PDA

View Full Version : Help me name my horse boarding biz...

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Seriously...

DH and I have been given the unique and awesome opportunity to own and operate an 11 acre farm not far from where we have been living.

Without going into too much detail (not many would believe them anyway), we closed rather quickly and I find myself (still a bit dazed as to how fast it all happened) planning out my PT horse business that will eventually lead to FT work. The farm is pretty turn-key and all the modern comforts, including the barn being only a couple years old, 8 brand new Priefert premium stalls with mats and heated waterers, Ritchie watering system, pasture is all fenced off, and the owner left me about 400+ bales of hay that is 99% still good (some may have mild molding). Everything is modern and installed within the last couple years.

I have some time to work on the details since no one here moves their horse to a new facility until the snow starts melting (usually around March) with extreme emergencies being an exception. It is just too dangerous to trailer horses most winter days unless emergency vet visit is needed.

Normally I am creative and really great with words and creative business names. I have done it successfully with the last couple businesses I started or helped start.

I am now stumped as to what to call the place. I don't want to be cheesy, 'cutesy' or 'generic' (if that makes sense) I also don't want to give the impression that I am more than what I am. Sometimes some names make the operation sound bigger or more eloquent than what they are. I want to be humble but classy yet casual. Seriously, I have never had this much trouble coming up with a creative name for a business.

Here are a couple details about the place that we live, what I plan to offer, and the surrounding area:

*The road we live on is Diamond Lake Rd.,
*We are only 2 miles away from the Mississippi River.
*We have a view of (but don't actually live on) Diamond Lake.
*We are 3/4 mile from Elm Creek Park Reserve horse trails.
*Cross street next to us is Zanzibar Lane.
*I plan to offer boarding, both stall and pasture. I will also be offering free guided trail rides to military personnel and their families, but not to the public in general.
*I am eventually going to get certified as a PATH International facility and a certified PATH instructor. That will take about a year to complete. The above guided trail rides will be my segue into being PATH certified.
*I don't want to have the word 'acres' in the name because that feels like it implies we have a much larger facility.
*I only have 8 stalls, and space for 5 pasture-boarded horses to allow for my own family's horses to be there. So really we are pretty small in comparison to many other facilities in my area.
*Topography is pretty hill/valley, lots of trees, though vast open farm acreage is mixed well.
*My house has pines and flowering crab trees lining the driveway and the north side which lines the road.
*I am not offering riding lessons beyond maybe doing a Girl Scout or Boy Scout badge level on horsemanship, to give you the idea of the simplicity I want. Mostly the people I want to cater to are those who do recreational riding, competitive games like WSCA, and competitive ranch work like I do (team cutting/sorting).

Oy vey... why does my creative side decide to take a vacation right now?

Thanks in advance!

aboutime
01-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Seriously...

DH and I have been given the unique and awesome opportunity to own and operate an 11 acre farm not far from where we have been living.

Without going into too much detail (not many would believe them anyway), we closed rather quickly and I find myself (still a bit dazed as to how fast it all happened) planning out my PT horse business that will eventually lead to FT work. The farm is pretty turn-key and all the modern comforts, including the barn being only a couple years old, 8 brand new Priefert premium stalls with mats and heated waterers, Ritchie watering system, pasture is all fenced off, and the owner left me about 400+ bales of hay that is 99% still good (some may have mild molding). Everything is modern and installed within the last couple years.

I have some time to work on the details since no one here moves their horse to a new facility until the snow starts melting (usually around March) with extreme emergencies being an exception. It is just too dangerous to trailer horses most winter days unless emergency vet visit is needed.

Normally I am creative and really great with words and creative business names. I have done it successfully with the last couple businesses I started or helped start.

I am now stumped as to what to call the place. I don't want to be cheesy, 'cutesy' or 'generic' (if that makes sense) I also don't want to give the impression that I am more than what I am. Sometimes some names make the operation sound bigger or more eloquent than what they are. I want to be humble but classy yet casual. Seriously, I have never had this much trouble coming up with a creative name for a business.

Here are a couple details about the place that we live, what I plan to offer, and the surrounding area:

*I plan to offer boarding, both stall and pasture. I will also be offering free guided trail rides to military personnel and their families, but not to the public in general.
*I am eventually going to get certified as a PATH International facility and a certified PATH instructor. That will take about a year to complete. The above guided trail rides will be my segue into being PATH certified.
*I don't want to have the word 'acres' in the name because that feels like it implies we have a much larger facility.
*I only have 8 stalls, and space for 5 pasture-boarded horses to allow for my own family's horses to be there. So really we are pretty small in comparison to many other facilities in my area.
*Topography is pretty hill/valley, lots of trees, though vast open farm acreage is mixed well.
*My house has pines and flowering crab trees lining the driveway and the north side which lines the road.
*I am not offering riding lessons beyond maybe doing a Girl Scout or Boy Scout badge level on horsemanship, to give you the idea of the simplicity I want. Mostly the people I want to cater to are those who do recreational riding, competitive games like WSCA, and competitive ranch work like I do (team cutting/sorting).

