PDA

View Full Version : Court Diversion

CSM
01-17-2014, 07:36 AM
So, one of my granddaughters was being bullied in school by two or three other girls. Things escalated over a period of months until finally, after being pushed and shoved by one of them, my grandaughter planted a fist in her face. Though my son and his wife tried to talk to school officials MANY times prior to this incident (getting NO response), these same officials decided that legal intervention was required and that my granddaughter needed to enter a program called 'court diversion' (which is essentially the PC version of "therapy") or be expelled. No action was taken against the other girls involved. Anyway, the final session for my granddaughter was yesterday. During that session, the idiot woman behind the desk asks my grandaughter "What would you do if someone hit you in the face?" My granddaughter is too honest for her own good and replied "I would hit her back!" SOOOO.... the idiot behind the desk launches into a PC spiel about how that answer raises a bunch of red flags and that my granddaughter needs to re-think and perhaps start all over with the "court diversion program" etc. She had my granddaughter crying with tears of frustration before finally letting her go.

I wanted to hit that bitch in the face just to see what SHE would do!

The ironic piece of all this is that my granddaughter is so quiet and reserved (seldom talks to anyone she doesn't know) and avoids conflict and confrontation like the plague. She only fought back once these other girls cornered her in the locker room and started pushing and shovng her. It turns out that two of these other girls have been moved from school to school within the city due to "disciplinary and compatability problems" and one has been in and out of juvenile detention for the past two years. By the way, these girls (including my granddaughter) are 15 years old. Another bit of irony is that two of the girls have since been arrested and are awaiting trial for drug possession and assault in a separate incident.

Anyway, I just had to rant.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-17-2014, 06:55 PM
So, one of my granddaughters was being bullied in school by two or three other girls. Things escalated over a period of months until finally, after being pushed and shoved by one of them, my grandaughter planted a fist in her face. Though my son and his wife tried to talk to school officials MANY times prior to this incident (getting NO response), these same officials decided that legal intervention was required and that my granddaughter needed to enter a program called 'court diversion' (which is essentially the PC version of "therapy") or be expelled. No action was taken against the other girls involved. Anyway, the final session for my granddaughter was yesterday. During that session, the idiot woman behind the desk asks my grandaughter "What would you do if someone hit you in the face?" My granddaughter is too honest for her own good and replied "I would hit her back!" SOOOO.... the idiot behind the desk launches into a PC spiel about how that answer raises a bunch of red flags and that my granddaughter needs to re-think and perhaps start all over with the "court diversion program" etc. She had my granddaughter crying with tears of frustration before finally letting her go.

The ironic piece of all this is that my granddaughter is so quiet and reserved (seldom talks to anyone she doesn't know) and avoids conflict and confrontation like the plague. She only fought back once these other girls cornered her in the locker room and started pushing and shovng her. It turns out that two of these other girls have been moved from school to school within the city due to "disciplinary and compatability problems" and one has been in and out of juvenile detention for the past two years. By the way, these girls (including my granddaughter) are 15 years old. Another bit of irony is that two of the girls have since been arrested and are awaiting trial for drug possession and assault in a separate incident.

Anyway, I just had to rant. If that were my granddaughter I would be giving her a huge reward for taking a proper stand. I taught my daughter just that and its served her well all of her 25 years now and she'll tell you that in a heartbeat. You have a great granddaughter in my opinion, first for her desire not to fight but more importantly for her decision that when its time --don't hesitate just do it... -Tyr

jimnyc
01-17-2014, 07:10 PM

Just reading that pisses me off. My son was in a similar situation, continued bullying and kids hitting him with various things. The times he fought back he was punished. The school, counselors and the vice principal were all involved in talks leading up to the events. I don't think it's right that kids solve their problems with fist, but if the schools fail to get involved and help, and the bullying continues, what do they think will happen? These quieter kids will only bend for so long. While Jordan was punished, he wasn't treated as such at home. We used it as a time to teach him what happened and what he learned from it, and what we can do better should stuff like that happen again, but no way was I piling on further punishment. Kids that they have failed, these kids endure further bullying sometimes due to the schools failure to appropriately intervene.

