PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Won't wait for legislation to advance 2014 priorities

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-14-2014, 07:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-won-39-t-wait-legislation-advance-2014-162325560.html
Obama: Won't wait for legislation to advance 2014 priorities

Reuters
By Jeff Mason
3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Tuesday he would not wait for Congress to pass legislation to advance his policy priorities this year and said he was "getting close" to finishing a review of U.S. surveillance practices - to be unveiled on Friday.

Obama, speaking to reporters during a cabinet meeting at the White House, foreshadowed his upcoming State of the Union address and what appeared to be a new messaging strategy by emphasizing his ability to take executive actions without approval from lawmakers.

"We are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we're providing Americans the kind of help that they need," he said.

"I've got a pen, and I've got a phone. And I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions ... and I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life," he said.

Obama began last year with high hopes of making progress on gun control, immigration reform, and other issues after giving an inaugural address that rallied his base and set an aggressive tone for his second term.

But the year concluded with few legislative achievements. His gun control efforts largely failed and an immigration reform bill passed in the Senate but stalled in the House of Representatives.

White House officials, while referring to 2014 as a "year of action," have already played down the prospect of getting a lot of laws passed and told reporters that they would not measure the year's success by the administration's list of legislative victories.

Obama again listed immigration reform as a priority for the year. He will need Congress to turn his goals on that issue into law. The president also emphasized his goal of getting the U.S. economy to recover faster.

"The message to my cabinet - and that will be amplified in our State of the Union - is that we need all hands on deck to build on the recovery that we're already seeing. The economy is improving, but it could be improving even faster," Obama said.

"And I am absolutely confident that in 2014, if we're all working in the same direction and not worrying so much about political points but worrying much more about getting the job done, that we can see a lot of improvement this year," he said. This maggot announces he will usurp the third branch of our government as if its not damn treason. Executive Orders are not an authorized replacement for Congress passing laws! I told you people before the dictator will use Executive Orders TO SEIZE MORE AND MORE POWER! NOW HE DOES SO OPENLY AND EXPECTS AND GETS PRAISE FOR IT TOO! IT IS NOTHING LESS THAN TREASON! WHY DO YOU THINK HE ANNOUNCES IT BEFORE HE STARTS IT? BECAUSE ITS TREASON AND HE WANTS TO SEE HOW MUCH PUSHBACK HE WILL GET BEFORE DOING IT ON THIS GREAT SCALE! When and if he sees virtually none that is the go ahead at full speed signal. What the hell is it going to take for Congress to impeach him? It''ll be too damn late after he disbands them.. --Tyr

Missileman
01-14-2014, 08:30 PM
This maggot announces he will usurp the third branch of our government as if its not damn treason. Executive Orders are not an authorized replacement for Congress passing laws! I told you people before the dictator will use Executive Orders TO SEIZE MORE AND MORE POWER! NOW HE DOES SO OPENLY AND EXPECTS AND GETS PRAISE FOR IT TOO! IT IS NOTHING LESS THAN TREASON! WHY DO YOU THINK HE ANNOUNCES IT BEFORE HE STARTS IT? BECAUSE ITS TREASON AND HE WANTS TO SEE HOW MUCH PUSHBACK HE WILL GET BEFORE DOING IT ON THIS GREAT SCALE! When and if he sees virtually none that is the go ahead at full speed signal. What the hell is it going to take for Congress to impeach him? It''ll be too damn late after he disbands them.. --Tyr

If the economy is improving, why are they looking to extend unemployment benefits AGAIN?

aboutime
01-14-2014, 08:59 PM
If the economy is improving, why are they looking to extend unemployment benefits AGAIN?

Missileman. Great question. But then. Most of us already know. Obama's definition of improving the economy is HIGHER UNEMPLOYMENT, fewer people looking for work, and more of the uneducated desperate to be endlessly dependent upon a BROKE government who issues http://icansayit.com/images/monopoly.jpgto the dumbest among us who see them as OBAMABUCKS.