PDA

View Full Version : Maine governor hammers away at welfare fraud

Jeff
01-13-2014, 07:55 AM
I think every state in the country ought to be looking into this, I mean if these cards are being used to buy alcohol and or tobacco then they don't really need the help . Even if these waste only account for a small fraction ( I personally feel there is more fraud then we are seeing ) we need to shut the fraud down and let the money go to those that are truly trying to rebuild rather than pay families that are born into the lifestyle.

AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine Gov. Paul LePage plans to introduce legislation to address welfare fraud that he cited in Electronic Benefit Transfer card transactions made at liquor stores, smoke shops and strip clubs.LePage introduced data last week that indicate there were 3,000 Electronic Benefit Transfer card transactions made at shops in Maine that primarily sell cigarettes and tobacco products between 2011 and November 2013. Another 650 transactions were made at places that primarily sell alcohol.
Critics say that the waste cited by the governor accounts for only a tiny fraction of benefits.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/national/northeast/2014/01/maine_governor_hammers_away_at_welfare_fraud