Thanks in advance!

How bout "The Only Way"?

Give those coming to visit, or board their animals a feeling of security.
Just a suggestion. Probably not what you're looking for. Just off the cuff.
Good Luck anyway.

Missileman
01-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Seriously...

Thanks in advance!

How about "Diamond Lake Stables"?

KitchenKitten99
01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
How about "Diamond Lake Stables"?

I would use it but there was a similar one in the metro called "Diamond T", and they didn't have a great reputation. I am afraid the name/reputation might fall on me as being related.

Great suggestion though!

Little-Acorn
01-07-2014, 09:21 PM
How about L'Equestrienne?

(pronounced Lay-quest-tree-en)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
[
QUOTE=KitchenKitten99;680034]Seriously...

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE] How about-- Horsecare R Us or Care UR Horse ...-Tyr

Voted4Reagan
01-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Double K Equestrian

Kathianne
01-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Zanzibar Stables? I initially thought, 'Zanzibar-Diamond' stables, but that does sound a bit grandiose. Always good is using your own last name.

logroller
01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
At first I thought about 'Private pastures' or 'pristine pastures', but that doesn't really click IMO. I think you should go wth something fun like 'hobby horse', add whatever 'boarding', 'stables'...'bed&breakfast' (j/k, nothing too cutesy, right.) But seriously, I think that would embrace your personal passion, your not being a megabarn and its just fun to say: Hobby Horse. Good luck.

Jeff
01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Diamond lake Stables
​A Hands On personal touch

logroller
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
At first I thought about 'Private pastures' or 'pristine pastures', but that doesn't really click IMO. I think you should go wth something fun like 'hobby horse', add whatever 'boarding', 'stables'...'bed&breakfast' (j/k, nothing too cutesy, right.) But seriously, I think that would embrace your personal passion, your not being a megabarn and its just fun to say: Hobby Horse. Good luck.
Or hobbie horse. Google hobbie. But I think it would lead to misspellings.

KitchenKitten99
01-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Zanzibar Stables? ...
This is actually one i thought about too.

I'm thinking maybe Zanzibar Creek Stables... ?

Missileman
01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
This is actually one i thought about too.

I'm thinking maybe Zanzibar Creek Stables... ?

How about "The Big Muddy Horse Hotel"? If nothing else, it would generate curiosity. :laugh2:

tailfins
01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
How about Stability ?

KitchenKitten99
01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
How about "The Big Muddy Horse Hotel"? If nothing else, it would generate curiosity. :laugh2:

Considering most of the boarding facilities in this area tend to have lots of mud and muck in spring with melting snow and rain, calling it that would be ironic. One thing I do not envy is a light colored horse in springtime here.

Fun part is my place is at the top of a hill and well-drained. Mud and muck wont be much of an issue.

Gaffer
01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
If your on a hill perhaps Horse Hill.

Horse Haven

Easy Riders

The Pasture

The Hoof and Barn

Put some chickens in the yard and call it the Burrow.

Just some thoughts to stir your own imagination. This is fun.

glockmail
01-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Mister Ed's. :laugh:

KitchenKitten99
01-10-2014, 11:13 AM
The suggestions are all pretty good, some funny! I'm sure I will come up with something soon.

Our insurance agent was out yesterday to get more details and get pics of everything, and for me to sign paperwork on the policy.

Of course she needed a 'company name' for it. :rolleyes: I'll have to call her in the next couple days with one. Thanks for all your help so far!

aboutime
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
The suggestions are all pretty good, some funny! I'm sure I will come up with something soon.

Our insurance agent was out yesterday to get more details and get pics of everything, and for me to sign paperwork on the policy.

Of course she needed a 'company name' for it. :rolleyes: I'll have to call her in the next couple days with one. Thanks for all your help so far!

KitchenKitten. LATE suggestion. How bout "Diamond Point" since you are at the top of a hill????

Abbey Marie
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Back in the Saddle Stables (BITS for short)

Trinity
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Simplicity Stables

KitchenKitten99
01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Back in the Saddle Stables (BITS for short)

I like that one. A play on words/acronyms.