PDA

View Full Version : It was 20 years ago today...

gabosaurus
01-17-2014, 10:54 AM
The Northridge earthquake struck just north of Los Angeles. It was so powerful that, even though the epicenter was 50 miles north of where I lived in Orange County, it threw me out of my bed. Good times, it was not.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-0117-northridge-meadows-20140117-dto,0,7465346.htmlstory#axzz2qfdQxJRS

jimnyc
01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I remember very well. I'm glad we really don't have earthquakes in this area. And at 4:30 in the morning that article says it started? Damn, now that's an alarm clock from hell!

gabosaurus
01-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Imagine you are nine years old and didn't know squat about earthquakes. You run screaming into your older sister's room wondering why the world was ending.

jimnyc
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Imagine you are nine years old and didn't know squat about earthquakes. You run screaming into your older sister's room wondering why the world was ending.

At that time of the morning, and not knowing of them, I suppose that's what I would think as well. I think people that haven't lived through and earthquake may not fully understand them. Something so destructive that can less just a few seconds and kill so many people. I've wanted for quite some time to move to Cali for the beauty and the beaches, probably near San Diego. But F that, I just know that someday that California will become an Island.

Gaffer
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
In 72 I was living in Santa Ana CA. I was awaken early in the morning by my bed being shaken. I couldn't figure out how my wife was doing that, when she came running in the bedroom yelling earthquake. I jump up and ran to my daughters room and grabbed her out of bed and went back to stand in the doorway of the bedroom with wife who was holding the dog. That was the quake that collapsed a bridge overpass and the VA hospital. I have been in a few earthquakes but that was the biggest and longest I have ever experienced.

And then there was the big predicted quake of 72-73 which everyone counted down like new years. In CA it was the equivalent of Y2K, with a lot of laughing. It was the inspiration of a song.

http://youtu.be/j2ZXco32IRU

jimnyc
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
In 72 I was living in Santa Ana CA. I was awaken early in the morning by my bed being shaken. I couldn't figure out how my wife was doing that, when she came running in the bedroom yelling earthquake. I jump up and ran to my daughters room and grabbed her out of bed and went back to stand in the doorway of the bedroom with wife who was holding the dog. That was the quake that collapsed a bridge overpass and the VA hospital. I have been in a few earthquakes but that was the biggest and longest I have ever experienced.

And then there was the big predicted quake of 72-73 which everyone counted down like new years. In CA it was the equivalent of Y2K, with a lot of laughing. It was the inspiration of a song.

You think like I do, had to be the wife doing something!! As Metallica sings: "Sleep with one eye open" LOL

Seriously though, glad all of you guys are here to post with us today and no harm came to you or your families. :)

aboutime
01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
One of the most frighting things I can remember was hearing, and feeling an Earthquake back in October of 1981. My ship was anchored in Valpareiso, Chile late at night.

Even being anchored. The sound of the Earthquake was like another ship, firing their MAIN BATTERY of Guns. And the vibrations that went throughout the ship seemed as if an explosive device had been triggered under our keel.

We were due to leave the following morning, but the other ships rendered assistance as we learned later, it was (I think) 7.1 on the earthquake scale...and many had been killed, with much destruction.
I can't imagine feeling safe living anywhere near the FAULTS in Ca.

gabosaurus
01-17-2014, 03:03 PM
We were due to leave the following morning, but the other ships rendered assistance as we learned later, it was (I think) 7.1 on the earthquake scale...and many had been killed, with much destruction.

Later determined to be 7.5, with a pair of significant aftershocks. That part of Chile has had a dozen or so significant quakes in the last 50 years.

aboutime
01-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Later determined to be 7.5, with a pair of significant aftershocks. That part of Chile has had a dozen or so significant quakes in the last 50 years.

EXxxxxxcuuuuuuuuuuuuuse Me! How terrible of me to dare use the wrong numbers. Not that it matters when I said (I think). Feel better now gabby?

Trigg
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Never having been through any type of natural disaster I have no frame of reference for how scary they might be. It is definitely something that you will never forget and I'm glad you made it through with no injuries.

aboutime
01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Never having been through any type of natural disaster I have no frame of reference for how scary they might be. It is definitely something that you will never forget and I'm glad you made it through with no injuries.

Trigg. Not sure you are referring to me, but. I must admit. After two wars, cancer, two heart attacks, many physical threats in my life. None was closer to being more scary than hearing, and feeling that Earthquake so many years ago.

I don't envy anyone...even gabby, for having to live through such horror. And believe me. It is horrible.

Trigg
01-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Trigg. Not sure you are referring to me, but. I must admit. After two wars, cancer, two heart attacks, many physical threats in my life. None was closer to being more scary than hearing, and feeling that Earthquake so many years ago.

I don't envy anyone...even gabby, for having to live through such horror. And believe me. It is horrible.

You and Gabby really.

I've lived in Florida and New Orleans and not witnessed a hurricane and in the midwest and never seen a tornado. I'd be happy to never see either phenomenon and I feel for those who've lived through such powerful forces of nature.

I have family in Texas and Oklahoma who've hid in basements and storm shelters and have lost homes due to tornadoes. I've seen the destruction that they can cause.

jimnyc
01-17-2014, 05:05 PM
EXxxxxxcuuuuuuuuuuuuuse Me! How terrible of me to dare use the wrong numbers. Not that it matters when I said (I think). Feel better now gabby?

Believe it or not, in this instance, I think she was just adding to what you said. I don't think there was any harm or flaming intended. :)

hjmick
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
I lived in Canoga Park, about 5 miles from the epicenter (which, it turns out, was actually in Reseda).

It was fucking cool. Seriously fucking cool.

Nothing in the world like it.

hjmick
01-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Sylmar Quake of '71?

Gaffer
01-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Sylmar Quake of '71?

That might have been it. I wasn't sure of the year, but my daughter was about a year and a half. She actually remembers bits of it. I think the one that never happened, that the song referenced was in 70 now that I think back on it.

My daughter was in CA and we were talking on the phone when the Oakland earthquake hit during the world series. She was near Sacramento when that happened.

I was also in the Seattle area in 2001 when that earthquake hit. I wonder if I'm an earthquake magnet.

I have been through;

a hurricane
a typhoon
a number of tornadoes
and a forest fire
oh and the fiercest lightning storm I have ever seen.

Nature can be a scary thing.

Voted4Reagan
01-20-2014, 04:09 PM
The Northridge earthquake struck just north of Los Angeles. It was so powerful that, even though the epicenter was 50 miles north of where I lived in Orange County, it threw me out of my bed. Good times, it was not.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-0117-northridge-meadows-20140117-dto,0,7465346.htmlstory#axzz2qfdQxJRS

Pardon me for not feeling your pain over losing a little sleep.

Lose your whole house to a massive hurricane and get back to me with your tale of suffering.

Sorry your rest was disturbed....

hjmick
01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
That might have been it. I wasn't sure of the year, but my daughter was about a year and a half. She actually remembers bits of it. I think the one that never happened, that the song referenced was in 70 now that I think back on it.

My daughter was in CA and we were talking on the phone when the Oakland earthquake hit during the world series. She was near Sacramento when that happened.

I was also in the Seattle area in 2001 when that earthquake hit. I wonder if I'm an earthquake magnet.

I have been through;

a hurricane
a typhoon
a number of tornadoes
and a forest fire
oh and the fiercest lightning storm I have ever seen.

Nature can be a scary thing.

Just earthquakes and hurricanes for me, and a few California wildfires. A tornado watch/warning or two in Ohio...