PDA

View Full Version : N.S.A. Devises Radio Pathway Into Computers

jimnyc
01-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Oh boy, is Rev around today? :) Even if they claim that this is intended for foreign spying, I'm not convinced, after the amount of news that has come out in the past year about the NSA, that they wouldn't be using this somehow within our borders as well.

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency has implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world that allows the United States to conduct surveillance on those machines and can also create a digital highway for launching cyberattacks.

While most of the software is inserted by gaining access to computer networks, the N.S.A. has increasingly made use of a secret technology that enables it to enter and alter data in computers even if they are not connected to the Internet, according to N.S.A. documents, computer experts and American officials.

The technology, which the agency has used since at least 2008, relies on a covert channel of radio waves that can be transmitted from tiny circuit boards and USB cards inserted surreptitiously into the computers. In some cases, they are sent to a briefcase-size relay station that intelligence agencies can set up miles away from the target.

The radio frequency technology has helped solve one of the biggest problems facing American intelligence agencies for years: getting into computers that adversaries, and some American partners, have tried to make impervious to spying or cyberattack. In most cases, the radio frequency hardware must be physically inserted by a spy, a manufacturer or an unwitting user.

The N.S.A. calls its efforts more an act of “active defense” against foreign cyberattacks than a tool to go on the offensive. But when Chinese attackers place similar software on the computer systems of American companies or government agencies, American officials have protested, often at the presidential level.

Among the most frequent targets of the N.S.A. and its Pentagon partner, United States Cyber Command, have been units of the Chinese Army, which the United States has accused of launching regular digital probes and attacks on American industrial and military targets, usually to steal secrets or intellectual property. But the program, code-named Quantum, has also been successful in inserting software into Russian military networks and systems used by the Mexican police and drug cartels, trade institutions inside the European Union, and sometime partners against terrorism like Saudi Arabia, India and Pakistan, according to officials and an N.S.A. map that indicates sites of what the agency calls “computer network exploitation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/15/us/nsa-effort-pries-open-computers-not-connected-to-internet.html?hp

AND

http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-house/nsa-unleashed-obama-tells-public-trust-me-20140115

aboutime
01-15-2014, 04:29 PM
There really is NOTHING NEW about how the NSA can track computer users, or their locations. The entire INTERNET is nothing more than a SPIDER-WEB of interconnected hubs...server sights that route Internet users according to their searches, and the websites they are trying to see.

If anyone should be worried about something. How bout this?

DO YOU OWN A CELL PHONE?

If so. Most cell phones have a GPS kind of chip installed that enable police, and emergency services to LOCATE you...whenever they want.

The NSA is just doing what they have been able to do for many years...keeping up with modern technology.
AND THAT'S THE TRUTH.

revelarts
01-15-2014, 04:32 PM
http://politics.mediapundit.net/images/obama-email-spying-meme.jpg

revelarts
01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ot5rmlAbv34/Ubx8w-dysZI/AAAAAAAAP3c/gqTxt_R2Ifg/s1600/NSA.jpg

aboutime
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
rev. Now that you got all of that stuff out of your system, with the cartoons and no human content. Would you like to now address the reality...rather than your endless conspiracy crap?

I dislike Obama, and his intentions everyone is calling INVASION of our privacy. But being pragmatic, and realistic is more important to me.

There really is NOTHING new, and WE are not threatened any more today than we were on SEPTEMBER 10TH, 2001.

For so many people. The SKY will always be FALLING.

If you are interested in seeing how threatened you really are.
Then you shouldn't mind watching this video.

http://youtu.be/Js7A6Liaacw

revelarts
01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
rev. Now that you got all of that stuff out of your system, with the cartoons and no human content. Would you like to now address the reality...rather than your endless conspiracy crap?

I dislike Obama, and his intentions everyone is calling INVASION of our privacy. But being pragmatic, and realistic is more important to me.

There really is NOTHING new, and WE are not threatened any more today than we were on SEPTEMBER 10TH, 2001.

For so many people. The SKY will always be FALLING.

If you are interested in seeing how threatened you really are.
Then you shouldn't mind watching this video.

Sooooo Just because you think "they've been doing all along" it's OK to break the 4th and other amendments?

i just want to clear AT.

Love the progression though.
"Conspiracy" Guy: The government is spying on all of phone calls! Look at the evidence here here and here. It's unconstitutional.

so called Rational Citizen: YOUR CRAZY!! chortle chortle the gov't wouldn't and isn't doing it. that's why we have a Constitution nutball.
Plus that's not REAL evidence, why didn't the sources i like tell me? hmmmmm?

Main stream press and whistle blowers: the gov't is spying on all of our phone calls!

so called Rational Citizen: Welllll We ALWAYS knew it was going on anyway. it's just the way it is, nothing to worry about.
it's for our own good anywho.

"Conspiracy" Guy: It's unconstitutional and can be used against you in various ways look here here and here.

so called Rational Citizen: The Sky is not falling you KOOK! they can't or won't really do anything with it. it's just the way it is relax.

aboutime
01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Sooooo Just because you think "they've been doing all along" it's OK to break the 4th and other amendments?

i just want to clear AT.

Love the progression though.
"Conspiracy" Guy: The government is spying on all of phone calls! Look at the evidence here here and here. It's unconstitutional.

so called Rational Citizen: YOUR CRAZY!! chortle chortle the gov't wouldn't and isn't doing it. that's why we have a Constitution nutball.
Plus that's not REAL evidence, why didn't the sources i like tell me? hmmmmm?

