View Full Version : My daughter playing in the snow today

darin
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
She'll be 15 this summer; had her practicing drifts and recovery today

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5845&d=1389064915

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-06-2014, 11:40 PM
She'll be 15 this summer; had her practicing drifts and recovery today

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5845&d=1389064915 Going to show that pic to Justin before he heads to school. He has been begging for snow! I know, I have a mean bone in me .. ;)--Tyr

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Is that an Expedition or Explorer? Looks like an 05 Expedition but hard to tell with all the powder (plus the look didn't change much over 98 thru 06). I am printing this pic out and giving it to my General Manager. I believe he'll appreciate it.

Thank you DMP for teaching her to recover from sliding and keep control of the vehicle in conditions like this. Especially with a larger vehicle. No one here seems to do that and with so many transplants and immigrants without licenses here, winter driving is more dangerous than it used to be.

I know both my vehicles' capabilities and what they feel like sliding, spinning wheels with and without traction control. I know exactly how fast and long of a running start I need with my Impala to get up an incline with snow. I don't care how many people behind me honk and throw tantrums because I am waiting for the guy turning to complete his move before I barrel up with my car.

aboutime
01-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Is that an Expedition or Explorer? Looks like an 05 Expedition but hard to tell with all the powder (plus the look didn't change much over 98 thru 06). I am printing this pic out and giving it to my General Manager. I believe he'll appreciate it.

Thank you DMP for teaching her to recover from sliding and keep control of the vehicle in conditions like this. Especially with a larger vehicle. No one here seems to do that and with so many transplants and immigrants without licenses here, winter driving is more dangerous than it used to be.

I know both my vehicles' capabilities and what they feel like sliding, spinning wheels with and without traction control. I know exactly how fast and long of a running start I need with my Impala to get up an incline with snow. I don't care how many people behind me honk and throw tantrums because I am waiting for the guy turning to complete his move before I barrel up with my car.

I think, the biggest mistake most drivers tend to make in Northern, Snow prone area's is. They were taught to drive in rear-drive vehicles, but the larger number of vehicles on the road today are Front-wheel drive. So, the reaction of drivers with front-wheel drive is just the Reverse...or at least...it should be. So, when they find themselves sliding, or skidding on ice, and snow. Their instant reactions are as taught...TURN INTO THE SKID....kinds of instructions. BUT...that's not always effective with front wheel drive autos.

darin
01-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks!! 06 expedition, lifted 3.5" front, 2.5" rear on 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, siped.

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks!! 06 expedition, lifted 3.5" front, 2.5" rear on 295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers, siped.

Ha, so I was close. I am getting better at this, lol. Like I said the look didn't change much through those years.

I figured those were meatier tires. I could tell they definitely weren't every day summer ones.

Oh and my manager loved the pic, as did the rest of the management team. I actually ended up sending it to him via email because we only have black & white printers here and the pic looks much better in color.

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I think, the biggest mistake most drivers tend to make in Northern, Snow prone area's is. They were taught to drive in rear-drive vehicles, but the larger number of vehicles on the road today are Front-wheel drive. So, the reaction of drivers with front-wheel drive is just the Reverse...or at least...it should be. So, when they find themselves sliding, or skidding on ice, and snow. Their instant reactions are as taught...TURN INTO THE SKID....kinds of instructions. BUT...that's not always effective with front wheel drive autos.

Actually turning into the slide is the correct thing regardless of torque location. The KEY thing to do is let up off ALL pedals. The vehicle will naturally slow itself down as the skid resistance slows momentum. Turning into the slide reduces the rear tail swing, even with a FWD car/SUV. Turning out vs in could flip/roll you because of the way momentum will still carry you over your wheels/axles.

darin
01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Screw that - as the back end slides around turn into the slide and feather the gas to keep the vehicle angled into a clean controlled drift :D

another from the day..

logroller
01-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Screw that - as the back end slides around turn into the slide and feather the gas to keep the vehicle angled into a clean controlled drift :D

another from the day..
Slam on the brakes and throw an arm across the passenger's chest. :laugh2:

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Slam on the brakes and throw an arm across the passenger's chest. :laugh2:

Seinfeld episode, saw it!! :)

Kathianne
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Seinfeld episode, saw it!! :)

I don't know a mother that doesn't do that! LOL! Still do it when I've anyone in the car. Funny thing, never did so before kids.

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't know a mother that doesn't do that! LOL! Still do it when I've anyone in the car. Funny thing, never did so before kids.

In the Seinfeld episode, the guys would hit the brake purposely to do so, so that they can place their hands across the boobies!! :laugh: :beer:

logroller
01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
In the Seinfeld episode, the guys would hit the brake purposely to do so, so that they can place their hands across the boobies!! :laugh: :beer:
My wife does it, not the boobies thing but the arm thing. So now whenever I'm riding shotgun and she stops suddenly I reach across.

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:53 AM
My wife does it, not the boobies thing but the arm thing. So now whenever I'm riding shotgun and she stops suddenly I reach across.

I made the mistake of telling my wife about that episode. Now she would rather hit her head on the windshield than let me help her if I have to brake! :lol:

Abbey Marie
01-08-2014, 11:55 AM
How the heck is your daughter almost 15!

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
How the heck is your daughter almost 15!

Because we're getting old. :( :poke:

Abbey Marie
01-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Because we're getting old. :( :poke:

:p

aboutime
01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I made the mistake of telling my wife about that episode. Now she would rather hit her head on the windshield than let me help her if I have to brake! :lol:

Jim. Ya know. If you really think about it today. Considering all cars now have air-bags. That habit of reaching across to prevent your passenger from moving forward could....almost be dangerous IF...the result of the sudden stop is enough to cause the air-bags to inflate. It would drive your arm into the face of your passenger....MAYBE??

KitchenKitten99
01-08-2014, 06:02 PM

another from the day..

That's all good if you're not in traffic ha ha! I do it in parking lots for fun when I can.

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Jim. Ya know. If you really think about it today. Considering all cars now have air-bags. That habit of reaching across to prevent your passenger from moving forward could....almost be dangerous IF...the result of the sudden stop is enough to cause the air-bags to inflate. It would drive your arm into the face of your passenger....MAYBE??

That would be my whole reasoning for leaning across, hoping that the 'air bags' were inflated! :coffee:

aboutime
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
That would be my whole reasoning for leaning across, hoping that the 'air bags' were inflated! :coffee:

Agreed. I used to do the same thing long ago. It's a natural instinct to do it.

Seriously. About air-bags. Personal experience in fact...everyone needs to be careful how they position your hands on your steering wheel. That old 10 and 3 idea was great..BEFORE air-bags. But now...If your hands are high on the steering wheel when the air-bag inflates....GUESS where your hands, and arms are about to be pushed???

Not a joke. Try it, and imagine what will happen.

logroller
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Well if the 'airbags' were deployed I'd definitely be making an immediate stop. :2up:

gabosaurus
01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
You can keep the snow drifts to yourselves. We have had temperatures in the mid-70s all week. :cool:

jimnyc
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Well if the 'airbags' were deployed I'd definitely be making an immediate stop. :2up:

And then another stop, and another, and another, and another, and another... :lol:

darin
01-09-2014, 11:14 AM
More!