PDA

View Full Version : 3 y/o climbs on Daddy's Truck - and goes for ride. wow.

darin
06-15-2007, 04:16 PM
WOW - this breaks my heart! The poor Dad, ya know?

Video report:

http://www.kirotv.com/video/13510109/index.html

Text

Little Christa Whitlow survived a wild ride Tuesday.

Christa, 3, thought it would be fun to climb on the camper top of her father's pickup truck without telling him and ride along as he went on an errand Tuesday afternoon.

Five miles later, after silently clinging to the Dodge Dakota's luggage rack during a curvy, bumpy ride at speeds approaching 50 mph, Christa got tired and let go.

Dressed only in a pink "onesy," she fell some five feet from the moving truck to the blacktop on Jim Hood Road, getting a severe case of road rash. A passing motorist saw her fall and stopped, as her father, oblivious that she had been gripping the truck's luggage rack, motored on.

It would be several nerve-racking hours later that Carey Whitlow and wife Colleen learned what happened and were reunited with their bandaged daughter in a hospital room.

"I asked her, 'Was it fun?' And she said, 'Yeah, it was fun,'" Whitlow said. "I asked her why she let go, and she said, 'I got tired.'"

Whitlow, a social studies teacher at Chestatee High School, said the fact his daughter survived the wild ride with no injuries beyond the abrasions is nothing short of miraculous.

"God had a hand on Christa," he said. "I had to be going 40, 45 mph, at least."

On Wednesday, a full day after the scary episode, Whitlow remained shaken up and guilt-ridden. He said his wife, colleagues, family and church members have been supportive.

"I am not healed from this yet, and it will probably take me longer than it will Christa," he said.

Kenneth Chambers, 19, said he was driving his Pontiac Sunbird southeast on Jim Hood Road near Helton Road shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday when he met Whitlow's truck and saw what he described as a "baby that fell onto the road and started rolling."

"She about got hit by another car," that swerved and continued on, Chambers said.

"After that, she got up and started chasing after the truck."

Chambers turned his car around, stopped and ran to help. He tried his best to calm the girl and clean the blood from her badly-scraped body while he and his brother-in-law waited for an ambulance to arrive.

"It tore me up pretty bad seeing that," he said.

more:

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20070614/localnews/179140.shtml

Kathianne
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Video report:

Text

Wow, just wow! I thought it bad when my then 2 year old, pulled a kitchen chair to the counter, climbed a cabinet to the top of the fridge, and opened the cabinet above the fridge and got the Flintstone vitamins. He and his sister ate the whole bottle, never mind the 'child proof cap.' Trip to the emergency room, charcoal icky stuff and pumped tummies. That was the most 'wild' thing that the kids planned. Plenty of unplanned stitches and broken bones, with two wild boys.

Abbey Marie
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I once left my favoirte sunglasses on top of my car and drove off. It took awhile to get over that.

nevadamedic
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Video report:

Text

I just watched the dad on CNN. He was beside himself, it was really heartbreaking. They also showed the little girl in her hospital bed with her toys.

5stringJeff
06-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I would be an uncontrollable wreck if this happened to me.