Main stream press and whistle blowers: the gov't is spying on all of our phone calls!

so called Rational Citizen: Welllll We ALWAYS knew it was going on anyway. it's just the way it is, nothing to worry about.
it's for our own good anywho.

"Conspiracy" Guy: It's unconstitutional and can be used against you in various ways look here here and here.

so called Rational Citizen: The Sky is not falling you KOOK! they can't or won't really do anything with it. it's just the way it is relax.

Okay rev. Now's your chance. Show me, and everyone else HOW the NSA has broken YOUR 4th amendment rights.
You know everything. Tell me.

By the way. The following quote comes from the report
"No Domestic Use Seen
There is no evidence that the N.S.A. has implanted its software or used its radio frequency technology inside the United States. While refusing to comment on the scope of the Quantum program, the N.S.A. said its actions were not comparable to China’s.
“N.S.A.'s activities are focused and specifically deployed against — and only against — valid foreign intelligence targets in response to intelligence requirements,” Vanee Vines, an agency spokeswoman, said in a statement. “We do not use foreign intelligence capabilities to steal the trade secrets of foreign companies on behalf of — or give intelligence we collect to — U.S. companies to enhance their international competitiveness or increase their bottom line.”

revelarts
01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Okay rev. Now's your chance. Show me, and everyone else HOW the NSA has broken YOUR 4th amendment rights.
You know everything. Tell me.

"No Domestic Use Seen
There is no evidence that the N.S.A. has implanted its software or used its radio frequency technology inside the United States. While refusing to comment on the scope of the Quantum program, the N.S.A. said its actions were not comparable to China’s.
“N.S.A.'s activities are focused and specifically deployed against — and only against — valid foreign intelligence targets in response to intelligence requirements,” Vanee Vines, an agency spokeswoman, said in a statement. “We do not use foreign intelligence capabilities to steal the trade secrets of foreign companies on behalf of — or give intelligence we collect to — U.S. companies to enhance their international competitiveness or increase their bottom line.”

I've been posting on this for a few years now AT if you really want the details check my older post.
but in a sentence. The NSA has built one known site in Utah, that's operational now which is capturing all internet communication, including my e-mail, WITHOUT warrants or probably cause. my and YOUR 4th amendment rights violated, clear as day.

does that satisfy you? i doubt it will.
Seems your just pissed at me for some reason.
You should be pissed at the feds.

aboutime
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I've been posting on this for a few years now AT if you really want the details check my older post.
but in a sentence. The NSA has built one known site in Utah, that's operational now which is capturing all internet communication, including my e-mail, WITHOUT warrants or probably cause. my and YOUR 4th amendment rights violated, clear as day.

does that satisfy you? i doubt it will.
Seems your just pissed at me for some reason.
You should be pissed at the feds.

Not in the slightest rev. You are ducking my question by referring me to your past posts.
I asked a simple question. If you don't feel like answering it honestly, without pointing me somewhere else. That tells me..YOU have not been affected, nor your 4th amendment rights.
COULD'A, WOULD'A, SHOULD'A doesn't mean it has happened.
Just show me the proof. That's all I asked.
As for my own 4th amendment rights. I am not worried, nor do I feel threatened.
I have been working on, and with computers since they were borne in the military, back in the 80's.
I know their limitations, and capabilities. And so far. I still enjoy all of my 4th amendment, without being threatened.
Someone having access to the INTERNET began long ago. It's not something new.

Have you ever heard the warning? "What you say, and do on the Internet...never goes away?"

It is true.

revelarts
01-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Not in the slightest rev. You are ducking my question by referring me to your past posts.
I asked a simple question. If you don't feel like answering it honestly, without pointing me somewhere else. That tells me..YOU have not been affected, nor your 4th amendment rights.
COULD'A, WOULD'A, SHOULD'A doesn't mean it has happened.
Just show me the proof. That's all I asked.
As for my own 4th amendment rights. I am not worried, nor do I feel threatened.
I have been working on, and with computers since they were borne in the military, back in the 80's.
I know their limitations, and capabilities. And so far. I still enjoy all of my 4th amendment, without being threatened.
Someone having access to the INTERNET began long ago. It's not something new.

Have you ever heard the warning? "What you say, and do on the Internet...never goes away?"

It is true.

Your not even reading what i wrote in this thread AT.

But I'm glad you feel comfortable. g'night

revelarts
01-15-2014, 06:23 PM
"No Domestic Use Seen

but BTW AT, the gov't is lying.

“We've heard over and over again the assertion that 54 terrorist plots were thwarted ... That's plainly wrong, but we still get it in letters to members of Congress, we get it in statements.”

— Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7qZygn1ukNc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9hgqdhdGhtk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.forbes.com/sites/seanlawson/2013/06/06/did-intelligence-officials-lie-to-congress-about-nsa-domestic-spying/

aboutime
01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
but BTW AT, the gov't is lying.

“We've heard over and over again the assertion that 54 terrorist plots were thwarted ... That's plainly wrong, but we still get it in letters to members of Congress, we get it in statements.”

— Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7qZygn1ukNc?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9hgqdhdGhtk?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

http://www.forbes.com/sites/seanlawson/2013/06/06/did-intelligence-officials-lie-to-congress-about-nsa-domestic-spying/

Sorry rev. Still not buying it. I asked "YOU" what 4th amendment rights have you lost, been taken away, or threatened "YOU" with the loss.
I could find thousands of links where thousands of BLOGS, Websites, Opinion pages say exactly what you do. But...that is not SUBSTANTIAL, DOCUMENTED, VERIFIABLE Proof that "YOU" have suffered any kind of 4th amendment losses.

We can go on, and on, and never agree. But...I asked ONE simple question. You FAILED to answer it.