It sucks that your granddaughter was treated like a criminal for doing what the school wouldn't, which was putting a stop to the bullying.

aboutime
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Just reading that pisses me off. My son was in a similar situation, continued bullying and kids hitting him with various things. The times he fought back he was punished. The school, counselors and the vice principal were all involved in talks leading up to the events. I don't think it's right that kids solve their problems with fist, but if the schools fail to get involved and help, and the bullying continues, what do they think will happen? These quieter kids will only bend for so long. While Jordan was punished, he wasn't treated as such at home. We used it as a time to teach him what happened and what he learned from it, and what we can do better should stuff like that happen again, but no way was I piling on further punishment. Kids that they have failed, these kids endure further bullying sometimes due to the schools failure to appropriately intervene.

It sucks that your granddaughter was treated like a criminal for doing what the school wouldn't, which was putting a stop to the bullying.

Jim & CSM. Hard story to read, and feel such anger about. But the sad truth is. Across our country. PC has become the COWARDS reward for not taking responsibility, and not wanting to be accused of any LIBERAL, PROGRESSIVE transgressions...like our Phony, Coward of a President displays in being apologetic, blaming others, and just plain stupidity.
Unfortunately. This is the society of WUSSES, COWARDS, and FEAR MONKEYS...all of whom are so afraid to take responsibility because...EVERYONE WILL GET SUED.
CSM. Just keep showing, teaching, and following the standards you have been using, and dedicate your thinking...through your children, to teach your grandchildren THE PROPER WAYS of living with people who are STUPID.
No other way to put it. But your grand daughter sounds as if she is far more intelligent than the bullies...girls, and boys around her.
No easy remedies for blatant stupidity...based on Political Correctness.
I do wish you, and your grand daughter the wealth of finding that Happy Medium.
Good Luck.
Something I've always reminded myself, and our son's. Hoping they will pass it on to our grand children is "No matter what, or who you come in contact with in life. NEVER let anyone take away, or try to control what you know to be RIGHT".

tailfins
01-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Something seems off here. Diversion implies a conviction is involved. I wonder if your grand daughter or her parents signed something they shouldn't have.

Trinity
01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Something seems off here. Diversion implies a conviction is involved. I wonder if your grand daughter or her parents signed something they shouldn't have.

I'm not sure what state this was in, but in Ohio typically a diversion just means that as long as you complete whatever counseling session the court requires then all charges get dropped.

tailfins
01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure what state this was in, but in Ohio typically a diversion just means that as long as you complete whatever counseling session the court requires then all charges get dropped.

One must be very careful to what one agrees to and the unintended consequences. While it may vary state-to-state it was my understanding that deferred adjudication means there was never a conviction, but diversion means there is technically a conviction or similar admission of guilt, but that conviction gets sealed from public record. One example of this is a Massachusetts CWOF. Some in MA think that agreeing to a CWOF is the end of the matter, when indeed it is not. Here are some aspects of it to illustrate my point:

If you work out a deal (http://www.massduidefenselawyer.com/lawyer-attorney-1564204.html) to receive a CWOF, you are admitting that the prosecution does have enough evidence against you for a reasonable jury to find you guilty of the charged offense.

Although a CWOF may appear as a dismissal on your record, it is never removed from your "Board of Probation" record that is readily accessible to law enforcement. Additionally, if a third party (potential employer, professional licensing board, etc.) performs a full background check, the CWOF may still appear, depending on the level of the check.

Additionally, a CWOF for a drunk driving charge or other crime may prevent you from entering Canada.

See what I mean by unintended consequences?

http://www.massduidefenselawyer.com/lawyer-attorney-1564205.html

Dealing with the school is a waste of time in my opinion. What your son was experiencing wasn't bullying, it was criminal assault and should be treated as such. The police and repeated nudging of the prosecutor until criminal charges are filed against the perpetrator is what's called for. You speak of quiet kids. Filling out a criminal complaint can be done in absolute silence if desired. My youngest was being what he called bullied. He went to the principal's office and asked to file a criminal complaint against another student. The principal asked AS A FAVOR for a chance to resolve the issue before going to "that extreme". My son never had a problem with that other student again.

tailfins
01-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Continuing last post ....

If in the unlikely event the police don't adequately take action, you can file a complaint against the police with the state Attorney General's office for the incompetence of the police department.