounter other Americans there.

I know that feeling quite well from when I drove to Fort McPherson, Northwest Territories above the Arctic Circle. Some of my thoughts were "what if I get two flat tires since I only have one spare" and "what if that Polar Bear drinking off the side of the road attacks my car". Thankfully, the polar bear ran away when it heard the sound of the car on the gravel. When I pulled over for a nap, only a single tractor trailer drove by in three hours. I checked my odometer before and after that vacation: 10,800 miles round trip.

tailfins
02-28-2014, 08:53 AM
A site called http://totaliceland.com/ has made me reconsider this trip.

A trip to Iceland planned for this summer? Then make sure you stuff your wallet with larger bills than originally planned. Else you won´t see very much.

It goes on to talk about rental car ripoffs being the norm, paying big bucks to stay in a dump overnight. He also talks about Iceland's FORMER reality has transformed it into a crowded tourist trap.

Also there's this:

Overall restauranteers are well aware that tourists have deep pockets and price accordingly. On average you can find cheap soup and bread for around 1.000 kronas but expect to pay up to 20.000 per head in a good restaurant with wine (One Krona is about one US cent).

jimnyc
02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm waiting for their economy to crater so that I can pick up a new wife cheap.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UJJQSk3me3o/UrcxJGo0CjI/AAAAAAAACOQ/nT4wWwrQgr0/s400/IcelandWoman.jpg

Can we share her? :dunno:

Jeff
03-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Can we share her? :dunno:

NO y'all can't share my GF :laugh: