PDA

View Full Version : How much for brake caliper?

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
I brought truck in for some maintenance this morning: tire pressure light on, oil change & front rotor replacement. They called and said that one of the calipers is "frozen" and needs replacing. I'm afraid of how much it's going to cost me to have both rotors replaced & now caliper. If you replace one, should the other be replaced? I don't know much about cars/trucks. :dunno:

fj1200
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I brought truck in for some maintenance this morning: tire pressure light on, oil change & front rotor replacement. They called and said that one of the calipers is "frozen" and needs replacing. I'm afraid of how much it's going to cost me to have both rotors replaced & now caliper. If you replace one, should the other be replaced? I don't know much about cars/trucks. :dunno:

Rotor replacement is maintenance? Changing pads and maybe turning the rotors is maintenance. I remember calipers on my old car, 20 years ago, were a pain and replacing both was probably the right thing to do; I think I ended up replacing both eventually. If you trust them to be correct and are going to keep the truck you might as well bite the bullet. I think I saw $300 to replace the pair when I googled a minute ago, YMMV.

tailfins
01-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Parts are cheap; labor is expensive. Just remove everything down to the spindle and replace yourself. It's an easy job if you replace everything, pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, brake drum. Stripping the whole brake system yourself and replacing yourself is cheaper than paying someone to do detailed brake work.

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Rotor replacement is maintenance? Changing pads and maybe turning the rotors is maintenance. I remember calipers on my old car, 20 years ago, were a pain and replacing both was probably the right thing to do; I think I ended up replacing both eventually. If you trust them to be correct and are going to keep the truck you might as well bite the bullet. I think I saw $300 to replace the pair when I googled a minute ago, YMMV.

Well, maybe I mis-worded that! But yeah, when I hit the brakes to slow down, the car starts to shake. My brother checked it out and said it was because the rotors were warped. Had them done on a machine once where they shaved them, so now I just want them replaced.

Parts are cheap; labor is expensive. Just remove everything down to the spindle and replace yourself. It's an easy job if you replace everything, pads, rotors, calipers, hoses, brake drum. Stripping the whole brake system and replace is cheaper than having detailed brake work done.

Too late now, truck has been on lift for a few hours already, but they are busy. Besides, I have no way to lift the truck properly and safely, and it's effing cold out! LOL

fj1200
01-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Well, maybe I mis-worded that! But yeah, when I hit the brakes to slow down, the car starts to shake. My brother checked it out and said it was because the rotors were warped. Had them done on a machine once where they shaved them, so now I just want them replaced.

Gotcha, tf is probably right. Besides, you love your truck. :ssex:

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Gotcha, tf is probably right. Besides, you love your truck. :ssex:

tf = the fucker? LOL at least that's my first guess, and it does fit, at least that's what I call him. I'm not saying I will toss any amount into the truck, but I do love her. 10 years old now and not even 75k on her yet. Extremely well maintained. I need to get it detailed though as there's only so much you'll get with a regular wash and the quick vacuum they do.

Nukeman
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I brought truck in for some maintenance this morning: tire pressure light on, oil change & front rotor replacement. They called and said that one of the calipers is "frozen" and needs replacing. I'm afraid of how much it's going to cost me to have both rotors replaced & now caliper. If you replace one, should the other be replaced? I don't know much about cars/trucks. :dunno:What type of truck? and is it 4 wheel?

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 11:52 AM
What type of truck? and is it 4 wheel?

2004 Toyota 4Runner, and has 4 wheel. I know when I needed a tire replaced that he recommended I change both sides. I'm assuming this applies to calipers too, because of the 4 wheel somehow? Maybe he is doing both. I'm a dumbass, I just know he said he found one of them "frozen" and it needs to be replaced.

Nukeman
01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
2004 Toyota 4Runner, and has 4 wheel. I know when I needed a tire replaced that he recommended I change both sides. I'm assuming this applies to calipers too, because of the 4 wheel somehow? Maybe he is doing both. I'm a dumbass, I just know he said he found one of them "frozen" and it needs to be replaced.
Here is a great site I always use for parts I put up the caliper for your vehicle.. Give you an idea of the prices and what the range..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1428881,parttype,1704

Nukeman
01-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Here is a great site I always use for parts I put up the caliper for your vehicle.. Give you an idea of the prices and what the range..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1428881,parttype,1704

If the shop does it for you be sure they give you CREDIT for the core!!!!!!!!

jimnyc
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
For parts they only charged me cost (supposedly)

2 front rotors - 2 x $51 = $102
2 front pads - $51
2 front brake calipers - $220

and then 2.5 hours @ $64 for labor, for another $162.50

aboutime
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Jim. Nowadays. Owning any modern vehicle is much like that old saying about owning a boat.

