PDA

View Full Version : Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-15-2014, 07:01 PM
http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/jackson-gun-owner-unarmed-unwelcome-in-maryland-20140112/

John Filippidis, showing the pistol he sometimes carries in his pocket, recounted a story of being stopped by a Maryland police officer recently.

By Tom Jackson | Tribune Staff
Published: January 12, 2014 | Updated: January 14, 2014 at 06:11 PM

HUDSON – John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

“I wanted to be able to defend my family, my household and the ground I’m standing on. But I’m not looking for any trouble.”

Filippidis keeps his gun — a palm-sized Kel-Tec .38 semiautomatic, barely larger than a smartphone in a protective case — in one of two places, always: in the right-hand pocket of his jeans, or in the safe at home.

“There are kids in the house,” Filippidis says, “and I don’t think they’d ever bother with it, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

He’s not looking for any trouble, after all.

Trouble, in fact, was the last thing on his mind a few weeks back as the Filippidises packed for Christmas and a family wedding in Woodridge, N.J., so he left the pistol locked in the safe. The state of Florida might have codified his Second Amendment rights, but he knew he’d be passing through states where recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms have been met by hostile legislatures and local officials.

“I know the laws and I know the rules,” Filippidis says. There are, after all, ways gun owners can travel legally with firearms through hostile states. “But I just think it’s a better idea to leave it home.”

So there the Filippidises were on New Year’s Eve eve, southbound on Interstate 95 — John; wife Kally (his Gulf High sweetheart); the 17-year-old twins Nasia and Yianni; and 13-year-old Gina in their 2012 Ford Expedition — just barely out of the Fort McHenry Tunnel into Maryland, blissfully unarmed and minding their own business when they noticed they were being bird-dogged by an unmarked patrol car. It flanked them a while, then pulled ahead of them, then fell in behind them.

“Ten minutes he’s behind us,” John says. “We weren’t speeding. In fact, lots of other cars were whizzing past.”

“You know you have a police car behind you, you don’t speed, right?” Kally adds.

Says John, “We keep wondering, is he going to do something?”

Finally the patrol car’s emergency lights come on, and it’s almost a relief. Whatever was going on, they’d be able to get it over with now. The officer — from the Transportation Authority Police, as it turns out, Maryland’s version of the New York-New Jersey Port Authority — strolls up, does the license and registration bit, and returns to his car.

According to Kally and John (but not MTAP, which, pending investigation, could not comment), what happened next went like this:

Ten minutes later he’s back, and he wants John out of the Expedition. Retreating to the space between the SUV and the unmarked car, the officer orders John to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his feet. “You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

Now he’s at the passenger’s window. “Your husband owns a gun,” he says. “Where is it?”

First Kally says, “I don’t know.” Retelling it later she says, “And that’s all I should have said.” Instead, attempting to be helpful, she added, “Maybe in the glove [box]. Maybe in the console. I’m scared of it. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. I might shoot right through my foot.”

The officer came back to John. “You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”

Of course, John couldn’t show him what didn’t exist, but Kally’s failure to corroborate John’s account, the officer would tell them later, was the probable cause that allowed him to summon backup — three marked cars joined the lineup along the I-95 shoulder — and empty the Expedition of riders, luggage, Christmas gifts, laundry bags; to pat down Kally and Yianni; to explore the engine compartment and probe inside door panels; and to separate and isolate the Filippidises in the back seats of the patrol cars.

Ninety minutes later, or maybe it was two hours — “It felt like forever,” Kally says — no weapon found and their possessions repacked, the episode ended ... with the officer writing out a warning.

“All that time, he’s humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John says. “I’ve never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees’ families; I’ve never been in any kind of trouble.”

Face red, eyes shining, John pounds his knees. “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? ... And after all that, he didn’t even write me a ticket.”

Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer’s captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain, John is wondering if he shouldn’t just cancel his CCW license. I tell you how this happens in America now == its the damn Obama America we live in folks. Here is what should happen to the scum that denied this law abiding citizen his civil rights. All police officers involved should be fired immediately, fined a million dollars each and given not less that a 10 year prison sentence without possibility of parole.. They also denied his wife and kids their civil rights. I told you people Obama second term he was going to inspire this type of shat. He launched his second term with his anti-gun crusade and we see the fruits of it now! And still they give no probable cause for stopping him in the first place. You know why? Because when they ran his license plate the National database told them he was a conceal carry permit holder! And that is not illegal. Told you people this was where the nation was headed under Obama's dictatorial reign! The nation destroying bamscum must be stopped .. They do crap like this because they know the bamscum and Holder are with them on it!-Tyr

Missileman
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
I tell you how this happens in America now == its the damn Obama America we live in folks. Here is what should happen to the scum that denied this law abiding citizen his civil rights. All police officers involved should be fired immediately, fined a million dollars each and given not less that a 10 year prison sentence without possibility of parole.. They also denied his wife and kids their civil rights. I told you people Obama second term he was going to inspire this type of shat. He launched his second term with his anti-gun crusade and we see the fruits of it now! And still they give no probable cause for stopping him in the first place. You know why? Because when they ran his license plate the National database told them he was a conceal carry permit holder! And that is not illegal. Told you people this was where the nation was headed under Obama's dictatorial reign! The nation destroying bamscum must be stopped .. They do crap like this because they know the bamscum and Holder are with them on it!-Tyr

Disgusting abuse of a US citizen, but that does seem to be happening more frequently, ironically by those sworn to serve and protect.

NightTrain
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
That cop needs to be fired immediately. That's completely unacceptable.

Jeff
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
This happened to me right here in town, they got me in a speed trap ( as you come over a hill the speed drops from 55 to 45 with no warning ) and yes they got me, but in the back window of my P/U I have a Glock sticker so I watched as the ( young ) cop walked up to my truck ( my kids and wife where also in the truck , we where on our way to the baseball field , the boys had a game ) I watched him place his thumb print on my tailgate and realized where he was going :rolleyes: Sure enough the first thing he said was "I see the Glock sticker do you have any guns on you" I asked if I had done something wrong and the clown tried to get tough and tell me just answer the question so being the guy I am I told him no I don't , Now tell me what I did wrong, his answer was "do I have a carry permit" , at that point I got as ignorant as him and just ignored him, so he told me he was going to search my truck :laugh: I explained to him he wasn't going to do nothing of the sort until he told me what I did wrong and shows me a search warrant ( no a sticker isn't a reason for him to search) well to make a long story short they had the Cop in charge come out and the young police officer got a ear full and I was told to have a nice day but only after the young cop wrote me a speeding ticket but what he didn't know was a police officer I know in town had called on the cell and told me he had called this guy and told him I was OK but the young cop wanted to make a name for himself and told my friend he had all ready started writing so he had to give it to me, so I went on to the ball field where I met my friend who took the ticket and ripped it up :cool: