PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, please

Abbey Marie
01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
We have a relative whose 20-something son has a very good friend (same age) who practically lives at their home (His parents divorced, and he prefers to be at my relatives' home). This friend is very interested in guns and knives. His current read is a book about efficiently loading some sort of gun. Anyway, we visited with them a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed a gun that looked "kind of like this" on his belt:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/12/07/704373_01_fn_fns_9_semi_auto_handgun_9mm_640.jpg

I only saw it for the briefest of seconds, though. It was definitely silver, and the side of the barrel (?) seemed "open" to me. So, I am far from being able to identify it, but I know it wasn't a revolver-type gun. He was wearing it while we played a family game. He wears a gun at all times in their house. (Btw, they live in a very nice and very low-crime neighborhood).

Anyway, the thing that especially surprised and concerned me was that he had it on his belt/hip, but I could see the whole gun. In other words, it wasn't in any kind of holster. This same boy once shot himself by accident, and claimed the safety malfunctioned.

I have also seen the same young man practice knife-throwing while we were at a party with several young children. He also seems to have a particular interest in studying German history, lol.

I know that many of you have guns and are quite comfortable with them, but should we be worried to be around him?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
We have a relative whose 20-something son has a very good friend (same age) who practically lives at their home (His parents divorced, and he prefers to be at my relatives' home). This friend is very interested in guns and knives. His current read is a book about efficiently loading some sort of gun. Anyway, we visited with them a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed a gun that looked "kind of like this" on his belt:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/12/07/704373_01_fn_fns_9_semi_auto_handgun_9mm_640.jpg

I only saw it for the briefest of seconds, though. It was definitely silver, and the side of the barrel (?) seemed "open" to me. So, I am far from being able to identify it, but I know it wasn't a revolver-type gun. He was wearing it while we played a family game. He wears a gun at all times in their house. (Btw, they live in a very nice and very low-crime neighborhood).

Anyway, the thing that especially surprised and concerned me was that he had it on his belt/hip, but I could see the whole gun. In other words, it wasn't in any kind of holster. This same boy once shot himself by accident, and claimed the safety malfunctioned.

I have also seen the same young man practice knife-throwing while we were at a party with several young children. He also seems to have a particular interest in studying German history, lol.

I know that many of you have guns and are quite comfortable with them, but should we be worried to be around him? To me what you described was a kid that had not been taught how to handle guns safely nor the proper respect for such a dangerous weapon. His practicing around kids should be a huge red flag. As his carry the gun not in a holster. With just the info you provided I'd say there is a problem. My take is I'd disarm him before I had a talk with him. Depending on how the talk went I'd make decision to either let him stay(slim chance) or send him packing. Too much was abnormal for me not to think he is a danger. I was once a wild young buck myself but never carried a gun or did dangerous practicing around kids. Seems to me to be a very serious matter. by the way I had a gun very similar to your description it was the Springfield Arms XD. Was on par with a Glock ,slightly lower than a Kimber. Damn nice gun, sold it because a 300 dollar profit was to much for me to pass up!--Tyr

hjmick
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Yes.

aboutime
01-13-2014, 08:10 PM
If I said NO, after fully supporting the 2nd amendment. I would be a hypocrite.
Obviously...or so it seems. The young man has a license, and is permitted to carry.
Unless those details have been omitted.

So....YES.

Jeff
01-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Nice gun, it looks like the M&P model ( military and police ) very good gun and if the kid had done his homework and bought this gun and got his permit and everything he needs to legally own it he may carry it any way he wants in his own home ( that doesn't mean he was doing things right, I go with Tyr here and believe he needs more education on the subject ) but most that have a gun for the wrong reason ( or just have a illegally owned gun ) don't go out and buy a expensive gun ( no the M&P isn't as costly as say a Kimber but if you are carrying illegal you can find many guns that would be a lot cheaper )

Gaffer
01-14-2014, 09:57 AM
YES. Worry a lot.

glockmail
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, worry.

My son turned 21 a few months back and I bought him a Glock pistol, which is specifically designed for defense and shoots .40 caliber rounds. I also got the .22 Ruger target pistol that was locked in the safe and gave it to him. He's a grown man so now it's his turn to keep his stuff locked up and safe.

He doesn't walk around with these things in his pocket; they are hidden in drawers and cases upstairs somewhere. If he shows one to someone he removes the magazine, checks the chamber, sets the safety (in the case of the Ruger) and cycles the chamber so it locks in the open position (in the case of the Glock). All these things I've taught him, much more he's learned on his own.

I bought his younger sister a handgun for her 18th but she has yet to clean it and fire it. He'll be the one instructing her on its use because frankly, he's proven himself more meticulous about guns than I am.

I'm telling you this because this is the type of behavior that is considered normal and healthy, not carrying without a holster when playing family games.

tailfins
01-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Yes, worry.

My son turned 21 a few months back and I bought him a Glock pistol, which is specifically designed for defense and shoots .40 caliber rounds. I also got the .22 Ruger target pistol that was locked in the safe and gave it to him. He's a grown man so now it's his turn to keep his stuff locked up and safe.

He doesn't walk around with these things in his pocket; they are hidden in drawers and cases upstairs somewhere. If he shows one to someone he removes the magazine, checks the chamber, sets the safety (in the case of the Ruger) and cycles the chamber so it locks in the open position (in the case of the Glock). All these things I've taught him, much more he's learned on his own.

I bought his younger sister a handgun for her 18th but she has yet to clean it and fire it. He'll be the one instructing her on its use because frankly, he's proven himself more meticulous about guns than I am.

I'm telling you this because this is the type of behavior that is considered normal and healthy, not carrying without a holster when playing family games.

All of the above are things a supervised indoor shooting range enforces continuously. Anyone who doesn't follow the known basic rules is like someone who drives and refuses to ever stop for red traffic lights.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes, worry.

Those are things I thought, but wasn't sure about.

aboutime
01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
YES. Worry a lot.

Gaffer. In this manner. I agree. YES. Those who think they can break the law, injure, or kill fellow human beings during acts of violence...SHOULD be Worried that someone LIKE HIM, might get in their way, and TERMINATE...their HEALTH RECORDS.

Gaffer
01-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Gaffer. In this manner. I agree. YES. Those who think they can break the law, injure, or kill fellow human beings during acts of violence...SHOULD be Worried that someone LIKE HIM, might get in their way, and TERMINATE...their HEALTH RECORDS.

Someone like him is likely to kill or injure himself or someone else through improper handling of a weapon. As I see it he likes to intimidate others with the gun. That alone makes him dangerous to be around. Sitting around with friends and family does not require having a gun tucked in your pants.

aboutime
01-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Someone like him is likely to kill or injure himself or someone else through improper handling of a weapon. As I see it he likes to intimidate others with the gun. That alone makes him dangerous to be around. Sitting around with friends and family does not require having a gun tucked in your pants.

Totally agree with you Gaffer. Now. If we could find someone elite enough to convince all of the Ghetto, Gang members in cities across the nation to recognize that SAME THING.

Trigg
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM

I know that many of you have guns and are quite comfortable with them, but should we be worried to be around him?

Yep, I'd worry.

A couple of red flags.

1. Accidentally shooting himself.

2. Inappropriate behavior around children.

People who've been raised around guns should know basic safety RULES. They should be showing younger children that guns and knives are weapons not to be used to "show off". If a 20yr old hasn't learn that than IMHO they shouldn't be allowed to have the weapons let alone be around younger children with said weapon