If you've ever heard it. It applies to the replacement, repair, and labor on four wheel vehicles like it did for boats....."A BOAT....IS A HOLE IN THE WATER...YOU THROW MONEY INTO".

Same applies for our trucks, cars, jeeps...and soon....Bicycles as well.

KitchenKitten99
01-08-2014, 11:22 PM

2 front pads - $51

That's not bad considering new york dollars are higher than MN.

if you'd like to spring for half on a RT ticket to NY, I'd be happy to do your brakes for you. I'd just need help with loosening and tightening bolts. I did my brakes, rotors, calipers, on both my front wheels (car up on jackstands to down on ground again) 2hrs, 45mins. NBD...

glockmail
01-09-2014, 07:14 AM

2 front pads - $51

you got a deal

Jeff
01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
you got a deal

Sure looks that way, the last time I did the job myself it almost cost that much. Jim it is nice to know people :thumb:

jimnyc
01-09-2014, 08:55 AM
I'm glad the pricing was a good deal. But I did have to make a return visit this morning, although not that big of a deal. I noticed last night that I had to push down further on the brake in order to have it engage. But when I pumped them they engaged higher. Took them about 10 minutes this morning to bleed out the rest of the air and it's back to normal. :)

glockmail
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
You've found a good honest shop. They need to start charging more.

Abbey Marie
01-09-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm glad the pricing was a good deal. But I did have to make a return visit this morning, although not that big of a deal. I noticed last night that I had to push down further on the brake in order to have it engage. But when I pumped them they engaged higher. Took them about 10 minutes this morning to bleed out the rest of the air and it's back to normal. :)

That has happened to me, and I had no idea that I could just take it back and have it adjusted. Great info, Jim.

fj1200
01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I noticed last night that I had to push down further on the brake in order to have it engage.

Apparently there wasn't enough cash in the unmarked envelope that I slipped them. :eek:

:poke:

jimnyc
01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
You've found a good honest shop. They need to start charging more.

Well, they normally do. He backed off the labor to begin with, and they usually mark up the parts a LOT. So what I paid $630 whatever for, probably would have normally been like $850 or so.

That has happened to me, and I had no idea that I could just take it back and have it adjusted. Great info, Jim.

Yeah, an easy fix. But not good of there is a LOT of air in there, as then the pedal might very well just drop to the floor when you hit the brakes! I remember doing this like 30 years ago when my Dad changed the master cylinder in my car. All I really did was sit in the car and hit the brakes 8,000 times while he cleared the lines.

Apparently there wasn't enough cash in the unmarked envelope that I slipped them. :eek:

:poke:

I knew you hated me, you dirty rotten bastard!! I thought maybe it was the wifey trying to have me eliminated!! :beer:

gabosaurus
01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Only on a board dominated by males would a thread about brake calipers stretch past one page. Women would just yell to their SO: "Something is wrong with my car. Go have it fixed!"
Of course, this same topic on a female dominated board would be "How do I sabotage my lousy ex-boyfriend's brake calipers?" :cool:

jimnyc
01-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Only on a board dominated by males would a thread about brake calipers stretch past one page. Women would just yell to their SO: "Something is wrong with my car. Go have it fixed!"
Of course, this same topic on a female dominated board would be "How do I sabotage my lousy ex-boyfriend's brake calipers?" :cool:

I know quite a few women who could run circles around men in the automotive department. In just this thread I am guessing that KK would do just that to me. And I think getting advice about repairs and costs is something that could be valuable to anyone with a vehicle, not just a particular sex.

glockmail
01-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Gabs you're such a sexist and a dumbass.

gabosaurus
01-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Gabs you're such a sexist and a dumbass.

Dealing with guys like you makes women behave the way they do. I am guessing you will find out eventually. :cool:

glockmail
01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Dealing with guys like you makes women behave the way they do. I am guessing you will find out eventually. :cool:
Sorry gabs but when I find a pos like you I just move around it.

aboutime
01-10-2014, 07:08 PM

gabs. Where you constantly go wrong is. Most men...like myself, and other members here. Know the difference between Real Women, Young Ladies, and Honest Females, and those who pretend to be members of the feminine gender who use STREET LANGUAGE, STREET THOUGHTS, and Just plain STREET STUPIDITY...coming here...hoping you will fool all of us.
Thank you for showing us the DIFFERENCES...first hand.

KitchenKitten99
01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
I know quite a few women who could run circles around men in the automotive department. In just this thread I am guessing that KK would do just that to me. And I think getting advice about repairs and costs is something that could be valuable to anyone with a vehicle, not just a particular sex.

I was taught to do the basic and more-than-basic repairs and maintenance on my cars because I may not always have the income to pay someone nor someone in my life to do it for me.

My city-boy husband is pretty useless when it comes to car repairs. He is my 'muscle' and tool-bitch when I do car stuff.